Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 214
    Drew,

The point of the video was to show the innovation of Android... and, its ability to do more than be used in only mobile situations.

Some people like the idea of one device for all use cases and Android is providing that.

The video was also to show (in an easier way to actually see) why a person would be interested in more screen space when using Android. As there are actual practical reasons for it other than just being able to see things easier.

The point of my post is that the reason Android is pushing bigger screens is because to use Android to its fullest it is becoming a requirement, but with an os like ios, screen size is more a preference than a requirement.

This is the point most iphone users miss when they laugh at people buying Android phones with large screens.

Try to reflect on this and my posts in a less "don't talk about my momma" way. And I'm sure you'll see what I am trying to get across.

And to your point about not seeing why you need all that, think about Steve Jobs, and how people told him they don't see why you need all that when he introduced the iphone.

Just like people found a neeed for a smartphone, you too may find you need these additional features I mention one you actually start using them.

Again though, we're not all in a position that requires such a need, nor does everyone need a smart phone. But once it's available to you, you soon find it hard to live without.
  • Reply 202 of 214
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    truimagz wrote: »
    You can laugh all you want and think ios is somehow more innovative than Android.

I think this simple video proves otherwise.

There are iPhone demos of that sort of thing too:

[VIDEO]

The biggest difference is that Android won't stop you doing things like this by default. For mouse support and USB support, you'd have to jailbreak an iOS device. It's not really more innovative just allowing functionality vs restricting it, especially when it's not likely to be a popular usage scenario yet.
  • Reply 203 of 214
    Your post and video proves my exact point, to the tee. With ios a bigger display is simply that, a bigger display.

My video shows how a bigger display has actual usefulness and an obvious benefit in the ability and usefulness of your Android device.

Just look at the difference between what the people in each video are doing with their screen real estate. You can see then why with Android screen size actually matters other than just making things bigger.

Comparing your video to mine makes my point so apparent. There is a real reason manufacturers are pushing bigger Android devices and why people are buying them.

It also shows perfectly why ios users don't understand or laugh at people buying larger Android phones.

So back to my original point and post, Apple is not losing anything to Android because of screen size, and Apple is not going to solve the disparity by just releasing a bigger phone, nor will ios users see the point of it.

Apple first needs to have a reason for a bigger screen so users need it, the way Android has. Until then it makes perfect sense for ios users to laugh at the idea of a larger screen iphone.
  • Reply 204 of 214

Originally Posted by truimagz View Post

Edited - now maybe you'll focus on the points raised and not trolling my post.

Nothing changed. You simply removed one of the more trollish points.

…more than be used in only mobile situations.

What does this mean?

Some people like the idea of one device for all use cases and Android is providing that.

So's Apple. Next.

The point of my post is that the reason Android is pushing bigger screens is because to use Android to its fullest it is becoming a requirement, but with an os like ios, screen size is more a preference than a requirement.

This is the point most iphone users miss when they laugh at people buying Android phones with large screens.

We laugh because it's laughable to think that.

And to your point about not seeing why you need all that, think about Steve Jobs, and how people told him they don't see why you need all that when he introduced the iphone.

Just like people found a neeed for a smartphone, you too may find you need these additional features I mention one you actually start using them.

The radio-toaster caught on, too. Fire.

With ios a bigger display is simply that, a bigger display.

Okay, I lampshaded this earlier, but I'll play it straight this time:

Are you claiming that iOS is unchanged, regardless of the size of screen it uses?

• Reply 205 of 214

Quote:

Sure, I see that.  That's a good point.  But that video still shows it using a PC-sized monitor.  When I picture that on anything around a 6" screen, that's still too small for most uses of floating windows and split screens.

But again, one device in a MOBILE environment is almost impossible for the next few years.  For the next few years, I think that that MOST of us would prefer a small phone that fits in our pockets, a mobile-sized tablet, & a desktop system.  I'm not discrediting anyone, just saying what I think MOST people want.  Personally, I don't laugh at anyone's ideas, but I do chuckle when I see human beings place a 6" phone screen to their ear...but that's just me...get a damn ear piece for darn's sake.  :-)

• Reply 206 of 214

Quote:

Bigger screens...Apple seems to already have done that...it has the iPad Mini and iPad.

But OK, no floating windows and stuff, which most would consider a benefit (if it doesn't sacrifice battery life).

So I'm going to make a prediction just for the heck of it...Apple will roll out floating windows, allowing some type of multi-tasking windows environment within the next year.  There it is, I said it.  And Trui helped me make that prediction.  Seriously.

• Reply 207 of 214
    I just wanted people to think outside the fanboy box on this.

And actually see and understand why apple users laugh at the idea of larger screens and Android users applaud it.

I think if anyone were to read my posts objectively I have achieved that.

Drew, it's been fun, and I hear where your coming from as well, my personal hope for the future is that operating systems break free of their physical constraints instead of physical constraints limiting the capabilities of an operating system.
  • Reply 208 of 214

…my personal hope for the future is that operating systems break free of their physical constraints instead of physical constraints limiting the capabilities of an operating system.

What good is a feature if no hardware exists so that you can actually use it?

• Reply 209 of 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think agree with you on this. Hypothetically, they could offer a less expensive product without being 'cheap' in the derogatory sense, and not contradict Phil Schiller's comments. They can make a plastic-backed phone that holds up very well, I thought with the plastic-backed 3G / 3GS models held up very well. It's also possible that they're disowning that heritage in favor of an all metal chassis product line.

My biggest question regarding a cheap, colorful, large form factor (like 4" or larger) iPhone is that who would be the NEW market...surely, not the bargain basement hunters, since the data plans would still be as high as it is now?

I can only see gaining a new market if it were a feature phone, thereby only requiring cheaper data plans...which truly places the device in the cheap (entry level) market.

It must only be me, because every other rumor/news site is predicting that cheap/colorful/plastic 4"-5" iPhone this year!  This would be a tragically bad business move.

• Reply 210 of 214
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    drewys808 wrote: »

My biggest question regarding a cheap, colorful, large form factor (like 4" or larger) iPhone is that who would be the NEW market...surely, not the bargain basement hunters, since the data plans would still be as high as it is now?

I can only see gaining a new market if it were a feature phone, thereby only requiring cheaper data plans...which truly places the device in the cheap (entry level) market.

It must only be me, because every other rumor/news site is predicting that cheap/colorful/plastic 4"-5" iPhone this year!  This would be a tragically bad business move.

I think even Digitimes had retracted the story. It never made sense from any angle. There is zero reason for there be a budget model that offers a larger screen than is available in the more expensive, better quality models. If there will be a larger iPhone, it won't be cheaper.
  • Reply 211 of 214
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I think even Digitimes had retracted the story. It never made sense from any angle. There is zero reason for there be a budget model that offers a larger screen than is available in the better quality models. If there will be a larger iPhone, it won't be cheaper.

It could be the same cost as the current iPhone for a given capacity if they use the internal components and the same resolution display so that there is no chance in the UI. However, I would expect Apple to have at least a $50 price increase if they go that route.
  • Reply 212 of 214
    truimagz wrote: »
    You guys are completely out of touch.

People are not buying bigger screens for the sake of having a bigger screen...

They are buying bigger screens because of the innovation occurring inside the Android OS that lends itself to the need of a bigger screen.

Floating windows, multiple apps running side by side, and all of these going on in combination.

On my note 2 it is common for me to have 2 apps side by side, a floating browser Window, and a floating note Page.

And I may still need desktop access during this to use a widget or see a conference video playing.

Thus a bigger screen is necessary, not just a fad.

When it comes to iphones why do you really need a big screen when you can only run 1 app at a time, and your desktop is basically just the Android appdrawer?

This is why iphones owners see bigger screens as stupid or a joke, because in the world of ios you could operate it on a watch band. It's simple, static, linear, and lens itself to "one thing at a time" use.

Android and ios are worlds apart in use, requirements, and usefulness.
    Did you think apples CEO first.
  • Reply 213 of 214
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If there is a stupid device called the iPhone Math I think we should all call it the <font face="Times">?</font>Phone. Maybe it's really a 3.14" phone.

Don't be so "irrational."
  • Reply 214 of 214

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Don't be so "irrational."

iPhone. Launch date: ?