NYT: iOS Maps another internet services blunder for Apple

Comments

• Reply 421 of 454
    … So he doesn't need to figure out how to get there as long as he can see what it looks like? :lol:

Now I'm picturing him driving thousands of miles aimlessly, holding his 5.1.1 iPad in his lap, looking between it and the scenery around him. 

"Nope." *looks down, looks up* "Nope." *looks down, looks up* "Nope." *looks down, looks up* "Nope." *looks down, looks up* … 

Except I was walking not driving.
    And what do you think people used StreetView for and why are they so adamant about missing it? Never once did I mention driving.
  • Reply 422 of 454
    philboogie wrote: »
    Life is like a mirror: you'll receive what you give to others first.
    So, yes, you are responsible. And have been; Google Maps got better over time. You said you've used it. So for that, I thank you sir.

I never had a problem w Google Maps, never had to file a report
    It just worked.
  • Reply 423 of 454
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    isheldon wrote: »
    I did say that as he and everyone else obviously understood. You obviously need a reading App. And thank for calling me a dumb troll. What does that make you?
    I love this- Apple's Map defenders are vitriolic in defense of a lousy Map App. How low can you go?

No, 'everyone else' didn't understand - as is clear from the comments.

In the end, though, you still haven't presented any case why Street View is essential as you claimed. Anyone with even the most basic map-reading skills can find their location more easily with a map than with Streetview. Using Streetview to find your location is just plain insane. Using it to VERIFY the location you found on the map is slightly less insane, but still doesn't make any sense. If you can read a map, you don't need to look at streetview to know that you're in the right place.
  • Reply 424 of 454

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Except I was walking not driving.

Fine, you're walking aimlessly, looking between your iPad and your surroundings, trying to find parity.

• Reply 425 of 454
    isheldon wrote: »
    I never had a problem w Google Maps, never had to file a report
    It just worked.

And I never had a problem with Apple's Maps, never had to file a report. It just worked.

So what's your point?

As you Apple-haters have been told repeatedly: Data is not the plural for anecdote.
  • Reply 426 of 454
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rfhjr wrote: »
    In f[act, from MobileMe to iTunes, to iCloud, apple seems to "get" Internet services like few companies do.
    Right on!

Right, and not to overlook Apple.com, their own online store, and their massively competent software update systems.

I haven't been able to read through 400 + posts here, but a search under "nocera" tells me that no one mentioned this gem from Joe "slimebucket" Nocera, about Apple's imminent doom—in the New York Times!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/opinion/nocera-has-apple-peaked.html

(via Gruber and the Macalope)

It seems a certain kind of "tech jounalist" is falling all over himself to be the first to give reasons for Apple's demise. Dan Lyons is another one, now reduced to writing for Gizmodo.

There's something weird about these guys. It's like they can't stand to see competence and polish succeed. They want to return to the good old days of American mediocrity. They jump on Apples's every blunder, as if to say, "See, this drive for perfection will not work out in the end, it was all Steve Jobs to begin with, it will all come crashing down, no (American) company can maintain this trajectory of success for long."

One problem they have is that their powers to imagine an evolving and expanding future for Apple is blocked by their envious hope for Apple's downfall. They have no clue that Jobs and Ive and who knows how many others at the company have plotted revolutionary products far into the future.
  • Reply 427 of 454
    philboogie wrote: »
    WOT...

Anyone here have experience with a mixed OS X Windows 7 WiFi network?

Should I be concerned about a Windows virus contaminating the network and possibly destroying data on Macs or external Mac HDDs -- Thunderbolt, USB and FireWire?

Or can I be assured that any exposure is limited to the Windows boxes?

I have absolutely no time or desire to admin Windows boxes!

TIA

I have. WiFi and wired, and you can indeed rest assure there is nothing to worry about. You have shown your computers skills over and over which leads me to believe you already know the do's and don'ts. Just don't have the OSX users run as root and click ok to every popup. I don't know however if a Windows virus could change the WiFi settings on the device itself - that obviously would effect Mac users as well. But nothing a simple reset couldn't fix.

Thank you much appreciated!

My grandkids thank you too… Sigh!
  • Reply 428 of 454
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In the end, though, you still haven't presented any case why Street View is essential as you claimed. Anyone with even the most basic map-reading skills can find their location more easily with a map than with Streetview. Using Streetview to find your location is just plain insane. Using it to VERIFY the location you found on the map is slightly less insane, but still doesn't make any sense. If you can read a map, you don't need to look at streetview to know that you're in the right place.

In my opinion that's not true. Sometimes street numbers may not be readily evident, especially while driving, making a preview of what your're looking for via Streetview fairly helpful and time-saving.

I realize too that it's a bit of a specialty use but I often pull up Streetview when talking with a client on the phone about site signs or business identification including competing signage or obstructions around them. In that usage I don't need it in conjunction with navigation, but it sure saves me a lot of on-site visits.

• Reply 429 of 454
    gatorguy wrote: »
    In my opinion that's not true. Sometimes street numbers may not be readily evident, especially while driving, making a preview of what your're looking for via Streetview fairly helpful and time-saving.

You shouldn't be using Streetview while you're driving.

That aside, there's a little marker that shows your location on the map. When your marker gets to your destination, you're there.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I realize too that it's a bit of a specialty use but I often pull up Streetview when talking with a client on the phone about site signs or business identification including competing signage or obstructions around them. In that usage I don't need it in conjunction with navigation, but it sure saves me a lot of on-site visits.

Then you can use street view on your PC.

In the end, though, that has nothing to do with finding an address and is therefore not essential as iSheldon claimed that it was. Nice of you to admit that he's wrong about it being essential.
  • Reply 430 of 454
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

That aside, there's a little marker that shows your location on the map. When your marker gets to your destination, you're there.

Then you can use street view on your PC.

In the end, though, that has nothing to do with finding an address and is therefore not essential as iSheldon claimed that it was. Nice of you to admit that he's wrong about it being essential.

I'd agree that it's not essential. I completely disagree with you that it's useless or makes no sense. FWIW, why is driving and looking at a map on screen to see when you get to your "marker" less dangerous than glancing at Streetview on screen to verify you're "there"? Your suggestion is what makes no sense.

• Reply 431 of 454
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

I have to admit that I have used streetview quite a lot. Figuring out where I might be able to park, which entrance or driveway I want, confirming that a business is where the map says it is etc.. Especially in busy traffic areas it is useful to have seen that stuff in advance, and it is not always clear from above. On the other hand, I still wonder about the long-term viability of streetview with all the related privacy fuss. If it doesn't get shut down and Google manage to keep it moderately up to date, then I would expect it to stay popular, and eventually, other companies will likely want to have their own version. It clearly isn't essential, but neither is a cell phone.

• Reply 432 of 454

Quote:

No kidding!

One shouldn't be using the phone at all!

• Reply 433 of 454
    muppetry wrote: »
    I have to admit that I have used streetview quite a lot. Figuring out where I might be able to park, which entrance or driveway I want, confirming that a business is where the map says it is etc.. Especially in busy traffic areas it is useful to have seen that stuff in advance, and it is not always clear from above. On the other hand, I still wonder about the long-term viability of streetview with all the related privacy fuss. If it doesn't get shut down and Google manage to keep it moderately up to date, then I would expect it to stay popular, and eventually, other companies will likely want to have their own version. It clearly isn't essential, but neither is a cell phone.

Oh a few people might find something interesting to do with it. That does not make it indispensable as was claimed.
  • Reply 435 of 454

Come off it. Cook knows how to run a frigging company. 

But I'll say that if he has the same input into most of the creative and UX decisions as Steve, that needs to stop posthaste.

• Reply 436 of 454

Apple definitely showed potential for Maps, but the data is what seems really to be dragging it down. I think that the Apple maps team is probably trying to figure out why it sucks so badly, and they're going to find that it's the data. The software itself isn't horrible so much as the framework behind it which causes all the inaccuracies. Still, I do think they have a solid base, and under Tim's guidance we will see a fix at Apple's next media event. I'm still a doubter of the ipad mini, but if that happens, we will surely see a fix then.

• Reply 437 of 454
    simtub wrote: »

What's your point? That the author doesn't understand the difference between correlation and causation? If that's your point, you're absolutely correct.
  • Reply 438 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Even if they did release a web version, it would probably be an iCloud feature, which means iOS & OS X users only. Apple only seems interested in ads as a way for developers to release ad supported software, so it's hard to see them offering a free to everyone, ad supported, web version. Still that's a large and growing number of users.

The iCloud is completely available to Windows machines.Apple wisely set this up so families or organizations with iPhones or iPads with all Windows computers or mixed Win/OSX computers would have no problem syncing all their data. It's bween that way from day one.

• Reply 439 of 454
    khebakheba Posts: 4member

Navteq is owned by Nokia.. they'll never give that to Apple

• Reply 440 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by kheba View Post

Navteq is owned by Nokia.. they'll never give that to Apple

Nokia uses C3 Technologies for its 3D mapping... Apple will never let them use that