Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 121 of 286
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The ppi is approximately 125% that of the iPad 2 and twice what a regular desktop computer is. I spend all day working on a Cinema screen with no complaints about resolution and I do have a rMBP and an iPad 3 so I have something to compare it to. iPad mini without a retina is not a deal breaker for me at all. Sure it would have been better if it had one but it doesn't. They would have had to put in an A6 to do retina and that perhaps would have made it too expensive for the entry price they were trying to hit and it would have made it thicker and heavier with a bigger battery.

I totally agree with you.  I love the retina displays on the rMBP's.  They are gorgeous.  I use the 27" LED on my MBA here at the office, my co-worker also uses a 27" LED for his rMBP and keeps his notebook closed.  Ironic eh?  His rMBP has a higher display than the external monitor, but in real-world use and considering the 27" monitor is farther back for the eyes, it's kind of a moot point in terms of what you really get.

Now don't get me wrong, the fetish-guy in me would LOVE to have a retina iMac or LED monitor.  The tech / costs / speed just isn't there yet for such a huge chunk of glass.

The new iPad mini even though has the same resolution as an iPad2, it's a smaller display so the PPI goes up.  I think it'll look great.  Sure, not true retina level methink, but I can predict with almost absolute-certainty that if adding the retina display adds $50 to the cost, there will be people here (iHaters, trolls, whiners, etc..) that will come out of their parents' basements and cry "gouging!".

• Reply 122 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

This. $329 should've been retina.

The iPod touch is same exact hardware, 32gb, and retina. And the mini is more? The iPod touch is either overpriced or the mini is. Y'all pick.

The mini is overpriced to make it seem superior to the iPod touch. There's no way they could enter it at the same price point as the iPod touch. To the average, uninformed consumer, they would ask questions as to why they should buy the iPod touch rather than the iPad mini. Of course, most of us know why (retina display, faster, more storage) but all the consumer sees is bigger and better (in their eyes).

• Reply 123 of 286
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mac-user wrote: »
    Many of us have guessed between 299 and 349 :)

at $329 they are just killing the iPad2 anyways. The mini is much more attractive for cheaper price, if you wanted to buy a non-retina iPad.

The only question is how comfortable is the virtual keyboard on the smaller screen.

You just need an emery board for your fingers ;)
  • Reply 124 of 286
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

At least they didn't call it the stupid "iPad Air."  

Take that Gruber!

• Reply 125 of 286
    sflocal wrote: »

I totally agree with you.  I love the retina displays on the rMBP's.  They are gorgeous.  I use the 27" LED on my MBA here at the office, my co-worker also uses a 27" LED for his rMBP and keeps his notebook closed.  Ironic eh?  His rMBP has a higher display than the external monitor, but in real-world use and considering the 27" monitor is farther back for the eyes, it's kind of a moot point in terms of what you really get.

Now don't get me wrong, the fetish-guy in me would LOVE to have a retina iMac or LED monitor.  The tech / costs / speed just isn't there yet for such a huge chunk of glass.

The new iPad mini even though has the same resolution as an iPad2, it's a smaller display so the PPI goes up.  I think it'll look great.  Sure, not true retina level methink, but I can predict with almost absolute-certainty that if adding the retina display adds $50 to the cost, there will be people here (iHaters, trolls, whiners, etc..) that will come out of their parents' basements and cry "gouging!".

OK you brought up and (I think) answered something I have yet to see but wondered about. I use a 2010 15" MBP and an external Apple monitor and suspect if I get a new MBP (which I am close to doing so I can get 16 GIGs of RAM and twice the benchmark speed) ) I might be better off with the non retina since I use the external monitor most of the time. I don't keep my lid closed though I use it as a second monitor to keep Mail open while I work. Add in I like changing out my own RAM and drives ... So having seen that set up you describe (i.e. wasting the rMBP) do you think I'm right?
  • Reply 126 of 286

I think $330 is a bit overpriced for the mini, but I'm sure people will still buy it anyways just because it's Apple.  If they priced iut at $250 it would have blown the android tablets out of the water, and probably would have caused a lot more cannibilization of regular Ipad sales than they would like.  At $330, the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire will still be here to stay.

• Reply 127 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Who cares about Wall Street or bottom feeder Nexus buyers? Phil went out of his way to show you why buying a Nexus is just wasting your money.

That presentation comparing the mini 7.9" to a Nexus 7" is completely ridiculous.  The mini has more screen than the Nexus so you can see more of the web page.  OF COURSE YOU CAN, ITS A BIGGER SCREEN!

How about comparing an iPad 3 to the iPhone 5 and say that we can see more web page on the iPad so it is better?

• Reply 128 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Apple 

[" url="/t/153692/apple-reveals-ipad-mini-7-9-display-7-2mm-thin-starting-at-329/40#post_2217368"]$329 is a great price for the iPad Mini. I thought that it looked kind of cute, both the white and black models, and Apple is going to sell a shit load of them. 

Cute? Ok what giddy schoolgirl hijacked Apple ]['s account?

I think it is the one from the Surface ad image

• Reply 129 of 286
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Wow, the Apple store splash page is gorgeous today!

• Reply 130 of 286

That presentation comparing the mini 7.9" to a Nexus 7" is completely ridiculous.  The mini has more screen than the Nexus so you can see more of the web page.  OF COURSE YOU CAN, ITS A BIGGER SCREEN!

How about comparing an iPad 3 to the iPhone 5 and say that we can see more web page on the iPad so it is better?

A friend of mine just emailed me to say his wife just cancelled an order for Nexus to wait for an iPad mini based in the demo showing a web page in landscape ... so the 'ridiculous demo' at least sold one iPad mini :D
  • Reply 131 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A couple of points. Google's $199 offering 1) only comes with 8 GB, and a 1.2 MB front facing camera. Apple's device ships with 16 GB, and both a 1.2 GB front facing camera and a 5 GB rear camera.

Moreover, as was presented at the demonstration Apple's screen actually presents more real estate and is built using aluminum not cheap plastic. The extra $140 dollars seems worth it to me for the quality Apple is offering. 

A retina display would be nice, but Apple is offering a more cost conscious option and people didn't mind the iPad 2 that lacked the retina display. It also wants to sell more expensive full sized iPads. Moreover, somebody posted that Google's processor in the Nexus 7 trounces the A5. BS. Both chips came out the same year, in 2011. The A5 compares favorably with the Tegra 3. It is slightly slower, but not enough to matter. 

My tablet is always in a leather case/stand.  I never get to see any plastic.  I only care about aluminum in my car!

• Reply 132 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I am happy with the updated Mac Mini, but I am on the fence regarding the iPad Mini. I like the size and don't really care about the lack of retina display, but I wish they would have simply stated that it doesn't have a retina display instead of playing up that it "has the same resolution as the iPad 2!!!" REALLY? I really hate hyperbole and obsfucation of the truth.  Grrrr. Also, an A5 Processor? The iPad Mini is really obsolete before it hits the streets (based on how fast Apple drops support for hardware in iOS).

I really think Apple should have made the iPad Mini and low end iPad equal to the "old" iPad 3. Oh well, off to pick up a new Mac Mini next month. 

UPDATE:

I think the iPad Mini would make a great replacement for my smartphone (iPhone 4)...

Right now I have an iPhone 4 on on my wife's plan, costing and additional $10 for the extra phone, $10 for the lowest level family plan, $10 for texting, and $30 for data. This costs us $60 + tax = $67.xx 

I RARELY use my phone as a phone (maybe 30 mins a month). Mostly I text and use Skype and sometimes Facetime. I'm going to sell my iPhone 4 (not in contract anymore) for around $225 - $250 on eBay and use the money to buy an iPad Mini with LTE via Verizon (for the free wifi hotspot option). 

No more contracts with minutes I don't use. Right now I use about 1.5GB a month. I can get 4GB for $30 on Verizon OR I could get 10GB for the price I am paying AT&T.

• Reply 133 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You just need an emery board for your fingers image

or Siri Dictation

• Reply 134 of 286
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rednival wrote: »
    I'm with you.  I said it was weird but I didn't fuss or complain about an extra $30.  I was just making an observation.  I didn't expect rants over $30. I'm with you and I think that it makes pretty good business sense.  

Then again, some people are loosing their minds over the fact that Apple refreshed the iPad after 6 months.  So I don't know why anything surprises me anymore...

What's with the epidemic of people writing loosing for losing on AI?
  • Reply 135 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Belief in an organized religion is not a requirement to be a consumer. Problem solved.

I assume you mean membership in an organized religion?

• Reply 136 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What's with the epidemic of people writing loosing for losing on AI?

General stupidity...

• Reply 137 of 286
    mac-user wrote: »
    or Siri Dictation

Remember to talk smaller though ...
  • Reply 138 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol 

... but [iPad Minis] are still going to sell very well.

No they aren't.

And Apple isn't thrilling too many people with an iPad 4 so soon, either.

I don't care about Surface & Key Lime Pie, and neither does any other potential tab buyer.

Why is that?

Because, say it with me: THERE ISN'T A TAB MARKET -- THERE'S AN iPAD MARKET!!!!!

For Apple to clearly panic like this on both ends of the tab spectrum, is -- ....

Words fail.

But not as big of a fail as this "iPad Mini" will be.

And that noise you hear?

It's Bezos & Lucifer clinking glasses as the King Of Pernition delivers on his end of the bargain.

You are soooo wrong.

Apple has just defined the entry tablet market and redefined the high-end tablet market...  Not with meaningless specs or inferior quality at cheap prices...  

Apple has provided what really counts: Quality and Usability at a good price...  And quality at a good price defines a bargain!

• Reply 139 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Wow....$329 is a weird price.  My guess it's designed to squeeze and extra $30 out of all the early adopters.  I expect this thing will be $299 in most places before Christmas- could be even less on Black Friday/Cyber Monday .

Apple doesn't do that. If you look through their pricing history, they don't drop anything for Black Friday or Holidays. Apple only drop price when new generation of the device is available.

What does make sense is resellers bundling the entry Mini with a $30-$50 iTunes Gift Card!

• Reply 140 of 286
    Wow, is this what we can expect in the post-Jobs era? A new device with a confusing price-point and based on a two generation old processor and screen resolution. How, after all the evangelizing of Retina on 5 devices now, do you hock a device that is obviously targeted at the reader market have a display that is not Retina??

Boy, investors sure are speaking to this gianormous thud. As a long time Apple fan, customer, and stockholder this is troubling and disappointing.