Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Oh really?  iFixit disassembled a Fire HD and there are 2(dual) speakers on the left side and the right side.

Yeah? And why shouldn't it simply called stereo speakers. You know, one speaker can not be stereo, right? What is "dual stereo"?

• Reply 82 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Only one of these two companies makes a product with built-in ads. You tell me which one wants to please their customers?

Ummm, don't all smartphones have built-in ads?

• Reply 83 of 117
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p

"480p does not qualify as high-definition television (HDTV); it is considered Enhanced-definition television (EDTV)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Really? I guess you never saw a TV ad during the years they were working their way up to actually having 1080 x 1920 physical pixels on the screen. (I was a late adopter, because that was a prerequisite for me.)

The FTC wouldn't allow the manufacturers to call any TV with less than 720 lines vertical resolution "High" Definition, so they invented the term "Enhanced" Definition. The FTC would let them use that for any TV with more than 307,200 pixels—including "Fox Widescreen" at 480 x 853.

Huh. Learn something new every day. Either it was an American thing that didn't really catch on outside the USA or I had my head up my ass during that period. I honestly don't recall ever hearing that phrase, but maybe I did and just don't remember. Or maybe I just dismissed it as marketing gobbledegook and banished it from my consciousness. Or maybe the head injury I suffered in the 1980s that wiped some of my channels is making the flowers bloom much more brightly this year, don't you think?

• Reply 84 of 117
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Oh really?  iFixit disassembled a Fire HD and there are 2(dual) speakers on the left side and the right side.

No, it's still one speaker on each side, with each speaker having 2 drivers. I have a set of two way bookshelf speakers that have a tweeter and woofer in each speaker. No one has ever called one of the speaker, a dual speaker because there are two drivers in each speaker. A speaker can have 3,4 or even 5 drivers and it's still called just a speaker because all the drivers are playing the same channel.

• Reply 85 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    harbinger wrote: »

Ummm, don't all smartphones have built-in ads?

No. The iPhone certainly doesn't.

Now, some apps that you might choose to install might have ads, but that's a different matter.

In contrast, look at the subsidized Kindles. They have ads right out of the box.
  • Reply 86 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I've heard of Enhanced Definition, but it's a rarely used term.
    russell wrote: »
    Oh yes it does matter. The sound quality of the Kindle Fire HD is far superior to any ipad.

I don't know how to read the comment you replied to. I thought he was referring to the iPad's speakers having only a couple inches of separation.

Just the fact that sound comes out of opposite ends on the Fire is good. I don't like how iPad's sound only comes from one end in landscape mode, it makes watching video awkward for me. I wish there was a speaker on the opposite edge too. I haven't seen or heard a Fire in person, so I won't comment on its sound quality.

Sure Apple will be ahead after 3 years, but it's at the expense of the people that upgrade every year.

You do know that nobody has to upgrade every year, right? If anyone upgrades every year, it's because they choose to, no one forced them. Even though I think it's crazy, it is their money, even though the previous year's device often still works just as well. I went about five years between new Macs, two years for iPads and I'm at 2.5 years on iPhones at the moment.
  • Reply 87 of 117
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I don't like how iPad's sound only comes from one end in landscape mode, it makes watching video awkward for me.

Maybe there's something like this for the iPad as well

• Reply 88 of 117

Looks like Apple is making Amazon nervous, and it should be. The iPad Mini is a far superior product to Kindle Krap.

• Reply 89 of 117
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Good to see Gizmodo are up to their usual tricks.

They are basically the Fox News of tech journalism.

....and no, I am not an American voter.

WTF?

• Reply 90 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Yeah? And why shouldn't it simply called stereo speakers. You know, one speaker can not be stereo, right? What is "dual stereo"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

No, it's still one speaker on each side, with each speaker having 2 drivers. I have a set of two way bookshelf speakers that have a tweeter and woofer in each speaker. No one has ever called one of the speaker, a dual speaker because there are two drivers in each speaker. A speaker can have 3,4 or even 5 drivers and it's still called just a speaker because all the drivers are playing the same channel.

It can be called stereo speakers, but Amazon wanted to point out there are 2 speakers per side. They are using that feature to differentiate their product from other tablets, specifically the iPad.

Multiple drivers are common in home stereos, but not on tablets. If Amazon called it 2 drivers per speaker then 90% of their customers wouldn't know what the heck they were talking about.

What I find more interesting is, the iPad2 & 3 have stereo speakers. Apple intentionally misleads people by only using the singular form, "speaker" on their spec page.

• Reply 91 of 117
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Good to see Gizmodo are up to their usual tricks.

They are basically the Fox News of tech journalism.

....and no, I am not an American voter.

What does that mean?  Fox News incorrectly reported the same story?

• Reply 92 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've heard of Enhanced Definition, but it's a rarely used term.

I don't know how to read the comment you replied to. I thought he was referring to the iPad's speakers having only a couple inches of separation.

Just the fact that sound comes out of opposite ends on the Fire is good. I don't like how iPad's sound only comes from one end in landscape mode, it makes watching video awkward for me. I wish there was a speaker on the opposite edge too. I haven't seen or heard a Fire in person, so I won't comment on its sound quality.

You do know that nobody has to upgrade every year, right? If anyone upgrades every year, it's because they choose to, no one forced them. Even though I think it's crazy, it is their money, even though the previous year's device often still works just as well. I went about five years between new Macs, two years for iPads and I'm at 2.5 years on iPhones at the moment.

I was commenting about how the whole speaker setup on the ipads are terrible.

I know you don't want to, but after listening to a Fire, you might like it.

I know people don't have to upgrade every year, but most Apple users can't stop themselves. Apple is controlling them like a drug dealer does his addicts.

• Reply 93 of 117

I was commenting about how the whole speaker setup on the ipads are terrible.

I know you don't want to, but after listening to a Fire, you might like it.

I didn't say I didn't want to try one, I tend give things a try unless it's simply ridiculous. I just don't know of a way to try one without ordering one, I don't think there is one on display locally yet. I have this standard for Apple too, I didn't buy an iPad 3 until after I played with one a bit.

I know people don't have to upgrade every year, but most Apple users can't stop themselves. Apple is controlling them like a drug dealer does his addicts.

You're still making a broad generalization. I don't know any Apple customer that buys every update. I know some people that are still using the iPhone 3G and 3GS. Apple doesn't control its customers in any way that I've seen.
  • Reply 94 of 117
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yep, I mentioned this yesterday.

The Kindle Fire is merely an ad infested shopping portal for Amazon. The iPad Mini is a far superior tablet. 

ALL types of media, whether it’s movies, music, books, photos or web pages, look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD than any iPad

Quote:

That is true, I don't believe that it makes much of a difference, but the main point here was that Amazon was factually incorrect in their ad.

The best placement for stereo speakers on an iPad would be on the landscape side, not in portrait. If the speakers were located all the way to the left and to the right on the landscape side, then that would be the best solution, as there would be far greater separation between them, and I believe that landscape speakers are better and more useful than portrait speakers, because when people view content such as tv and video, their iPad will be in landscape mode and not in portrait mode.

Amazon was incorrect because they got their information from Apple's spec page.

Best speaker placement on any tablet would be the landscape side. And that's how Amazon put them on the Fire HD.

Quote:

No, I don't believe that they did.

The iPad Mini will be the first iPad with stereo speakers. 

WRONG. You are factually incorrect like Amazon was. Should we hang you too?

ipad2 speaker assembly from ifixit.  I count 4 wires.

Quote:

No need to wait until the weekend. We can find out right now. image

Phil Schiller confirmed it in an email.

I notice that the link is censored, but it's a site that has a numerical nine and a five in it's title.image

http://************/2012/10/31/phil-schiller-clarifies-ipad-mini-has-stereo-speakers-following-amazons-kindle-comparison/

"It is stereo"  He didn't sound too proud about it.  Admitting that it's stereo and sounds the way it does, I wouldn't want to brag about it either.

• Reply 95 of 117
    I don't really consider 720 to be "HD" anymore, anyway. :lol:  If 1080 is "full HD", then 2k must be "fuller HD", 4k must be "minsterfuller HD", and Super Hi-Vision must be "buckminsterfuller HD". If 720 is HD, so is 481.

It really depends on if the signal is interlaced or progressive. 1080i displays only 540 lines per frame, whereas 720p gives you all 720 in a frame.
  • Reply 96 of 117

Quote:

I didn't say I didn't want to try one, I tend give things a try unless it's simply ridiculous. I just don't know of a way to try one without ordering one, I don't think there is one on display locally yet. I have this standard for Apple too, I didn't buy an iPad 3 until after I played with one a bit.

You're still making a broad generalization. I don't know any Apple customer that buys every update. I know some people that are still using the iPhone 3G and 3GS. Apple doesn't control its customers in any way that I've seen.

It's good you have an open mind and are willing to try it.  Most people on these boards are not.

There have been many posts from people saying they can't wait to buy the latest gadget. It give's them the excuse to hand down the current gadget to their spouse or kid.

• Reply 97 of 117
    There have been many posts from people saying they can't wait to buy the latest gadget. It give's them the excuse to hand down the current gadget to their spouse or kid.

Maybe that's a little different. Such as they're adding rather than replacing.

People on internet discussion boards don't necessarily represent the population at large.
  • Reply 98 of 117

Quote:

Maybe that's a little different. Such as they're adding rather than replacing.

People on internet discussion boards don't necessarily represent the population at large.

You're putting words in my mouth.

I said, "I know people don't have to upgrade every year, but most Apple users can't stop themselves...."  Adding or replacing is irrelevant, they're still upgrading.

I agree.

• Reply 99 of 117
    You're putting words in my mouth.
    I said, "I know people don't have to upgrade every year, but most Apple users can't stop themselves...."  Adding or replacing is irrelevant, they're still upgrading.

I agree.

You're clearly misunderstanding my comment. I wasn't putting words in your mouth.

I find it odd that willing to make generalizations that Apple controls its customer base and that Apple buyers are like a bunch of drug addicts, but you have a problem with my benign reply?
  • Reply 100 of 117

Quote:

You're clearly misunderstanding my comment. I wasn't putting words in your mouth.

I find it odd that willing to make generalizations that Apple controls its customer base and that Apple buyers are like a bunch of drug addicts, but you have a problem with my benign reply?

I find it hard to believe you still can't make the connection.

Of course Apple (or any company), do not control it's customers in the literal sense, but they do control them, or to a lesser degree, influence them with marketing hype.