Apple exec Eddy Cue 'racing' to improve iOS Maps

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

I have been using the new maps app since I got my iphone 5 (my first iphone). I haven't had any issues with it. We use it for turn by turn directions all the time.

I think this whole thing is way overblown.

That's because you're in the U.S. Please read up on the problems in other countries, then tell us whether it's overblown or not.

• Reply 122 of 140
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Clearly, he's cleared house anytime there's one of these blow ups. Papermaster. Mobile me guy, etc. If you lead teams at Apple and you feck-up, you get the boot.

Papermaster was not a Steve hire. Jobs was not going to get rid of anybody who he brought over from Next. He hired all those people personally, and they were extremely loyal to him. 

Moreover, Jobs would have spun the Map controversy much better, and, like Forstall is alleged to have refused to do, he would not have apologized. 

• Reply 123 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakovlev View Post

That's because you're in the U.S. Please read up on the problems in other countries, then tell us whether it's overblown or not.

Yes, but it is the US press dissing the application. Moreover, it is not out of whack in every Country. For instance, it works about as well as Google in Canada and many other North America countries. 

• Reply 124 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macncheez View Post

And maybe he didn't think to license the Swiss clock either, costing the company $26M...? THAT could have been the last straw...

Perhaps, he forgot to refill the toilet paper as well. Yea, that is it.  

• Reply 125 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I think Apple may feel this way too, even if they  won't admit it.  I'll be very interested to see what changes Ive makes to iOS. However, I have to say, no matter if you're using Android, iOS or Windows, any OS will eventually get boring.  One thing I like about Apple is that they look before they leap - usually.  Maps broke that trend, it appears.  Or maybe Siri did, I don't know.

Bottom line, for me I am more curious about the changes coming up in the mobile payments arena.  I expect (hope) that Apple is up to something big in iOS 7

Apple has released buggy software before. OSX was unusable for most people when it was first released. Then there is the whole Apple promising to give people free internet services through iTools and then taking them away after people came to rely on them and instead introducing less capable MobileMe. Then of course there is Final Cut Pro X. 

Siri was fine because Apple made it clear from the start: this is a beta. 

To Apple's credit though, iOS might be boring, but my original 3Gs is running iOS 6. So, every year IOS users have something to look forward to even if usually the improvements aren't mind blowing. Furthermore, subtle changes means the OS is very solid. Think of the many Android and Windows phone users who never get an upgrade. 

• Reply 126 of 140
    iTunes and iCloud are two of the worst products developed by Apple. Is this man really the one that can save Maps?
  • Reply 127 of 140

Originally Posted by ptram View Post

iTunes and iCloud are two of the worst products developed by Apple. Is this man really the one that can save Maps?

Well, since that's not true in the slightest, he probably is.

• Reply 128 of 140
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    tbell wrote: »

Yes, but it is the US press dissing the application. Moreover, it is not out of whack in every Country. For instance, it works about as well as Google in Canada and many other North America countries. 

It works better than Google in China too, but Apple is not about incrementally better or worse. I feel they should try to have its own take of map service integration. Give it some twist while patching the data to meet our daily routing needs.

ITunes and iClouds are usable, but they should refine and simplify the services further. There are too many names and knobs for a casual user. Need to go back to the original simplicity.
  • Reply 129 of 140
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, since that's not true in the slightest, he probably is.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I don't disagree, but what ARE the two worst products developed by Apple (no fair going back to 1978, stick to the Second Coming of Steve)?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 130 of 140
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple has released buggy software before. OSX was unusable for most people when it was first released. Then there is the whole Apple promising to give people free internet services through iTools and then taking them away after people came to rely on them and instead introducing less capable MobileMe. Then of course there is Final Cut Pro X. 

Siri was fine because Apple made it clear from the start: this is a beta. 

To Apple's credit though, iOS might be boring, but my original 3Gs is running iOS 6. So, every year IOS users have something to look forward to even if usually the improvements aren't mind blowing. Furthermore, subtle changes means the OS is very solid. Think of the many Android and Windows phone users who never get an upgrade. 

Siri was NOT fine. It was THE major feature of the iPhone 4S, and would have been the killer app, if it actually worked properly (to see just how killer, try iTranslate ($0.99 in the app store, obviously uses Siri). Until it goes completely berserk, that is).

• Reply 131 of 140
    igriv wrote: »
    I don't disagree, but what ARE the two worst products developed by Apple (no fair going back to 1978, stick to the Second Coming of Steve)?

MobileMe and Ping.

Next 2 ? iCloud sync (not the entire iCloud) and AppleTV hobby. AirPlay is awesome though. IMHO of course.
  • Reply 132 of 140

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Hardware or software? 

Software: Ping and… gah, let me think.

Hardware: Puck mouse and liquid-cooled PowerMac G5. The former was almost universally hated (I don't remember hating it) and the latter had a leak rate close to the failure rate of the Apple III.

• Reply 133 of 140
    Oh yes, the puck mouse takes the crown.
  • Reply 134 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That's what I meant about Ive.

Who is more important to Apple... Cook or Ive?

So if Ive strongly disagrees with Cook on a project what will happen? Cook aint Jobs. Cook's track record is in running the company. He wasn't the vision guy.

Would you argue with your boss frequently?  All these Apple executives have a lot of places to go if they don't like to stay around.  I think that Ive knows his place in the organization.  Cook is no fool either.  I would not doubt his ability to utilize the people working for him. 

• Reply 135 of 140
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Apple is not going to give them the contract unless they can do the job.

If any batch of the chips is defective imagine the ramifications on the reputation of the product and the company. They can't afford the price. Maps, MobileMe had taught them the lessons that a poor product is bad but a defective product which need to be recall is much much worst.

So before the extensive usage of chips from TSMC, they will de doing due diligent like they had never done before and in the meanwhile sammy still have the contract of manufacturing their chip.
  • Reply 136 of 140
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

All these issues about management changes and "racing" to improve Maps, were caused by Apple, and Apple only. If they had hold Maps until it was ready to beat Google, none of these problems would happen. But no, they had to publicly prove how stupid they're. Well, now, pay for it. This "racing" won't help the final quality of Maps either. And all of this is just because of the current Microsoft-thinking style of nowadays Apple ("we know what you need better than you do, and even when you dislike what we give you, you're wrong and we're right"). Well, as I said, it's time for paying for this stupid scenario.

• Reply 137 of 140

It is difficult to watch the dialog of this thread as only a few of it's contributors are really on the right track.  First of all, Apple Maps is an incredible first effort.  The design has a monster upside that will develop very quickly.  Google and Microsoft used a similar approach to get out of the gate and both, along with their own data collection efforts, are still using multiple sources to create a patchwork map.  Apple was leveraged by Google to make a business decision to put Maps out with iOS 6.  Knowing the effort it took for them to build their own map data base, Google thought Apple would concede and continue to use its product rather than get into that business.  Steve Jobs felt his organization was being cornered.  His distaste for Google and knowledge that his time on earth was  limited, decided it was a challenge Apple needed to take on.

Large scale geospatial mapping is a difficult task by itself and depending on the resolution you are trying to achieve, it can get even more complex,  It's not the collection side that is causing the most pain.  It is the reduction piece, so that the data can be consumed, that gets the data processing players so far behind.  These are massive efforts that have a huge manual component to them.  Apple is trying to automate that part to the best of it's ability and they have the talent and resources to overcome the challenge better than anybody.  In a very short time, their product will surpass the frontrunners and become the bar by which others will be measured.

So what's the point of all of this.  The dashboard in your car is the next big thing these companies will be fighting for.  It's coming faster than you think and the business potential is awesome.  Why would Google be building autonomous vehicles.  They have no car manufacturing capability.  Your surface transportation will be sponsored by Starbucks.  Who will dominate this field?  Now do you understand why Apple Maps is important.  Our cars will be the focus of the next "and one more thing" coming form our favorite fruit company.

• Reply 138 of 140
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [B]Geospatial[/B], thanks for an interesting take on the present and future of the Maps effort.

I was thinking they had to cut Google out, like NOW, or they wouldn't have done so, but I had not thought of the dashboard imperative. As in turn-by-turn navigation. I wonder which was more important, stiffing Google or getting ready for auto mobility?
  • Reply 139 of 140
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've been meaning to say something about this. Does it make more sense that he would have said "No, I'm not signing that crap! It's not true!" and that going over poorly or "No, I'm not signing that crap; we'll just fix what's wrong!" and that going over poorly?

I wonder if it was more like this:

Cook: Maps will be part of the next iOS release.

Forstall: It's not ready yet!

Cook: MAKE it ready. It's happening.

(Public issue with Maps faults happens)

Cook: Scott, sign this apology for the problems.

Forstall: You're kidding, right? I *TOLD* you it wasn't ready, now you wanna pin the problems on me? No way.

Cook: You're fired.

• Reply 140 of 140

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I wonder if it was more like this:

Cook: Maps will be part of the next iOS release.

Forstall: It's not ready yet!

Cook: MAKE it ready. It's happening.

(Public issue with Maps faults happens)

Cook: Scott, sign this apology for the problems.

Forstall: You're kidding, right? I *TOLD* you it wasn't ready, now you wanna pin the problems on me? No way.

Cook: You're fired.

I doubt it. I buy that the failing was on the part of Forstall, not Cook. The latter wouldn't be where he is if that's the kind of ship he ran.