Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Only when the statement of the former half isn't the case.

Ok. In what from what I said in very first post of this thread you do not agree and think it is crap, in particular?

• Reply 62 of 173
    hill60 wrote: »
    The court cases are ongoing in Australia, Germany and other countries in Europe, your statement is plain wrong.

Not only that, but Motorola just got found guilty of infringing the rubberbanding patent last week in Germany. So clearly other countries find Apple patents valid. I guess Samsung hasn't been tested on that one in court yet in Germany. Only a matter of time.
  • Reply 63 of 173
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    We're talking about an OS that runs only on a closed, unlicensed platform for which the entry fee is typically $1000, vs. a universally-licensed OS that runs on every PC under under the sun, from the good, to the bad, to the downright ugly, at all price points. Not everyone can afford to play in the Apple ecosystem via a Mac. 

It's really rather annoying when people keep throwing out the "$1,000 entry fee" claim. That's not true. You can buy a Mac Mini for $599 - and even less if you're OK with refurbished or a student or faculty member.

The Mac Mini is a perfectly functional computer - I use a 3 year old Mini as my server and second computer and it works fine. It's considerably faster than the 6 year old MBP that I use as my main computer.
    A jury in California, 10 miles away from apple headquarter, literally apple's backyard, found samsung guilty after only 3 days. It surprised all tech journalists and experts at how quickly they were able to reach verdict. Europe, australia and other countries found samsung didn't infringe these patents. The jury is a scam. They had no idea what was going on. most courts found galaxy tab infringed iPad, yet the jury found otherwise. What a joke. 

First, your 'facts' are wrong. Apple has won a number of cases overseas.

Second, maybe no one explained it to you, but Europe consists of a bunch of sovereign countries and Australia and North Korea are also sovereign countries. Each country makes its own patent laws and what happens in the UK is not particularly relevant to what happens here - because the patents are different and the laws are different. For example, it is forbidden by statute to have a software patent in some countries - so Apple losing a patent case for software in those cases is completely irrelevant to the question of whether Samsung copied or not.

Furthermore, anyone with even a shred of honesty has to admit that Samsung copied Apple. Listen to the court testimony when Samsung admitted it. And the multiple documents where Samsung made intentional efforts to copy Apple's products.
    mwhiteco wrote: »
    YOUR the JOKE!!!!

At least the joke probably knows grammar at least as well as a third grader - unlike you.
    munas wrote: »
    You should not be afraid of different opinions.

I'm certainly not afraid of different opinions.

I am, however, disgusted by the endless lies and drivel posted by the Apple haters on this forum.
  • Reply 64 of 173
    analogjack wrote: »
    Wise up, it is precisely the lack of innovation by Samsung that has led to Apple's litigation to protect their innovation. Rather than berate Apple you should be having a go at Samsung for themselves copying rather than innovating. Further you seem to have neglected that Apple has brought under the hood innovation by designing their own SoC which allows them to run a dual core faster than Samsung's quad.

Don't drop your Galaxy S3

Can you link the test where the iphone dual core "runs faster" than a QUAD core s3? Thanx
  • Reply 65 of 173
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It has nothing to do with the words you're saying. If the argument is crap on its own, no amount of "past ownership" can save you.

Hear, hear!

• Reply 66 of 173
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by googleisgod View Post

forget the osx, ios only accounts for only 16% worldwide market share and its decreasing every year.

Mobile/Tablet Top Operating System Share Trend

MONTH

IOS

ANDROID

JAVA ME

BLACKBERRY

SYMBIAN

OTHER

August, 2011

53.04%

15.98%

20.57%

3.33%

6.21%

0.88%

September, 2011

54.65%

16.26%

18.52%

3.29%

6.12%

1.16%

October, 2011

61.50%

18.86%

12.81%

2.48%

3.47%

0.90%

November, 2011

54.04%

16.70%

19.69%

3.18%

5.27%

1.12%

December, 2011

52.10%

16.15%

21.27%

3.51%

5.76%

1.20%

January, 2012

53.65%

18.12%

19.19%

2.59%

5.20%

1.24%

February, 2012

60.59%

19.02%

14.16%

2.15%

2.77%

1.32%

March, 2012

59.87%

18.66%

15.10%

2.21%

2.77%

1.40%

April, 2012

63.19%

19.27%

11.83%

2.04%

2.24%

1.42%

May, 2012

62.65%

19.69%

12.17%

2.09%

1.86%

1.54%

June, 2012

65.27%

19.73%

10.22%

1.87%

1.49%

1.42%
  • Reply 67 of 173
    I'd love to have a company that only makes [I]worthless niche products [/I]no one likes and yet at the same time has massive lines, has all the media attention, best ratings, highest profit, highest revenue, and is the most valuable company in the world.
  • Reply 68 of 173
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

At least the joke probably knows grammar at least as well as a third grader - unlike you.

Oh, I thought he was making a pun on the word "you're".

• Reply 69 of 173
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member

Apple is going to go for the maximum penalty not because they need it for anything, not because they feel Samsung is competing with them, but because they are making an EXAMPLE out of Samsung.  

Apple innovated and many companies copied them.  Apple patented their designs, not just rectangles and rounded corners, but their DESIGNS.  If you copy their DESIGNS, expect to be sued and expect to lose.  

Apple may not get a penny from Samsung and certainly doesn't need the money, but it should serve as a deterrent to other companies designing phones.

• Reply 70 of 173
    Agreed. And ignore the apologists. Most of them are just greedy stockholders anyway who are about as partial as Fixed News.

Gotta say, I don't think I've ever been more ashamed of Apple. Amazing what a difference 5 years makes.

I hope y'all realize that all of this most likely be overturned in appeals court. In the end, all Apple is going to receive is a damaged reputation and a mountain of legal bills.

Quote:

apple, why don't you stick to innovation instead of litigation? your lack of innovation really shows in your recent products: just adding features or copying features that had been on android for years, and still doing a terrible job at it (e.g. new maps). iphone 5 bring nothing new to the market. Just my opinion.

• Reply 71 of 173

Enough, is Enough !!!!!!!!!!  Stop the greedy machine !!!!!!!!!!!  Keep making good hardware , phone, music players and that will give enough dough for centuries to come !!!!!  I know they already learned what patent means !!!!  

Peace

• Reply 72 of 173

Originally Posted by divini View Post

Enough, is Enough !!!!!!!!!!  Stop the greedy machine !!!!!!!!!!!  Keep making good hardware , phone, music players and that will give enough dough for centuries to come !!!!!  I know they already learned what patents means !!!!  

Peace

"Peace… no peace… "

"Is that glass bulletproof?"

"No, sir."

• Reply 73 of 173
    You suck at making lame excuses to keep kneeling down to apple and defending apple at any cost. Typical fanatic. forget the osx, ios only accounts for only 16% worldwide market share and its decreasing every year. Its gonna be a niche product in a few more years, just like osx. 

And?

There's nothing wrong with niche.
  • Reply 74 of 173
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's really rather annoying when people keep throwing out the "$1,000 entry fee" claim. That's not true. You can buy a Mac Mini for $599 - and even less if you're OK with refurbished or a student or faculty member.
    The Mac Mini is a perfectly functional computer - I use a 3 year old Mini as my server and second computer and it works fine. It's considerably faster than the 6 year old MBP that I use as my main computer.
    First, your 'facts' are wrong. Apple has won a number of cases overseas.
    Second, maybe no one explained it to you, but Europe consists of a bunch of sovereign countries and Australia and North Korea are also sovereign countries. Each country makes its own patent laws and what happens in the UK is not particularly relevant to what happens here - because the patents are different and the laws are different. For example, it is forbidden by statute to have a software patent in some countries - so Apple losing a patent case for software in those cases is completely irrelevant to the question of whether Samsung copied or not.
    Furthermore, anyone with even a shred of honesty has to admit that Samsung copied Apple. Listen to the court testimony when Samsung admitted it. And the multiple documents where Samsung made intentional efforts to copy Apple's products.
    I'm certainly not afraid of different opinions.
    I am, however, disgusted by the endless lies and drivel posted by the Apple haters on this forum.

And what do you get with a Mac Mini for $599? Not much, still need several hundred dollars worth of peripherals. Which takes us back to about $1000.
  • Reply 75 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is the *only* Mac for less than $1000 and it's not even a laptop. Not even an iMac. All the growth is in laptops and mobiles. One Mac that costs $599 in a limited, lean lineup of machines that are full of *other* form factors that are very much in demand, almost doesn't even count. For all intents and purposes, the entry fee *is* at least $1000. Most people buy new macs, not refurbs or other Macs available through "special" means.

Do you really think the Mini is a big seller in Apple's lineup, even with that price tag? Hardly. It's all about laptops and to a lesser extent, iMacs.

• Reply 76 of 173
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

You suck at making lame excuses to keep kneeling down to apple and defending apple at any cost. Typical fanatic. forget the osx, ios only accounts for only 16% worldwide market share and its decreasing every year. Its gonna be a niche product in a few more years, just like osx. 

And you call people here fanatics? If you believe what you're saying, you're fucking dellusional. Yes, iOS is going to become a "niche" product after the iPhone is selling anywhere from 5-8 million units in its 1st weekend of the latest "pathetic and outdated" version, and when each new phone continues to sell more than all previous generations combined. Not to forget iPad, which even slobbering trolls like you have to admit completely dominates the tablet space in all aspects. Meanwhile, Macs continue to smash their own sales records quarter after quarter, and have outgrown the PC industry for the past several years. But yeah, iPhone will magically become "niche" next month or something, the same thing foaming at the mouth Apple hating, rabid trolls like you have been saying since the iPhone 1st debuted, and yet every time it simply smashes all previous metrics of success and continues to skyrocket. Strange how people like you don't actually spend time, oh I don't know, enjoying/using your phones or the products you like, instead of signing up to forums dedicated to products/companies you despise simply to troll and spread bullshit. The thought has never occured to me to sign up to sites dedicated to products I don't like simply to bash those products. What a pathetic, empty life you must lead to be compelled to do this. 

• Reply 77 of 173
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And what do you get with a Mac Mini for $599? Not much, still need several hundred dollars worth of peripherals. Which takes us back to about $1000.

quadra 610 wrote: »
    That is the *only* Mac for less than $1000 and it's not even a laptop. Not even an iMac. All the growth is in laptops and mobiles. One Mac that costs $599 in a limited, lean lineup of machines that are full of *other* form factors that are very much in demand, almost doesn't even count. For all intents and purposes, the entry fee *is* at least $1000. Most people buy new macs, not refurbs or other Macs available through "special" means.

Do you really think the Mini is a big seller in Apple's lineup, even with that price tag? Hardly. It's all about laptops and to a lesser extent, iMacs.

That may be true, but it's still false to say that the entry entry for Apple is $1,000. Most people have a monitor and keyboard around, but if they don't, you can get workable ones for $100 or so.
  • Reply 78 of 173
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

This guy is why we need to fix the education system.

By the way, if Google is God, then God needs to put a bit more work into the following creations:

Google Wave

Google Buzz

Google+

ChromeOS

Okurt

Google Answers

Dodgeball

Google knol

Google Page Creator

Google Audio Ads

Google Video Player

Google Print Ads

WebM

Best of luck with the Nexus tablet, 'God'.

• Reply 79 of 173
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Could this round backfire on Apple?

Contrary to what some critics and trolls would have you believe this is not the least bit damaging to Apple's public image. As has been pointed out this is all about sending a message to would be copycats that Apple intends to make their lives as miserable as possible if they choose to copy rather than compete. Recent ads by Samsung, Motorola, and Nokia indicate to me that this is getting under their skins big time and they are starting to lash out wildly in desperation. Maybe the jury verdict will be overturned, maybe not. Except for the cultist trolls who worship them Samsung's reputation has taken a big hit. I haven't heard a single person in my personal sphere, tech or otherwise, who doesn't believe Apple is just protecting its innovations from cheap knock-off copycats.

• Reply 80 of 173
    ireland wrote: »
    Could this round backfire on Apple?

After the first round of court cases... Apple pre-sold 2 million iPhone 5 in 24 hours.

Now estimates are that Apple will sell 8 million iPhone 5 this first weekend.

So no... I don't think this next round of court cases will affect Apple.

I really don't think the buying public are that interested in courtroom drama.