Microsoft wants iTunes for Windows 8; Apple not interested

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft would love for Apple to bring iTunes ? one of the world's most popular software offerings ? to its Windows 8 "Metro" platform, but executives at the Redmond giant say Windows 8 users shouldn't expect a touch-friendly version of the application any time soon.

itunes

Apple doesn't appear to be too keen on developing a version of iTunes that integrates the Modern UI face of Windows 8, Microsoft representatives told CNN this week.

"You shouldn't expect an iTunes app on Windows 8 any time soon," the chief financial officer of Microsoft's Windows division said. "iTunes is in high demand. The welcome mat has been laid out. It's not for lack of trying."

iTunes is available for Windows 8, but the lack of a Modern UI version, otherwise known as "Metro," means that users in tablet mode, working without a keyboard and mouse, have a harder time navigating the program. It also means that users running the none too popular Windows RT are completely unable to use the software, as that version of Windows ? built to run on ARM processors ? does not run non-Microsoft desktop software.

Apple has in the past readily ported its most popular Mac applications to Microsoft's Windows, the operating system on which most computers run worldwide. In the rapidly growing tablet segment, though, Apple is king. Even with Windows 8 tablets grabbing some market share, Apple could likely ignore the platform for some time and see no ill effects.

Windows 8 now has over 60,000 apps available, and users have downloaded roughly 250 million apps in total. Microsoft aims to have Windows 8 versions of all of the most popular apps in the iTunes App Store available by the holiday season.

These most recent app figures and estimations from Microsoft underscore just how badly Windows 8 has stumbled out of the gate. In October, ahead of the platform's launch, Microsoft was predicting it would hit the 100,000-app mark by February, three months after its release. At the six-month milestone, the platform has just over half that total.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 132
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Say , after MS Office is available on iPad ?

(and, BTW, totally useless, because, you know, Surface is for SERIOUS creation work, as opposed to frustrating iPad)

• Reply 2 of 132
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Misleading headline. There is a iTunes for Windows 8 non-touch desktop version.
  • Reply 3 of 132
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I don't see why - excepting technical difficulties - Apple wouldn't do that.
  • Reply 4 of 132
    studentxstudentx Posts: 112member

How the tables have turned. Now who needs who's help?

• Reply 5 of 132
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Port Office to iOS, and port FaceTime to Windws. Cut a deal, MS: You'll both win!
  • Reply 6 of 132
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Something about MS's comment seems off. I can see an issue with having a Metro UI touch version that runs on x86, x86_64, and ARM but I'd think still think Apple would do it if they thought there was a big enough market for it. Isn't MS's app store similar to Apple's insofar that MS also would also want 30% for all purchases through the iTunes for Metro UI app? If that the fine print on the "welcome mat" no wonder Apple isn't interested.
  • Reply 7 of 132

Perhaps Apple will invest $100 million and pledge to produce a touch version of iTunes for an undisclosed number of shares of non-voting Microsoft stock and other concessions and be regarded as the saviors of Microsoft? /s

I don't see why Apple wouldn't want to do this eventually, but there's likely no need to rush to do it right now. I'm actually surprised Microsoft is asking for it, are they getting that many complaints and/or requests from their customers about/for it? It would seem to be a good opportunity for them to push their own service.

• Reply 8 of 132
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Perhaps Apple will invest $100 million and pledge to produce a touch version of iTunes for an undisclosed number of shares of non-voting Microsoft stock and other concessions and be regarded as the saviors of Microsoft? /s

<...>

Yes, the whole deal being announced by S Ballmer, with Tim's (moderately) smiling face on a giant screen ... (NB : credit to Simtub member for the image creation)

• Reply 9 of 132
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Something about MS's comment seems off. I can see an issue with having a Metro UI touch version that runs on x86, x86_64, and ARM but I'd think still think Apple would do it if they thought there was a big enough market for it. Isn't MS's app store similar to Apple's insofar that MS also would also want 30% for all purchases through the iTunes for Metro UI app? If that the fine print on the "welcome mat" no wonder Apple isn't interested.

If there is a cut, then even 5% might be a show-stopper, it might nullify any profit from those users.
  • Reply 10 of 132
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Say , after MS Office is available on iPad ?

(and, BTW, totally useless, because, you know, Surface is for SERIOUS creation work, as opposed to frustrating iPad)

Yeah, no kidding.  I thought Microsoft was supposed to release their "Free" version of Office for iOS by now.  I guess Microsoft is waiting for Surface to take off first.

• Reply 11 of 132
    Microsoft wants iTunes and Apple wants MS Office...I'd say this gets worked out to everyone's advantage at some point.
  • Reply 12 of 132
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I don't see why - excepting technical difficulties - Apple wouldn't do that.

Let's count the reasons:

1. By most reports, Apple has moved almost all of it's engineering staff onto iOS 7, so not many people available.

2. I'm sure the vast majority of engineers at Apple have little to no Windows experience, so it's not like they can just pull people from other projects to work on it.

3. It's a huge undertaking to port an app written and designed for desktop/Win32 (as iTunes has been) to tablet/Metro.  It's not only about getting it to run, it's also about rethinking the entire user interface for tablets.  iTunes wasn't ported to iOS for that very reason.

4. Tablet-only Windows 8 isn't a very large market.

In general, Apple has plenty of bigger fish to fry.

• Reply 13 of 132
    wildspinwildspin Posts: 3member
    How many people are using Windows in touch fashion anyways? it's not worth the hassle IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 132
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Yep. Sorry that its not RT but there is a version which fine on those desktops it was meant for.
  • Reply 15 of 132

I don't see why Apple wouldn't want to do this eventually,

Selling point. Same as not having Office for iOS is a selling point for the Surface.
  • Reply 16 of 132
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    auxio wrote: »
    Let's count the reasons:
    1. By most reports, Apple has moved almost all of it's engineering staff onto iOS 7, so not many people available.
    2. I'm sure the vast majority of engineers at Apple have little to no Windows experience, so it's not like they can just pull people from other projects to work on it.
    3. It's a huge undertaking to port an app written and designed for desktop/Win32 (as iTunes has been) to Metro.  It's not only about getting it to run, it's also about rethinking the entire user interface for tablets.  iTunes wasn't ported to iOS for that very reason.
    4. Tablet-only Windows 8 isn't a very large market.

In general, Apple has plenty of bigger fish to fry.

Obviously there is a windows team in Apple. However you're probably right iTunes is probably in MFC ( or some mid level apple code which compiles to MFC and OS X - Carbon?)

Not in .Net.

So as I said technical reasons.

( on 2 points you are incorrect. The iTunes team probably works on both iTunes on OS X and iOS - videos, music and iTunes already. Apple has functional teams not per OS teams. So that team can't be used on iOS where they already are). And apple has windows experience in iTunes.
  • Reply 17 of 132
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

30% of 0 is still 0. Apple does not charge for iTunes so MS would not take any cut.

Ignore my comment, re-read yours and can see the point you're making.

• Reply 18 of 132
    [quote name="Jordon Eagan" url="/t/157465/microsoft-wants-itunes-for-windows-8-apple-not-interested#post_2324919"] Apple wants MS Office/quote]

They have it. It's called iWork
  • Reply 19 of 132
    Apple wants MS Office

They have it. It's called iWork
  • Reply 20 of 132
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're being as misleading as the headline. ITunes for Windows 8 non-touch is really iTunes for Windows 7.