Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Comments

• Reply 101 of 151

Time for Apple to dazzle by giving the customers..... choice.

• Reply 102 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless it's this year and they want to trip us up with naming conventions all over again.

I assume the same 5" prototype is the source of the "iPhone Plus" rumor from earlier. Any claims about what it will be called are probably speculative. You know how these rumors get passed around and embellished.

• Reply 103 of 151

Yes, Apple has too many product lines and varieties now.  Macbook with and without the  retina display.  iDevices a generation or two are selling at the same time.  They need to clean this up and avoid confusion for the consumer.

They need an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 5 Pro...

The Pro model would have a 5" screen and be mostly used like an iPad mini.  It will come with the best bluetooth headset ever, so you don't have to put the iPhone Pro up to your face when making calls.  You can also access Siri there.  Or, they could include an iWatch or something wearable.

The headset could be charged wirelessly and alert you when you "forget" the iPhone Pro--going outside its sync distance.

Something wearable, natural, easy, and forward-looking.

• Reply 104 of 151

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Maybe they'll just go with: "The new iPhone" image

I guess they don't ever have to use names that make sense. The 2014 models of cars should start being released in April 2013… 

• Reply 105 of 151
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    gwmac wrote:
    1920x1280 1080P resolution would be perfect. It would be a resolution that could stick around for a long while as well. Apple sort of boxed themselves into a corner with the original retina. For the current iPhone maybe switch to 720P with a 1280x720 screen and just widen it a bit.

That resolution would let them pixel-double iPhone 4 apps and maintain their Retina branding. The Sony XPeria Z has a 5" 1080p screen:

[VIDEO]

Their ad is a bit weird as usual:

[VIDEO]

That thing looks absolutely huge when you see the women in the ad carrying it. They also don't show people making a phone call with it stuck to the side of their face, most of the scenarios are recording or watching video. I don't watch video clips when I walk down a street. I admit, it might be nice for filming a herd of stray horses galloping on the beach or while hill-climbing dressed in evening wear but how often does that happen? Smaller phones are also easier to grip while filming.

Apple is a very image conscious company. Do they want their customers making calls while holding up a giant device to their head? I doubt it.

It might make sense as an iPod Touch device, which isn't for calling with and that could be quite good for students but the iPod Touch market is dying out in favour of phones anyway.
  • Reply 106 of 151
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

The whole naming thing reminds me of whichever future show had that "Rocky XXV" movie sequel poster with an ancient Stallone in it.

I mean, 25 years from now, will Apple be selling the new "iPhone 20S" ?

When does it stop?  Will it ever make more sense to come up with a name like iPhone "Snow Leopard"?  

Or are numbers just so much easier to keep track of?  If so, why not just plop the year on the end.  "iPhone 2013"

• Reply 107 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    That resolution would let them pixel-double iPhone 4 apps and maintain their Retina branding.

1) To avoid confusion that would be double the resolution but quadrupling the pixels.

2) I see the point with 1920x1280 as it does the same thing as the 3GS did going from 480x320 to 960x640 for the iPhone 4, but that is the 3:2 aspect ratio. Don't you think Apple might want to slowly pull away from that to assist developers.

3) What size would you imagine for this? At 4.5" you have a 513 PPI display. I think by that point vendors offering greater than 300 PPI are just playing the one-up game on one spec sheet feature, not trying to make a better device.
  • Reply 108 of 151
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I can read and my statement holds true. I don't want to see Apple make a larger iPhone than the one that's currently on the market. They already have their two models - the 5 & the 4/4s.

So, if they made one the same size, and a larger one for people like me, why would you care? Why do you hope they don't make a larger one, if you can still get the small one? This is just idiotic... It's like saying I wish Panasonic only made the 42" size TV I buy. As long as I can buy a 42", why would I care if they make a 47", a 50", or a 55"? This is about as dumb a statement anyone could make! So, you think they should make the one size and leave everyone else out that wants a larger one? Dumb, dumb, dumb...

• Reply 109 of 151
    ruel24 wrote: »

So, if they made one the same size, and a larger one for people like me, why would you care? Why do you hope they don't make a larger one, if you can still get the small one? This is just idiotic... It's like saying I wish Panasonic only made the 42" size TV I buy. As long as I can buy a 42", why would I care if they make a 47", a 50", or a 55"? This is about as dumb a statement anyone could make! So, you think they should make the one size and leave everyone else out that wants a larger one? Dumb, dumb, dumb...

There is a difference between a TV of different sizes and a different size, resolution and aspect ratio phone that is tied to an app ecosystem on a window-less OS. Creating a 5" device with a Panavision aspect ratio and 600 PPI would split development efforts which could hurt the OS and app quality and quantity moving forward. This is why Apple has been so very careful in their iOS display size, resolution and aspect ratio stepping. You simply don't get these issues with broadcast TV.
  • Reply 110 of 151
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That resolution would let them pixel-double iPhone 4 apps and maintain their Retina branding. The Sony XPeria Z has a 5" 1080p screen:

Their ad is a bit weird as usual:

That thing looks absolutely huge when you see the women in the ad carrying it. They also don't show people making a phone call with it stuck to the side of their face, most of the scenarios are recording or watching video. I don't watch video clips when I walk down a street. I admit, it might be nice for filming a herd of stray horses galloping on the beach or while hill-climbing dressed in evening wear but how often does that happen? Smaller phones are also easier to grip while filming.

Apple is a very image conscious company. Do they want their customers making calls while holding up a giant device to their head? I doubt it.

It might make sense as an iPod Touch device, which isn't for calling with and that could be quite good for students but the iPod Touch market is dying out in favour of phones anyway.

My friend recently bought the new HTC phone with the 1080P resolution. The display is absolutely gorgeous. It is also very thin and light. We both opened our favorite game which is called Modern War and the difference was really striking. Also viewing the internet was just so much easier to read on his phone. 

As far as holding it up and looking ridiculous, the iPhone already includes headphones for that. Not to mention plenty of good bluetooth ear pieces so problem solved. And quite frankly I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about the size of my phone and I imagine most people think the same. I never heard people talk about the size of their landline phones as being too big or heavy.  All I care about is a display size that works for me and 4" is most certainly not it. 

I really hope Apple decides to make a larger display and I hope it is around 4.8" give or take +/-.3. They may well decide to not make one this year but if they do a lot of current iPhone customers like me will have little choice but to move to Android since this is our #1 priority. A big an easy to read display for poor eyes trumps iOS. People thought sagging would quickly die off as well but it is more popular now than ever. I don't get sagging either but I recognize it is no longer a fad. Big displays are here to stay. 

• Reply 111 of 151
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    melmel wrote: »
    Yes, Apple has too many product lines and varieties now.  Macbook with and without the  retina display.  iDevices a generation or two are selling at the same time.  They need to clean this up and avoid confusion for the consumer.

They need an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 5 Pro...

The Pro model would have a 5" screen and be mostly used like an iPad mini.  It will come with the best bluetooth headset ever, so you don't have to put the iPhone Pro up to your face when making calls.  You can also access Siri there.  Or, they could include an iWatch or something wearable.

The headset could be charged wirelessly and alert you when you "forget" the iPhone Pro--going outside its sync distance.

Something wearable, natural, easy, and forward-looking.

That's a really good idea.

If they marketed it with a high end headset that would alleviate concerns that its too awkward to hold up to your face and things like that.

It's interesting because Apple has those wireless charging patents where a MacBook device could theoretically charge a wireless mouse without cords or plugs.

Could a larger iPhone charge a Bluetooth headset the same way? That'd be pretty cool technology.
  • Reply 112 of 151
    gwmac wrote: »
    We both opened our favorite game which is called Modern War and the difference was really striking.

Striking as in the frame rate on the 1080p display with a weaker GPU was making for a less entrenched game play experience?
  • Reply 113 of 151
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    solipsismx wrote:
    I see the point with 1920x1280 as it does the same thing as the 3GS did going from 480x320 to 960x640 for the iPhone 4, but that is the 3:2 aspect ratio. Don't you think Apple might want to slowly pull away from that to assist developers.

Yes, it would make sense for them to go with 2272 x 1280 on a much larger phone but either one works - 16:9 doesn't look good on large devices.
    solipsismx wrote:
    What size would you imagine for this? At 4.5" you have a 513 PPI display. I think vendors offering greater than 300 PPI are just playing the one-up game on one spec sheet feature, not trying to make a better device.

I can't really imagine them going beyond a size that maintains the 300+ PPI at the same resolution. There's a calculator here:

http://thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/computer/hardware/ppicalc.html

That puts the limit for 1136 x 640 at 4.3" to stay above 300PPI. This would be around the size of the Galaxy S2:

[VIDEO]

The Acer Liquid C1 is 16:9 4.3":

[VIDEO]

I really can't see them going beyond that and I would doubt they'd sell two models. Having to retool everything and have a completely separate process and then to have to commit to that for every future model is too much. If they were going to do that, they'd be as well just scaling the iPhone 5 up to 4.3". The Backberry Z10 is 4.2" and it looks quite good. The bezel makes it look like a bigger change than it is.

It has a higher resolution at ~720p but they'd get away with the current resolution. You can see there's not much point having the two models at that size because the difference is so small. They'd have to be careful it didn't conflict with their thumb-size marketing and I think it would.
    gwmac wrote:
    I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about the size of my phone and I imagine most people think the same

You can imagine "most people" agree with anything though. I could say that I imagine "most people" think a giant phone is crazy, which actually holds up from the sales figures as most people are actually buying smaller phones. The point was more about what Apple wants to sell though.

It can't just be what people want but also what makes sense for Apple to make. You can't expect to go into a supermarket and ask them to make a slightly larger can of beans because the size they make doesn't cover 4 pieces of toast and then say it's a big problem because "most people" eat beans on toast 4 pieces at a time.

There are a lot of economics to think about - how much does the larger display cost, how much heavier will it weigh with a bigger battery, how will the larger display affect battery life. They have to work all the costs and sizes out to make sure it's going to be worthwhile.
    gwmac wrote:
    I really hope Apple decides to make a larger display and I hope it is around 4.8" give or take +/-.3. They may well decide to not make one this year but if they do a lot of current iPhone customers like me will have little choice but to move to Android since this is our #1 priority. A big an easy to read display for poor eyes trumps iOS.

I agree that many things are better to do on a big screen but that's why I use my iPad for reading web pages. If I had a 5.5" phone, I'd still use my iPad. With a higher resolution, the text isn't any bigger and with scaling, it's just 10% bigger or so. Apple would be better off having a UI scaling feature for better readability like they do on the Retina Macs. Pinch zoom for the web works fine but sometimes it would be good to have it rewrap to a fixed width.
  • Reply 114 of 151
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    3) What size would you imagine for this? At 4.5" you have a 513 PPI display. I think point I think vendors offering greater than 300 PPI are just playing the one-up game on one spec sheet feature, not trying to make a better device.

Nothing like blowing battery life out the door for specs that benefit the user negligibly, or even negatively.
  • Reply 115 of 151

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Nope, it'll be the iPhone 17.

Unless you're counting the iPhone 5S before the "from now", then it's iPhone 17S.

• Reply 116 of 151
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

I agree that many things are better to do on a big screen but that's why I use my iPad for reading web pages. If I had a 5.5" phone, I'd still use my iPad. With a higher resolution, the text isn't any bigger and with scaling, it's just 10% bigger or so. Apple would be better off having a UI scaling feature for better readability like they do on the Retina Macs. Pinch zoom for the web works fine but sometimes it would be good to have it rewrap to a fixed width.

Few would disagree that the iPad offers a better hands on experience than any phone. When I am at home I also use my iPad far more than my iPhone. But I think most are talking about the need for a larger iPhone when not at home and for those people that for whatever reason do not have an iPad. The iPad is not as portable and the data plans are just too expensive for most to enjoy on the road. 

I spend about 9 to 13 hours away from home on most days and larger iPhone would offer hands down the biggest improvement to my usage. For anyone that spends a significant amount of time outside their home the iPad is rarely the best option especially if you are already paying a huge phone bill. 

• Reply 117 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The whole naming thing reminds me of whichever future show had that "Rocky XXV" movie sequel poster with an ancient Stallone in it.

When does it stop?  Will it ever make more sense to come up with a name like iPhone "Snow Leopard"?  

Or are numbers just so much easier to keep track of?  If so, why not just plop the year on the end.  "iPhone 2013"

Or not.

2001 - "iMac"

2013 - "iMac"

• Reply 118 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

My friend recently bought the new HTC phone with the 1080P resolution. The display is absolutely gorgeous. It is also very thin and light. We both opened our favorite game which is called Modern War and the difference was really striking. Also viewing the internet was just so much easier to read on his phone. 

Put a ring on it.

• Reply 119 of 151
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Or not.

2001 - "iMac"

2013 - "iMac"

Of course, that won't work for the iPhone, as Apple continues to sell two older models.

So there has to be some way to differentiate them by name.

• Reply 120 of 151
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Of course, that won't work for the iPhone, as Apple continues to sell two older models.

So there has to be some way to differentiate them by name.

Early, Mid, Late 20xx gets that job done. And have done so for many products, many years.

PS whassup with the HTML formatting? It's a hassle to clean up.