Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 246
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Is Apple on the road to merge the Air and MBP to one ultra device? Sounds great!

Not for a few years. The Air is good enough for most people.
  • Reply 22 of 246
    This "analyst" appears to be speaking in utter horse shit. Apple pushes chassis design life cycles FAR longer than the MBP has been around. Haswell updates all around and a Retina panel on the Air make considerably more sense from an engineering, user experience and marketing standpoint.

We'll see if he's full of shit in one week.
  • Reply 23 of 246
    andysol wrote: »
    If they add retina to the air- what is the benefit to the rMBP?
    People keep talking about retina for the air- I don't think we see it ever. I think it gets discontinued or they combine before that happens.

Never? Interesting prediction. I'd bet money you're wrong on that prediction.
  • Reply 24 of 246
    irun262 wrote: »
    No 11" MBA sale to me without an improved screen.

Ok.
  • Reply 25 of 246
    oldmacsoldmacs Posts: 81member

Why is everyone so Anti the old Macbook Pro? 

I bought last years model and I love mine. Some people need ethernet and an Optical drive. Apple would be  alienating a lot of people if they got rid of the 13 inch classic pro, because believe it or not a lot of people like having ports and an Optical drive. Schools especially need the 13 Inch Macbook pro, or Apple needs to upgrade it and rename it the Macbook again. 

Seeing as I was upgrading from a 2008 Plastic Macbook, the classic MB 13 inch was perfect. Optical drive, Upgradable RAM, Upgradable Harddrive and affordable. Both the air and the Pro retina are far too expesnive. There is no way that I could afford 8 GB of ram and a 750 GB Harddrive on either (I don't even think the SDD on the air goes up to 750 GB)

• Reply 26 of 246
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    andysol wrote: »
    If they add retina to the air- what is the benefit to the rMBP?
    People keep talking about retina for the air- I don't think we see it ever. I think it gets discontinued or they combine before that happens.

It is ridiculous to say the the MBA won't ever get a retina display. Eventually ALL displays with be 'retina'. It is the future.
  • Reply 27 of 246
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Not upgrading the MBA to Haswell would be a mistake. Ultra-portability is closely linked in users' expectations for a long battery life. Current MBAs don't have very impressive battery life. That's why I prefer to stick with my iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard.
  • Reply 28 of 246
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

The only thing that really seems bad about the Air (compared to the rest of the Apple's Line-up) is the screen.

I mean, it is not "bad", but compared to Apple's line-up and the rest of the competition? I see no reason for it. At least IPS...

• Reply 29 of 246
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I bought last years model and I love mine. Some people need ethernet and an Optical drive. Apple would be  alienating a lot of people if they got rid of the 13 inch classic pro, because believe it or not a lot of people like having ports and an Optical drive. Schools especially need the 13 Inch Macbook pro, or Apple needs to upgrade it and rename it the Macbook again. 

Seeing as I was upgrading from a 2008 Plastic Macbook, the classic MB 13 inch was perfect. Optical drive, Upgradable RAM, Upgradable Harddrive and affordable. Both the air and the Pro retina are far too expesnive. There is no way that I could afford 8 GB of ram and a 750 GB Harddrive on either (I don't even think the SDD on the air goes up to 750 GB)

At the same price points, the air is much more capable and simply better as a Machine. (SSD, build quality, lighter and thinner, more resolution).

• Reply 30 of 246
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Because it's holding everyone back.

Some people need ethernet and an Optical drive. 

I think the biggest test of the rMBP is whether Ethernet returns on this second model. Now, granted, they're adding 802.11ac, so they could very probably put off judgement until the third revision, but if it doesn't come back, that will tell us how many people actually need Ethernet, particularly pros.

…a lot of people like having ports and an Optical drive.

The rMBP has ports (image) and "a lot of people" sure don't need an ODD. They're the minority.

Schools especially need the 13 Inch Macbook pro, or Apple needs to upgrade it and rename it the Macbook again. 

… Schools can buy the 13" Pro. They can also buy the 13" retina. Why, though do they "need" it? Air.

• Reply 31 of 246
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    oldmacs wrote: »

I guess for similar reasons you seem to be "Anti" the RMBP. There are features you want that the RMBP doesn't have so you don't like it and the older MBPs have features you want that most people simply don't have a need for daily. I'm sure there were people that wanted a 3.5" floppy drive long after it was a good technology for sharing files.

There will always be people like you that are slow to change but if you find yourself in that position (we're all likely to be there at some point for some reason) you just have to deal with it. If they do remove the old MBPs from the lineup you'll just have to buy a refurb and keep that for years (clearly performance isn't an issue if you want an ODD), get an external ODD or move to a different OEM. That's all you can do because technology will not stop to accommodate the minority. The good news is the iPod Classic stayed around for a long time so perhaps you'll luck out. It's not like it takes much R&D to update the CPU on those machines.

I don't know of any school that have gone for the 13' MBP over the old MacBook, Mac mini, or iMac. I don't think Apple has ever done an education version of the MBP.

Where are you using Ethernet? Why is the TB-to-Ethernet or USB-to-Ethernet adapters not good enough? How often are you using an ODD? Why are you stilling using an ODD? Most people are wireless these days and only use an disk when playing a DVD or Blu-ray in their HEC. I still use Ethernet at home on my MBP (connected to my iMac directly) but I'll have no problem with using of those TB interfaces for it once I upgrade.
  • Reply 32 of 246

Don't get me wrong, the Rmbp is an amazing computer and if I had enough money I would have a desktop with an optical drive and a retina Macbook Pro. 

I know quite a few schools that bought classic Macbook Pros this year (Classic) as there is a need for an Optical drive, ethernet, bigger harddrives and price. 

I have a Macbook so that I don't have to lug around adaptors and external cd drives. I am often sharing an internet connection to older Macs and there are places that still use ethernet. 

I don't know a single person who has been happy about the lack of Optical Disk drive on Macs.... I use mine all the time for reading Audio Cds, Burning DVDs, Burning CDs with Data, Backup, Watching DVDs ect. 

My point is why people want to kill this Mac? What is it doing- Its not Harming anyone. 3 of my friends bought the same Macbook as me last year (PC converts) as the retina Macbook is way too expensive for storage space. 

• Reply 33 of 246
    I think the biggest test of the rMBP is whether Ethernet returns on this second model. Now, granted, they're adding 802.11ac, so they could very probably put off judgement until the third revision, but if it doesn't come back, that will tell us how many people actually need Ethernet, particularly pros.

Unless they make the back edge of the wedge design thicker to accommodate the interface I doubt it will. I think expect the TB-to-Ethernet adapter to support GigE. I hope that it will eventually support 10GigE over TB but I'm not sure that's even possible without other HW in the MBP.
  • Reply 34 of 246

My Macbook pro was $1200, I upgraded my ram to 8 GB and HD to 750 GB. This ended up costing $1400 

To get a Macbook air with 8GB ram and only 500 GB SDD it is $2000. Plus then (For me at least) there is the added costs of adaptors and Optical drives. 

I don't know about build quality... My friend with an air has dropped hers a few times and it hasn't come out well, one of my other friends has dropped his 13 Inch classic pro heaps and it has come out better :P 

• Reply 35 of 246
    oldmacs wrote: »
    I don't know a single person who has been happy about the lack of Optical Disk drive on Macs.... I use mine all the time for reading Audio Cds, Burning DVDs, Burning CDs with Data, Backup, Watching DVDs ect.

1) Are the old PPC Macs harming anyone? Of course not, so why isn't Apple making those anymore?

2) So you play your music and video off the ODD? :\ That adds sound interference and uses the battery much more than it should.

Pro Tip: Use iTunes to convert and copy your music to the disk and use Handbrake to convert and copy your videos to disk. You'll remove the noise of the spinning ODD and use considerably less power as well as getting your media to boot up faster not have to switch out plastic discs to play something new.
  • Reply 36 of 246

I know quite a few schools that bought classic Macbook Pros this year (Classic) as there is a need for an Optical drive, ethernet, bigger harddrives and price. 

How is this proof that they use any of those? You can basically count out the hard drive capacity as being a reason for purchase right off unless it's some specialized school of music or something.

I don't know a single person who has needed an optical drive in the past three years. And you can always plug one into your AirPort to share between computers.

My point is why people want to kill this Mac?

You're behaving the same way that a scant few people did when Apple dropped the floppy. And ADB, for that matter.

What is it doing- Its not Harming anyone. 

Oh, come on. This isn't anywhere near a valid argument, and there are plenty of rebuttals for it anyway.

• Reply 37 of 246

Yes but the PPC was completly lagging behind the intel processor when they were phased out. The Classic Macbook pro is not lagging behind the PC market. 

Sigh..... I always import my CDs, I should have typed, I use my ODD to import CDs into itunes... 

DVDs aren't really meant to be ripped (Well legally) so I will play them in the drive. 

• Reply 38 of 246

Well currently my school put of purchasing Airs, instead going for pros because of the harddrive factor.... Our Macs are loaded with heaps of software. I don't know how they fill them but our old White Macbooks are almost full (160 GB) 

I know heaps of people who still use Optical disk drives. Back in 1998 the Floppy Disk drive was way too small for its time. DVDs are up to 8 GB, and in very common usage. 

No one has yet given me a reason why Apple need to pull the plug on this Macbook. 

• Reply 39 of 246

The Classic Macbook pro is not lagging behind the PC market. 

So "not lagging" is reason enough to keep selling something? Do you… know anything about Apple?

DVDs aren't really meant to be ripped (Well legally)…

Different schools of thought about that… Some say the use of said software on owned DVDs is fine, but the creation thereof isn't.

Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

No one has yet given me a reason why Apple need to pull the plug on this Macbook. 

"I refuse to listen to the many valid reasons" ? "No one has given me a reason". Come on.

• Reply 40 of 246

I have been a Mac user my whole life, and I am VERY interested in Apple. Yes I know Apple. 

In Australia it is illegal to convert a ripped DVD. (Well an DVD Movie) 

You still have not said why Apple should drop a perfectly good laptop from its lineup. You and others have said why you like the Retina pro and air better but not why Apple should drop it.