NYT: iOS Maps another internet services blunder for Apple

Comments

• Reply 381 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Then there is the allegation by Open Street Maps that some people from IP addresses at Google were falsifying map changes in Open Street Maps for whatever reason. Why did that occur? It makes no sense. Open Street Maps lets approved users make changes without authorization form administrators. Is this the same Open Street Maps that form the base for Apple Maps?

http://opengeodata.org/google-ip-vandalizing-openstreetmap

Google has never been shy about employing these sort of underhanded tactics to sabotage competitors and them blaming it on "rogue" contractors when they get caught. Plus, it may have been "inadvertent", too. A lot of what goes on at Google is "inadvertent".

Remember this: http://boingboing.net/2012/01/13/google-fraudulently-solicits-f.html

• Reply 382 of 454
    Maps biggest flaw is its POI (points of interest) database. I can't find businesses I KNOW are there. Fortunately, all it takes is one check to the right company to fix this.
  • Reply 383 of 454
    tbell wrote: »
    isheldon wrote: »
    Why do Apple's work when we never had to for Google?

I don't suffer fools lightly.

Google has always asked for crowd feed back to correct errors.  Perhaps, you are an all for yourself type of person. Cool. Some people like to think of the world as a community where we should pitch in to help each other out to the benefit of us all. It would be impossible for a company like Google or Apple to provide the sophisticated maps they offer without crowd impute. 

You know, your post says a lot about a lot of things... Especially about an individual's perspective of his place and responsibilities in the world.

Well said!
  • Reply 384 of 454
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Then there is the allegation by Open Street Maps that some people from IP addresses at Google were falsifying map changes in Open Street Maps for whatever reason. Why did that occur? It makes no sense. Open Street Maps lets approved users make changes without authorization form administrators. Is this the same Open Street Maps that form the base for Apple Maps?

Google has never been shy about employing these sort of underhanded tactics to sabotage competitors and them blaming it on "rogue" contractors when they get caught. Plus, it may have been "inadvertent", too. A lot of what goes on at Google is "inadvertent".

Remember this: http://boingboing.net/2012/01/13/google-fraudulently-solicits-f.html

Sure but my remarks were questioning the wisdom of Apple choosing Open Street Maps as a foundation for their service when there is an obvious security of data integrity issue using a system that lets users change the data set at their own discretion, even users from Google.

• Reply 385 of 454
    mstone wrote: »
    anonymouse wrote: »
    mstone wrote: »

Sure but my remarks were questioning the wisdom of Apple choosing Open Street Maps as a foundation for their service when there is an obvious security of data integrity issue using a system that lets users change the data set at their own discretion, even users from Google.

I wonder, if Apple is using OSM data… Or just the OSM format to generate maps from TomTom (and others) data. If they are using OSM data, I hope they are validating it against their other data sources.

This is beginning to get scary. Google appears to have some organizational problems and ethical standards problems -- There certainly seem to be a lot of inadvertent mistakes made by their employees or contractors.

Edit: I am encouraged however, by remembering that the Apollo mission that landed Astronuts on the Moon, was guided by an IBM suitcase computer. This computer provided real-time guidance while in space. It was actually three computers in one… And each computer calculated the guidance information separately. When there was an anomaly in the results, they voted on the answer.

Based on this success it should be possible to generate valid maps from disparate data sources.
  • Reply 386 of 454
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wonder, if Apple is using OSM data… Or just the OSM format to generate maps from TomTom (and others) data. If they are using OSM data, I hope they are validating it against their other data sources.

As an educated guess, I think Apple would use OpenStreetMaps to "fill in the blanks" for bikers, hikers, park visitors and other pedestrians. While Tomtom has a very good map of routable roads for vehicles, pedestrian traffic isn't a strong point of theirs. OSM has more data available for those users walking or biking.

• Reply 387 of 454
    You know, your post says a lot about a lot of things... Especially about an individual's perspective of his place and responsibilities in the world.
    Well said!

I'm not responsible for Apple's Maps- Apple is!
    Geesh!
  • Reply 388 of 454
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Edit: I am encouraged however, by remembering that the Apollo mission that landed Astronuts on the Moon, was guided by an IBM suitcase computer. This computer provided real-time guidance while in space. It was actually three computers in one… And each computer calculated the guidance information separately. When there was an anomaly in the results, they voted on the answer.

Based on this success it should be possible to generate valid maps from disparate data sources.

Of course it is. That's what digital mapmakers do!

• Reply 389 of 454
    Use FlyOver if your city is covered.
    You can actually zoom to street levels.  It's more consistent than street view.

As a frequent traveller to Washington DC with all its circles and crossed diagonal streets, StreetView was indispensable. There is no substitute.
  • Reply 390 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That makes a big assumption that Steve Jobs and others at Apple weren't cognizant that Android could become problematic and a competitor at some future point. I'm of the opinion Apple knew exactly who they were getting in bed with and were using Google to Apple's benefit as long as they could, but realized at some point they'd need to go. That point perhaps just came a lot faster than Apple may have projected.

Maybe Mr. Jobs even felt he could better control or at the least strongly influence Google's plans by partnering with them, making it more beneficial to play along for the moment than compete. I personally believe Steve Jobs was fully aware of Android's potential but hoped to slow things down by making it worth Google's while to do as he asked. The insult came when they did not do as he said. That made it time to start breaking the partnership.

Personally I give Mr Jobs and Apple's executive team a lot more credit for reading the market and identifying tech and wouldn't for even a moment suggest they were so clueless and ignorant as to not know what Google was working on or it's potential. IMO if they were blindsided by anything it was the speed of Android's uptake, not that Android became a competitor.

Spoken like a true mole.. rationalize much? Even when weasels try to disguise themselves, you can still smell them for what they are..

• Reply 391 of 454

The word 'Internet' is capitalized. The subject of this article reads, 'NYT: iOS Maps another internet services blunder for Apple.'

Perhaps it should read, 'internet, another spelling blunder for AppleInsider.'

Speaking of correcting yourself, I wish you'd revert to your simpler layout. Yours now is too busy, too difficult to read quickly.

• Reply 392 of 454
    Well said!

I'm not responsible for Apple's Maps- Apple is!
    Geesh!

Didn't say you were...
  • Reply 393 of 454
    Didn't say you were...

Right- you just inferred it. Very different .
  • Reply 394 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

That doesn't mean what you think it does.

• Reply 395 of 454
    Didn't say you were...

To your mind, I implied it... But, you are the one who inferred it.

As the original responder said... If that's the way you roll, cool!
  • Reply 396 of 454
    anonymouse wrote: »
    That doesn't mean what you think it does.

To your mind, I implied it... But, you are the one who inferred it.
    As the original responder said... If that's the way you roll, cool!

My this discussion really has helped this thread by showing my failing with the vocabu-checker. Bazinga!
  • Reply 397 of 454
    WOT...

Anyone here have experience with a mixed OS X Windows 7 WiFi network?

Should I be concerned about a Windows virus contaminating the network and possibly destroying data on Macs or external Mac HDDs -- Thunderbolt, USB and FireWire?

Or can I be assured that any exposure is limited to the Windows boxes?

I have absolutely no time or desire to admin Windows boxes!

TIA
  • Reply 398 of 454
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    As a frequent traveller to Washington DC with all its circles and crossed diagonal streets, StreetView was indispensable. There is no substitute.

Sorry, but if you're a frequent traveler to DC and can't find your way around with a map, then you need more help than this forum can give you.

If you can read a map, Streetview doesn't add much (nor does Flyover).
  • Reply 399 of 454
    jragosta wrote: »
    Sorry, but if you're a frequent traveler to DC and can't find your way around with a map, then you need more help than this forum can give you.

Excuse me, I didn't need a map with StreetView- that's its whole point!
    Do you want me to add and subtract with an abacus too?
  • Reply 400 of 454
    jragosta wrote: »

Excuse me, I didn't need a map with StreetView- that's its whole point!
    Do you want me to add and subtract with an abacus too?

I don't know you, but you appear to me to have a very negative attitude...

Is there something bothering you?

It is very depressing to try to engage a conversation...

What can I do?