'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 178

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Samsung needs a logo... just not the name glowing in blue. 

• Reply 102 of 178
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Thank you. That's what this is about. But:

Samsung, or its agency, knows its target as low-spectrum sociopaths with enough self-loathing to admire scammers and hustlers.

What next, "Samsung is the anti-Christ"?

• Reply 103 of 178
    I don't like the Samsung ads at all, and I am scik to death of that zombie unicorn b.s. they are running it on. But they do have a point, Samsung phones are preferred by subsection of geeks.
  • Reply 104 of 178
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    igriv wrote: »

Oh stop, this is too deep for you, and you just proved it.
  • Reply 105 of 178
    If those Samsung ads appeal to you then you have not artist in you... Sorry. They are dry and pointless. Yes, on the other hand Apple's latest ads are bad... They're predictable and old... Watching them doesn't make me want to buy anything. Both companies need to go in another direction.

Ads aren't easy to make. Most here will never like a Samsung commercial because they're biased. Apple's latest ads while not great do a good job showing what the iPad can in contrast the ads for the Surface are idiotic and doesn't not show the viewer why they should get one.
  • Reply 106 of 178
    interwebs wrote: »
    I agree. I love Apple, but Apple's ads, while once revolutionary, have, with the minimalist styling, cuteness, and trendy soundtrack, become stale, stale, stale. They're being quite the laggard to not come up with anything new since the Genius ads flopped, and they're letting Samsung catch up with image, if not product. Resting on their laurels needs to end asap.

"I love Apple, but Apple hasn't innovated since Steve died, and now Samsung is winning and analysts say Apple has to chase Samsung and the Internet told me that Apple is doomed because they are resting on their laurels because they keep making stuff thinner instead of more exciting and where's my regularly scheduled breakthrough?"
  • Reply 107 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Positive? You gotta get off that island.

Segall calls them "people" ads. Big mistake. They're anti-people ads, creepy-geek ads. As jragosta says, the demographic that Samsung (and all Android) is after is different in a not so positive way. They are the Technoid Alienated that hates Nature, Families, FaceTime wholesomness, the Liberal Arts, unicorns, everything Apple stands for, including the cool and simple approach to competent design.

Samsung's ads have become little anti-morality plays. Remember the office drama where the file swapper gets credit for the report? In this one, Tim Burton the pretend psychdelicized hipster (who never swallows his acid) contemplates how to to destroy the fantasy lives of millions of children.

Apple should never lower itself to respond to this sleaze.

Yes. Positive.

Everything that you say to prove the idea that these ads are negative is just your fantasized version of life. Some pseudo intellectual montage of what you feel is the real world when in actual fact it's your own emotional rebuke of a certain class of people. You sound like some really old guy whose next statement is going to be, "Get off my lawn!".

Negative is when you come right you and attack people. I see a bunch of young people having fun. Maybe not my kind of fun, maybe not your kind of fun, but I get it, I was there once.

That's Samsung's audience. As I've said before, I think it's a limited audience. It is getting Samsung's name remembered by people, though, and it seems to be working for them.

• Reply 108 of 178

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"I love Apple, but Apple hasn't innovated since Steve died, and now Samsung is winning and analysts say Apple has to chase Samsung and the Internet told me that Apple is doomed because they are resting on their laurels because they keep making stuff thinner instead of more exciting and where's my regularly scheduled breakthrough?"

This sentence hurt to read. Good job!

• Reply 109 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ads aren't easy to make. Most here will never like a Samsung commercial because they're biased. Apple's latest ads while not great do a good job showing what the iPad can in contrast the ads for the Surface are idiotic and doesn't not show the viewer why they should get one.

Now there is a good example of what I feel is idiotic... the Microsoft ads. All that clicking and tapping! WTF!?!

• Reply 110 of 178
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

There are "ads"?

That said it would behoove APPLE to crack open the wallet and let a little more of those billions flow towards advertising.

Oh and those Droid ads scare me. I doubt that's what they were going for? 

• Reply 111 of 178
    The consumers who are swayed by Samsung's ads deserve Samsung products, so what's the problem?
  • Reply 112 of 178
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So you are saying that the most recent Apple ads are the best and most effective ads that Apple has done in the past 10-12 years?

I'm not going to comment on that, because there is no right answer. The type of ads that are tasteful or effective continues to change dynamically with the position of the company (whether it's an underdog of established player), the marketplace dynamics, and tone and message it wants to send, the demographics it wants to attract, etc. ie. today, the "got a mac" ads would NOT be right. Apple has made a concerted effort to avoid all comparisons to other products/companies in tis ads in the past few years, as it should. The type of ad you may like and think is effective may not be the same as an ad that the average joe would respond to. Apple's latest ads have been innocuous, playful, and witty, as well as highlighting feature(s) of it's product in a clear, easy to understand way. I prefer this alot more than the over the top bullshit, half-truths, distortion of facts, and mocking people that buy a competing product thats present in Samsung's ads, but to each his own. For Apple to stoop to this level would be unwise.

• Reply 113 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    There are "ads"?

That said it would behoove APPLE to crack open the wallet and let a little more of those billions flow towards advertising.

Oh and those Droid ads scare me. I doubt that's what they were going for? 

That's why the most recent Droid ads were much softer.
  • Reply 114 of 178

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Why (do you think you know this)? Advertising = desperate for attention. Apple's not. 

If Apple puts out a new ad when they have a new product, like they've always done, and then an ad or so when they start a new service or find a set of apps that their team thinks the world should know about, I think that's just fine. Saves that money for other things.

Apple needs to advertise just as much as Coca-Cola does, in my opinion.

• Reply 115 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Isn't samsung well known for being basically an organization ruled by thieves and criminals? yes, it is.

• Reply 116 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Apple needs to advertise just as much as Coca-Cola does, in my opinion.

Do you really think Coca-Cola needs to advertise? In other parts of the world yes but not in the US.
  • Reply 117 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I think it is safe to say that you are not persuaded by these ads. I don't think it is safe to say anything else.

Oh, I think it is safe to say that large groups of people will find the characters displayed in the Samsung ads to be repulsive.

Sure, hipster doofuses are a real market segment, but for every one you connect with, you alienate dozens of other potential customers.  The only thing Samsung has going for it is that is it cheaper.

• Reply 118 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansky View Post

The consumers who are swayed by Samsung's ads deserve Samsung products, so what's the problem?

Totally agree with you, but Apple could do much more.

C'mon... Android guy Vs iOS guy.

The Android guy with stupid colored clothes, with too much green (simbolizing samsung's shitty screens on the galaxy line), fat but strong, against an well dressed and athletic iOS guy.

There's endless possibilities.

An android tunning car with people making mods (android) against a mercedes class S 65 amg, or a pagani (iOS)...

• Reply 119 of 178
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

So you are saying that the most recent Apple ads are the best and most effective ads that Apple has done in the past 10-12 years?

No, but they are effective. They show you what an iPad / iPhone can do.
  • Reply 120 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Sure, hipster doofuses are a real market segment, but for every one you connect with, you alienate dozens of other potential customers.  The only thing Samsung has going for it is that is it cheaper.

Isn't that market segment already saturated with Android users? Sort of preaching to the choir...well not exactly choir boys...but. Perhaps those ads are intended mostly to attract users of other Androids brands more than they are designed to attract iPhone users although they do compare the iPhone and BB in the accounting department ad but those are women. Clearly they are not targeting feature phone hold outs. Everyone in that hipster market segment already has a smartphone.