Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 21 of 286
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

I'm sorry, but 1024x768 sucks even at 7.9" and especially so at $329. Get a refurbished iPad 3 for just $50 more--or a Kindle Fire HD for $30 to $130 less. Yeah, so the bigger iPad 3 isn't as portable, but it is a pleasure to look at and generally easier to use.

• Reply 22 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wall Street doesn't seem to like the $329 price point. I was hoping they could hit $299. And really wish they wouldn't have compared it directly to the Nexus 7. Bad move Apple. Shame too because the device looks really sweet. But all the focus will be on comparing it to the Nexus 7 and calling it a rip off. image

comparing it to an android device?

• Reply 23 of 286
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think this will sell like crazy. I am buying one.
  • Reply 24 of 286
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not at all disappointed with my iPad 3. I'll probably upgrade next year. They apparently wanted all the iPads released together in time for the holiday season, and it will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Mini looks great. I'm definitely getting a cellular version in white.

I'm thinking Mini in black: the edge sort of disappears with the black. I'd gone back and forth with the iPad 3 and settled on black and noticed that effect. For me anyway. Thought being a white edge would be a more visual "frame"? 

Though certainly a possible over think.

And yes, cellular is a nice benefit with all the traveling I get dragged to.

• Reply 25 of 286
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Lot's of great announcements at this event!

The iPad mini is almost perfect for what I wanted, only improvement would be a retina display as far as I am concerned. I'll be preordering friday!!

That 13" Macbook Pro Retina version looks awful tempting also, just need more moneys!!

• Reply 26 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iPad 2 is still $399- they killed the 3....

I meant "not officially" killed it. But if the virtual keyboard doesn't suck, mini is better choice.

And it even threatens the new iPod Touch.

• Reply 27 of 286
    For $329 I would expect a retina display. For me at this point, with any new Apple hardware, no retina = no sale.
  • Reply 28 of 286
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not at all disappointed with my iPad 3. I'll probably upgrade next year. They apparently wanted all the iPads released together in time for the holiday season, and it will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Mini looks great. I'm definitely getting a cellular version in white.

I'm thinking Mini in black: the edge sort of disappears with the black. I'd gone back and forth with the iPad 3 and settled on black and noticed that effect. For me anyway. Thought being a white edge would be a more visual "frame"? 

People have said that black is better for reading, but I am not going to be reading for long periods of time with the mini and I don't like the black anodized back so much. I have a black iPad 3 and a white iPhone 5.

• Reply 29 of 286
    I was hoping $299 price point, but $329 is doable. As for those saying, just get an iPod.. umm,, thats not even a question.. iPod Touch is much smaller and not designed to run iPad apps.. It's the iPad Apps, 7.9" size thin/weight that will get MANY.. It's designed to complete against Kindle/Nook, not iPod mp3 players.

You know, those who use the device to READ or browse internet w/o squinting.. lol - Not everyone has 20/20 vision like you young bucks..
  • Reply 30 of 286
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    For $329 I would expect a retina display. For me at this point, with any new Apple hardware, no retina = no sale.

This. $329 should've been retina.

The iPod touch is same exact hardware, 32gb, and retina. And the mini is more? The iPod touch is either overpriced or the mini is. Y'all pick.
  • Reply 31 of 286
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member

I have to wonder how many of these new in 2012 products are market demand driven but were items SJ nixed or said "no" to. How many times did he say "no" to an iPad mini? It takes fortitude and convinced you are right in spite of the polls stubborn streak a mile wide to say "no" to a product when there is a demand for it. Now they are seeing the light of day when he isn't around to say "no"

• Reply 32 of 286

Refurb prices on the iPad 3 are now $379! 

I'm also betting on another refresh in 6 months so they can keep the product cycle the same as it was before. They should have events all year round to keep the Apple machine going

• Reply 32 of 286

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I'd hold off buying it for $329 right now. The 4th gen iPad is a much better deal.

That's an understatement.  Absolutely incredible deal.  The iPad 2 is by far the worst of the 3 in terms of value.  Unfortunately- the form factor of the 9.7 just isn't appealing to some people (like me- I have an iPad 2 that is now 2 years old... I can go pay $329 to get the exact same thing, just smaller w/ better wifi).

Actually, the iPad 2 is better at some graphics/display-intensive things than the iPad 3...  Maps 3D Flyover performs more than twice as fast on my iPad 2 than on my iPad 3.   I think the iPad 2 is a better balance of CPU, GPU and Display Resolution.

• Reply 34 of 286

Quote:

I don't like the $329 price point.  $279 or $249 would have been better.  Its the exact same as the iPod Touch for $130 more (for 32gb)- larger, but non-retina screen is the only difference.

Edit: I still think it will sell like freakin' hotcakes.

They had to make a choice: Retina at a lower price point than the full-size or non-Retina and they made the right choice with lower entry, non-retina to silence the press over screen size differences not worth the price and you know that would have happened.

• Reply 35 of 286
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And yes, cellular is a nice benefit with all the traveling I get dragged to.

I usually prefer white, but I am getting black. I will get the $429 model for the GPS capability. 

• Reply 36 of 286

I think Apple missed out on the psychological 299 mark. This is essentially a smaller iPad 2 (A5, 1024..) which as of now is 2 generations old. I think you really have to be set on the smaller size to buy it. For now, I don't see it killing the lower priced Kindles like I had hoped. Phil seemed a bit butt-hurt over the Nexus 7, didn't need to give it that much of their stage time. Ironically it's not exactly Google's problem Pandora, Yelp, etc don't optimize their Android apps for tablets, the APIs are there. It's fair to say to experience is terrible, but making fun of the developers who write your own iOS apps seems odd to me.

I'm happy for the new new iPad (4?). Gives me a reason to upgrade my 2 without waiting for Spring. 

• Reply 37 of 286
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

I think they probably had $300 as the target price during development but just weren't able to hit that price and maintain the lower-end of their preferred margins. I am guessing we'll see it drop by or before gen 2. Or retina first, not sure if they will do both. 

I know it hards to compete on price again companies willing to lose money on each device (Fire HD, Kindle 7) but this will be one of the tougher categories for them to enter with those players setting the bar so low on price and high(ish) on specs. 

• Reply 38 of 286
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Ironically it's not exactly Google's problem Pandora, Yelp, etc don't optimize their Android apps for tablets, the APIs are there. 

I guess they don't have the incentive to update their Android apps since 91% of the traffic they are getting is from iOS.

• Reply 39 of 286
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Wow....$329 is a weird price.  My guess it's designed to squeeze and extra $30 out of all the early adopters.  I expect this thing will be $299 in most places before Christmas- could be even less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday .

The $329 price is a little more than I was hoping, but I doubt there will be any discounting before Christmas.  When was the last time that happened, especially with an iOS device?  Its $329 or get the Nexus 7.  

Edit:  I did forget about Apple's Black Friday sale.  Maybe on that one day.

• Reply 40 of 286
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm sorry, but 1024x768 resolution sucks even at 7.9" and especially at $329 base price. Get a refurbished iPad 3 for just $50 more--or a Kindle Fire HD for $30 less. Yeah, so the bigger iPad isn't as portable, but it is a pleasure to look at and generally easier to use.

The Fire HD is $130 less.