Amazon pulls anti-iPad mini ad with incorrect claim about stereo speakers

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 117
    Yeah, I mentioned that thing about "dual stereo speakers" to my friend. My question is whether Apple has ever stated that the iPad mini contains 2 speakers or if someone's opened one up to see. Just cause there are 2 sets of holes at the bottom doesn't necessarily mean there are 2 speakers down there.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post





    Why do American (& Korean) companies always try to produce cheap s**ty products? 


    Because some cheap ass people only care about price, and certain companies cater to those kind of consumers.


     


    The ironic thing is that if somebody was really broke, the smart move would be to buy the slightly more expensive Apple product.


     


    Here are two scenarios for a cheap ass broke person.


     


    (1) Cheap ass broke person buys a $200, low quality Android tablet. They will have to live with a sub-par, frustrating experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their tablet will be worth almost nothing if and when they try to sell it.


     


    (2) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. They will have to live with a wonderful, first class experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their superior Apple product will still command a respectable price on the used market, as high quality Apple products are always in high demand. Cheap ass broke person #2 will end up with more money in their pocket than cheap ass broke person #1 who thought that they were being smart and saving a couple of dollars by buying the inferior, cheaper product.

  • Reply 43 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by balikian View Post



    Yeah, I mentioned that thing about "dual stereo speakers" to my friend. My question is whether Apple has ever stated that the iPad mini contains 2 speakers or if someone's opened one up to see. Just cause there are 2 sets of holes at the bottom doesn't necessarily mean there are 2 speakers down there.


    It's stereo, there are two. Apple has confirmed that.

  • Reply 44 of 117
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153931/amazon-pulls-anti-ipad-mini-ad-with-incorrect-claim-about-stereo-speakers#post_2223911"]
    We don't need to wait for any teardown, Apple has already confirmed that it is stereo.

    Oh? Where? I see one comment from one reviewer above, who may have concluded there were two speakers as there are two grilles. Multiple reviewers made the same mistake when the iPhone 5 was released, until the tear down revealed it was just one speaker inside.

    Also, from Apple's website:

    Lightning connector
    3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack
    Built-in speaker
    Microphone
    Nano-SIM card tray

    Speaker. Singular. If they have said otherwise, it's neither on their website nor linked to the above article, so where are you getting your information?

    We'll find out by this weekend, though. As the British say; "truth will out."
  • Reply 45 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post



    We'll find out by this weekend, though. As the British say; "truth will out."


     


    No need to wait until the weekend. We can find out right now. image


     


    Phil Schiller confirmed it in an email.


     


    I notice that the link is censored, but it's a site that has a numerical nine and a five in it's title.image


     


    http://************/2012/10/31/phil-schiller-clarifies-ipad-mini-has-stereo-speakers-following-amazons-kindle-comparison/

  • Reply 46 of 117

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Because some cheap ass people only care about price, and certain companies cater to those kind of consumers.


     


    The ironic thing is that if somebody was really broke, the smart move would be to buy the slightly more expensive Apple product.


     


    Here are two scenarios for a cheap ass broke person.


     


    (1) Cheap ass broke person buys a $200, low quality Android tablet. They will have to live with a sub-par, frustrating experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their tablet will be worth almost nothing if and when they try to sell it.


     


    (2) Cheap ass broke person buys a $329, extremely high quality, superior Apple iPad Mini. They will have to live with a wonderful, first class experience over the lifetime of their tablet and after a year or two, their superior Apple product will still command a respectable price on the used market, as high quality Apple products are always in high demand. Cheap ass broke person #2 will end up with more money in their pocket than cheap ass broke person #1 who thought that they were being smart and saving a couple of dollars by buying the inferior, cheaper product.





    Cheap ass person 3 buys no tablet, but Apple Stock instead, and watches the price go up.

  • Reply 47 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post




    Cheap ass person 3 buys no tablet, but Apple Stock instead, and watches the price go up.



     


    That's true, but I kind of doubt that the kind of person who is going to whine about a $329 price for a tablet is the kind of person who can afford to buy a single share of AAPL. At the moment, one share costs $ 595.32, which is what AAPL closed at today.image


  • Reply 48 of 117
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post


    Not 3.  4.


     


    Bezos is working on the first Quadraphonic Kindle.  With 3D screen.  See if you can beat that, Apple!



     


    That's not what I heard, which was that the next Kindle was going with 5.1 surround including a BiggDogg™ 12" SupaWoofa™


  • Reply 49 of 117
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


     


    ....


     



     


    So goes the old saying...


     


    "I can't afford to buy cheap shoes"


  • Reply 50 of 117
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member


    Amazon - "We have 2 speakers which makes our thing better than the Apple iPad mini, because they have 1"


    Apple  - "Actually we have 2 speakers"


    Amazon - "Oh right, why don't you advertise this fact?"


    Apple - "Because we have more important features to tell people about".


     


    And let's be honest. 1 or 2 speakers, it doesn't matter when they face the wrong direction.


    Here's hoping that Apple use those transducer speakers and manage to turn the screen into the speaker. 

  • Reply 51 of 117
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post


     


    So goes the old saying...


     


    "I can't afford to buy cheap shoes"




    There's a lot of truth behind that statement. image

  • Reply 52 of 117
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Where's comparisons of build quality, OS features, and tablet optimized app ecosystem on that chart? You know, the only stuff that really matters? Yeah, cause that wouldn't look too good.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by simtub View Post


    I noticed that one too! Amazon are basically trying to put down the iPad mini's screen size as it's not even 720p resolution.



     


    I think that's fair. It's really NOT HD resolution. I'm sure it looks just fine, but downscaling 1080 to fit the screen isn't the same as displaying pixel-for-pixel. I'd be annoyed if a manufacturer claimed a 1024x768 screen is "HD" and I'm sure people here would jump all over anyone who did.

  • Reply 54 of 117


    Originally Posted by v5v View Post

    I'd be annoyed if a manufacturer claimed a 1024x768 screen is "HD" and I'm sure people here would jump all over anyone who did.


     


    I don't really consider 720 to be "HD" anymore, anyway. image If 1080 is "full HD", then 2k must be "fuller HD", 4k must be "minsterfuller HD", and Super Hi-Vision must be "buckminsterfuller HD". If 720 is HD, so is 481.

  • Reply 55 of 117
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post




    Cheap ass person 3 buys no tablet, but Apple Stock instead, and watches the price go up.



     


    And another ass person doesn't realise Apple stock dropped over $100 the past 5 weeks and hasn't bottomed.


     


     


     


    No matter what media... movies, music, books, photos or web pages look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD than any iPad at any price.

  • Reply 56 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    v5v wrote: »
    I think that's fair. It's really NOT HD resolution. I'm sure it looks just fine, but downscaling 1080 to fit the screen isn't the same as displaying pixel-for-pixel. I'd be annoyed if a manufacturer claimed a 1024x768 screen is "HD" and I'm sure people here would jump all over anyone who did.

    Yeah, it's not simple. I don't call it a lie, just chucking out any subtleties and fine distinctions, which is par for the course in advertising.

    The Amazon ad wording seemed to imply it couldn't play HD files. It can't display all of the detail, but it's still considerably better detail than 480p, in large part due to oversampling. But if I was trying to make the most of my gigabytes, then I might load in the SD version of the file and call it good.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Amazon discovered?

    Don't you mean they got a notice from Apple's lawyers that they had 24 hours to revise or remove the ad or be sued underestimate false advertising laws. Same as what happened with Microsoft when they continued to air an ad that showed an invalid price for a MacBook a month after the price change took effect
  • Reply 58 of 117
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I don't really consider 720 to be "HD" anymore, anyway. 

    It is still a valid claim according to the standard.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos vows to put 3 speakers into the next Amazon Kindle Fire. Three. Because that's how the unimaginative tech industry "competes."



     


    Not only a third speaker, but he promises to keep giving the Kindle even more .... more bezel! Further cementing it's place as the tablet with much more bezel for much less. "How'd you like 'dem apples, Apple?" Bezos said defiantly. Amazon leading the industry in bezel innovation.

  • Reply 60 of 117
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post


     


    And let's be honest. 1 or 2 speakers, it doesn't matter when they face the wrong direction.


     



     


    Oh yes it does matter. The sound quality of the Kindle Fire HD is far superior to any ipad.

Sign In or Register to comment.