Rumor: Alleged cheaper iPhone may feature U.S.-made chassis with "see-through" design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

When has DT ever even been sometimes reliable?

The iPad mini, long before anyone else, and precise 7.85" display dimensions too. Also the iPad 4 with exact details of changes that were correct. Both at the beginning of last year.

• Reply 22 of 87

I think this rumor has some validity to it. When the iPad Mini was a rumor, people thought the same thing because of what Steve Jobs said. Now the same is happening with this rumor, people are getting hung up on what Schiller said. These guys used their words carefully.

Phil didn't say no, he didn't deny the rumors, he stated that Apple doesn't make cheap products. Cheap in this definition is not in price. The lowest priced Apple product at the moment is the iPod Shuffle, at $49. The iPod Touch is $199, and it closely resembels the iPhone in terms of usability, only difference is it doesn't have a cell radio.

The point is there is a market for a LOW COST phone, and if Apple can deliver a phone that can access the web, access facebook and twitter, and integrates with the Apple ecosystem, then the phone will be a winner. It's a stepping stone for an iPhone.

I remember when I got an iPod Touch because I couldn't afford an iPhone. I think some people in third world countries might feel the same, where maybe they can't afford an iPhone yet, but they can get the highest quality "budget" phone, the iPhone mini (or nano)

• Reply 23 of 87
    For some strange reason you make a good point, [B]Mr. Rodiguez[/B]

edit: there are iPhone nano mockups [I]everywhere[/I]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19099/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19100/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 24 of 87
    According to these sources, the casing will use plastic instead of the current aluminum-and-glass theme seen on the iPhone 5.

The publication goes further, claiming that separate rumors point to a new design in which the internal metal sub-structure is visible through the plastic enclosure, alluding to a type of "see-through" aesthetic.

Does DT mean this?

• Reply 25 of 87
    I'll go to the end of absurd and call it, ``TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM.'' They'll call it their Greenpeace Model and it'll allow one to fold spacetime in the 5th dimension.
  • Reply 26 of 87

Quote:

Introducing the iPhone Mini:

Good idea! Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but it makes sense to me. An iphone with colored plastic would be new, 'cool', and cheaper to make, while still being a quality product (iphone5 screen with iphone4 internals). Also, it would preserve (or even enhance) the elegance and premium feel of the iphone5s.

• Reply 27 of 87
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

What got me was this line:

When has DT ever even been sometimes reliable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

The iPad mini, long before anyone else, and precise 7.85" display dimensions too. Also the iPad 4 with exact details of changes that were correct. Both at the beginning of last year.

And how many times was DT wrong?

• Reply 28 of 87
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'll go to the end of absurd and call it, ``TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM.'' They'll call it their Greenpeace Model and it'll allow one to fold spacetime in the 5th dimension.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/05/09/did-you-know-that-transparent-aluminum-exists/

• Reply 29 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

Did I dream that phill Schiller came out and said apple wouldn't make a cheap iphone. They didnt make a cheap ipad. The mini is still expensive. Why is this still a story??

Because AppleInsider can't let a DigiTimes rumor go unrepeated.

• Reply 30 of 87

Already knew a variant existed, but alas its lattice structure doesn't compare to the science fiction of Star Trek IV. Imagine the press statement talking about the ability to withstand the volumetric force per cubic centimeter akin to that in ST IV by demoing its ability on a scaled down geometry with two sumos standing on an apparatus that applies their combined line of force on the phone, without any compression issues and the phone still dialing.

Meanwhile, the WSJ complains that the screen size is too small and shortages of the material makes it a long waiting period for potential customers.

• Reply 31 of 87
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The idea of a see-through plastic back is so weird that it has the ring of plausibility about it. Did they say colors this time too?

It would allow the use of plastic for the back without saying "cheap."

Too bad DigiTimes spilled the beans on this one. They'll be working overtime at Samsung's plastic case division.

This is why Apple would source the plastic from a trusted U.S. supplier: better secrecy.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flaneur wrote: »
    It would allow the use of plastic for the back without saying "cheap."

I agree, though am afraid trolls will call it "Tss sheep!"
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Yes, there will be mockery.

"Eye candy for iSheep."

"Apple has just one word for you: Plastics."

and

"Apple jumps the shark."
  • Reply 34 of 87
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Yes, there will be mockery.

"Eye candy for iSheep."

"Apple has just one word for you: Plastics."

and

"Apple jumps the shark."

Good ones! Keep 'em coming! Also, post them in the Rules of the Troll thread. Too funny.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is being done to death enough that I almost believe it.

I don't like it at all, they certainly don't need to waste millions on crap when they can just cut the price of the actually good devices they already make, but whatever. 

TS, I don't think it's that easy. One thing they would not want to do is to risk lowering their margins. If you're talking about a phone for India, for example .... how could you release an existing model cheap enough to compete and not have it cannibalize other iPhone models. That would be walking a very tight line ... not sure it would be worth it. just my 2¢ worth.

• Reply 36 of 87

BAHAHAHAHA, now that's the funniest thing i've seen in quite a while... why don't these ANALysts get that Apple doesn't do CHEAP?  If you can't afford an iPhone get a Droid, it's that simple. I mean, you can get a 4 for 99 cents.. a 4s for $99... how much cheaper do they need them to be?  I know your paying for it in the plan but really.  

• Reply 37 of 87
    newbee wrote: »
    TS, I don't think it's that easy. One thing they would not want to do is to risk lowering their margins. If you're talking about a phone for India, for example .... how could you release an existing model cheap enough to compete and not have it cannibalize other iPhone models. That would be walking a very tight line ... not sure it would be worth it. just my 2¢ worth.

Also, I can't see them issuing a glass-backed phone for the hard-working masses. Too uptown, too fragile.

Polycarbonate is bullet-proof if it's thick enough.
  • Reply 38 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post

BAHAHAHAHA, now that's the funniest thing i've seen in quite a while... why don't these ANALysts get that Apple doesn't do CHEAP?  If you can't afford an iPhone get a Droid, it's that simple. I mean, you can get a 4 for 99 cents.. a 4s for $99... how much cheaper do they need them to be?  I know your paying for it in the plan but really.  

Do you have any sort of cognitive problem?

Do you see a 450 € 2 year old phone (4) where most people earn 500 to 1000€ per month as "cheap"?

Anyway, I don't like this idea. Apple's "problem" is related with screen size (they would sell a lot of 5 inch phones) and stupid people that think that the iphone is less powerful than most other phones because it is dual core. Basically that's it.

• Reply 39 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    For this to make sense, at least to me, the introduction of this cheaper iPhone should happen this summer, alongside the introduction of the iPhone 5S. And furthermore, the introduction will introduce a new iPhone strategy for Apple whereby as they bring out their new high end model each year they drop all older models of the iPhone completely and have the cheaper iPhone available alongside it.

So at any one time you've got the 1 latest and greatest in a few storage sizes, and one latest and cheapest in one small size. This would simplify the product lineup for people, in my mind. Do you want the 5S or the cheaper model? If you want the cheaper model, here you go, it's an 8GB phone made using clear plastic so you don't even need to choose a colour. If you want the 5S you can choose from black and white and 16-64 GB. Do you want to spend as little money on an iPhone as possible and yet still get a new iPhone? Or do you want the latest and greatest?
  • Reply 40 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The only thing worse than a boy who cries "wolf!" is a boy who cries "wolf!" sometimes.

Did you make that up? It's genius!