Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad, second-gen iPad mini to debut in March

Comments

• Reply 21 of 260
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Could be a White lie.

Or a multi-colored one. I see this just as marketing. A way of keeping the iPad in the news, but with very little significant change. Perhaps multi colour. We have seen it before, but to me its a 'shrug'. Faster processor is always good but it really isn't that significant for most people. I use an original iPad and it still works a treat for the important stuff. I also use an iPad mini and I have a hard time faulting it. Even the resolution is fine. I really do not believe the average Joe public is complaining about the screen and I can't see Apple updating the res until next year at the earliest. 

So call it what you will but I imagine it will be nothing more than an annual refresh in addition to an annual upgrade.

• Reply 21 of 260

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not sure of these rumours at all.

Does it really make sense to bring out a new version of a product when the previous version still has six months left on the warranty? Customers with a defective product that has to be replaced will end up with the next generation of the product for free.

Seems weird to me.

Actually this does make sense. This will allow Apple to stay ahead of any competition with a continually fresh lineup. What happened to the iPhone was that Apple did not stay far enough ahead of the competition and other players were able to capitalize on this. I think Apple with the iPad just like the iPod wants to snuff everyone out to an 80% to 20% market share, if not greater. 

• Reply 23 of 260
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Sometimes I wonder if these analysts even think.

The only reason Apple updated the iPad twice last year is because they wanted everything to be on the Lightning connector.

There is no reason to update it again so soon when they have not even released it globally to all the different countries.

There really needs to be a system in place to penalize analysts for talking out of their rear ends.

Having said that, I am sure there will be an update to the iPad and iPad Mini this year (No Sh*t Sherlock) and the iPad Mini update will have a retina display (Another NSS moment).
  • Reply 24 of 260
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    A 4.904" device with the Ive touch sounds fine to me.

Seems too big to me but if the Galaxy Note seems quite popular in many cultures.

PS: didn't run the numbers for the 3:2 960x640 version but it would be a little smaller. I assume Apple will be deprecating the older aspect ratio.
  • Reply 25 of 260

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Actually this does make sense. This will allow Apple to stay ahead of any competition with a continually fresh lineup. What happened to the iPhone was that Apple did not stay far enough ahead of the competition and other players were able to capitalize on this. I think Apple with the iPad just like the iPod wants to snuff everyone out to an 80% to 20% market share, if not greater. 

... but wouldn't you agree that it would have to be a significant upgrade to make any sense what so ever.

Hell... the upgrade from the 3 to the 4 didn't make much sense... who could tell the difference. They might as well have not done it and then a significant upgrade at this time would make a lot of sense.

• Reply 26 of 260
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm not sure of these rumours at all.

Does it really make sense to bring out a new version of a product when the previous version still has six months left on the warranty? Customers with a defective product that has to be replaced will end up with the next generation of the product for free.

Seems weird to me.

Not how it works. Apples service stock is separate. A warranty swap is like for like even if you are paying for an out of warranty swap. Because they keep making units for service. Only on very rare occassions do they swap up. But it has to be very particular times and is generally due to a supply issue not the reason for the swap, customer nagging etc. .
  • Reply 27 of 260
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    clemynx wrote: »
    They won't boost screen res on the Mini just yet, buyers of the first one would be very unhappy about it. I think they'll wait until november.

They don't give a dogs poo about the buyers being unhappy. They want do it just yet because its unlikely they have the tech to make such an upgrade feasible. They would need one kind of shift in battery hardware, way more efficient software or maybe both.
  • Reply 28 of 260

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Seems too big to me but if the Galaxy Note seems quite popular in many cultures.

PS: didn't run the numbers for the 3:2 960x640 version but it would be a little smaller. I assume Apple will be deprecating the older aspect ratio.

Actually, I'd much rather see an iPhone in the 4.5" range with a 3:2 aspect ratio than anything in the 4.9" range.

.... anyway... back to this iPad upgrade silliness.

• Reply 29 of 260

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They don't give a dogs poo about the buyers being unhappy. They want do it just yet because its unlikely they have the tech to make such an upgrade feasible. They would need one kind of shift in battery hardware, way more efficient software or maybe both.

What about IGZO?  Isn't it rumored to be in the next iDevices and uses only a fraction of the power?  No need to have a radical new battery size if the components are using less power.  I'm just spitballing.

• Reply 30 of 260
    Actually, I'd much rather see an iPhone in the 4.5" range with a 3:2 aspect ratio than anything in the 4.9" range.

I just ran the numbers for using the iPad (4)'s display PPI but with the resolution of the 3.5" iPhone 4S. The size comes out to 4.3717" inches. I'd say that's right in line with what you'd want. As most of us assumed years ago and as we saw with the Samsung trial Apple does a lot of prototypes. I'm sure they have all sorts of sizes and shapes to find the right fit. Still, I would expect Apple to want to move the 3:2 out of the system as soon as possible (a couple years) so that it's easier for them, developers, and ultimately makes a better app experience for customers.
  • Reply 31 of 260
    I don't like this kind of 6-month cycles at all. Makes customers delay purchases and hurt resale values, which in turns cheapen the brand. Hope it's not happening. 

Resell value is the last thing Apple is worrying about.

As for the six month cycle, this is a rumor. One that could prove false. In fact I think it will. I think Apple is shifting all iOS devices to release other or shortly after the new iOS launches and before holiday sales start (because they are huge holiday gift items). It makes more sense on several fronts. They get the increased sales, they can preview iOS at WWDC as it should be and give folks the summer to prep their stuff and so on. They were bitched at royally over that 16 month wait when they shifted the phone so they went for the short not the long shift this time.
  • Reply 32 of 260
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't see that they need to be slaves to the calendar. If they can release a new product with significant enhancements, they should do so when they are ready to do it.

Completely agree. Apple has been moving away from fixed release cycles for a while now, starting when they decided to pull out of MacWorld Expo's. I think they may try to target specific releases just before the holiday or school seasons, but otherwise, they'll release products when they can - as soon as they can.

• Reply 33 of 260
    allenbf wrote: »
    What about IGZO?  Isn't it rumored to be in the next iDevices and uses only a fraction of the power?  No need to have a radical new battery size if the components are using less power.  I'm just spitballing.

I don't think IGZO is enough. You also need to process all those pixels that get pushed to the display. This is where the next generation GPUs would have to play a role. Again I ask, will they be ready for the Spring? Will be IGZO be ready for the spring?
  • Reply 34 of 260
    paxman wrote: »
    Or a multi-colored one. I see this just as marketing. A way of keeping the iPad in the news, .

More like White keeping himself in the news. It's classic analyst BS games. They latch onto the thing going around and have their made up sources etc. pump up the stock and so on. Then when it doesn't happen they makeup sources that speak of issues and delays and the stock is shorted and someone still makes money.
  • Reply 35 of 260
    drblank wrote: »
    Apple is going to announce the products they are going to announce whenever they are going to announce them.

So these rumor sites are popular for no reason¿
    paxman wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Could be a White lie.
    Or a multi-colored one.

I was referring to Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets, hence the capital. But yes, I agree with your post.
  • Reply 36 of 260

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Customers with a defective product that has to be replaced will end up with the next generation of the product for free.

Since that doesn't happen now, ever, for any of their products, why would you assume it would happen in the future?

Originally Posted by shard View Post

The only reason Apple updated the iPad twice last year is because they wanted everything to be on the Lightning connector.

Really?

• Reply 37 of 260
    Actually this does make sense. This will allow Apple to stay ahead of any competition with a continually fresh lineup. What happened to the iPhone was that Apple did not stay far enough ahead of the competition and other players were able to capitalize on this.

Not really. Apple lost phone market share because the other players sell cheap. The average buyer doesn't understand the diff between iOS and Android. What they understand is two phones that can text, email, web etc but one is $199 plus tax and the other is you pay the tax. That $200 savings is the killer. Not 'freshness'
  • Reply 38 of 260

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think IGZO is enough. You also need to process all those pixels that get pushed to the display. This is where the next generation GPUs would have to play a role. Again I ask, will they be ready for the Spring? Will be IGZO be ready for the spring?

Touche'

• Reply 39 of 260
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

The Retina Mini will be price $100 higher than the current Mini so there won't be any buyer's remorse.

The iPad 4 was more of a iPad 3S. The next iPad will probably have the same specs as the last just with a new case design. Later this year it'll probably the speed bump once the new chips (A7X) are ready.

• Reply 40 of 260
    I reckon the next update will be to both ipad and ipad mini but not until summer at earliest.