Revised Apple website no longer calls iOS 6 Maps most 'powerful'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

OK. So posting your anti-Apple-maps sentiments on this forum is one of the more important things you have to tend to?

My postings are not based on emotions but rather factually based; therefore not a "sentiment" so therefore I can't answer that question.

No - they are your sentiments:

sentiment |?sen(t)?m?nt|nouna view of or attitude toward a situation or event; an opinion

In any case, I guess I'll spell it out that it seems odd that you have so much time to post your complaints on this forum, which achieves very little, but no time to report the subjects of your complaints to Apple, who might actually be able to fix your issues.

• Reply 82 of 114

it really is incredible all the who ha about apple maps.. I use turn by turn navigation from TomTom and I get sent up the wrong street, roads been closed, then I go over to Google maps and check what it says.. sometimes it right sometimes its not... get it must be hard being prefect in this unreal world. Must be hard to accpet that most of them get it right most of the time.. nothing to maon about then I guess ! 

• Reply 83 of 114
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vaelian wrote: »
    Funny you're still waiting for something you never asked... Also, why are you only accepting statistical evidence? What about all the fundamental flaws that I've pointed out already? Why are those not valid evidence? Why have you never replied to any of the posts where I indicated those flaws?

I've only asked you a dozen times or so. I guess your memory is no better than your logical thinking skills.

Evidence doesn't have to be statistical. It does, however, have to be representative - which no one has provided.

Nobody blames Apple for trying to build their own mapping platform; what people blame Apple for is feeding that clearly inferior platform down everyone's throats.

And, yet, no one has shown that Apple's Maps is "clearly inferior". your anecdotal claims are not proof. You'd need to pick some representative samples and compare the results of the two platforms and see if one is any more or less reliable than the other. You continually refuse to do so. Why is that?

The only one who has atempted to do that is Consumer Reports. They at least did a side-by-side comparison and found no different. Their sample was probably not representative, but it's the best we have so far.
    psych_guy wrote: »
    Sure they do. A hampered and lame app without turn-by-turn navigation right?

Interestingly, I was talking with a friend today. She was raving about how happy she is with the Maps on her new iPhone 5.
    euphonious wrote: »
    Oh, for goodness' sake. Perhaps nobody has compiled any 'statistical' evidence, so you're just going to have to accept the torrent of individual data points indicating as such.

If you didn't have a laughable inability to accept any flaws in any Apple product, this wouldn't be anywhere near as hard for you.

I'm perfectly willing to accept proven flaws in Apple's products. Incessant whining from people who think that anecdotes are proof is not useful.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I've only asked you a dozen times or so. I guess your memory is no better than your logical thinking skills.

Evidence doesn't have to be statistical. It does, however, have to be representative - which no one has provided.

And, yet, no one has shown that Apple's Maps is "clearly inferior". your anecdotal claims are not proof. You'd need to pick some representative samples and compare the results of the two platforms and see if one is any more or less reliable than the other. You continually refuse to do so. Why is that?

The only one who has atempted to do that is Consumer Reports. They at least did a side-by-side comparison and found no different. Their sample was probably not representative, but it's the best we have so far.

Interestingly, I was talking with a friend today. She was raving about how happy she is with the Maps on her new iPhone 5.

I'm perfectly willing to accept proven flaws in Apple's products. Incessant whining from people who think that anecdotes are proof is not useful.

Just curious, what do you do for a living?

• Reply 85 of 114

I'm pro Apple…

This I wouldn't buy if you sold it to me.

Who or what is a Tekstud?

And that's as good as a confirmation in my book.

• Reply 86 of 114
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

This is being so overdone. I have had the old Google based maps show be businesses that were not there via dropped pins and even street view only to find them long gone when I actually go there. Maps on iOS 6 is very nice. I'm really liking the look and use of it. Only complaint by me is that the tilt gesture for perspective is too easy to trigger. I accidentally do it when zooming quite frequently.

I can vouch for that because I found the tilt perspective by mistake while trying to zoom in lol

It's quite nice. 

• Reply 87 of 114

Okay! I have a problem with Apple Maps. Today I was using Maps on my laptop and I happen to notice that is is showing me moving south from my home when I'm sitting still in my home. The little blue pin just kept moving until I gave up watching it. To top that off I can't find my brand new iPhone anywhere. What's with this shit!!??

• Reply 88 of 114
    This should help to clarify things:

http://scoopertino.com/tim-cook-goes-on-apology-binge/
  • Reply 89 of 114
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This should help to clarify things:

http://scoopertino.com/tim-cook-goes-on-apology-binge/

If he keeps that up we'll have to issue him a Canadian passport! :)

Sorry Canucks...

• Reply 90 of 114

This whole thing is bizarre.  The new Maps app is my favorite feature of the new OS.  We just went out of town for the weekend and used it all of the time to find and get where we needed to go without the slightest hitch.  I've seen the pictures where the 3d satellite view has some glitches which has had zero impact on my use of the app.  Is there something else wrong because I don't see why that alone has caused all of this controversy.  A feature that isn't even in the old app, and isn't remotely critical to the use of the app, needs tweaking.  I wouldn't switch back to the old maps app even if it were an option.

• Reply 91 of 114
    jragosta wrote: »

Alright then, point me 7 posts where you asked for it before.

Define representative. I've mentioned, for example, that the search sucks so much it can't even tell that 'a' and 'â' are the same letter. Why does this not qualify as evidence? You can test this yourself!

Why do I need to do any of that? Why are my verifiable claims not proof?

What qualifies statistic evidence as representative?

You're just not perfectly willing to define clearly what constitutes proof and why what has been presented is not it, right? Bad, bad troll!

You are my target in this thread, I will destroy all your arguments ONE BY ONE! It is my objective to make you cower in shame of your idiocy!
  • Reply 92 of 114
    Don`t you guys have the posibility to extract the IPA of Google Maps from a previos version of IOS and install it? From the other side, with Android we can do that with an APK.
  • Reply 93 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

If misplaced businesses are the biggest of your concerns, then I give you a non-functioning search and search results giving me addresses kilometers away from their right place despite everything being correctly charted on the map. That's my experience with Apple's Maps, I wish misplaced businesses (something I can easily look on the web for an address and create a contact that Google Maps will correctly point out afterwards) was the worst of my problems. Fortunately, I have not upgraded yet.

I don't trust ANY mapping service to inform me about local businesses, but I do trust Google Maps to give me directions to local addresses, even if in some cases it leads me to the wrong block, that beats leading me to places kilometers away or not even knowing where a street is by a huge margin.

I just joined this forum so I can reply to this one thread.  Why are people arguing with this Vaelian guy who's a wolf in sheep's clothes.  I bet he doesn't own an apple product, and is busy gathering information from other forums and media outlets to make a case against apple maps. All this in hopes to somehow convert iphone owners to another ecosystem because we know how android users life long goals is to belittle anyone using anything other than android.  Before Vaelian reads this and starts sprouting his fantastic case against apple maps and how he's a apple product owner let me point out something very important.  He complains and complains about apple maps and all it's problems and clearly states in the above quote that "Fortunately, I have not upgraded yet."  The nerve you got to talk about all the awful experiences that you've had with using apple maps but have not even upgraded yet.

As for me I owned a iphone 3g for many years and wanted to upgrade this year to a iphone 5 but unfortunately I can't right now financially so I instead upgraded (use the term loosely) to a htc one v android phone because it was free with koodo (Canada) without having to sign a contract.  I must admit I actually got fooled into thinking I'd like android from all the android fans talking of it as the smart phone savior.  I've learned two things from my android experience.  iphone spoiled me and android customization and widgets are the most pointless features, in my opinion, to brag about.  The only envious thing about the android is the power toggle widgets (wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc).  Other than that give me an iphone any day.  I know it's not a top of the line android but I've played with galaxy sIII's in stores and I just don't get how it can ever compare to an iphone for me.  And as far as the maps go. 

The only experience I've had with apple maps is my girlfriends iphone 4 with ios 6.0 and I can tell you it found most things I searched for in southern ontario (which i compared to my google maps on my htc) and both had one mistake.  One was the apple maps found one location but located me one street over which was off.  The other thing was driving directions to a place up the road which apple got correct and google routed me all over the place to the proper location.  What I mean by that is google took a 2 minute drive and turned it into a 15 minute drive.

I know this is long but I had to point all that out.  Obviously I'm no expert at using apple maps as I've only used it for a half hour tops but I can say from my experience it isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be by people like Vaelian who I'll remind you is so experienced with it but has not upgraded yet.

• Reply 94 of 114
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    mstone wrote: »
    I like how nokia maps works fine on an iPhone at m.maps.nokia.com however if you go just maps.nokia.com from a desktop Safari it asks you to accept 50 MB of local storage on your computer and if you decline, you cannot get out. It effectively kills your browser session and you have to force quit.

Doesn't do this for me in Safari 6.0.1, how about you post an image of it doing this?
  • Reply 95 of 114
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    jivanile wrote: »
    I just joined this forum so I can reply to this one thread.  Why are people arguing with this Vaelian guy who's a wolf in sheep's clothes.  I bet he doesn't own an apple product, and is busy gathering information from other forums and media outlets to make a case against apple maps.

How much do you want to bet?

jivanile wrote: »
    All this in hopes to somehow convert iphone owners to another ecosystem because we know how android users life long goals is to belittle anyone using anything other than android.  Before Vaelian reads this and starts sprouting his fantastic case against apple maps and how he's a apple product owner let me point out something very important.  He complains and complains about apple maps and all it's problems and clearly states in the above quote that "Fortunately, I have not upgraded yet."  The nerve you got to talk about all the awful experiences that you've had with using apple maps but have not even upgraded yet.

That's really easy to explain, but I don't want to spoil the bet, so please by all means assume I'm lying and put your money where your mouth is. ;)
  • Reply 96 of 114
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

That's really easy to explain, but I don't want to spoil the bet, so please by all means assume I'm lying and put your money where your mouth is. image

Unfortunately, he makes a very good point.

• Reply 97 of 114
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    rayz wrote: »

That's really easy to explain, but I don't want to spoil the bet, so please by all means assume I'm lying and put your money where your mouth is. ;)

Unfortunately, he makes a very good point.

Does that mean you wish to join the bet? The more, the merrier! I'll have the pleasure to take your money AND make you all look like idiots! ;)
  • Reply 98 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

You'll want to not bet on this. Trust me.

Sorry for ruining any perceived "fun".

• Reply 99 of 114
    Alright then, point me 7 posts where you asked for it before.
    Define representative. I've mentioned, for example, that the search sucks so much it can't even tell that 'a' and 'â' are the same letter. Why does this not qualify as evidence? You can test this yourself!
    Why do I need to do any of that? Why are my verifiable claims not proof?
    What qualifies statistic evidence as representative?
    You're just not perfectly willing to define clearly what constitutes proof and why what has been presented is not it, right? Bad, bad troll!
    You are my target in this thread, I will destroy all your arguments ONE BY ONE! It is my objective to make you cower in shame of your idiocy!

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give you my entire critical thinking course in one post.

People who have any concept of 'evidence' and 'proof' know what I'm talking about. You, unfortunately, don't - and are unwilling to learn. Go take a course in critical thinking.
  • Reply 100 of 114

There are times when statistical 'proof' is necessary and times when it's not really necessary for the point being made.

I don't need statistical proof that it's raining when I can establish that by looking out the window. Likewise, to deny that there's a problem with Apple Maps in the face of widespread complaint and a public apology from Apple is not really feasible.

You seem to be hiding behind this requirement for statistics a bit. Do you have statistical proof that Apple Maps is as good as Google Maps or better?