Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

Comments

• Reply 81 of 214
    Just two more cny cents before I off to have a massage :) to those who keep telling us about Apple business strategy ... If you really know your stuff. Get off the Internet and start your own company.

And just back to the subject , did iPad mini teach all the cheapo a lesson? The idea of cheap in apple terms is a very different concept.

P.S. people really have a short memory. Apple RAISED the iPhone 5S price and now they are selling more. For any sane business person - what does it mean?

You can keep writing bullock all day long. If its not making you a cent, why not use your energy to do something productive?
  • Reply 82 of 214
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    joelchu wrote: »
    Just two more cny cents before I off to have a massage :) to those who keep telling us about Apple business strategy ... If you really know your stuff. Get off the Internet and start your own company.

And just back to the subject , did iPad mini teach all the cheapo a lesson? The idea of cheap in apple terms is a very different concept.

P.S. people really have a short memory. Apple RAISED the iPhone 5S price and now they are selling more. For any sane business person - what does it mean?

You can keep writing bullock all day long. If its not making you a cent, why not use your energy to do something productive?

Your entire argument falls to the ground in the light of carrier subsides.
  • Reply 83 of 214
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Sorry, Apple, but you will never keep up to Samsung in the size game...

http://phandroid.com/2013/01/16/galaxy-note-3-exynos/

[SIZE=8px](... and I hope to hell you never try)[/SIZE]

That's getting to be insane. I wonder what the usage model is for carrying these things around. Are they going to be a cadre of youth that wear lab coats, not ironically, not because work in a lab, but because nothing else will fit their phones? I've seen large holsters and belt clips on tablet cases. That works, if you're blitheringly style unconscious. I'm not style conscious, but I like to think I know where to stop on that one.
  • Reply 84 of 214
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

They are releasing a calculator

And what a calculator it would be! :D

• Reply 85 of 214
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    obvioulsy they need a 2.2" screen for a micro device, a 3" screen for a nano device, the 3.5" screen for an "old school" device, a 4.2" screen just for wcmatt, a 4.5" screen for those who think 4.8 is too big, a 4.8" screen for their pocket calculator, a 5.2" screen for the iPhone Memo, a 5.8" screen for the iPhone Meeting minutes, a 6.25" iPad Nano, and there's a HUGE market for something between the 7.85 and 9.7" iPads. let's not forget about all the space between the 9.7" iPad and the 13" Air. apple NEEDS to release 45 new portable devices, or else they're DOOMED.
  • Reply 86 of 214
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    desarc wrote: »
    obvioulsy they need a 2.2" screen for a micro device, a 3" screen for a nano device, the 3.5" screen for an "old school" device, a 4.2" screen just for wcmatt, a 4.5" screen for those who think 4.8 is too big, a 4.8" screen for their pocket calculator, a 5.2" screen for the iPhone Memo, a 5.8" screen for the iPhone Meeting minutes, a 6.25" iPad Nano, and there's a HUGE market for something between the 7.85 and 9.7" iPads. let's not forget about all the space between the 9.7" iPad and the 13" Air. apple NEEDS to release 45 new portable devices, or else they're DOOMED.

You forgot that they need budget versions of each of those sizes. After all, they can't be successful unless every dirt-poor farmer in China owns 6 of their devices.
  • Reply 87 of 214
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    no no no no. 

That's the reason the new model sells 90%. The others, no matter how good, are 1 year old +.
    People (especially PAYG users but even contract users) do not like that. They cost almost the same as the new one but they are old.

If 10 people are looking for a cheaper model, the majority won't pay more for the new phone, they will buy something that's new and costs less, even if it's worse... if not, they wouldn't be looking for something cheaper first.

New models (even with inferior hardware.. same hardware.. but NEW) will sell much better.
    Apple is losing millions of potential costumers because of this.

If someone is going to spent 500 euros on a phone, will they buy the iphone 4 (that's what it costs)? Of course not. If someone pays 80$ per month and the iPhone 5 costs 199 but they are looking for something cheaper, will they settle for 1 or 2 or even 3 year old phones? of course not, at least for the majority.

If Apple wants more marketshare, they must produce NEW models. (that's the mentality of most costumers).

Damn, now we have to wear costumes to buy the next iPhone?

Apple doesn't play the market share game. That being said, if there is a segment that can make profit without releasing crap, Apple will be there.
  • Reply 88 of 214
    We call them Phones, but lets not forget their flexibility as computers:

I am 67 years old and had lots of computers since the first day the Pet came out.

With my iPad, I decided to redo all my Math up to Vectors and Calculus with a new pleasure because of the display flexibility. I never wanted to give up on my multitude HP calculators but now I do. We need real pocket portability for Math, Study, games and WEB; "the answer in your pocket". How many times in a day do I pick my iPod Touch to check on something I ear on the radio...

A (4" - 5" screen) would be a dream come through for me because the "Touch" with its great screen is still to small to be a practical calculator, a CAS or a Web browser. Even so, I use more the Touch than my 4th Gen. iPad. For desk study, the iPad for me is still a must. These machines will change the way we learn; at last, with pleasure. Its fun to play games but its also a pleasure to learn at our own pace...

Richard
  • Reply 89 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

That's actually why you're mistaken. Apple makes high tech electronics. They're not in the customer business.

And your not in the spelling business. Spell Check if you please.

• Reply 90 of 214
    The iPhone what, now ....?

Incidentally, to show you just hiw fucking S-T-U-P-I-D these so-called "pundits" are, Apple DOES NOT need to "make a cheaper iPhone" for China.

They can just take take the one they have now & sell it at a drastically lower price & make up the difference in
    low price/many phones vs. high price/less phones.

VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!!!!!
  • Reply 91 of 214
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    razorpit wrote: »
    Is iPhone "Math" the lost in translation version of iPhone "Max"? If so this will make those who want a monster-sized iPhone happy.

yes on both. But add also that it is to up the stock on the mentioned company.

We have seen the answer to the cheap iPhone in the whole payment plan thing plus Schiller's comments.

I suspect that the only truth in this rumor is the possible 12 megapixel camera in the new iPhone and perhaps iPads. Which would be great if the flash, light sensors etc are also awesome. It would be like having a low to mid grade DSLR in your mobile device (and in my opinion is as far on that front as they need to go unless they can figure out a way to give us the same full control as a DSLR and I doubt that)
  • Reply 92 of 214
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The iPhone Math will be followed by iPhone History, iPhone Psych, iPhone Chem ...

Probably a code name for a new, bigger phone and maybe misheard or mistranslated.

I want a bigger iPhone. I tried using mine last night to track stocks and do other stuff and I'm seeing that the iPhone is too small for me. Since I don't use it all that much for calls, I want something like a Dell Streak. A phone that is more of a small tablet.

And no, I won't buy and iPad mini. I want at least 32 MB of memory and LTE and Apple (are you listening Apple?) are GOUGING customers on memory and LTE. Gouging. It's a rip-off.

If a bigger iPhone does not come out this year, I will have to consider moving to Android.

Disclaimer: I've been using Apple products for over 30 years (started with Apple II).

• Reply 93 of 214
    nagromme wrote: »

As for the "latest rumor out of Asia"... give me a break. People all of the world make stuff up. Why do people in Asia get all the attention for it?

Asia generally means Foxconn and Asia is the copycat culture so (racist that it is) the world expects them to sneak out info.
    Here, I'm not in Asia, and I can make something up: I work in Cupertino and I saw someone with a 16" (or so) iOS device, clearly running iOS Mail. It was wrapped in rubber or plastic to hide the edges, and the guy was in a public park, not knowing someone was near enough to watch him test it. iPad Pro? The home button looked different: the square was solid white instead of an outline.

That would never work because we KNOW that Apple stopped allowing iOS devices to be tested in the field which is what Forstall tried to use as the excuse for why iOS 6 blew chunks on release, not him having too much time spent on pointless visual stunts like button shadows. So you'd have to be on campus and you'd be easily caught and fired. So you'd never tell anything. And so on.
  • Reply 94 of 214
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nagromme wrote: »
    As for the "latest rumor out of Asia"... give me a break. People all of the world make stuff up. Why do people in Asia get all the attention for it? Here, I'm not in Asia, and I can make something up: I work in Cupertino and I saw someone with a 16" (or so) iOS device, clearly running iOS Mail. It was wrapped in rubber or plastic to hide the edges, and the guy was in a public park, not knowing someone was near enough to watch him test it. iPad Pro? The home button looked different: the square was solid white instead of an outline.

Did you miss the flux generator on the back? It doubles as a time machine.

But, alas, I also saw the price tag and it was $49.99. That's far too expensive and Apple needs to release a cheaper version or they will never succeed. /s
  • Reply 95 of 214
    Facts:

- There's a market with millions of monthly subscribers willing to pay 700$ just for a big screen.

Defined using what statistically sound research?

I think you will find that there are many reasons why folks wouldn't pay that much just for a screen, including that Android gives them that size a lot cheaper. If its all about the screen then the OS doesn't matter.
  • Reply 96 of 214
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing upstream supply chain sources, the China Times (via global investment news service BrightWire) reports that Apple will unveil the three iPhones at staggered launches throughout the year, with the first two being the next-generation iPhone and the 4.8-inch "phablet" device.

Sorry, no. I am not sure there is an official definition of "phablet" but I do know that 4.8" is not it. The Galaxy S3 has a 4.8" screen and I have never seen/heard of anyone calling it phablet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcmatt View Post

Man, I guess I'll be waiting even longer to get a 4.2-4.5" phone from Apple. I find the 4" iPhone 5 small, and the 4.8" Android phones to be a bit too large.

Some of that could simply be phone design and not screen size. For instance, the HTC DNA with a 5" screen is the same width as the Galaxy S3 with its smaller screen.

-kpluck

• Reply 97 of 214
    joelchu wrote: »

Indeed. Apple has their own logic about 'cheap' etc. They don't pander to the lowest common denominator in terms of how they design even though to a degree they want the same folks to buy their stuff. And they get it by showing those folks why Apple's choice was better, or even just playing on the whole 'I have an Apple thing, and its expensive. That makes me special.' (Something all companies due to one degree or another)
    If its not making you a cent, why not use your energy to do something productive?

One could ask you the same. Or are you trying to imply that you get paid to come to sites like this and post stuff?
  • Reply 98 of 214
    boxmaccary wrote: »
    The iPhone what, now ....?

Incidentally, to show you just hiw fucking S-T-U-P-I-D these so-called "pundits" are,

Just take out one letter . . .
  • Reply 99 of 214
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19410/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Pic says it all.
    Apple wouldn't fragment there phones.
  • Reply 100 of 214

Originally Posted by Lacticburn View Post

Pic says it all.

Maybe, but it's saying it in a dead language.