Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do

Comments

• Reply 101 of 247
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

That's the second time you've referred to people having to live up to the requirements of being an Apple owner. It's ridiculous. People have work to do. Cutting edge is a very very very very dangerous and expensive place to be when clients are waiting.

What is becoming obvious to more and more of us though is that Apple just doesn't give a shit about that segment of the market because there aren't enough of us. I wouldn't care except that I have a rather sizable investment in software for OSX and I prefer that OS over Windows. I wish Apple would just spin off a "Pro" division to someone else who would be willing to build workstations instead of fashion accessories.

If you're running a business that relies on certain things, then of course you have to be more conservative in your upgrade choices, if you still rely on old technologies for your job and you have clients to please and deadlines to meet.

Some people whined about Final Cut X when it first came out, but only a fool would have jumped into that head first, without still keeping their original systems and software intact, if they relied on it for any sort of Pro uses. That's just plain common sense.

• Reply 102 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

This is a conversation I've had with people time and again.  Apple pushes forward compared to MS and the pc crowd, who keep themselves locked into a tech, be it good or bad, for what seems like forever because they're afraid to piss off their customers.  Apple has no issue pissing off customers, who get mad and then just buy in and deal with the change.  I'm grateful there is a company like Apple doing this in the tech world.

If it wasn't for Apple, Microsoft would be releasing DOS 8 this month which would ship on a cassette tape.

2013 will be THE year, Microsoft assures us all, that the 640K memory limit will be breached.

• Reply 103 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Why put a spinning disc in a computer that no one will use??

Oh, I get it... because it's all about you!!  So sorry, I didn't realize that your needs and the needs of the other 1% of folks that simply are stuck in 90's tech represent the other 99% of people that frankly will never use it!  

Why stop at ODD?  Why put COM ports, VGA ports, Centronics ports, Floppy drives, etc.  when Apple can charge more for an external one??

Just get lost whiner/troll/basement-dweller, whatever you are...

This is what happens when you don't accept the Apple dogma.

Who am I? I'm an iPhone owner (from 3GS to 5), iPad owner, iPod touch owner. But I have a PC, because I don't want to break out my external drive every time I'm on a plane and want to watch a movie.

Quite being such a jerk.

• Reply 104 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

But I have a PC, because I don't want to break out my external drive every time I'm on a plane and want to watch a movie.

You must be one of the last people on planet earth to actually use a physical disc to watch a movie on a plane.

I had a powerbook around the year 2000, and that's when I last remember still bringing an actual DVD with me on a flight to watch it.

Apple is a forward thinking company, and they're not going to accommodate people such as yourself, that's just the way that it is. 

• Reply 105 of 247
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If you're running a business that relies on certain things, then of course you have to be more conservative in your upgrade choices, if you still rely on old technologies for your job and you have clients to please and deadlines to meet.

The problem with the Apple line-up is that certain features of the new machines are really desirable but the trade-offs are destructive or cost-prohibitive.

As a random example, BlackMagic Design makes really cool little video capture/monitoring devices in both Thunderbolt and USB3 versions. The Thunderbolt version costs 25% more, PLUS (and this is the biggie) every bloody Thunderbolt device requires a *$50* cable!

I (and others like me) certainly can just hold station for now, but eventually our hardware is going to be the equivalent of a Pentium with serial ports. We'll have to upgrade eventually, but Apple isn't offering us the kind of tools we want. That shouldn't mean we don't deserve to use Apple products.

• Reply 106 of 247
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153788/phil-schiller-says-apple-does-with-its-macs-what-pc-makers-are-afraid-to-do/80#post_2220662"]
    You must be one of the last people on planet earth to actually use a physical disc to watch a movie on a plane.

I had a powerbook around the year 2000, and that's when I last remember still bringing an actual DVD with me on a flight to watch it.

Apple is a forward thinking company, and they're not going to accommodate people such as yourself, that's just the way that it is. 

They do still sell plenty of portable DVD players you know. He has much company.
  • Reply 107 of 247
    one step at time we are heading to the PC being like a TV set.

1) Ensure all parts are soldered in making the difficult / impossible to upgrade. This is good because it means the user will buy a complete new machine instead of just adding extra memory or hard drive etc.
    2) Removal of all means of loading data except via internet, this is good so that the user can only get content online so no need for retail stores and supplying physical media.
    3) Only allow software approved by the app store. Ensures we get a cut from everything sold,.
    4) Only allow storage in the cloud, this is good because we lock the customer in further.

Cant wait until the industry finally manages to adopt this awesome model of computing. Yes I am so glad big corporations are Improving my computing experience one step at a time.
  • Reply 108 of 247

1) Ensure all parts are soldered in making the difficult / impossible to upgrade. This is good because it means the user will buy a complete new machine instead of just adding extra memory or hard drive etc.
    2) Removal of all means of loading data except via internet, this is good so that the user can only get content online so no need for retail stores and supplying physical media.
    3) Only allow software approved by the app store. Ensures we get a cut from everything sold,.
    4) Only allow storage in the cloud, this is good because we lock the customer in further.

Cant wait until the industry finally manages to adopt this awesome model of computing. Yes I am so glad big corporations are Improving my computing experience one step at a time.
  • Reply 109 of 247

• Reply 110 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

The problem with the Apple line-up is that certain features of the new machines are really desirable but the trade-offs are destructive or cost-prohibitive.

As a random example, BlackMagic Design makes really cool little video capture/monitoring devices in both Thunderbolt and USB3 versions. The Thunderbolt version costs 25% more, PLUS (and this is the biggie) every bloody Thunderbolt device requires a *$50* cable!

I (and others like me) certainly can just hold station for now, but eventually our hardware is going to be the equivalent of a Pentium with serial ports. We'll have to upgrade eventually, but Apple isn't offering us the kind of tools we want. That shouldn't mean we don't deserve to use Apple products.

I don't do any pro video myself, I'm mostly a music guy, but I know of the BlackMagic boxes. Some of my friends do video.

There's always been a premium associated with Mac compatible devices, going back as far as I can remember. 

Apple has been quiet on the Mac Pro front for a while, but I think that's going to change next year. 

• Reply 111 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They do still sell plenty of portable DVD players you know. He has much company.

The bottom line, IMO, is that if somebody still loves their physical discs and needs to watch them while being mobile, then they should just go and buy something else. I'm sure that there are other devices made by other companies that will satisfy their needs. Macs are not for those sorts of people.

• Reply 112 of 247
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    v5v wrote: »
    It isn't difficult to find a Mac-compatible Blu-ray burner.

It *IS*, however, difficult to return one when you find it is NOT Mac-compatible. I bought a Samsung unit from NewEgg based on reviews from Mac users saying it worked for them. For me, it crashes the Mac every singe time I insert a disc. Now I have an expensive paperweight because I didn't give up on finding a way to make it work until after the 7-day return period was up.

The moral of the story seems to be: Plug it in the moment it arrives. If it doesn't "Just work" on the first try, send it back immediately.

I thought the moral of the story was going to be "don't buy Samsung crap".
  • Reply 113 of 247
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I think many "blog pundits" misread the purpose behind the iPad mini. They thought it was being released to lower the price point to compete. The real reason was that there are a large number of people that want a much lighter device that is more suitable for reading. Apple delivered a device that weighs slightly less than the Kindle and Nexus 7, while delivering more screen real estate. That's where the value is.

You are right about the acreage and overall advantages, but mostly wrong about weight.

The mini weighs more than any Kindles (reading) except the Fires (other media), and only an ounce less than Nexus 7.

The iPad4 weighs more than any of the Fires.

Of course, its only a few ounces, and anyway, 'the weight ain't the test', especially at that small a difference.

• Reply 114 of 247
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Personally, I use my built-in burners all the time.

I send a lot of jobs to the printer. Their courier is in my office delivering things everyday so it is sometimes easier for me to just hand him a DVD with the next job rather than spend the time to upload it and then they have to spend the time to download it plus the maintenance to delete the server copy when the job is complete. Those files are really big.

Also with the DVD version they just toss it in the job jacket so I automatically get another back up.

If there is a problem they can't say that the file was corrupt (unless it was) because there is a read only version that they received.

For our accounting I make back-ups on DVD because that sever is not allowed to be on the Internet. Of course it is PC so it has a burner but just saying I use it.

When we go to trade shows the conference center audio/video techs have regular music CD players that they use to play the background music and they swap out physical CDs when each speaker comes on stage. I burn several different play lists for the various parts of the event.

I often just need a cheap throwaway media to take with me to the copy center. I don't want to hand them them my USB drive that might have additional files on it. I just want them to have only the print files nothing more and they don't even have to return the disc.

I often download the DVD.iso of the CentOS and burn it when building new servers. Sure you can make it boot from a USB stick but it is sort of a hassle.

I could go on but it doesn't bother me that Apple removed the drive. I'll just use some other computer that still has one whenever I need it. Just saying that I still use the discs quite a bit but only when it is an appropriate media. I have plenty of storage in our datacenter and I have also written a really nice file sharing application similar to Dropbox that runs on our server so it is not like I'm clinging to the past.

I realize my usage is not all that typical but I still don't think that optical media is completely dead either. If you want the latest kit from Apple you have to live with whatever they have decided to provide. Otherwise buy something else.

• Reply 115 of 247
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    It never occurred to me that I was paying for a DVD drive in every computer and likely not using more than one if any over any given time.

I do burn discs very frequently (probably 1-2 per week). I would not mind buying a separate drive knowing it will likely be my last ever.
  • Reply 116 of 247

You know how the optical disk drive got eliminated? It wasn't just a wild idea. It was a series of small indignities, one after another that did it in.

• Reply 117 of 247
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You know how the optical disk drive got eliminated? It wasn't just a wild idea. It was a series of small indignities, one after another that did it in.

LL

Today's iDevices are thin enough to be just as daunting to pick up off the ground for certain people. :D

Seriously though, I understand if people wish that the ODD or FW was still present but those are seem to dumbstruck by the very notion that Apple would remove these in 2012 is mind boggling. I can't see how anyone reasonable doesn't realize when they are using obsolescing tech.
  • Reply 118 of 247
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

LL

At least he can still see his disk LOL
  • Reply 119 of 247
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I once had a client like that. It was a government job but I failed to budget into the contract that he would break every single chair in our office including the couch and the toilet during the course of that 3 month project.

• Reply 120 of 247
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It never occurred to me that I was paying for a DVD drive in every computer and likely not using more than one if any over any given time.

Which has me wondering now, how come the device has fewer drives but the price hasn't gone down?

The current hard drive offerings cost the same as or less than last year's did at the time. Same with CPU and RAM. So how come no price drop to reflect the removed component?