'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple

Comments

• Reply 141 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Most people found Justin Long's "Mac guy" odious. Yet adds were considered highly successful. I'd say because it is about drawing attention to products rather than offering likeable characters.

Personally, I like Samsung adds. Even if I don't really like Samsung as a brand.

Actually, I thought those ads worked because Justin Long was just the straight man and John Hodgman's "PC guy" had all the funny lines.  You'd think Mac vs. PC ads would be mean-spirited, but Hodgman's character was kind of a lovable boob, so Apple made its point without seeming mean.

• Reply 142 of 178
    macfandave wrote: »
    Actually, I thought those ads worked because Justin Long was just the straight man and John Hodgman's "PC guy" had all the funny lines.  You'd think Mac vs. PC ads would be mean-spirited, but Hodgman's character was kind of a lovable boob, so Apple made its point without seeming mean.

Correct. John Hodgman made those ads work. Although you only needed to cast a perfect foil for PC guy, and that was Justin.
  • Reply 143 of 178
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Keep thinking that "good enough" is the way to go. It's so easy to be forgotten by a fickle public.

You make it sound like these will be the last ads Apple releases...ever.
    Quit advertising and see how long it takes to be placed on the high shelves.

Ads didn't put them there, Coke paid for shelving location.
  • Reply 144 of 178
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Oh stop, this is too deep for you, and you just proved it.

Yes, deep as in doo-doo.

• Reply 145 of 178
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Isn't samsung well known for being basically an organization ruled by thieves and criminals? yes, it is.

Other well known facts: Aztecs invented the vacation! Dogs flew spaceships! 

• Reply 146 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You make it sound like these will be the last ads Apple releases...ever.

Ads didn't put them there, Coke paid for shelving location.

No... you make it sound like "Good Enough" is all that is necessary.

... and when Coke no longer has the money to pay...  do you really believe that a company would last that long if it didn't advertise... really.

• Reply 147 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No... you make it sound like "Good Enough" is all that is necessary.

... and when Coke no longer has the money to pay...

Don't hold your breath for the day Coke no longer has money. I don't think even monkey boy Ballmer can derail that train.
  • Reply 148 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Don't hold your breath for the day Coke no longer has money.

If you follow the thread....

I'd like to see how long they would remain on top if they stopped advertising.

• Reply 149 of 178
    If you follow the thread....

I'd like to see how long they would remain on top if they stopped advertising.

I've been following the thread, like I said they're #1 and #2. No amount of advertising by Pepsi can change that, just like no amount of advertising by Samsung will stop people from buying iPhones.
  • Reply 150 of 178
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Samsung's ads are beginning to give it a certain type of cachet. Samsung is becoming cool.

What real effect that will have on Apple is not certain.

Samsung is clearly going after a sleaze niche. You want to call that a certain type of cachet, or cool, ok. Who cares about ethics anyway, right?

It will be interesting to see what Segall comes up with later this week when he talks about their ads specifically.
  • Reply 151 of 178

Do you really think Coca-Cola needs to advertise?

…No. That's the idea…

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

And 70+ years old judges are top authorities on "cool".

You can't have it both ways. Either Apple is cool or they didn't have to "apologize" to Samsung and should be financially compensated by the court for the damage done to Apple.

• Reply 152 of 178

One of the earlier posts talked about "consumers with buying power"....  Good point!

I just don't like companies that push their product by portraying buyers (or fans) of other competing products as stupid (standing in line), dumb ("they don't see that the next big thing is already here") and now in their latest "campaign" being old, out-of-touch and being mocked by "hip" tween employees. These "older" or "dumb" people are all potential buyers of other Samsung products now or in the future. Products of other divisions like TVs, computers, appliances. 

If I would be the head of any of these other Samsung 'silos', I'd pick up the phone and call my counterpart in "Mobile": "What the heck are you doing? You pissing off my potential customers. You want me (us) to loose a $2,500 TV or Fridge deal just so you might sell more S III ! ?"   

Back to 'buying power': Call me sensitive but Samsung lost me.

Now - what TV should I get...? Typical First World problem....

• Reply 153 of 178
    robre wrote: »
    One of the earlier posts talked about "consumers with buying power"....  Good point!
    I just don't like companies that push their product by portraying buyers (or fans) of other competing products as stupid (standing in line), dumb ("they don't see that the next big thing is already here") and now in their latest "campaign" being old, out-of-touch and being mocked by "hip" tween employees. These "older" or "dumb" people are all potential buyers of other Samsung products now or in the future. Products of other divisions like TVs, computers, appliances. 
    If I would be the head of any of these other Samsung 'silos', I'd pick up the phone and call my counterpart in "Mobile": "What the heck are you doing? You pissing off my potential customers. You want me (us) to loose a $2,500 TV or Fridge deal just so you might sell more S III ! ?"   

Ignorance doesn't equate dumb. In no way do I think Samsung portrays the people that wait on line as being dumb. Does it seem like the guy holding a spot for his parents think that they're dumb? Does the guy belittle those on line? Not at all. I think Samsung's message is "hey, we know that you guys like the iPhone but we have a device that is already out and might interest you"

Get a Panasonic plasma.
  • Reply 155 of 178

Quote:

I've been following the thread, like I said they're #1 and #2. No amount of advertising by Pepsi can change that, just like no amount of advertising by Samsung will stop people from buying iPhones.

... but that wasn't the argument... and you know it... or you actually weren't following the thread.

As a refresher:

The day Apple or any other company stops advertising is the first day they start on the road to the bottom.

The day that Coke stops advertising but Pepsi continues to advertise is the day that Coke heads down the ladder and Pepsi goes to the top.

• Reply 156 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robre View Post

I don't agree with what I'm about to write (poor logic), but how about this:

"Hey, I 'may' be old and out-of-touch, but if I buy this Samsung fridge, I will become cool and hip.  That's what the ads say."

• Reply 157 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    melmel wrote: »

I don't agree with what I'm about to write (poor logic), but how about this:

"Hey, I 'may' be old and out-of-touch, but if I buy this Samsung fridge, I will become cool and hip.  That's what the ads say."

That's not as crazy as you think. There was a case a year or two ago where a young adult sued a deodorant maker because it didn't attract women like their ads suggested that it would.
  • Reply 158 of 178

... but that wasn't the argument... and you know it... or you actually weren't following the thread.

As a refresher:

The day Apple or any other company stops advertising is the first day they start on the road to the bottom.

The day that Coke stops advertising but Pepsi continues to advertise is the day that Coke heads down the ladder and Pepsi goes to the top.

I beg to differ. How many products do you buy that you've never seen a ad for? Yet you still buy it when you shop. There are a few products that are ingrained into people's minds and are there to stay. Coca-Cola is one of them. No amount of advertising by Pepsi will unseat Coke from the #1 spot.
  • Reply 159 of 178

Quote:

I beg to differ. How many products do you buy that you've never seen a ad for? Yet you still buy it when you shop. There are a few products that are ingrained into people's minds and are there to stay. Coca-Cola is one of them. No amount of advertising by Pepsi will unseat Coke from the #1 spot.

You're right. Companies spend billions of dollars every year for nothing. image

Remain uneducated if you will.

Coca Cola was by far the King of the soft drink world until the 50s. Nothing even close.

In the late 40s and early 50s Pepsi made everything else equal: infrastructure & distribution. Coca Cola began to have a real contender. Then Pepsi started firing on all cylinders with a few of its ad campaigns. Coke and Pepsi almost bankrupted themselves during the Cola Wars of the 60s, 70s and early 80s.

Once the business ends were similar it's advertising that made the difference. Coke will never stop advertising as Jaragosta stated because Pepsi would roll over them like a 300 mph train.

• Reply 160 of 178

You're right. Companies spend billions of dollars every year for nothing. :rolleyes:

Remain uneducated if you will.

Coca Cola was by far the King of the soft drink world until the 50s. Nothing even close.

In the late 40s and early 50s Pepsi made everything else equal: infrastructure & distribution. Coca Cola began to have a real contender. Then Pepsi started firing on all cylinders with a few of its ad campaigns. Coke and Pepsi almost bankrupted themselves during the Cola Wars of the 60s, 70s and early 80s.

Once the business ends were similar it's advertising that made the difference. Coke will never stop advertising as Jaragosta stated because Pepsi would roll over them like a 300 mph train.

I think the moves Coca-Cola made is what put them at #1, and not advertising, like making their soft drinks the choice in most fast food places and restaurants. Do you really think people will start drinking Rum and Pepsi or Jack and Pepsi all of a sudden?