Apple reveals iPad mini: 7.9" display, 7.2mm thin, starting at $329

Comments

• Reply 41 of 286
    It's all about the user experience. If this product is as enjoyable to use as a larger IPad, it begs the question, why even have the bigger iPad.

Even if the user experience is only marginally diminished due to the smaller screen, the advantages of a smaller form factor would cause this to become the model of choice for most consumers.
  • Reply 42 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I actually enjoyed this keynote far more than the iPhone keynote. Everything introduced is fantastic. The iPad mini at $329 could have demolished the Android tablets if it was $249 but it will still sell like crazy. Sucks to be an iPad 3 owner with the new iPad 4 out 5 months early (based on a yearly cycle) but that's the technology game.

I'm not at all disappointed with my iPad 3. I'll probably upgrade next year. They apparently wanted all the iPads released together in time for the holiday season, and it will most likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Mini looks great. I'm definitely getting a cellular version in white.

I think the timing of the iPad 4 is due to a nexus (pun) of competitive activity (MS and Google/Sammy) and availability of technology (the A6 class chip -- A6X).   When you are pushing the envelope in technology, you must wait for it to be available in quantity and economically viable.

I wouldn't be surprised to see similarly lengthened or shortened product cycles in the future..

IMO, this sets Apple apart...  The announce things when they have them in production (not as untouchable prototypes)...  And they are not afraid to obsolete/replace their own products when it makes sense.

• Reply 43 of 286
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

It's all about the user experience. If this product is as enjoyable to use as a larger IPad, it begs the question, why even have the bigger iPad.

Even if the user experience is only marginally diminished due to the smaller screen, the advantages of a smaller form factor would cause this to become the model of choice for most consumers.

And I am still waiting for the 13" iPad. LOL,

• Reply 44 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm sorry, but 1024x768 sucks even at 7.9" and especially so at $329. Get a refurbished iPad 3 for just $50 more--or a Kindle Fire HD for $30 to $130 less. Yeah, so the bigger iPad 3 isn't as portable, but it is a pleasure to look at and generally easier to use.

^^this.

I love my "new iPad" retina display.  I love my iPhone 5 (and iPhone 4S before it) retina display.

Never ever in a trillion years will I go back to a non-retina display like the iPad 2.  It is so obviously inferior to me that frankly I'm embarassed by Apple today.  This is a serious downgrade.

Let's be honest.  Apple felt rushed to release the iPad mini to head off competition from the Google Nexus and Amazon Fire.  Today we witnessed Apple introducing a product that takes a step back so they can block the competition.

But they even screwed that up.  The resolution on the Nexus and Fire are higher than this POS.  *AND* they are charging at $100 more?  The gall.

If I owned AAPL today I would *sell sell sell*.

• Reply 45 of 286
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadash View Post

The $329 price is a little more than I was hoping, but I doubt there will be any discounting before Christmas.  When was the last time that happened, especially with an iOS device?  Its $329 or get the Nexus 7.  

Edit:  I did forget about Apple's Black Friday sale.  Maybe on that one day.

Or get neither- that's what I'm doing.  They priced it out of my range for what I'd use it for. Retina- I'd have paid the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard View Post

^^this.

I love my "new iPad" retina display.  I love my iPhone 5 (and iPhone 4S before it) retina display.

Never ever in a trillion years will I go back to a non-retina display like the iPad 2.  It is so obviously inferior to me that frankly I'm embarassed by Apple today.  This is a serious downgrade.

Let's be honest.  Apple felt rushed to release the iPad mini to head off competition from the Google Nexus and Amazon Fire.  Today we witnessed Apple introducing a product that takes a step back so they can block the competition.

But they even screwed that up.  The resolution on the Nexus and Fire are higher than this POS.  *AND* they are charging at $100 more?  The gall.

I agree with everything you said with 2 exceptions- its $129 more, not $100.  And I would not sell your Apple stock.  I don't like the price, I'm not going to buy one because it's priced to high- but these are still going to sell very well.

• Reply 46 of 286

The iPad Mini will be perfect for my car. This will replace my car dashboard: Apps, Navigation, Games, Music, Radio, Videos.

• Reply 47 of 286
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

A couple of points. Google's $199 offering 1) only comes with 8 GB, and a 1.2 MB front facing camera. Apple's device ships with 16 GB, and both a 1.2 GB front facing camera and a 5 GB rear camera.

Moreover, as was presented at the demonstration Apple's screen actually presents more real estate and is built using aluminum not cheap plastic. The extra $140 dollars seems worth it to me for the quality Apple is offering. 

A retina display would be nice, but Apple is offering a more cost conscious option and people didn't mind the iPad 2 that lacked the retina display. It also wants to sell more expensive full sized iPads. Moreover, somebody posted that Google's processor in the Nexus 7 trounces the A5. BS. Both chips came out the same year, in 2011. The A5 compares favorably with the Tegra 3. It is slightly slower, but not enough to matter. 

• Reply 48 of 286
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard View Post

That would require that you had a "job job job" to have bought AAPL in the first place...

• Reply 49 of 286
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It also has access to more than 275,000 applications written for the iPad platform.

The iPad mini also has a larger 7.9-inch display that gives 29.6 square inches of space, compared to just 21.9 square inches for the Nexus 7.

"The iPad mini is actually over a third larger display area," Schiller said.

"Exact same resolution as the iPad 2. 1,024 x 768. So, no work for developers at all!"

When the new iPad showed up, devs worked overtime to make their experience look better on the retina display. They've stuffed a big pack of yummy things into their apps, having been updated for retina, since then...  

Now What? Should I call fragmentation?image

• Reply 50 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iPad 2 is still $399- they killed the 3....

I meant "not officially" killed it. But if the virtual keyboard doesn't suck, mini is better choice.

And it even threatens the new iPod Touch.

You can approximate the Mini's virtual kb by using an iPad 1,2 or 3 in portrait.

• Reply 51 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I guess they don't have the incentive to update their Android apps since 91% of the traffic they are getting is from iOS.

Web traffic based on Apple PR does not equal fact or app use, but ok. My point still stands, frankly I think it's just a bad showing on 3rd parties. I would want my customers to have the best experience with me regardless of medium (as is the case with my current professional position) 

• Reply 52 of 286
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can approximate the Mini's virtual kb by using an iPad 1,2 or 3 in portrait.

I would be more interested in keyboard in portrait on the mini.  The iPad is not fast or easy for me in either landscape or portrait

• Reply 53 of 286
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

The Fire HD is $130 less.

The Kindle HD lacks a rear camera, is made of cheap plastic, locks you into Amazon, uses a cheap processor, and offers half the battery life of the iPad (or the Nexus for that matter).

• Reply 54 of 286
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

This. $329 should've been retina.

The iPod touch is same exact hardware, 32gb, and retina. And the mini is more? The iPod touch is either overpriced or the mini is. Y'all pick.

"same exact hardware"? The mini's display area is a lot larger and for many that user experience is the differentiator. 15" television "the same" as a 32? Nope.

• Reply 55 of 286
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

$329 is a great price for the iPad Mini. I thought that it looked kind of cute, both the white and black models, and Apple is going to sell a shit load of them. 

• Reply 56 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by tania View Post

i agree with most. the $329 is just not a good price.

Folks were expecting $249 for 8GB, $349 for 16GB and $449 for 32GB.  $329, $429, $529 for 16/32/64 is better pricing.  Not great but it's not bad either.

The iPad mini I was going to buy is $20 less than I expected.

• Reply 57 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A couple of points. Google's $199 offering 1) only comes with 8 GB, and a 1.2 MB front facing camera. Apple's device ships with 16 GB, and both a 1.2 GB front facing camera and a 5 GB rear camera.

Moreover, as was presented at the demonstration Apple's screen actually presents more real estate and is built using aluminum not cheap plastic. The extra $140 dollars seems worth it to me for the quality Apple is offering. 

A retina display would be nice, but Apple is offering a more cost conscious option and people didn't mind the iPad 2 that lacked the retina display. It also wants to sell more expensive full sized iPads. Moreover, somebody posted that Google's processor in the Nexus 7 trounces the A5. BS. Both chips came out the same year, in 2011. The A5 compares favorably with the Tegra 3. It is slightly slower, but not enough to matter. 

I wouldn't worry about the Nexus 7 which getting cheaper with more storage as we speak. (There's also supposedly a Nexus 10 on the horizon with a 2560x1600 according the Verge but we'll see...) Nexus 7 made good fodder because it's intentionally cheap but it's also a distraction. Amazon is the real competition and the HD Kindles still look like a good value even after today's announcement. 

• Reply 58 of 286
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

I have to wonder how many of these new in 2012 products are market demand driven but were items SJ nixed or said "no" to. How many times did he say "no" to an iPad mini? It takes fortitude and convinced you are right in spite of the polls stubborn streak a mile wide to say "no" to a product when there is a demand for it. Now they are seeing the light of day when he isn't around to say "no"

Steve was the master at changing his mind. I am reasonably certain he would have green-lighted the mini.

• Reply 59 of 286

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

"Exact same resolution as the iPad 2. 1,024 x 768. So, no work for developers at all!"

When the new iPad showed up, devs worked overtime to make their experience look better on the retina display. They've stuffed a big pack of yummy things into their apps, having been updated for retina, since then...  

Now What? Should I call fragmentation?image

Nope.  The design is against 1024x768 points.  Apps don't need to change.  For retina devs added 2x art assets.

• Reply 60 of 286
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard View Post

Never ever in a trillion years will I go back to a non-retina display like the iPad 2. 

The ppi is approximately 125% that of the iPad 2 and twice what a regular desktop computer is. I spend all day working on a Cinema screen with no complaints about resolution and I do have a rMBP and an iPad 3 so I have something to compare it to. iPad mini without a retina is not a deal breaker for me at all. Sure it would have been better if it had one but it doesn't. They would have had to put in an A6 to do retina and that perhaps would have made it too expensive for the entry price they were trying to hit and it would have made it thicker and heavier with a bigger battery.