Revised Apple website no longer calls iOS 6 Maps most 'powerful'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

So basically a retraction- A very sad day for Apple and iFans indeed.

At the end of the day, it's about an app. When the competition can barely get an entire platform right (some can't even get one off the ground), and *our* biggest complaint is a map app, it's pretty much picnics and roses for "Apple and iFans."

This goes to show just how spoiled "Apple and iFans" are (and just how *important* Apple's mobile platform is to the bulk of the market.)

• Reply 62 of 114
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it's about an app. When the competition can barely get an entire platform right (some can't even get one off the ground), and *our* biggest complaint is a map app, it's pretty much picnics and roses for "Apple and iFans."

This goes to show just how spoiled "Apple and iFans" are (and just how *important* Apple's mobile platform is to the bulk of the market.)

Listen- when both Tim Cook apologizes and Apple retracts its mapping superiority claim, us clueless, spoiled "trolls" have been validated.
    'Nuff said
  • Reply 63 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Next time, wash your car so Apple doesn't have to do it for you.

I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are statistically any worse than Google's. You've been whining for a week and STILL haven't provided a shred of evidence.

Oh, for goodness' sake. Perhaps nobody has compiled any 'statistical' evidence, so you're just going to have to accept the torrent of individual data points indicating as such.

If you didn't have a laughable inability to accept any flaws in any Apple product, this wouldn't be anywhere near as hard for you.

• Reply 64 of 114
    lerxt wrote: »
    They need to bring google maps back ASAP and spend some time fixing apple maps or just dump it.

Sure they do. A hampered and lame app without turn-by-turn navigation right?
  • Reply 65 of 114
    isheldon wrote: »
    Well then can you tell that to Apple? I have more important things to tend to.

Why exactly would he have to tell Apple in Cupertino that NYC wasn't largely affected by an atomic bomb that fell in Hiroshima, Japan in 1945? You just get crazier and crazier every year, Teckstud.
  • Reply 66 of 114
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Posting your anti-Apple sentiments on this forum is presumably one of them?

I'm pro Apple- just anti Apple Maps.

Next?

OK. So posting your anti-Apple-maps sentiments on this forum is one of the more important things you have to tend to?

• Reply 67 of 114
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why exactly would he have to tell Apple in Cupertino that NYC was largely affected by an atomic bomb that fell in Hiroshima, Japan in 1945? You just get crazier and crazier every year, Teckstud.

Bazinga! image

• Reply 68 of 114
    muppetry wrote: »
    OK. So posting your anti-Apple-maps sentiments on this forum is one of the more important things you have to tend to?

My postings are not based on emotions but rather factually based; therefore not a "sentiment" so therefore I can't answer that question.
  • Reply 69 of 114
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Obviously you are referencing the faked address Motorola ad.

No I'm not, I'm referring my own experience. I'm not gullible, unlike most of you here. I don't say the things I say because of the media, I say the things I say because of my experience; nobody makes a big deal out of the loss of the Dock connector, yet that's a big deal to me as well, and I've been quite verbose about it here in the past.

Personally Apple Maps works great for me. I actually haven't had that particular problem since I've been using it, but I can tell you,

You can stop denying that it has issues.

Google was quite fond of doing that to me. Often sends me to addresses on the East coast when I search with my locator firmly on the West.

But it doesn't send you to locations that have absolutely nothing to do with your search query, when it actually finds anything, which is my experience. At least you can tell why it sent you to those addresses; I can not tell why Apple maps sends me to some places that have absolutely nothing in common with my search query, and that's annoying, because I have no way to know what to do in order to get a more accurate search result.

The only problem I have had with Apple maps so far is that it tried to tell me there was a WalMart a mile from me (where I know there's not one) located in a single family home in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. But then google's done that to me quite often,

Come to Europe and and witness how shitty Apple Maps actually is. Obviously your experience won't vary much in the US, which is the market everyone targets first,. so you can't use that to make a statement of quality.

I've even driven to Google supplied addresses to find they were dead wrong -- so much so I got into the habit of always calling first (how's that for a reliable App?).

That's my experience with Apple Maps all the time, so you answer me that question!

Now, I do miss Street View, but that alone doesn't make or break my mapping experience, nor does it qualify Google as a superior mapping app to Apple's. Again, I find this a trumped up argument. Google has been guilty of this for years, and now Apple does it too and it's the worst app ever invented? Don't think so.

Nobody blames Apple for trying to build their own mapping platform; what people blame Apple for is feeding that clearly inferior platform down everyone's throats. Google Maps wasn't fed down anyone's throats, it didn't replace anything that already existed, it might have obsoleted other services for being a better option, but it never did so by replacing them, so yes, Apple deserves all the negative press because they fucked up.

Plus, outside of the Motorola ad, there's little evidence that this is endemic to Apple's App.

The problem (with the app, not the data) is that it's not in sync with the map. THAT is a fundamental flaw whether it manifests itself or not, and it does manifest itself a lot where I live.

These kinds of complaints seem generated by someone unwilling to take personal responsibility for the search terms they input. Garbage in, garbage out. An Android using friend of mine, loves to take my iPhone and ask Siri questions that few humans could answer much less an AI. And of course Siri has trouble with complex and esoteric questions for which it was not otherwise intended. But to my friend it's proof positive Siri is fundamentally flawed. That's what I feel like I'm seeing here. It's fun to poke fun at technology that fails to live up to the expeditions Star Trek has embedded in us, but fundamentally wrong to take the human counterpart out of the equation and criticize the product in a vacuum.

Your straw man fallacy is driving you to an ocean of pointless drivel.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why exactly would he have to tell Apple in Cupertino that NYC was largely affected by an atomic bomb that fell in Hiroshima, Japan in 1945? You just get crazier and crazier every year, Teckstud.

Once again a reading comprehension refresher course is called for as I said it "looks" like Hiroshima with melted buildings and parks. Who or what is a Tekstud?
  • Reply 71 of 114

Really? You can't read road signs? It has nothing to do with intuition.

• Reply 72 of 114

Quote:

So basically a retraction- A very sad day for Apple and iFans indeed.

Only in your dreams. A modification to their website is hardly "news." Know what's really sad? AppleInsider is just pandering to the likes of you for the forum traffic.

• Reply 73 of 114
    Only in your dreams. A modification to their website is hardly "news." Know what's really sad? AppleInsider is just pandering to the likes of you for the forum traffic.

"Hardly news" yet the very topic of this very thread and deemed very newsworthy by none other than AppleInsider itself? Do you now see the foolishness in your post?
  • Reply 74 of 114
    jragosta wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are statistically any worse than Google's. You've been whining for a week and STILL haven't provided a shred of evidence.

Funny you're still waiting for something you never asked... Also, why are you only accepting statistical evidence? What about all the fundamental flaws that I've pointed out already? Why are those not valid evidence? Why have you never replied to any of the posts where I indicated those flaws?
  • Reply 75 of 114
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.

My favorite posts are the ones claiming life has ended and the poster is completely disoriented, unable to move, unable to function without the old Maps app. Are there really people like that in this world? And boy are they gonna be pissed when they find out Google Maps is NOT EVER coming back to iOS (imho). Google may submit it but I seriously doubt Apple will allow it now that we know the circumstances of the Google/Apple breakup over turn-by-turn voice instructions. Duplication of functionality would be my guess. 

The drama queens are in full display over this one. Self immolation may be next I'm afraid.

• Reply 76 of 114

You are correct in pointing out that modifying a website is hardly news; you are, however, missing the entire point behind that modification in particular, which is the newsworthy detail.
  • Reply 77 of 114

I've used Google Maps and Apple maps now for a few queries. Almost every time, Google is wrong. Here's an example of a friends house: https://jkichline.s3.amazonaws.com/map.jpg  The Google address is in the middle of the road by a farm. The Apple address is right on their house! In fact, the entire housing development does not exist in satellite photography.

In addition, placing the address for the community center on Google put most attendees to a birthday party on the complete other side of town about 40 minutes away!!! Google is fail at least in this town.

Also, I just had to look up an address for a conference near Pittsburgh. I put in the address in google maps and it put me in a residential community instead of the location of the conference. Apple got it right the first time.

So I do not experience anything close to what people are talking about with Apple Maps. It's proved better than Google Maps, at least for me. Sorry over-sensationalized news outlets.

• Reply 78 of 114
    Bye bye Google maps... Good riddance.
  • Reply 79 of 114
    lkrupp wrote: »
    My favorite posts are the ones claiming life has ended and the poster is completely disoriented, unable to move, unable to function without the old Maps app. Are there really people like that in this world? And boy are they gonna be pissed when they find out Google Maps is NOT EVER coming back to iOS (imho). Google may submit it but I seriously doubt Apple will allow it now that we know the circumstances of the Google/Apple breakup over turn-by-turn voice instructions. Duplication of functionality would be my guess. 

Where does this duplication of functionality nonsense come from? There are plenty of mapping apps in the app store, why would Google's be rejected?
  • Reply 80 of 114
    Absolutely agree. One more brick in the wall of apology for their work. Since when is the claim "most powerful" no longer applicable?

That isn't why they did it. They did it because haters will hate and will continue to hype up the phrase along with very flaw because they have unreal expections of what an infant service should be like in terms of quality. Sure the blogs will hit whore and report the deletion ( yeah even AI) but that will blow over faster than the Hates posting every little thing and how it proves that Apple Maps is the most powerful etc