Rumor: Apple planning 'iPhone 5S' and new 5-inch 'iPhone 6' for 2013

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    copeland wrote: »
    I hope that if Apple feels the need to make a 5'' iPhone that they keep the 4'' version too.
    I don't understand the usefullness of a phablet.
    For those with not so good eyesight there is allready a solution to that problem.
    It's been in use for several 100years, tested and found to work.

Actually, zooming in and out quickly often does the job in case you need it. Settings-->general-->assistance-->zoom. Just double tap with three fingers to zoom on and out.
  • Reply 62 of 151
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is it that we had to wait for page 2 and a TROLL to point out that this rumor is IDENTICAL TO THE PATENTLY FALSE NONSENSE THAT WAS SPEWED BEFORE THE IPHONE 4S WAS RELEASED?!

Are you kidding? You have got to be the biggest troll on this site which is ironic since you are a mod. I may disagree with Marvin from time to time but he is always respectful and makes cogent arguments. You on the other hand are abrasive and love to copy only parts of a post and then give short and snarky quips. You never add value to a discussion only drama and insults. You also love to remove posts that point out your errors so there is no proof. Yeah, I saw what you did when you got embarrassed in the Straightalk thread a week or two ago where you supported the guy that said he got unlimited data even though everyone else said he was wrong and provided proof. All those posts with links vanished. No doubt this post will magically disappear as well.

For someone that doesn't even own an iPhone and never has plans to get one you sure have a lot of opinions. No your hand me down iPhone 1 that you use as an iPod doesn't count. 

• Reply 63 of 151
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

A 5" iPhone wouldn't be terrible- I might buy it.  But a 5" iPhone with the same resolution as the iPhone 5 stretched out to 5"?  No Thanks.

• Reply 64 of 151
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You on the other hand are abrasive and love to copy only parts of a post and then give short and snarky quips.

You also love to remove posts that point out your errors so there is no proof.

Yeah, I saw what you did when you got embarrassed in the Straightalk thread a week or two ago where you supported the guy that said he got unlimited data even though everyone else said he was wrong and provided proof. 

Yes on the 2nd and 3rd parts.  I actually had a post deleted by him in that exact Straightalk thread that didn't violate any rules, yet he removed it because it painted him in a bad light and proved him wrong (with sources).  And as for the 1st part... I guess I am doing that now... whoops.

• Reply 65 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Yes on the 2nd and 3rd parts.  I actually had a post deleted by him in that exact Straightalk thread that didn't violate any rules, yet he removed it because it painted him in a bad light and proved him wrong (with sources).  And as for the 1st part... I guess I am doing that now... whoops.

He is always the first one to say that individual or anecdotal stories don't count unless of course he can use it as proof to support his POV then that evidence becomes indisputable. Straighttalk routinely limits data and everyone knows this. Very cowardly of him to remove those posts proving him wrong rather than just admit he was wrong. Glad I am not the only one that noticed those tactics. 

• Reply 66 of 151

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You have got to be the biggest troll on this site which is ironic since you are a mod.

Or maybe it's just wrong. image

You also love to remove posts that point out your errors so there is no proof.

Do you have any proof of that? image

Yeah, I saw what you did when you got embarrassed in the Straightalk thread a week or two ago where you supported the guy that said he got unlimited data even though everyone else said he was wrong and provided proof. All those posts with links vanished. 

No posts in that thread containing any links were deleted. Posts containing insults against members of this forum were deleted.

In fact, contrary to your claim, the only post made by that person that was deleted was in reference to a previously deleted post. Count them yourself. Huddler's post count includes all deleted posts, so it should be 1:1 with the posts you can see. Eight total, seven visible. Roughly all containing information (erroneous) about Straight Talk.

If you really want to be publicly embarrassed about how wrong you are, feel free to start a thread in the Feedback section of the forum, and I'll gladly show everyone the contents of the posts in question. I'm not discussing it further here.

For someone that doesn't even own an iPhone and never has plans to get one you sure have a lot of opinions. No your hand me down iPhone 1 that you use as an iPod doesn't count. 

Now do you see why people call you a troll? You just lie. Constantly.

• Reply 67 of 151

Quote:

Now do you see why people call you a troll? You just lie. Constantly.

What people, besides you and your pal Soli have ever called me a troll? I don't lie, I do make mistake at times and own up to them. You on the other hand have been sharply criticized by dozens of members and probably the leading reason as to why macrumors and 9to5mac have far more active forums. In fact, you used to post there as well but without being an admin on those sites got routinely spanked pretty hard and I haven't seen you in a while. Please explain exactly what lie I told, you were the one that said you have an iPhone 1, if you updated your phone and I didn't see your post then fine. So what phone and carrier do you have TS?

• Reply 68 of 151
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    A new report out of the Far East

Sounds like it's from below the waistline and round the back. It's far fetched at least.
    claims Apple will release both an upgraded "iPhone 5S" as well as a new "iPhone 6" with a larger 5-inch screen this year.

Does this come with a TV, a cheap model and multiple colors too? They can release a big one but I want it in green and I won't pay more than half the price of the iPhone 5. Also, stylus pls.
    That source reportedly spotted two new iPhone models at Apple's suppliers.

Maybe one of the models was just closer. If only they could have taken a picture of this.
    The report said that Apple "may" release both models in 2013.

And why wouldn't they if they're in production?
    As larger iPhones like Samsung's Galaxy Note series have gained traction in the marketplace

Are there larger iPhones like the Galaxy Note? According to Samsung the Galaxy Tab gained traction too:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57490740-37/samsung-tablet-sales-teeny-tiny-next-to-ipad/

They wouldn't be fibbin' about the Note numbers too would they? Nah, let's believe them this time.
    Some have speculated that Apple could launch an iPhone with a bigger 5-inch display by keeping the same 640-by-1,136-pixel resolution as the current iPhone 5 screen. Stretching those pixels out to a 5-inch display would give a lower pixel density of 264-per-inch, but it would allow developers to continue to create applications for one screen resolution.

Good idea, that way the Retina model (the better model) will be older and cheaper. The iPad is Retina at 264 PPI because you hold it further away.
  • Reply 69 of 151

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe one of the models was just closer.

Oh, that's precious!

• Reply 70 of 151

I'm with you gwmac, the way he bestrides these discussions like a playground bully really spoils them for me!

• Reply 71 of 151

Remember all the ruckus and gnashing of teeth when everyone and their grandmother was insisting that Apple needed to release a netbook in order to stay relevant?  Apple never caved to the pressure and instead wound up more profitable and selling more devices than ever.

There's no telling if the same will happen with these new demands on Apple, but at there is a track record to look at.  Apple goes their own way.  They usually wind up on top and earning billions.  The analysts demanding this or that have been proven wrong time and time again.  Has no one learned from history?

• Reply 72 of 151

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Remember all the ruckus and gnashing of teeth when everyone and their grandmother was insisting that Apple needed to release a netbook in order to stay relevant?  Apple never caved to the pressure and instead wound up more profitable and selling more devices than ever.

There's no telling if the same will happen with these new demands on Apple, but at there is a track record to look at.  Apple goes their own way.  They usually wind up on top and earning billions.  The analysts demanding this or that have been proven wrong time and time again.  Has no one learned from history?

These people treat Apple as though absolutely nothing they say can be trusted. They ignore the fact that Apple has specifically pitched their current (and past) screens as being usable with one hand. That's not possible with a larger device. But they couldn't care less, as everything Apple says is, to them, a lie.

• Reply 73 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

LOL

Brightwire read AI forums and saw my posts about Apple releasing 2 models going forward. I hope they really do, i would love that (already said why).

They don't need to do it, but for me (and countless millions) a 5 inch iPhone is a better device.

Agreed a lot of people would like the larger phone and  IMO Apple is leaving money on the table.  However, I really like the 4S form factor, I hope they keep it(but updated). Just my opinion - the iphone 4(S) form factor(love or hate it) is a 'design' classic. Is there anything close?

• Reply 74 of 151
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

...  Now do you see why people call you a troll? You just lie. Constantly.

How is it that you gave me an "infraction" just this week for a very similar personal remark but it's okay for you to say this Mr. Moderator?  

If you need an official complaint to act on, I hereby officially complain that this "Tallest Skil" guy made an out of order personal attack on a member of the forum for no apparent reason.  

To AppleInsider management as a whole:  Please either do something about this troll disguised as a "moderator" or stop penalising the "regular" users of this form for the same thing.  I think we all have thick enough skins that if someone calls someone else a name that it doesn't have to become a big "offence."  

Conversely, if you can't see your way to doing that, then at least be fair and make sure your Moderators aren't the biggest offenders. 

• Reply 75 of 151

Here's the rub, most of the apps I tend to use are either lanscape only or look better in landscape mode when you have a choice. For those apps you will tend to let the phone rest on the fingers and palm of one hand while using your index finger of your other hand to touch the screen. For landscape mode it doesn't matter if you are using a 3.5" iPhone or a 5" Android. For surfing, email, pretty much any game, video, text and so many other non-phone uses of the iPhone it is easier to hold it with both hands. In fact most of the one handed use for me is limited to GUI navigation and selecting an app, but once it is open I switch to two handed use more often than not if that is an option. There are some exceptions like Vine, facebook, and a few more but I would guess at least 70% of my use is in landscape mode.  

• Reply 76 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

How is it that you gave me an "infraction" just this week for a very similar personal remark but it's okay for you to say this Mr. Moderator?  

If you need an official complaint to act on, I hereby officially complain that this "Tallest Skil" guy made an out of order personal attack on a member of the forum for no apparent reason.  

To AppleInsider management as a whole:  Please either do something about this troll disguised as a "moderator" or stop penalising the "regular" users of this form for the same thing.  I think we all have thick enough skins that if someone calls someone else a name that it doesn't have to become a big "offence."  

Conversely, if you can't see your way to doing that, then at least be fair and make sure your Moderators aren't the biggest offenders. 

Well said. I have a great idea for an AI poll question. How many people want to see TS continue his role as a mod and how many people want him removed. I bet it would get a lot of votes. ANother great poll question would be to ask the readers at 9to5mac, macrumors, and other popular forums how many of them stopped visiting AI forums due to the constant bullying by TS. I remember him actually threatening to ban people before the iPhone 5 came out for calling the next iPhone the iPhone5!!! Surely there are other people here that could take his place. If any other mods or the site owner are reading this you guys really need to do something because I think he runs off a lot of people from this site. All of this because he just had to call me a troll earlier in the thread for expressing an opinion. 

• Reply 77 of 151
    AI doesn't read the forums/fora. I think the feedback is here:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/f/12/feedback
  • Reply 78 of 151

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Content of the post in question:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is false actually.  It has to be uppercase.  

Which is whyyour stupid-ass post is crashing anyone who tries to answer it dumbass!

Now that it can be seen publicly, claim, again, that what I said is what you said. Claim, again, that you did not violate our rules, or that I did.

• Reply 79 of 151
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

A 5" iPhone wouldn't be terrible- I might buy it.  But a 5" iPhone with the same resolution as the iPhone 5 stretched out to 5"?  No Thanks.

That's the part of this rumor that makes it most dubious. It doesn't make sense.

Presumably the lower density display would be less costly for Apple, but then the customer pricing on a larger device would likely be higher. I guess this helps their margins. But still.

Seems to me that iPhone 4 and 5 are just about the right size range. Why do people want larger phones? What is the goal? What do you want to achieve with the larger screen? More stuff on the screen or simply a bigger display for games and movies?

• Reply 80 of 151
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    These people treat Apple as though absolutely nothing they s
    ay can be trusted. They ignore the fact that Apple has specifically pitched their current (and past) screens as being usable with one hand. That's not possible with a larger device. But they couldn't care less, as everything Apple says is, to them, a lie.

I like to see it as misdirection. Or. A change of mind.

You are generally against all rumours, which is odd for a mod of a rumour site. That's what I am here for. I don't get the conservative apple followers. Of the "they never released 2 phones a year so they never will" variety. They once never released smart phones or tablets even once per year.

I don't feel the need for a larger screen but some people do. Apple didn't anticipate this, but it there, so why not follow market trends. Also a cheaper phone would be nice.

Y'all can still buy the "normal" iPhone size, whatever that is.