Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 101 of 314
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tzeshan wrote: »

This has been discussed at length on AI.  There are surveys that found that iOS devices consume far more ad impression and video playing than Android device users.  So what do these three times more Android device owners do with their devices? 

That's not even the biggest issue. All these 'smartphone' market share numbers include ALL Android phones - even those that are feature phones rather than smartphone. And, as you point out, all the cheap Android smartphones that are simply used as feature phones.

But, frankly, I couldn't care less. Hyundai sells a lot more cars than Ferrari, but if you want to give me a car, I know which one I'd take.

v5v wrote: »
    So if I buy an iPhone 5 today, how old is the software that comes with it?

I don't remember - something like 6 months. But the point is that you'll get updates for your iPhone. Odds are slim that you'll get updates for your Android phone.

...that Apple, as a company, based on the entire product line, finished first overall. The iPhone 5, taken in isolation and based only on its own merits, finished fifth.

Please explain how that works. More importantly, explain why you believe a company which can't even figure out how to make a web site.
  • Reply 102 of 314
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tzeshan wrote: »

This has been discussed at length on AI.  There are surveys that found that iOS devices consume far more ad impression and video playing than Android device users.  So what do these three times more Android device owners do with their devices? 

Too busy living life to use them.
  • Reply 103 of 314
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

Yeah, the presentation wasn't as slick as what Jobs would have done (who was known to rehearse insanely for these product launches) but then again, I don't judge a product based on the press conference and I would bet that most people here don't either (despite the fact that it seems to be important to the purchasing decision somehow - Always found the Apple crowd odd in that regard).

It will be interesting to see what Apple is going to push out for the iPhone now that they are being forced to rush their product cycle in order to keep up.

Yeah, black is white, white is black.

All you hear from fandroids is how "Apple isn't cool" "Apple is for old people". Talk about koolaid drinkers...

And yeah... "Apple is being forced" and "They're rushing".  I'm sure they're quaking in their (cool-dude hipster) boots.

• Reply 104 of 314
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

I don't think it is the size of the iPhone five that is the problem. I think it's more of iOS. it looks outdated and scale. This is one of the reason why I moved to android. iOS just have a bunch of icons on the screen and this is not enough for me. That shit is way too simple. The user interface need to change.

What would you like to see on the screen instead of just a bunch of icons?

I, for one, am a strong believer in the KISS principle, and am actually very impressed with Apple's ability to maintain a very high level of usability while controlling the degree to which users can get into trouble.

• Reply 105 of 314
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro, end of 2009 or first months of 2010. why?

• Reply 106 of 314
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What the hell is this crap?

It looks 99.967% the same as the previous one, a big, plastic Android phone. ZZZZzzzzzz......

This is what all of the hype was about? image Yawn......image

Samsung is trying so hard to be Apple, it is quite pathetic to even witness. 

• Reply 107 of 314
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Apple have had iOS on devices for years when it was top dog, so the total number of iOS devices in the wild, is still much greater than Android. In a few years you'll see the Android percentages much higher than Apple's. Besides, it's pretty obvious that people with a bigger screen, especially 5" screens, are going to use the internet far more than someone on an iPhone. Ease of use and better battery life on Android will also up their take.

• Reply 108 of 314
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

I Deleted my post I was not to nice.  Sorry image

• Reply 109 of 314
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

6.1.2, about a month.
  • Reply 110 of 314
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

When are they going to come up with some innovation, instead of some minor tweaks to what's already out there?

Yeah, Samsung seems to just copy, scale up/down and iterate. I'm very underwhelmed by this new release.

• Reply 111 of 314
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    The stick that costs $60 to replace if you lose it.

Half an inch more of lower resolution screen.

The device and the 'stick' have a link that if one gets too far away from the other an alert goes off.
  • Reply 112 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yep, and the proof is the exploding number of Android users actually using their phones to access the web.... oh wait!!

Oh Snap!  LOL!

• Reply 113 of 314
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Just a wake up call for Apple that they do not need an 'S' model. Apple needs the iPhone 6 at their next launch.

For people like you, it's the name that matters.

If sammy called this 3s, oh boy... but they called 4! yeah!

• Reply 114 of 314
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

This is probably just a rumor, but I've heard that at Apple's Cupertino headquarters, they have their Apple flag at half mast. I'd also heard that there's finally some stirring about in the CEO's office. Tim caught wind of the Samsung Galaxy S4 introduction and went into a rage about why wasn't the iPhone 6 ready. After being told to calm down and that it would be ready in four months or so, Tim Cook nodded, asked everyone to leave, then put his head down on his desk and promptly went back to sleep. So goes Tim Cook's tough response to Samsung muscling into Apple's iPhone territory. That's the way Tim. Fighting! And to my fellow Apple shareholders... Have patience. Apple's share price might drop to below $400, but don't worry about it. Tim Cook certainly isn't.

First, I own Apple shares, and I bought some of them at quite a bit higher price. So I feel your pain. Apple, however,  is where it is at now due to patience and well thought out execution. When it rushes, you get mistakes like the maps flop. 

Apple's stock price has nothing to do with its performance. Nothing is different now then when it was trading at over 700 dollars a share. Professional traders are pushing the price down for a variety of reasons, including pressuring Apple to do dumb things like borrow money to give traders cash. with Jonathon Ive in charge of iOS, it will be exciting to see what software changes Apple has coming up.

As far as the stock goes, it is proven girls are better at trading stocks because they are more patient then men. 

• Reply 115 of 314
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Just a wake up call for Apple that they do not need an 'S' model. Apple needs the iPhone 6 at their next launch.

You got that right. Apple doesn't need to worry about any new phone for awhile. They can skip the 'S' and just sit back and cruise for another 12 months, and then just come out with the '6', after what Samsung just released. (yawn)

• Reply 116 of 314
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

6.1.2 came out 1 month ago.

• Reply 117 of 314
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    macrulez wrote: »
    I'm guessing the irony of that opening eludes you.

...except, it turns out, user satisfaction:

<h1>iPhone 5 ranks 5th in user satisfaction in U.S. behind four Android phones</h1>

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-5-ranks-5th-in-user-satisfaction-in-u-s-behind-four-android-phones/

Interesting. Of course we'll need a second survey to confirm these results. In addition, the top five are all probably within the margin of error for the sample size.
  • Reply 118 of 314

It's inevitable that Samsung will surpass iPhone sales in the US for good (not just around release).  The iPhone is no longer the cool because everyone's moms and dads have them.  Also, Justin Long, the artsy guy or coffee baristas with iPhone are also no longer cool.  

Samsung has Lebron James, etc....

• Reply 119 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I guess for platform popularity we'd have to look at market share stats, which tend to vary somewhat by seem to indicate an overall trend:

The problem is this uses Apple's Sales and compares it to Androids Shipments.  The only successful Android Maker is Samsung and their numbers don't add up.  They far more phones than the 21 million they actually reported sold between 2010 and June of 2012 in the court documents.  There is a reason they stopped reporting sales each quarter.  The same with Google. Activations are growing yet Apple continues to far out perform all Android phones combined when ever the major carriers report their numbers.  ODD!

• Reply 120 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

I am in the cyber security area, and I wouldn't touch chrom or any other Google product. For example, Chrom, even in private browsing still collects your surfing habits and the places you visited, and how many times you visited, and the list goes on. This information is stored on their servers and with little effort (because you're a Google faithful, you'll at some point would have logged into your Google account) they can tie you with what you did. Scary stuff.

I try to explain this to people but they are mesmerized by cheap or free stuff.