Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do

Comments

• Reply 41 of 247
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Uh, until you have connection problem...  Then there is nothing....

What "connection problem"? Everywhere? At the same time? Such events are rare, and certainly not enough to deter anyone from the conveniences. 

The Cloud is available virtually anywhere you can get online. 

I can access my Dropbox, for example, from home, work, on the road, etc. From any device. If it's on the web, it's always there. 

• Reply 42 of 247
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Sure, why put a spinning disc in a computer when we can charge you more for an external one?

Why put a spinning disc in a computer that no one will use??

Oh, I get it... because it's all about you!!  So sorry, I didn't realize that your needs and the needs of the other 1% of folks that simply are stuck in 90's tech represent the other 99% of people that frankly will never use it!  

Why stop at ODD?  Why put COM ports, VGA ports, Centronics ports, Floppy drives, etc.  when Apple can charge more for an external one??

Just get lost whiner/troll/basement-dweller, whatever you are...

• Reply 43 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Got a citation for that...  I am an iOS developer and there is no difference in supporting the iPad 1, 2, 3 or 4.  In our household we have: ...

There's really not a lot of difference right now so long as you aren't developing GPU-intensive apps. However, look ahead to a year from now when iOS 7 is out and its adoption rate for iPad 2 and later is so high that it might as well be 100%. iPad 1 will of course be stranded on iOS 5 and we'll start seeing app support for the iPad 1 drop like a stone because it'll be such a pain to straddle three iOS versions in code. I'm nearing the release of an app and am strongly considering requiring IOS 6 now just because I don't want to commit to supporting iOS 5 for the next two or more years. Sure, I could drop iOS 5 support later but then I'd have users who are unable to upgrade to newer versions of my app and for whom any attempt to re-download it after a restore will fail. It's a shame since the issue could have been avoided if Apple had simply sacrificed $2.00 per device and 15 minutes of the 10 hour battery life to release it with a more reasonable 512MB of RAM.

• Reply 44 of 247
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good, Phil. Good. This tells us that the new Mac Pro will probably be universally hated by its established market but also will be the best device for the future for those who still buy it.

I wonder if the new Mac Pro will be a smaller box with zero room for HHDs (so, SSD only), no optical drives, just two PCI slots (for two GPUs), a couple of Xeons, and RAM. 

People who need HHDs can buy an external box that connects with Thunderbolt. 

• Reply 45 of 247
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    @Apple v Samsung:

But you basically echo the point:
    You don't use it often, so that means other people don't either.
    I still have a 2009 MacBook, but I haven't inserted a CD/DVD into it since Civilization 5 first came out. I don't need one at all any more, and if I'm like that, there are plenty more who are as well. For you and those like you, it's not like you constantly need it connected, so having it internal is really just a waste of space.

Of course there are plenty of people like you, but you are now the vast minority, and for you and them, the 3rd party developers are more than capable of filling the void, and I'm sure for less than $100.
  • Reply 46 of 247
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

I still have a 2009 MacBook, but I haven't inserted a CD/DVD into it since Civilization 5 first came out. 

I bought CIV V a while ago, no DVD though. I bought the deluxe version on Steam including all of the extra packs. It was a large download, but I don't see myself buying a physical copy of a game ever again. It makes no sense. I've also bought some games from the Mac App store.

All of my newer games are now stored in the cloud. They can be accessed from any machine that I have, and they will always be available to me until the day that I croak.

• Reply 47 of 247
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Why put a spinning disc in a computer that no one will use??

Oh, I get it... because it's all about you!!  So sorry, I didn't realize that your needs and the needs of the other 1% of folks that simply are stuck in 90's tech represent the other 99% of people that frankly will never use it!  

Why stop at ODD?  Why put COM ports, VGA ports, Centronics ports, Floppy drives, etc.  when Apple can charge more for an external one??

Just get lost whiner/troll/basement-dweller, whatever you are...

99%? Hyperbole much? Name call much?

• Reply 48 of 247
    It looks like the Google/ Samsung 'iPad killer' 10" tablet has been leaked.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/26/3559518/nexus-10-leaked-photos

If this is real - the folks at Apple will be howling with laughter at that POS !

Don't worry Samsung about all those lost orders from Apple for parts.

You'll probably sell . . .hundreds of those nexus 10" beauties :D
  • Reply 49 of 247
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StigsHero View Post

There's really not a lot of difference right now so long as you aren't developing GPU-intensive apps. However, look ahead to a year from now when iOS 7 is out and its adoption rate for iPad 2 and later is so high that it might as well be 100%. iPad 1 will of course be stranded on iOS 5 and we'll start seeing app support for the iPad 1 drop like a stone because it'll be such a pain to straddle three iOS versions in code. I'm nearing the release of an app and am strongly considering requiring IOS 6 now just because I don't want to commit to supporting iOS 5 for the next two or more years. Sure, I could drop iOS 5 support later but then I'd have users who are unable to upgrade to newer versions of my app and for whom any attempt to re-download it after a restore will fail. It's a shame since the issue could have been avoided if Apple had simply sacrificed $2.00 per device and 15 minutes of the 10 hour battery life to release it with a more reasonable 512MB of RAM.

This is why I go to the trash and save the app when there is an app update - so I can go back. Once it is gone, it is really gone.

• Reply 50 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

99%? Hyperbole much? Name cal much?

It may not be 99%, but he's 100% correct. The overwhelming majority does not want it or have a need for it anymore.

It is extremely selfish and egotistical for people to demand that an outdated and obsolete feature be included. If you want it, then go external. 

• Reply 51 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

It looks like the Google/ Samsung 'iPad killer' 10" tablet has been leaked.

That is the most disgusting looking thing that I've seen all day today.image

• Reply 52 of 247

"Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do"

Glue the computer's memory to the board making it harder for owners to upgrade their computers themselves?

• Reply 53 of 247
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepriver View Post

Would love to upgrade to Retina display MacBook Pro.  But I use my CD drive all the time.  Movie, burn cd's for the car, etc.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

You can buy an external CD drive for $100 (from apple, probably cheaper from others).

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 54 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder if the new Mac Pro will be a smaller box with zero room for HHDs (so, SSD only), no optical drives, just two PCI slots (for two GPUs), a couple of Xeons, and RAM. 

People who need HHDs can buy an external box that connects with Thunderbolt. 

That would be the right thing, IMHO

• Reply 55 of 247
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Out of all Apples execs I like Phil Schiller the most. There seems to be more a warmness and passion in his presentations than the others. Tim Cook seems more rehearsed and forced when he talks, he tries to emulate Steve's style more, but is not that convincing at it.

I agree, tim needs to dial it back a little.  I think he said "incredible" about 57 times during the show.

• Reply 56 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I agree.  Schiller is a pretty decent presenter.  He seems very natural when up there speaking.  I nominate Schiller for CEO.

Tim Cook is the operations guy, and apparently a good one. By the way, did you see Scott Forstall recently? I haven't, I am guessing he is in the doghouse.

• Reply 57 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

You can buy an external CD drive for $100 (from apple, probably cheaper from others).

You can get them for around $29, not Apple branded of course. 

• Reply 58 of 247
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Why use a spinning disc when you can use something that won't fail due to the motion required to use it?

So it's fail proof?
  • Reply 59 of 247
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's feelings about netbooks of yesteryear were largely echoed this week about cheap 7-inch tablets like the Google Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD. This week the company unveiled the iPad mini, with a 7.9-inch display and $329 entry price.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said on Thursday that he views the 7-inch tablets on the market as poor products. He said Apple would "never" make such a cheap product, but instead strives to create devices that people will love for months and years after they purchase it.

"We didn't set out to build a small, cheap tablet," Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer added. "We set out to build a smaller iPad that has the full iPad experience."

Did I miss something? The Nexus 7 uses a quad-core 1.3 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM and a 1280x800 display. The iPad Mini uses a dual-core 1.0 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, and a 1024x768 display. I would hardly call the competition's products as cheap.

Still at the end of the day, I would opt for a fourth-gen iPad over any of these 7" tablets. I currently have the third-gen iPad. I already have an iPhone which suffices for a small eReader on the go.

• Reply 60 of 247
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by encino View Post

"Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do"

Glue the computer's memory to the board making it harder for owners to upgrade their computers themselves?

If this is a problem, consumers will answer with their wallets. So far, any limitations Apple has placed on Macs have been met with open wallets and glowing consumer satisfaction reports. 

The market consists of a lot more than the 5 feet of your personal space, encino.