Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Comments

• Reply 121 of 151

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Of course, that won't work for the iPhone, as Apple continues to sell two older models.

Of course it will. Abject nonsense to think otherwise. 

So there has to be some way to differentiate them by name.

One's faster. The other's slower. No name difference needed. Pretty simple.

• Reply 122 of 151

Apple don't need a 5 inch phone. As someone has said, give the phone capacity to the iPad mini and Apple will be future proof. After all Android manufacturers and in particularly shamesung is going to increase the screen size of their phones this year anyway. 

• Reply 123 of 151
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    There is a different between a TV of different sizes and a different size, resolution and aspect ratio phone that is tied to an app ecosystem on a window-less OS. Creating a 5" device with a Panavision aspect ratio and 600 PPI would split development efforts which could hurt the OS and app quality and quantity moving forward. This is why Apple has been so very careful in their iOS display size, resolution and aspect ratio stepping. You simply don't get these issues with broadcast TV.

Except that the rumor is the same resolution, only bigger, as the iPhone 5, which makes your argument null and void. At least read the article before you spew nonsense, ok?
  • Reply 124 of 151
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    If the rumor ends up true, you Steve Jobs worshipping hanger-ons will proclaim it was the best decision Apple ever made. Such butt kissers!!!
  • Reply 125 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ruel24 wrote: »
    If the rumor ends up true, you Steve Jobs worshipping hanger-ons will proclaim it was the best decision Apple ever made. Such butt kissers!!!

They'll make a 5.9" phone and then say "see Apple didn't make a 5" phone"
  • Reply 126 of 151
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ruel24 wrote: »
    Except that the rumor is the same resolution, only bigger, as the iPhone 5, which makes your argument null and void. At least read the article before you spew nonsense, ok?

Apparently I was asking too much for you to make a reasonable and intelligent reply.
  • Reply 127 of 151
    Why is Apple following the trends, when it use to be the trend to follow?
  • Reply 128 of 151
    lkward wrote: »

You mean how Apple invented the smartphone? You mean how Apple invented the PMP? You mean how Apple invented digital music? Apple doesn't much of a history of being the first to enter a market or market segment but they do have a long history of is entering a market or market segment once they have worked out all the parts to make it widely successful for them. Not too soon or too late, and rarely even in some half-assed way that has to be reinvented every 6 months because the throwing-shit-on-the-way-to-see-what-sticks model didn't stick well enough.
  • Reply 129 of 151
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course it will. Abject nonsense to think otherwise. 

One's faster. The other's slower. No name difference needed. Pretty simple.

I'm willing to hear how you think it would work if all iPhones were just called "iPhone" with no other designation.

For example, let's say someone was looking for a used iPhone, but all six year's worth of models had the same name.  How would they know which one they were buying?

Even with the same-named iMacs, people have to check specs to see what CPU, memory, hard drive, etc it is.. and even check model numbers to be sure.   I don't think people would be willing to do that to see which model iPhone something was...  even if they knew the differences.

• Reply 130 of 151

I'm willing to hear how you think it would work if all iPhones were just called "iPhone" with no other designation.

The exact same way the iPod touch has always been sold. Big freaking deal.

For example, let's say someone was looking for a used iPhone, but all six year's worth of models had the same name.  How would they know which one they were buying?

Looking at the specs. Just like they do with any other product anywhere else.

Even with the same-named iMacs, people have to check specs to see what CPU, memory, hard drive, etc it is.. and even check model numbers to be sure.   I don't think people would be willing to do that to see which model iPhone something was...  even if they knew the differences.

Funny, they're willing to do it everywhere else. What magical properties does the iPhone have that make it stupid to hold it to the same standard?

Are you honestly pretending to believe that people DON'T look at the specs of the iPhone they want and just say, "Oh, these numbers are different. I want the middle number!"?!

• Reply 131 of 151

Only the powers to be know the answer.  Will they attempt to please the flock or will they hold their staff firm and bold.  Only a few months to the answer.

• Reply 132 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Maybe they'll just go with: "The new iPhone" image

How well did that scheme work out for the iPad? ;)

• Reply 133 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Or not.

2001 - "iMac"

2013 - "iMac"

That works because Apple doesn't sell past models concurrently. They tried calling iPad3 the new iPad in early 2012 and, by September, they went back to the numbering scheme.

• Reply 134 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkward View Post

This is semantics. If Apple releases a yet larger phone, it would be no more following a trend than it did when the first iPhone was launched. I might be exaggerating a bit here. But, the fact is - smartphones existed already in 2007. But Apple reinvented it. Arguably, Apple has never been the true trailblazer. But their history is not about creating new categories or trends but rather about entering a fledgling one to not only become more successful at it than anyone else but to reinvent it and popularize it.

Look at iPad Mini. Simple minds would say that they followed a trend. That is technically correct. But how many 7-8" tablets sold in the same volume as the iPad before iPad MIni was launched? How many allowed you to run apps with equally seamless and identical experience on either tablet size? How many were manufactured to the level and engineered to feel so svelte in our hold? There was no trend of such a high end small tablet before the Mini. So, once again, Apple reinvented a category (or rather a sub-category). Admittedly, this is a minor reinvention compared to the original iPad. But it is wrong to say that if Apple doesn't launch something completely revolutionary every 6 months, they have become a follower.

If Apple chooses to launch a larger phone (still questionable), here is how it will look:

It will use the same LCD panel as iPad (i.e. 264 ppi) and same screen resolution as iPhone 5 (i.e. 1136 x 640). Do the math and it works out to be a 4.94" display. Such an iPhone will (again) run apps identically as on iPhone 5 (and its successors). It will also take advantage of the display panels already used in the iPad (hence cost efficiency). In a future iteration, its pixel density may double. Although 528 ppi seems ridiculous now, it will give Apple a 1080p iPhone without going to 732 ppi. But I am willing to bet there will be another angle that will set it apart from iPhone 5 (and 5S, etc.). It might be even thinner, or it might feature a super longlasting battery. It will for sure feature superb engineering. It might sport OLED (questionable since that would mean not reusing the iPad LCD). Time will tell. Bottom line, by the time we hold it in our hands, only typical Apple critics would say it is a me-too large phone.

The thing is - it's silly to talk about who follows whom. Just judge a product on its merits.

• Reply 135 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The exact same way the iPod touch has always been sold. Big freaking deal.

Unlike the iPhone, Apply only sells one generation of new iPod touch at a time.

Even Apple sells older iPod touch by which generation number it is, not by specs.   From the Apple online store:

Funny, they're willing to do it everywhere else. What magical properties does the iPhone have that make it stupid to hold it to the same standard?

On the contrary, Apple hasn't shown any willingness to strip the iPhone name of model numbers.  You're arguing against Apple, not me. I like your idea. I just don't see how it could work right now.

When someone's mother asks us which of the three current iPhones to order from AT&T, to get the original screen size and Siri, do we reply succinctly with "Aha, you mean the iPhone 4S"... or do we respond with, "Read the online sales specs carefully and figure it out yourself!"

• Reply 136 of 151
    That works because Apple doesn't sell past models concurrently. They tried calling iPad3 the new iPad in early 2012 and, by September, they went back to the numbering scheme.

They did? I thought it was just "iPad with retina display." The only people I've ever heard refer to an iPad 4 are idiotic reporters on CNN and the like.
  • Reply 137 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post

They did? I thought it was just "iPad with retina display." The only people I've ever heard refer to an iPad 4 are idiotic reporters on CNN and the like.

Apple uses both names ("mini", "retina") and numbers ("2").   

They also put the Generation for refurbished units.  (I.e. they don't make buyers figure out what model they're getting just from hardware specs.)

• Reply 138 of 151

So you think the iPhone 4 and 4S are "new generations" of iPhone, huh. image

Even Apple sells older iPod touch by which generation number it is, not by specs.

So do you see any numbers in the name of the product?

On the contrary, Apple hasn't shown any willingness to strip the iPhone name of model numbers.

Where did I say they did? It's easy to argue against something that hasn't happened. They have, however, shown willingness to both never have and to remove numbers from other product lines, even where the same situation as the iPhone occurs.

I just don't see how it could work right now.

By removing the numbers from the product name. Was that so hard to formulate? Why am I even asking this question? Why are YOU even speculating about it? What could have possibly been so hard to imagine about them doing it? They release a new device, but it has no number in the name. That's how it could work right now.

They just drop the number. It's literally that simple.

When someone's mother asks us which of the three current iPhones to order from AT&T, to get the original screen size and Siri, do we reply succinctly with "Aha, you mean the iPhone 4S"... or do we respond with, "Read the online sales specs carefully and figure it out yourself!"

Neither. We're talking sales and service industry here. The customer is already there; it's your job to make it as painless for them as possible. When they're in front of you, assume they've either already done their research or don't care about doing the research. Don't add a second step for them; just get them what they want.

"I want the small phone one with Siri." "Here's the iPhone you want." (middle of the line iPhone)

"I want the small laptop one with retina." "Here's the MacBook Pro you want." (13" MacBook Pro with retina display)

Heck, drop both designators from the MacBook family names. It still works.

"I want the smallest laptop." "Here's the MacBook you want." (currently 11" MacBook Air)

"I want the biggest laptop without retina." "Here's the MacBook you want." (currently 15.4" old-style MacBook Pro)

People look at specs for every other product Apple sells. Why do you claim they don't do the same for the iPhone, even with the numbers?

What about other questions where the person doesn't have a clue what they want?

"Which iPhone do think I should get?" "Oh, I got the middle one. I think you'd be fine with that/you should get the best one/the cheapest one will work for you." "I [perform action] a lot." "Okay, then you should definitely get the middle one/go with the high end."

Same thing as any computer purchase. The name of the product doesn't tell a person anything, number or not.

• Reply 139 of 151
    kdarling wrote: »

They are selling the 4th and 5th gen iPod Touches alongside each other.

• Reply 140 of 151

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They are selling the 4th and 5th gen iPod Touches alongside each other.

I'm still curious as to his definition of "new" in that regard.