Revised Apple website no longer calls iOS 6 Maps most 'powerful'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    jragosta wrote: »

I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple's Maps are statistically any worse than Google's. You've been whining for a week and STILL haven't provided a shred of evidence.
    Something tells me you're going to be waiting for awhile.
  • Reply 42 of 114
    I call BS on this. You are just piling on and have accepted the troll bait... Move along... Nothing to see here...

I think he was being sarcastic.......
  • Reply 43 of 114

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Redacted joke about Research in Motion blaming Apple Maps for driving them into a financial hole because I decided it was more sad than funny.

• Reply 44 of 114
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

classy

• Reply 45 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.

Aren't too bright are you?

• Reply 46 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

My first real use of the new maps app wasn't very impressive. I was looking for a Sports Authority and it found two locations, both of which were no longer in business, and it did not have the locations for the new ones (a friend that was with me found the correct locations on his Lumia.) I will probably be using google maps from now on, although the turn by turn directions will be nice when the data catches up. image

The features are irrelevant until the data is (something like) reliable.

Google Maps have regularly been unable to locate businesses such as USPS, DPS and various restaurants in Austin, TX. Google Maps have given me unclear and incorrect directions on a number of occasions. Google Maps have taken an unacceptable amount of time to load routes on many occasions.

Sounds like those are too unreliable as well.

• Reply 47 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

It's plain ignorant to suggest this map controversy is overdone. Foe most people maps is much less useful than google maps and is, practically, a significant downgrade. They need to bring google maps back ASAP and spend some time fixing apple maps or just dump it.

Turn-by-turn makes it more useful for me and many other users. I have rarely used Street View, and never for anything that practical.

• Reply 48 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

If misplaced businesses are the biggest of your concerns, then I give you a non-functioning search and search results giving me addresses kilometers away from their right place despite everything being correctly charted on the map. That's my experience with Apple's Maps, I wish misplaced businesses (something I can easily look on the web for an address and create a contact that Google Maps will correctly point out afterwards) was the worst of my problems. Fortunately, I have not upgraded yet.

I don't trust ANY mapping service to inform me about local businesses, but I do trust Google Maps to give me directions to local addresses, even if in some cases it leads me to the wrong block, that beats leading me to places kilometers away or not even knowing where a street is by a huge margin.

Interesting, I've had Google route me to entirely different cities, despite the address being entered in correctly and in full (like if I type in Austin, TX and a ZIP, why does it choose to route me to a city in California with a completely different address?). I've also searched for businesses and followed the Google Map route, which lead me to a completely different block or area of town than I was supposed to be in.

• Reply 49 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

But Google at least sends you to addresses related to your search query; Apple maps sends you to completely random places (when it doesn't simply tell you that it couldn't find anything despite the fact that what you're looking for is perfectly charted on the map being displayed right on your screen).

Google Maps has often routed me to an address or location that is unrelated to my search query.

• Reply 50 of 114
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Redacted joke about Research in Motion blaming Apple Maps for driving them into a financial hole because I decided it was more sad than funny.

LOLZ!
  • Reply 51 of 114

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

classy

Enjoy everything.

• Reply 52 of 114
    In the wake of criticism over its Maps application for iOS 6, Apple has revised its website to no longer refer to the software as the most "powerful mapping service ever."

So basically a retraction- A very sad day for Apple and iFans indeed.
  • Reply 52 of 114
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Absolutely unbelievable. This morning Maps routed me right into a lake. It had no idea the road had been closed over 10 years ago. I trusted my iPhone more than my own intuition, and followed it's every instruction. I'm on the side of the lake watching these guys pull my car out. I really hope Apple comes out with an update soon...because this will probably happen again.

Look man the term smart phone.  Means exactly that.  SIRI was mad at you for buying a samsung TV.  So she sent you into the lake as a lesson on buying Samsung products.  Besides you needed a bath anyways right?

• Reply 54 of 114
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Just because it changed does not mean it had anything to do with "the wake of criticism over its Maps application for iOS 6".

I flew back from a business trip to L.A. on 20 September so that MUST have been because iOS 6 was released, right?

• Reply 55 of 114
    I looked at my neighborhood in NYC on Apple maps and it basically looks like Manhattan post Hiroshima bomb with melting buildings and parks. Like what is this and who wants it?
  • Reply 56 of 114
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I looked at my neighborhood in NYC on Apple maps and it basically looks like Manhattan post Hiroshima bomb with melting buildings and parks. Like what is this and who wants it?

Manhattan was largely unaffected by that bomb.

• Reply 57 of 114
    muppetry wrote: »

Well then can you tell that to Apple? I have more important things to tend to.
  • Reply 58 of 114
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Then can you tell that to Apple? I have more important things to tend to.

Posting your anti-Apple sentiments on this forum is presumably one of them?

• Reply 59 of 114
    muppetry wrote: »
    Posting your anti-Apple sentiments on this forum is presumably one of them?

I'm pro Apple- just anti Apple Maps.
    Next?
  • Reply 60 of 114
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You're correct .... remember all of the "pros" who called it garbage? Look what PC Mag says about it now ..... "Final Cut Pro X is a delight to work in compared with other serious video editing software. Final Cut Pro X brings the prosumer loads of power, ease-of-use, and no-wait performance. The speed gains (from 64-bit code and multicore support), the two-thirds price cut, and some nimble new tools in a fluid, highly usable and precise interface make Final Cut Pro X our Editors' Choice for high-end video editing."

PC Mag isn't exactly what you'd call a noted authority on the subject of professional production tools, is it?

The operative word has been highlighted in that text.  Work in a pro facility includes activities not even imagined, much less understood, by one man bands like us.

The editors down the hall from me tell me X is improving, but even now it doesn't integrate into accepted workflows and industry-standard systems the way Studio did.  I'm a sound guy so my take is hearsay, but the sayers I'm hearing tell me it ain't no Symphony.