Revised Apple website no longer calls iOS 6 Maps most 'powerful'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake.

You and your story are all wet! Yup, it's unbelievable.image

• Reply 22 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

My first real use of the new maps app wasn't very impressive. I was looking for a Sports Authority and it found two locations, both of which were no longer in business, and it did not have the locations for the new ones (a friend that was with me found the correct locations on his Lumia.) I will probably be using google maps from now on, although the turn by turn directions will be nice when the data catches up. image

The features are irrelevant until the data is (something like) reliable.

maps.nokia.com

There you go, you can now use the same maps as your "friend's Lumia".

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I like how nokia maps works fine on an iPhone at m.maps.nokia.com however if you go just maps.nokia.com from a desktop Safari it asks you to accept 50 MB of local storage on your computer and if you decline, you cannot get out. It effectively kills your browser session and you have to force quit.

• Reply 23 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidinsf View Post

It's not like Apple is FORCING you to upgrade to iOS 6 or buy a new iPhone 5.

Nothing was advertised about iOS 6 that would lead someone to believe it was a downgrade in any way.

iOS 6 contains security updates not provided in iOS 5.

Apple does not provide a downgrade path from iOS 6 back to 5.

If this isn't "forcing" customers to upgrade, then it's certainly coercing them--and then locking them--into it.

• Reply 24 of 114
    Drove from Florida to NC and had no problems with the iOS maps taking me directly where i need to go.
  • Reply 25 of 114

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

It's plain ignorant to suggest this map controversy is overdone.

It's plain ignorant to suggest it isn't.

They need to bring google maps back ASAP and spend some time fixing apple maps or just dump it.

Google Maps needs removed and replaced with Yahoo! Maps. Because the same frigging things happened when it was launched and you didn't see anyone whining then.

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If this isn't "forcing" customers to upgrade, then it's certainly coercing them--and then locking them--into it.

Just like you're "coerced" into 10.x.x updates… 

• Reply 26 of 114

Quote:

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.

I call BS on this. You are just piling on and have accepted the troll bait... Move along... Nothing to see here...

• Reply 27 of 114
    mstone wrote: »
    I like how nokia maps works fine on an iPhone at m.maps.nokia.com however if you go just maps.nokia.com from a desktop Safari it asks you to accept 50 MB of local storage on your computer and if you decline, you cannot get out. It effectively kills your browser session and you have to force quit.

Makes sense. 'Nokia, a force quit company'

PS why are single-digit IQ people allowed to drive?

(I wanted to thumb up TS & Muppetry but can't as I'm on an iPad...)
  • Reply 28 of 114
    [CODE][/CODE]I agree with Quadra and others that this whole kerfuffle is overblown. Moreover, it was entirely predictable. When something is as well done as Apple products typically are, the only opportunity to snag eyeballs are of the man-bites-dog variety. Who wants to read about the superlative sales numbers and the good stuff? We saw this with "antenna gate" and will see it again as long as Apple is relevant. It seems to be human nature to nit pick when something is fundamentally excellent.

I have been using Waze for a year or so and it has served me well. Not perfect, but mostly good. Apple maps has now taken its place and I have yet to have a problem. I know, Apple's map app was born in Kenya and was made by Muslims. It's true, I saw it on the internets.
  • Reply 29 of 114

Quote:

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.

A free car wash is a free car wash hahahha

• Reply 30 of 114
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneNuts View Post

Apple made the same mistake on their Maps app as they did with Final Cut Pro. They pulled the plug on a popular application to replace it with a brand new 1.0 version application with great potential and scalability, but short on features and content.

You're correct .... remember all of the "pros" who called it garbage? Look what PC Mag says about it now ..... "Final Cut Pro X is a delight to work in compared with other serious video editing software. Final Cut Pro X brings the prosumer loads of power, ease-of-use, and no-wait performance. The speed gains (from 64-bit code and multicore support), the two-thirds price cut, and some nimble new tools in a fluid, highly usable and precise interface make Final Cut Pro X our Editors' Choice for high-end video editing." ...... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388456,00.asp (bold font mine)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneNuts View Post

Also, there isn't really anything new in the iOS version

Nothing new? .... I'd say turn by turn navigation is new and is probably the most used and important feature of any mapping system, no?

• Reply 31 of 114
    I call BS on this. You are just piling on and have accepted the troll bait... Move along... Nothing to see here...

Off topic: How has 3 day experience with your iPhone 5 been so far? Have you tested out Apple Maps in Finlandia?
  • Reply 32 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just like you're "coerced" into 10.x.x updates… 

Not exactly. Macs are more open than iOS devices, so it's possible (albeit inconvenient) to downgrade a Mac. Furthermore, Apple routinely provides security updates for older major releases of Mac OS X.

• Reply 33 of 114

This morning the Maps app directed me into an active volcano. I'm on the rim watching the guys pull my car out of the lava now.

• Reply 34 of 114

That's a mighty fine molehill you got there, AI. Got any plans to post real news, or is it going to be maps this and maps that for the rest of the week?

• Reply 35 of 114
    "Nothing was advertised about iOS 6 that would lead someone to believe it was a downgrade in any way.
    iOS 6 contains security updates not provided in iOS 5.
    Apple does not provide a downgrade path from iOS 6 back to 5.

If this isn't "forcing" customers to upgrade, then it's certainly coercing them--and then locking them--into it."

So I don't see where you were actually reporting any problems, you just seem to be challenging others. My own personal experiences, not those I've read about in the "news", lead to my comments...
  • Reply 36 of 114
    notscott wrote: »
    This morning the Maps app directed me into an active volcano. I'm on the rim watching the guys pull my car out of the lava now.
    Haha... :)
  • Reply 37 of 114
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    vaelian wrote: »
    But Google at least sends you to addresses related to your search query; Apple maps sends you to completely random places (when it doesn't simply tell you that it couldn't find anything despite the fact that what you're looking for is perfectly charted on the map being displayed right on your screen).
    Obviously you are referencing the faked address Motorola ad. Personally Apple Maps works great for me. I actually haven't had that particular problem since I've been using it, but I can tell you, Google was quite fond of doing that to me. Often sends me to addresses on the East coast when I search with my locator firmly on the West. The only problem I have had with Apple maps so far is that it tried to tell me there was a WalMart a mile from me (where I know there's not one) located in a single family home in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. But then google's done that to me quite often, I've even driven to Google supplied addresses to find they were dead wrong -- so much so I got into the habit of always calling first (how's that for a reliable App?). Now, I do miss Street View, but that alone doesn't make or break my mapping experience, nor does it qualify Google as a superior mapping app to Apple's. Again, I find this a trumped up argument. Google has been guilty of this for years, and now Apple does it too and it's the worst app ever invented? Don't think so. Plus, outside of the Motorola ad, there's little evidence that this is endemic to Apple's App. These kinds of complaints seem generated by someone unwilling to take personal responsibility for the search terms they input. Garbage in, garbage out. An Android using friend of mine, loves to take my iPhone and ask Siri questions that few humans could answer much less an AI. And of course Siri has trouble with complex and esoteric questions for which it was not otherwise intended. But to my friend it's proof positive Siri is fundamentally flawed. That's what I feel like I'm seeing here. It's fun to poke fun at technology that fails to live up to the expeditions Star Trek has embedded in us, but fundamentally wrong to take the human counterpart out of the equation and criticize the product in a vacuum.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    [S]Redacted joke about Research in Motion blaming Apple Maps for driving them into a financial hole because I decided it was more sad than funny.[/S]
  • Reply 39 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nizzard wrote: »

Next time, wash your car so Apple doesn't have to do it for you.
    vaelian wrote: »
    The search doesn't even work properly, so what exactly can it do with the data? The app has trouble finding places correctly charted o the map, it doesn't even recognize that 'a' and 'â' represent the same letter, it can't even understand common abbreviations, so what exactly can it do better than others that has actual relevance?

I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are statistically any worse than Google's. You've been whining for a week and STILL haven't provided a shred of evidence.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Can Appleinsider move on from this bullshit? Please? This shit is plastered over every other techsite with all the haters foaming at the mouth with glee. Why does AI have to plaster trash like the NYT article on tis front page, and reward the writers with even more clicks. Maps have worked better for me than the old one ever did, and everyday I benefit from the turn by turn, better cartography, vector tiles, iOS integration, etc. It's managed to find every search I've done in my city, and the one it DIDNT find, Google maps didn't either. Yes, they have to keep working on the data and POIs, but anyone who expected it to be on the same level as Google's on day 1, a cmpany who has spent the last 10 years with publically available maps and getting feedback from billions every single day, is insane and irrational. It is in many ways superior to what we had before, and in some ways inferior- and in those cases, it takes one tap to go to "maps.google.com" or any other map app, and there's more options today than there was in iOS5, and overall the mapping situation is BETTER not worse, as we have built in features that have been requested for a long time. The Apple hate fest machine is unbelievable, and propagated by those who haven't even USED the app, yet are so certain it's 'appalling', because they literally have nothing else to bash Apple over anymore. 

This self-entitled, self-righteous whining is pathetic.