Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 247

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Why go for a walk in the park, when you can just pop a pill?"

"Levels, Tim. We're gonna have levels… of computers. And you just go up and down the levels…"

• Reply 242 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I had no intention of buying a glossy screen, but Apple's marketing loudly trumpeted the improvement if offered so I figured it was worth taking a minute to at least give it a look before buying the matte version. I trotted off to the Apple store where I could see matte and glossy side by side.

As I mentioned earlier, I was floored. Not only were blacks much deeper, but details in shadows that were clearly visible on the glossy screen were completely absent on the matte display. Colors were much more vibrant on the glossy screen. The white point seemed much more accurate.

I still really wanted a matte display, but made a choice to sacrifice the benefits of the matte screen, which are really about convenience, for the advantages of the glossy, which improve the performance and utility of the tool. That's why I suggest you really have to see screens in real life and make comparisons. You may be surprised, like I was, to find that you're inclined to make compromises you didn't expect.

I have the MBP 17" with glossy screen myself, and while the colors are vibrant and all, I regret not going for the matte option. The reflections are a huge nuisance, every day. I remember back when they introduced the unibody MBPs with glossy and Steve said something like "Our customers loooove the glossy screens". "Our customers love..." is Apple's code for "our customers probably won't like this at all, so we'll use the imaginary testimonial of imaginary customers as leverage to persuade the real world customers". And now with these new laminated panels, glare reduction by XX% is suddenly a feature and everyone's like "yay, no more pesky glossy". So where'd all those supposed glossy lovers go?

• Reply 243 of 247
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    anuba wrote: »
    I have the MBP 17" with glossy screen myself, and while the colors are vibrant and all, I regret not going for the matte option. The reflections are a huge nuisance, every day. I remember back when they introduced the unibody MBPs with glossy and Steve said something like "Our customers loooove the glossy screens". "Our customers love..." is Apple's code for "our customers probably won't like this at all, so we'll use the imaginary testimonial of imaginary customers as leverage to persuade the real world customers". And now with these new laminated panels, glare reduction by XX% is suddenly a feature and everyone's like "yay, no more pesky glossy". So where'd all those supposed glossy lovers go?

Fantastic point you are making here! They do have their way of 'creating the need' for things. I will check out the new displays and see if they really have less glare than before. But it won't be the same as matte, which they don't sell anymore (as of July 26, 2010). I bought the 30 inch JIT, but will have to go for a NEC or Eizo, now that Apple doesn't make sell matte anymore.
  • Reply 244 of 247
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

You're conflating two terms. Preferring glossy does not mean wanting glare. Glossy screens with less chance of glare is the best option but if you only give me an option for glossy and matte I'm going to take glossy every time because I dislike the washed out looking colors with matte displays. So all we really several years later is Apple reenforcing their focus on glossy by removing what little disadvantages they had.
  • Reply 245 of 247
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member

I don't think it was ever totally glossy, there was some anti-reflective treatment but I did find the glare to still be annoying on occasion. I thought it was untreated glass until I tried one in my office and I could easily see there was an anti-reflective coating, just not nearly as strong as I would like.

I think laminated glass with antireflective coating is the best of all worlds, a durable surface with treatment that adds no haze, no wash out effect and minimizes reflection. Matte is a diffusion treatment, it just makes reflections harder to decipher, but make no mistake, the effects were still there.
  • Reply 246 of 247

I don't know if there is any manner of antireflective coating on the glossy MBPs, but... looking at it, the reflections are every bit as bright and distinct on my MBP as on my iPad, iPhone or 2008 iMac. This newfangled "plasma deposition" method they're using to reduce reflection without adding diffusion wasn't available back then. The glare doesn't really bother me now that I've long since learned to minimize the problem, but in the beginning I uttered a few 4-letter words every time that bright light reduced my MBP to a $2500 shaving mirror. Oh well, problem of the past.

• Reply 247 of 247
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I don't know if there is any manner of antireflective coating on the glossy MBPs, but... looking at it, the reflections are every bit as bright and distinct on my MBP as on my iPad, iPhone or 2008 iMac. This newfangled "plasma deposition" method they're using to reduce reflection without adding diffusion wasn't available back then. The glare doesn't really bother me now that I've long since learned to minimize the problem, but in the beginning I uttered a few 4-letter words every time that bright light reduced my MBP to a $2500 shaving mirror. Oh well, problem of the past.

It was available. I am certain they used it on the iMac glass before the 2012 update, I can tell by the color quality of the reflections, though it is subtle. They probably didn't use as many layers, and the laminated layer took away two reflective surfaces too.