Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do

Comments

• Reply 21 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then have this, too!

One more thing to carry around, get lost/stolen, or broken.

• Reply 22 of 247

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

One more thing to carry around, get lost/stolen, or broken.

Like your… discs… 

• Reply 23 of 247

Quote:

Like your… discs… 

I carry backups, not the originals.

• Reply 24 of 247
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

LOL.  Streamlined?  Can someone tell me why Apple has a Macbook Air 13, and a Macbook Pro Retina 13 Flash?  And a Macbook Pro 13?  All with different screen sizes?

• Reply 25 of 247
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Out of all Apples execs I like Phil Schiller the most. There seems to be more a warmness and passion in his presentations than the others. Tim Cook seems more rehearsed and forced when he talks, he tries to emulate Steve's style more, but is not that convincing at it.
  • Reply 26 of 247
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple has long been at the forefront of technology, leading the way, while all others follow and copy.

What was the first computer to have USB, before anybody else even knew what USB was? The iMac!

Apple also ditched the floppy drive on the original iMac, and included an optical drive instead, a radical move at the time.

Apple makes drastic, radical and bold moves when needed, while the competition plays it safe, making lame products for lame people.

The competition is all about making shitty, cheap products, where a bargain basement price is their main selling feature! Case in point, all of those crappy Android tablets that are not even fit for a street bum to use. 

Anybody who complains about Apple removing the optical drive from the newest iMacs just doesn't get it, and you are not cutting edge enough to be an Apple user. 

• Reply 27 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

If by "years after they purchase it" he means 2 years, yes I can believe that considering developers are barely supporting the original iPad anymore.

Got a citation for that...  I am an iOS developer and there is no difference in supporting the iPad 1, 2, 3 or 4.  In our household we have:

3 x iPad 1

3 x iPad 2

1 x iPad 3

1 x iPad 4 (Mid Nov)

2 of the 1 Pad 1s and 1 iPad 2 are used by teenagers for: playing games, watching videos, reading iBooks, Web surfing, Homework with Pages, educational apps, specialty apps I've written, create an occasional movie with iMovie...

All are on iOS 5 or iOS 6... and there is no difficulty writing an app to run on any of them.

• Reply 28 of 247
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Sure, why put a spinning disc in a computer when we can charge you more for an external one?

Why force everyone to buy an internal disc, whether they want one or not .......  when you can easily give 100% of the consumers the choice .... with an external one. So just wtf are you complaining about?

• Reply 29 of 247
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Because that's what I have.

If Apple's market consisted only of "tylersdad", then I'd say you have a point. 

• Reply 30 of 247

Huh. How about that.

• Reply 31 of 247
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Why use a spinning disc when you can use something that won't fail due to the motion required to use it?

I was starting to think a little this way until my Mac spit up this "the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" with my external 1TB HD connected. It took a long ass time to re-rip my movies but those spinning disc was pretty darn good. Sure I can get an external optical drive but with external HD and external optical drive, that thin loses some of its appeal.

• Reply 32 of 247

Quote:

Quote:

Like your… discs… 

Still, it's a lot of stuff to fiddle with -- DVDs, cases, blank DVDs, Labels, Blank Cases, marking pen, bag to contain them all -- how many and which ones to take, which ones to leave (always wrong)...  You can't take it [all] with you!   The whole idea of being mobile is to just grab your device and go... the stuff you need will be available in the cloud, wherever you go!

• Reply 33 of 247
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Still, it's a lot of stuff to fiddle with -- DVDs, cases, blank DVDs, Labels, Blank Cases, marking pen, bag to contain them all -- how many and which ones to take, which ones to leave (always wrong)...  You can't take it [all] with you!   The whole idea of being mobile is to just grab your device and go... the stuff you need will be available in the cloud, wherever you go!

With movies, there is a lot to fiddle with even without optical media. The iPad doesn't fit too many movies so there is a lot of juggling with playlists and then syncing, so I understand not being able to take it all with me. I don't do iTunes and the cloud because I have a lot of DVD and Blu-ray, not going to repurchase my movies again nor do I want to switch to another format (downloads). Just going to live in my world for as long as I can.

• Reply 34 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Out of all Apples execs I like Phil Schiller the most. There seems to be more a warmness and passion in his presentations than the others. Tim Cook seems more rehearsed and forced when he talks, he tries to emulate Steve's style more, but is not that convincing at it.

I agree.  Schiller is a pretty decent presenter.  He seems very natural when up there speaking.  I nominate Schiller for CEO.

• Reply 35 of 247
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

I used optical 3 times this year. Last time was yesterday.

• Reply 36 of 247
    So judging by the hardware of this year and next year gamers just don't matter to apple.
    the discrete video is already pretty bad and cant run any games at the highest settings. very disappointing!!!!. now my family will have to switch from apple computers Just for gaming. we were really hoping for some 2gb video memory on MacBook Pros and at least 1gb video memory on MacMini...:no:
  • Reply 37 of 247

Would love to upgrade to Retina display MacBook Pro.  But I use my CD drive all the time.  Movie, burn cd's for the car, etc.

• Reply 38 of 247
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I was starting to think a little this way until my Mac spit up this "the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" with my external 1TB HD connected. It took a long ass time to re-rip my movies but those spinning disc was pretty darn good. Sure I can get an external optical drive but with external HD and external optical drive, that thin loses some of its appeal.

Exactly.  I would buy an Air if I don't want the ODD.  My roommate got the Air and he's always asking me where is his external ODD.  Yeah, I know he's not a very organized person.  But if the ODD was built-in, he would save a lot of time searching for it...  (BTW, lots of time he has to borrow my MBP to burn DVDs just because he couldn't find his external in time.  I don't use my MBP that much, well, that's another story.)

• Reply 39 of 247

I like Schiller's spunk.

Apple needs a few more people with b411s, like him.

• Reply 40 of 247
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Uh, until you have connection problem...  Then there is nothing....