Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't see how it helps to have stereo speakers that are placed well within the width of my ears. For reflecting off walls so I can get the desired effect?

charlituna wrote: »
    Amazon discovered?
    Don't you mean they got a notice from Apple's lawyers that they had 24 hours to revise or remove the ad or be sued underestimate false advertising laws. Same as what happened with Microsoft when they continued to air an ad that showed an invalid price for a MacBook a month after the price change took effect

Someone in the legal department had to discover the words Apple's department had written to them.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    v5v wrote: »
    I think that's fair. It's really NOT HD resolution. I'm sure it looks just fine, but downscaling 1080 to fit the screen isn't the same as displaying pixel-for-pixel. I'd be annoyed if a manufacturer claimed a 1024x768 screen is "HD" and I'm sure people here would jump all over anyone who did.

That may be true, but that's not what Amazon said. They said that you can't watch HD movies (note that it's next to 'Watch HD Movies and TV" for context. More importantly, they state that the Mini is "standard definition". Since they're making claims about HD, this is incorrect. The Mini will easily play 480p movies - which is classified as enhanced definition, not standard definition.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Wait... are you telling me that an Apple competitor put out an ad that was not truthful??  No!!! Say it ain't so!!!  *rolls eyes*

• Reply 64 of 117

how did you file.  I quit prime. But no one seemed to care. There seems to be no place to give them a piece of my mind.

• Reply 65 of 117
    Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos vows to put 3 speakers into the next Amazon Kindle Fire. Three. Because that's how the unimaginative tech industry "competes."

Then Samsung will follow up with a 5 speaker system. One in each corner with a sub-wofer in the center back (which won't get counted for the thickness of the device). They'll call it Hi-Five™ and no one will care.
  • Reply 66 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Not only a third speaker, but he promises to keep giving the Kindle even more .... more bezel! Further cementing it's place as the tablet with much more bezel for much less. "How'd you like 'dem apples, Apple?" Bezos said defiantly. Amazon leading the industry in bezel innovation.

True, they neglected to mention the larger bezel around the screen, or dead glass. More dead glass than the iPad Mini! The size of a larger tablet without the benefits!

• Reply 67 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then Samsung will follow up with a 5 speaker system. One in each corner with a sub-wofer in the center back (which won't get counted for the thickness of the device). They'll call it Hi-Five™ and no one will care.

Actually, "built-in speaker" would be listed 5 times on the features checklist, to help pad it out.

• Reply 68 of 117
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Like its politicians, American corporations believe that what matters is to speak first and loudest. The truth of what's said is considered as an afterthought, if at all.

After all, 144 pt lies run on the front page; 6 pt retractions on page 43.

Of course getting away with this, time after time, year after year, requires a profoundly ignorant populace drunk on recreational condemnation and smugly indifferent to facts.
  • Reply 69 of 117
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

ROFL... only when they are sold as boxed speakers.., (commonly known are bookshelf speakers)

and your floor standing ones are Triple stereo speakers... echo...echo....echo...

and when You get to the superduper gigantic floorstanding speakers... QUADRUPLE STEREO SPEAKERS!!!!... /sarcasm Reverberating Canyon echo....echo...echo...

You guys really couldn't figure out what they meant? "Dual stereo speakers" meant there are two speakers running in stereo output. You could potentially have "dual" (two) speakers that run a mono audio output, they just worded it oddly.

• Reply 70 of 117
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That may be true, but that's not what Amazon said. They said that you can't watch HD movies (note that it's next to 'Watch HD Movies and TV" for context. More importantly, they state that the Mini is "standard definition". Since they're making claims about HD, this is incorrect. The Mini will easily play 480p movies - which is classified as enhanced definition, not standard definition.

Respectfully, this is the first time I've ever seen the phrase "Enhanced Definition" and I work in broadcast. Technically p *IS* slightly more D than i, but in the circles I travel it's just considered another form of SD.

• Reply 71 of 117
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

(1) Cheap ass broke person buys a $200, low quality Android tablet. They will have to live with a sub-par, frustrating experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their tablet will be worth almost nothing if and when they try to sell it.

(2) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. They will have to live with a wonderful, first class experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their superior Apple product will still command a respectable price on the used market, as high quality Apple products are always in high demand. Cheap ass broke person #2 will end up with more money in their pocket than cheap ass broke person #1 who thought that they were being smart and saving a couple of dollars by buying the inferior, cheaper product.

(3) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. A year later, Apple releases an A6X version so they upgrade, losing $100. The year after that, Apple releases a retina version so they upgrade, losing $100. Year 3, Apple releases a thinner, lighter IZGO version so they upgrade losing $100.

So who's ahead after 3 years?

• Reply 72 of 117
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    (3) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. A year later, Apple releases an A6X version so they upgrade, losing $100. The year after that, Apple releases a retina version so they upgrade, losing $100. Year 3, Apple releases a thinner, lighter IZGO version so they upgrade losing $100.

I'd say Apple will be ahead after 3 years than some cheap ass broke person. In fact, lets take 1 hour of Apple's net profits compared to a cheap ass broke person entire life's earnings and Apple will still be ahead.
  • Reply 73 of 117

Didn't the ad also mention something about the mini having NO ability to watch videos?

What a clueless moron. 

I say Amacon is an ad-based boof catering to the ignorant masses with false advertising.

• Reply 74 of 117
    Actually, "built-in speaker" would be listed 5 times on the features checklist, to help pad it out.

"Dual stereo speaker plus one"
  • Reply 75 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Respectfully, this is the first time I've ever seen the phrase "Enhanced Definition" and I work in broadcast. Technically p *IS* slightly more D than i, but in the circles I travel it's just considered another form of SD.

Really? I guess you never saw a TV ad during the years they were working their way up to actually having 1080 x 1920 physical pixels on the screen. (I was a late adopter, because that was a prerequisite for me.)

The FTC wouldn't allow the manufacturers to call any TV with less than 720 lines vertical resolution "High" Definition, so they invented the term "Enhanced" Definition. The FTC would let them use that for any TV with more than 307,200 pixels—including "Fox Widescreen" at 480 x 853.

• Reply 76 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    v5v wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p
    "480p does not qualify as high-definition television (HDTV); it is considered Enhanced-definition television (EDTV)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced-definition_television
    hentaiboy wrote: »

That would depend on how much you value having the latest product. Since you're upgrading every year, obviously, that's of some value.

In any event, it's ridiculous to compare someone who buys three brand new iPads to a person who buys one low end Android tablet and holds onto it for 3 years.
  • Reply 77 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That would depend on how much you value having the latest product. Since you're upgrading every year, obviously, that's of some value.

In any event, it's ridiculous to compare someone who buys three brand new iPads to a person who buys one low end Android tablet and holds onto it for 3 years.

You're talking to this troll as if it were an honest post.  He and all the other Fandroids have a set agenda and there's no deflecting them from it. If Apple brings out a new version of some product and it doesn't have a replicator and antigravity, it's: "Same old, same old! Apple should be ashamed bringing out a new product without 'features' A, B, C,...etc., which Android has had since 37 B.C."

If Apple brings out a product that's noticeably improved, it's: "The arrogance of Apple bringing out a product that makes the ones people bought last year less than the latest!"

Of course, the weekly spate of "new" Android devices with "features" the nerderati have been howling for, and bragging about them all over the techblogosphere, that doesn't make any old Android devices obsolete.....

• Reply 78 of 117

yes but regardless of how far apart the speakers are, I think 2 is great, more loudness, more punch act, use your head.

• Reply 79 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Also ... there is no such thing as "dual stereo speakers" anyway.

Oh really?  iFixit disassembled a Fire HD and there are 2(dual) speakers on the left side and the right side.

• Reply 80 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd say Apple will be ahead after 3 years than some cheap ass broke person. In fact, lets take 1 hour of Apple's net profits compared to a cheap ass broke person entire life's earnings and Apple will still be ahead.

Sure Apple will be ahead after 3 years, but it's at the expense of the people that upgrade every year.

Apple just loves the people that stay on the upgrade treadmill. That's how they can afford to pay a retired guy $2mil a month!