Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

Comments

• Reply 61 of 214
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Makes far more sense than "Math", even as a code name it's a bad one.
    It could be a calculated response...
  • Reply 62 of 214
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Apple is loosing Asian market share big time because people here really want larger screens. This rumor adds up.
  • Reply 63 of 214
    I am in Asia right now (and yes Shenzhen where they are making all the iPhone). I talked to over 100 iPhone case vendors and nobody dare to bet a new iPhone (form factor and they dont want apple to) is going come out. These people probably supply 30% of the world accessories. So my conclusion is - Steve is going to turn in his grave :S
  • Reply 64 of 214
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

This was inevitable.

Apple, in order to survive and fight off competition, has to introduce a lower priced product (eating into their margins).

I guess Apple is learning something from the industry lead player, namely Samsung.

Samsung is the true visionary as they've forecasted the market to shift this way long before Apple staunchedly refused to budge from its high horse pedestal .

• Reply 65 of 214
    To all those people who only read hearsay without facts

1. Apple is gaining shares in Asia market?they are not taking it over but 1% here and there.
    2. Apple doesn't need everyone to buy Iphone (want and need is two different thing)
    3. No matter what you do - there is no way to get it all and make everyone happy. But my mother is very happy to receive a iPhone 4. Much better than that knock off android crap she got from contract.
    4. People who say they want cheap iPhone can't even afford a cheap phone. So no matter how cheap, that is not going to happen.
    5. Many people in Asia have more than 1 phone. I have 3 mobiles ... They have a galaxy doesn't mean they don't have iPhone. Lots of galaxy every where in Hong Kong but plenty more people use iPhone at the same time. And I saw 4/6 split between iPhone & others in Shenzhen / shanghai / Beijing (in the tube)

I think that's about it.

Oh people here do queue up to Chanel and drop $100,000 for couple handbags. Photo on my website - this is a daily thing.
  • Reply 66 of 214
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    galbi wrote: »
    This was inevitable.

Apple, in order to survive and fight off competition, has to introduce a lower priced product (eating into their margins).

I guess Apple is learning something from the industry lead player, namely Samsung.

Samsung is the true visionary as they've forecasted the market to shift this way long before Apple staunchedly refused to budge from its high horse pedestal .

From your position down there on the ground, in the dirt, you get to say one of two things, "high horse" OR "pedestal."

You can't say both, because then the metaphor makes no sense. Understand?

I thought not.
  • Reply 67 of 214
    galbi wrote: »
    This was inevitable.

I was reading a "news" today about iPhone 5 price drop by 20% last month (don't rush out yet) they are talking about the unofficial resellers in china - these people were selling a 16GB model for $7000 to start with (a 28% markup from the official price $5588) and people do have a very short memory. iPhone 5 is 11% more than 4S at launch ($4999) apple probably was the only vendor raise their price and sell more.

And people who don't run apple, really their business is call "none of your business"
  • Reply 68 of 214
    This is not a rumor, these are the facts I have read from the liver of a Bull I have sacrificed this morning:

1. iPhone Organic will be released this year, with a cover made out of Paper without any battery, power source will be the energy released by news like this

2. iPhone Vapor Ware

3. iPhone Android Metro Operating System. Apple will make it's iOS free of charge and free for all and portable to any mobile device possible (this includes my beloved Palm III).

If you want to have more hot and TRUE facts feel free to contact me!
  • Reply 69 of 214

Looks like a bad translation for sure.

I bet they meant something like iPhone+

Or maybe the internal codename really is Math.

Who knows?

• Reply 70 of 214
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    gazoobee wrote: »
    That simply *has* to be a typo or a bad translation.

If you put the source through Google and Bing translate, some of the sentences read:

"IPhone large counterattack of the Jedi, who pointed out that, in the "Californian" model iPhone, led by new machines (name tentative iPhone iPhone Math and 5s), will be officially launched in June, new everything furniture, one of the more than 4.8-inch screen, the iPhone's first large size smart phone, Apple key to reproduce the glory."

"Apple phone must land big counter-offensive, the industry pointed out that, led by "Californian" models iPhone new machine (tentative name the iPhone 5s and the iPhone the Math) leader, will be in June, the official launch of the new aircraft MasterCard are all, including a screen more than 4.8 " iPhone's first large-size smartphone has become the key to Apple's reproduction glorious."

I think they are launching a giant iPhone Mastercard, which can be used as an aircraft (and payment system of course) to defend against the Jedi. But these are unverified sources so take it with a pinch of salt.
    "Moreover, the report said Apple will launch iTV before the end of 2013, and the company is set to unveil seven to eight new products in the year."

Yeah, that stock price really needs to go up.
  • Reply 71 of 214

iPad..................9.7"

iPad Mini...........7.9"

iPad Nano.........4.8"

• Reply 72 of 214
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Even if a phone with a 5 inches screen is ridiculous, I think Apple should do it. People nowadays are really buying into the Samsung horrible phablets and even if it's a bad idea, Apple can't let them win shares thanks to that segment. That would reinforce the idea that Apple is present on whatever size in the smartphone market and that Samsung doesn't have any advantage as I often hear. It's not that Apple has to be competing on every phone that SM does, but people need to stop thinking that Apple does 'small' phones. Again, I think that 'big' phones are lame.

edit : forget it, stupid idea

• Reply 73 of 214
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    [quote](Just using an Android user's thought process)[/quote]

Nope, that's a straw man fallacy. You are projecting someone else's position and attacking your projection in an attempt to subvert a potential debate that hasn't even started yet.

Back to the subject, I'd buy a 4.8" iPhone, especially if it had a lower DPI than the current iPhones, as I find the current iPhones to be lacking in usability (the screen is too small for more than 2 fingers, and text sometimes is too small as well). The current iPhones work well for simple apps, but that screen is simply too small for anything interesting; even browsing is somewhat crippled by the iPhone's small screen.
  • Reply 74 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Letters with meaning.

iPhone X (the best iPhone, 5inch screen, expensive as sh*t, outsells all phablets combined)

iPhone (similar to today's iphone, with 4.2 screen, same price)

iPhone air ( 3.5 or 4inch screen, similar to same-generation iPod touch, cheaper)

Terminate previous iPhone models production.

New Dev tools and stronger ecosystem.

more market share

Profit

World domination.

Ridiculous IMHO.

1- Multiple phones is so making things complicated for people. Bad. Don't do it.

2- I fApple has really reached the point that they can't say "no, we won't do that" and "people want a Mini so let's make a Mini"/"people want a phablet/cheapcrap so let's make sum' phablet/cheapcrap", well, they're going to sell lots of these for 5 years and go under, like HP did.

I sure hope that Apple does not have such ridiculous plans. I sure hope Apple is going to focus on making great products, even if people "know" they want something else (bigger, cheaper, whatever). I sure hope Apple is not going to use focus groups and cheapcrap and large phones and small tablets (well, for that last one, it's too late already)...

• Reply 75 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Even if a phone with a 5 inches screen is ridiculous, I think Apple should do it. People nowadays are really buying into the Samsung horrible phablets and even if it's a bad idea, Apple can't let them win shares thanks to that segment. That would reinforce the idea that Apple is present on whatever size in the smartphone market and that Samsung doesn't have any advantage as I often hear. It's not that Apple has to be competing on every phone that SM does, but people need to stop thinking that Apple does 'small' phones. Again, I think that 'big' phones are lame.

N'importe quoi.

Apple doesn't have to do anything because "they can't let XXX win market share thanks to that segment". It's called "investing into the future". If Apple starts doing things that is in your words "a horrible idea" in order to protect "market share", they already are Samsung. They just don't know it yet. That's why they're not, imho, going to do that.

So Apple does "small phones" and "big phones are lame". It means Apple doesn't do "lame". End of story, nothing to change here.

• Reply 76 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

This was inevitable.

/s

Fixed it for you.

• Reply 77 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If Apple wants more marketshare, they must produce NEW models. (that's the mentality of most costumers).

That's actually why you're mistaken. Apple makes high tech electronics. They're not in the costumer business.

• Reply 78 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I thought you were serious about that last part the first time I read it! image

Don't worry I'm sure Digitimes will pick up your post and have a rumor about it ready for tomorrow.

Ask TS to make a picture for it and there you go, you can email Digitimes :D

• Reply 79 of 214

Samsung reacted to the rumor by announcing the Samsung Axe, a Bada-based smartphone that can also be used as a weapon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/r2rcanada/5878783427/lightbox/

• Reply 80 of 214
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

N'importe quoi.

Apple doesn't have to do anything because "they can't let XXX win market share thanks to that segment". It's called "investing into the future". If Apple starts doing things that is in your words "a horrible idea" in order to protect "market share", they already are Samsung. They just don't know it yet. That's why they're not, imho, going to do that.

So Apple does "small phones" and "big phones are lame". It means Apple doesn't do "lame". End of story, nothing to change here.

Yeah, your are absolutely right, that was a foolish thought.