Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 117

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post



    Also ... there is no such thing as "dual stereo speakers" anyway.


    LOL. At least they didn't claim the mini has a "single mono speaker". I also also love how the first three points of comparison are in fact just one point (display resolution) repeated in different ways. It's quite insulting that they think their own customers are too dumb to see past such disingenuous claims. 

  • Reply 22 of 117
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member


    New Amazon ad:


     


     


    Kindle Fire  vs Ipad Mini


     


     


    Stereo Speakers with subwoofer and Dolby Surround / tiny mono speaker


     


    Google maps / broken map app tells you Chicago is in Brazil


     


    HD display / single blinking LED


     


    Play Full Angry Birds / can only run one mangy bird with a broken wing*


     


    10 Hour Battery Life / 45 seconds of battery life


     


    $250 / $35,000

  • Reply 23 of 117
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member


    Those crazy fools, they actually used the specs on Apple's website.  How slimy and despicable!


     


    Anyway, people do gripe about the mono crap in the other models.  Apple's spec should probably be revised.  Anyone who hasn't read a review that explicitly states otherwise, or used one themselves, will make the same mistake of believing it's a single speaker. 

  • Reply 24 of 117
    Good to know the real iPad 4 will have dual speakers. Wonder how close they can get to the mini in terms of weight and girth.
  • Reply 25 of 117
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    So which intern or high school student created that ad?
  • Reply 26 of 117
    There used to be a company called "PeoplePC" that sells $200 PC with ads and monthly dial-up service.

    I wonder whatever happend to that company? Oh yeah, it still offers cheap dial-up but it was out of the PC business. I guess Ads weren't enough to support the hardware/software development.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    With the speakers so close together, stereo or mono would not make a difference. It would not create a spatial effect. Besides, none of these speakers are high quality enough to make any difference.
  • Reply 28 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dfl88 wrote: »
    how can the say "no hd movies"?
    iPad mini specs: "Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p,"!!

    Yep. Expecting honesty from Amazon is too much to ask, I guess.
  • Reply 29 of 117
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    512ke wrote: »
    New Amazon ad:


    Kindle Fire  vs Ipad Mini


    Stereo Speakers with subwoofer and Dolby Surround / tiny mono speaker

    Google maps / broken map app tells you Chicago is in Brazil

    HD display / single blinking LED

    Play Full Angry Birds / can only run one mangy bird with a broken wing*

    10 Hour Battery Life / 45 seconds of battery life

    $250 / $35,000

    Ok, really funny.

    J.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    You know, it really doesn't make that much difference either way on the iPad. One speaker about two inches away from its counterpart is negligible for stereo separation.

    I have no opinion on the Fire HD as I've never used one, maybe it's still terrible sound, but the Fire HD at least has a speaker on each end. One thing that's bothered me about the iPad for video playback is the sound only comes from one side. It really doesn't make sense that Apple doesn't put a speaker on the opposite edge too. Then the sound isn't so one-sided.

    There used to be a company called "PeoplePC" that sells $200 PC with ads and monthly dial-up service.
    I wonder whatever happend to that company? Oh yeah, it still offers cheap dial-up but it was out of the PC business. I guess Ads weren't enough to support the hardware/software development.

    That's clearly true, ads really don't pay much. I think the no-Ad version of a Kindle is $15 more than an ad-supported equivalent. Amazon has a media ecosystem going for it, it's anybody's guess whether it really pays off, because Amazon doesn't give any figures.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member


    I have to agree with them on the resolution. I would purchase one of them except for the aspect and sub 720P resolution. I was hoping for a higher PPI for the mini. Will wait for the next gen to see if that improves.

  • Reply 32 of 117
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Can't wait for the eventual tear down, to see if the spec sheet on Apple's website is correct, and there really is just one speaker.
    Remember: two grilles /= two speakers.

    Oh, and "mono" means one, and "speaker" means speaker.


    iyhd1y.jpg
  • Reply 33 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post



    You know, it really doesn't make that much difference either way on the iPad. One speaker about two inches away from its counterpart is negligible for stereo separation.

     


     


    That is true, I don't believe that it makes much of a difference, but the main point here was that Amazon was factually incorrect in their ad.


     


    The best placement for stereo speakers on an iPad would be on the landscape side, not in portrait. If the speakers were located all the way to the left and to the right on the landscape side, then that would be the best solution, as there would be far greater separation between them, and I believe that landscape speakers are better and more useful than portrait speakers, because when people view content such as tv and video, their iPad will be in landscape mode and not in portrait mode.

  • Reply 34 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post



    Can't wait for the eventual tear down, to see if the spec sheet on Apple's website is correct, and there really is just one speaker.



     


     


    We don't need to wait for any teardown, Apple has already confirmed that it is stereo.

  • Reply 35 of 117
    I dont know about everyone els, but im a consumer so i want the best stuff for my money. 200$ for a bunch of shitty apps and half assed services and a warranty that requires me to wait for a my tablet to be fixed and sent back by mail. VS 330$ for a lighter thinner sturdier tablet with the best apps services and warranty. It seems like the 200$ option is just throwing out cash. VS spending money on a great device yo actualy use. Regardless of who is making the better device i think i want that one. If amazon was offering what apple is now. For 200 bucks than i would jump ship in a second and go over to amazon. Untill than no thank you.
  • Reply 36 of 117

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post



    Also ... there is no such thing as "dual stereo speakers" anyway.


     


    Quadraphonic man! Where did I put that quadraphonic Pink Floyd 8-track?

  • Reply 37 of 117
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Also ... there is no such thing as "dual stereo speakers" anyway.

    Agreed! But u will go insane correcting advertising text! :)
  • Reply 38 of 117
    did apple mention it in their keynote? didn't seem like much attention was directed towards the speakers.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    macsavy wrote: »
    I dont know about everyone els, but im a consumer so i want the best stuff for my money. 200$ for a bunch of shitty apps and half assed services and a warranty that requires me to wait for a my tablet to be fixed and sent back by mail. VS 330$ for a lighter thinner sturdier tablet with the best apps services and warranty. It seems like the 200$ option is just throwing out cash. VS spending money on a great device yo actualy use. Regardless of who is making the better device i think i want that one. If amazon was offering what apple is now. For 200 bucks than i would jump ship in a second and go over to amazon. Untill than no thank you.

    Why do American (& Korean) companies always try to produce cheap s**ty products? When the most valuable company in the world (Apple) has chosen the high road and creates insanely great products! I will only buy apple electronics!
  • Reply 40 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post



    did apple mention it in their keynote? didn't seem like much attention was directed towards the speakers.


    No, I don't believe that they did.


     


    The iPad Mini will be the first iPad with stereo speakers. 

Sign In or Register to comment.