Rumor: Apple to debut 4.8" 'iPhone Math' device alongside next-gen iPhone in June

Comments

• Reply 101 of 214
    It's really iPhone Meth... for the crack heads that think it will happen.
  • Reply 102 of 214
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    That's actually why you're mistaken. Apple makes high tech electronics. They're not in the customer business.
    And your not in the spelling business. Spell Check if you please.

If you're going to spell-check someone, it's a good idea to use the correct spelling of you're.
    pfisher wrote:
    If a bigger iPhone does not come out this year, I will have to consider moving to Android.

Disclaimer: I've been using Apple products for over 30 years (started with Apple II).

They did make a bigger phone. You're currently using a 4S and complaining about it not being big enough, so try an iPhone 5. If you don't like it, then consider moving to Android and if you finally do move and lots of other people do too, maybe Apple will do something about it. While people keep buying and not moving, Apple has no reason to do anything to fragment their lineup.
  • Reply 103 of 214
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lacticburn wrote: »

Pic says it all.
    Apple wouldn't fragment there phones.

I've been wanting my trackpad to have a display built in for years. It's already glass and capacitance. Doesn't even have to be high resolution. Make it AMOLED so that when it's black it's not using power and then have a bar at the top with some basic info and allow an API so that certain apps can benefit from it. Calculator (for doing math) is the first app that comes to mind. Having to use the mouse or a row of numbers on the keyboard to type in equations is a chore. This would make it as easy as using your iPhone.

In the last few years a few devices, I think just as prototypes, have popped up with that concept. I can't imagine any of them working without the OS having full support which means that Apple is the only one that could do it right.

• Reply 104 of 214
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I reckon the 'cheap' iPhone will be the same as the current iPhone 5 (including full metal jacket or maybe not?) just in colours and named iPhone 5c, the iPhone 5s will also look the same (black/slate and white/silver only) but with upgraded internals and higher-res camera and finally the phablet iPhone 5x with same internals and camera as iPhone 5s (maybe an A7x SoC instead of the A7) with the larger 4.8 to 5.3 inch screen but the same ppi as the iPhone 5s.
  • Reply 105 of 214
    1983 wrote: »
    ...with a larger 4.8 to 5.3 inch screen but the same ppi as the iPhone 5s.

So a new SDK, resolution for developers to build for, and complexity for users when shopping?
  • Reply 106 of 214

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Make it AMOLED…

Ah, see, well… image

In the last few years a few devices, I think just as prototypes, have popped up with that concept. I can't imagine any of them working without the OS having full support which means that Apple is the only one that could do it right.

Thing about Apple is they already have a plan. If, for some unfathomable reason, PC makers start doing this to their laptops, Apple won't care. 

"You wanted a trackpad with a screen? We made your entire computer the screen. Boom, we've discontinued our laptops; enjoy this brand new, desktop-grade multitouch OS and device lineup." 

I can see PC makers do this in one of two places: 1) right after Apple has killed their laptops for their future solution, trying to capitalize on the people too lazy to buy into said future but also too inept to realize that they're buying this new product because it pretends to offer "everything" Apple's does in a "more comfortable and familiar" environment or 2) roundabout before Apple has killed their laptops, and then the trolls get to pretend that Apple did it in "response to" trackpads with screens. 

• Reply 107 of 214

If they offer a 4.5-5" iPhone I will get one.  The small screen on the iPhone is the main reason left for me to stay with my Android phone.  I am a big person and simply prefer a larger phone.....

I have never really understood the reason people here bash the larger phones so much.  My 4.6" Display Galaxy Nexus fits in all of my pockets with a rubber cover on it and it is quite comfortable to hold.  Even my little 5'-2" wife seem to be able to operate it just fine.  I can understand why a person will small hands might not like it, but people do come in different sizes....

• Reply 108 of 214
    Ah, see, well… ;)

Thing about Apple is they already have a plan. If, for some unfathomable reason, PC makers start doing this to their laptops, Apple won't care. 

"You wanted a trackpad with a screen? We made your entire computer the screen. Boom, we've discontinued our laptops; enjoy this brand new, desktop-grade multitouch OS and device lineup." 

I can see PC makers do this in one of two places: 1) right after Apple has killed their laptops for their future solution, trying to capitalize on the people too lazy to buy into said future but also too inept to realize that they're buying this new product because it pretends to offer "everything" Apple's does in a "more comfortable and familiar" environment or 2) roundabout before Apple has killed their laptops, and then the trolls get to pretend that Apple did it in "response to" trackpads with screens. 

I'm not following. How could this work after laptops are killed off? I can only see this being effective to boost notebook sales.
  • Reply 109 of 214
    sranger wrote: »
    If they offer a 4.5-5" iPhone I will get one.  The small screen on the iPhone is the main reason left for me to stay with my Android phone.  I am a big person and simply prefer a larger phone.....

I have never really understood the reason people here bash the larger phones so much.  My 4.6" Display Galaxy Nexus fits in all of my pockets with a rubber cover on it and it is quite comfortable to hold.  Even my little 5'-2" wife seem to be able to operate it just fine.  I can understand why a person will small hands might not like it, but people do come in different sizes....

Maybe they will. Cultures can change quickly due to technology. Before the iPhone smartphones were for hardcore geeks and corporate types. Now they are not only common but sometimes the primary computing device if you are only going to have one device.

I remember when the iPhone came out that anti-Apple crowd were complaining about (among other things) that it was too big. Too big! Since vendors in an attempt to compete with Apple jumped on young LTE chips that were huge and used a lot of power thus forcing vendors to make much larger phones hidden behind a larger display the trend appears to have caught on.

Even Apple has built a larger display phone for their LTE debut. Granted, it's less volume and weight than all previous iPhones but it's still a larger display. If we really are seeing a large part of the population push toward a larger device (just as many have moved to the iPad over a notebook) then the market will follow, and that includes Apple.
  • Reply 110 of 214
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard17 View Post

We call them Phones, but lets not forget their flexibility as computers:

I am 67 years old and had lots of computers since the first day the Pet came out.

With my iPad, I decided to redo all my Math up to Vectors and Calculus with a new pleasure because of the display flexibility. I never wanted to give up on my multitude HP calculators but now I do. We need real pocket portability for Math, Study, games and WEB; "the answer in your pocket". How many times in a day do I pick my iPod Touch to check on something I ear on the radio...

A (4" - 5" screen) would be a dream come through for me because the "Touch" with its great screen is still to small to be a practical calculator, a CAS or a Web browser. Even so, I use more the Touch than my 4th Gen. iPad. For desk study, the iPad for me is still a must. These machines will change the way we learn; at last, with pleasure. Its fun to play games but its also a pleasure to learn at our own pace...

Richard

Welcome!

• Reply 111 of 214

I'm not following. How could this work after laptops are killed off? I can only see this being effective to boost notebook sales.

That's what I mean: Apple kills their laptops and traditional desktops in favor of a fully multitouch OS, some people think they don't want that (they really just don't want to learn anything new), PC manufacturers take advantage of this and put out laptops with screens in the trackpads to capture the people "leaving Apple", despite the new tech purporting to be exactly what Apple added.

• Reply 112 of 214
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Is iPhone "Math" the lost in translation version of iPhone "Max"? If so this will make those who want a monster-sized iPhone happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That simply *has* to be a typo or a bad translation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Makes far more sense than "Math", even as a code name it's a bad one.

Sure it's not the iPhone "Meth"?

(Because that's what some people must be taking to believe some of these rumors).

• Reply 113 of 214
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

iPhone Meth.

Not even once.

• Reply 114 of 214
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

And your not in the spelling business. Spell Check if you please.

And you're not in the spelling business either.

• Reply 115 of 214
    So
    vaelian wrote: »
    Your entire argument falls to the ground in the light of carrier subsides.

So do you think the money magically disappear because of the network subsides? It just a round about way coming out from your own pocket.
  • Reply 116 of 214
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    sranger wrote: »

The trouble with that is, it doesn't end. If Apple did make a 4.5" device, some people would still say it's not big enough and it needs to be 5". People do come in all shapes and sizes but toilet bowls tend to be roughly the same size. It's inconvenient for some but it's not practical to make different sizes for everyone and people deal with it. If the volume of customers who prefer a larger phone (not people who just buy a larger phone because it happens to be the newest model) is significant, it makes sense. If Apple has sold a significant amount of iPhone 5s this quarter then they don't have to worry.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1292644/samsung-galaxy-s3

"Too big to be a 'phone'
    As great as this device is, if it's not comfortable to use in one hand for the majority of users, then it is not a phone, it's a tablet with phone functionality.

For me personally, i'll be sticking with the SG2 until they start making reasonably sized smart phones again.

I've just upgraded to the extended battery for the SG2 which is only 100mAh less than the SG3 battery but lasts longer due to the smaller screen size.

And despite having 2 less cores, the SG2 is still fast enough for all my daily smart phone needs (it never stopped being fast enough).

I hope Samsung release another 4'3 inch model next year as anything over this screen size is too big for me."

"Stupid size for a phone
    We don't need phones that are this big, it's just getting ridiculous. I guarantee that the instructions tell you to take this out of your pocket when you sit down... why should having your phone in your pocket be a risk? How long before these things come with a free backpack, to carry them in?"
  • Reply 117 of 214
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member

Yeah, I wonder if this is a hoax from somebody with a sense of humor. That is, if you do the math you'll realize this iPhone rumor is a hoax. 

Quote:

The iPhone Math doesn't add up.

1) The name makes no sense.

2) If they are going to release a less expensive iPhone you'd think they used the same displays, and OS and app ecosystems they current use. Like with the iPad mini.

Using the iPad (3)'s PPI, with the 960x480 resolution of the iPhone 4 you get a 4.37" display. With the 1136x640 resolution of the iPhone you get a 4.904" display.

• Reply 118 of 214
    Marvin wrote: »
    How long before these things come with a free backpack, to carry them in?"

I'd love to see a mockup of a Samsung Galaxy S phone with wheels and extendable handle like a carry on suitcase.
  • Reply 119 of 214
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Another thing to consider... this might be the perfect time to release a bigger (again) iPhone:

4.8" iPhone whatever

4.0" iPhone 5

3.5" iPhone 4S

That's a nice lineup right there image

I really doubt Apple is going to increase the size of the screen as the ONLY option when updateing the iPhone.  They spend way too much time/money in R&D for this to happen.  Give me an example if this happening...where they have completely changed the form factor and dropped another in the course of 2 years???

Now if the rumors (all of them combined) are true, We could see 3 new iPhones this year.

The first could come this spring with the 5S as some have rumored...with Apple going to a bi-annual 4" screen iPhone release.  This is quite possible since the "S" versions are basically just speed boosts and other minor upgrades.

The second release could be this rumored "low cost iPhone" (with an all new form-factor) in July as some have predicted.  IMO this "low cost" new form-factor, unsibsidized version is probably the most plausible rumor to come true.  I think with the release of the Lightning jack, Apple will be turning the page on I/O and dropping the iPhone 4 & 4S (liquidating current stock in 2013) and replacing them with a lower-cost, dumbed-down iPhone.  Makes the most sense to me, but i'm just a dumb user, so what do I know...other than with my iPad 2 as my primary computing device now, I rarely use my phone other when when out of the house or just quick glances on the go.  Should they release a lower cost iPhone in a new form-factor...that would be the one I buy.  If the "low cost" iPhone is simply the iPhone 5 on a cheaper subsidy, I'll wait.

Third, To me, it seems quite logical to introduce a 2nd form-factor as an alternative to the current standard 4" screen.  Perhaps the 4" model will be the "low cost" option and the 4.8" will be the premium option.  To me that's the most logical course of action.  And, perhaps this 5" phone will have a 4:3 screen to keep the height of the phone down, just make it wider.  This way we have a 4:3 form-factor across the product line again.

Also keep in mind that Apple has just released a lot of products with the strategy to eliminate the 30-pin dock cord, so that their entire iDevice lineup is on Lightning connectors.  This could happen with the iPhone as well.  They drop every device that has a 30-pin cord, and introduce a 2nd form factor for the iPhone.

Now, another though could be that this rumored 5" device could be a larger iPod Touch.  I think before the iP5 was released, a lot of rumors were going down that Apple were going to release 2 iPhone models in 2012.  Well, as it turned out, one was the iP5, and the other was a 4" iPod touch.  So it's quite possible that this rumored near-5" device could be a larger iPod touch.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't see 3 NEW devices, I see 2 new one's and possibly a "last year's" discount option.

1. iPhone 5 - Subsidized (with 2-year contract) starting at $99

2. iPhone X (low cost model) - Unsubsidized (contract free) starting at $249

3. iPhone Y (near-5" screen) - Subsidized (with 2-year contract) starting at $199

They could even throw in the iPhone 4S for a free subsidy (while supplies last).

Whether the larger screen (if rumors are true) iPhone is the new "Standard" model or just an alternative model to the 4" is yet to be seen.  It's possible but I just don't see how they could change the standard screen size in the course of 1 year.  No apple product has done this.  Not even the iPod Nano (arguably the one device that has changed forms the most in it's product lifespan) has changed and major form in the course of 1 year.

• Reply 120 of 214
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

This rumors is a good match with the halt of ipad 4 production at Sharp.  Apple needs a tech like IGZO to make bigger screen with high resolution while at the same time save battery life and have a thinner design.

Would be nice if Apple could secure all IGZO production, it would be a much better way to cut competition than doing it with lawsuit in court. OLED is nice but its not as efficient as IGZO. Apple would have an edge for maybe a year on the tech side. If Apple is going with IGZO, I would start production ASAP to avoid supply problem later on.