Apple to release slimmer Retina MacBook Pro with upgraded camera, insider reveals

Comments

• Reply 41 of 246
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I have been a Mac user my whole life, and I am VERY interested in Apple. Yes I know Apple. 

From your reasoning for not discontinuing a product line, this doesn't show at all.

You still have not said why Apple should drop a perfectly good laptop from its lineup.

Again, yes, we have. You just refuse to accept our reasons. Sounds like someone else here.

I don't figure they WILL until the retinas can hit the same price points while retaining Apple's profits, but that doesn't mean the old models shouldn't be dropped as soon as possible.

• Reply 42 of 246
    oldmacsoldmacs Posts: 81member

Great, my usage of Apple products from an LC 475 to my Macbook Pro is being questioned........ 

Right now the Macbook Pro 13 inch fills an important niche (Well at least it does in Australia) 

You really haven't given a reason why they should drop it- Is it because it is eating Apple's other laptop sales? Is it turning people away from the Mac? Is it cutting into Apple's profits some how? 

• Reply 43 of 246
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    oldmacs wrote: »
    I know heaps of people who still use Optical disk drives. Back in 1998 the Floppy Disk drive was way too small for its time. DVDs are up to 8 GB, and in very common usage.

The capacity of a DL-DVD is a weak argument when talking about data storage. They cost too much compare to SL-DVDs.

Your arguments remind me of people complaining 2 years ago when TV Show uploaders finally announced the move from AVI/DivX to MP4/H.264. A long overdue switch from an old, inefficient codec to a modern and efficient one that is even HW decoded on every modern mobile device which caused a lot of complaints.

The most common complaint I saw was that they could no long burn the AVI to a CD to play in their DVD player. I'd wager you'll see that as a brilliant solution without consideration using a wired or wireless connection right from your device to your TV without burning CDs or DVDs. In the words of Scrooge McDuck, "Work smarter, not harder."
    No one has yet given me a reason why Apple need to pull the plug on this Macbook. 

Sure they have, you just fail to understand technology and think your specific needs are most people's needs.
  • Reply 44 of 246

Hahaha I fail to understand technology lol, thats a funny one. 

If it were just me I wouldn't be saying any of this :P My 'Job' is computer support for PC and Macs and this is a generalised thing from a lot of the people I help. 

You have given quite a few reasons why the other Macbooks are far better products in most ways. But not why they need to discontinue the old one. I am seriously interested in knowing why. 

• Reply 45 of 246
    Great, my usage of Apple products from an LC 475 to my Macbook Pro is being questioned........ 

Your usage hasn't been questioned. The fact that no don't understand that your usage hasn't been contested speaks to the issue at hand of you not really seeing past your own needs.
  • Reply 46 of 246

It just doesn't matter whatsoever to the argument at hand. Yeah, you've used 'em for a long time. That doesn't make you "right" about why you think a model should be kept around, as that's a wholly unrelated topic.

Right now the Macbook Pro 13 inch fills an important niche (Well at least it does in Australia).

You guys have terrible Internet speeds, draconian ISPs, and horrible prices, or so I've heard. I feel for you, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world has to suffer because a minority of Australians can't get away from discs.

Is it because it is eating Apple's other laptop sales?

Why would that be a reason to drop it?

• Reply 47 of 246

Again... This is not just me. Perhaps it is because a lot of the Mac users I know are PC converts and are therefore used to Optical drives? 

• Reply 48 of 246

Perhaps it is because a lot of the Mac users I know are PC converts and are therefore used to Optical drives? 

That could very well be it, but they can get over it all the same. PC converts think a Mac actually need anti-anything software on it, after all. 

• Reply 49 of 246

Why is the rest of the world suffering from Apple keeping the classic Macbook pro? 

You can still go and Buy an air and a retina pro regardless of whether they are selling a 13 inch pro. Nothings stopping you or 'Making the rest of the world suffer'  

• Reply 50 of 246

Why is the rest of the world suffering from Apple keeping the classic Macbook pro? 

You can still go and Buy an air and a retina pro regardless of whether they are selling a 13 inch pro. Nothings stopping you or 'Making the rest of the world suffer'  

And now we're back to the other argument: why should a model be kept around simply because people still use it?

Apple would still be selling Motorola-based Macs were that the case. image

• Reply 51 of 246

I just want to know why people are suffering because Apple keeps a model? 

• Reply 52 of 246
    Again... This is not just me. Perhaps it is because a lot of the Mac users I know are PC converts and are therefore used to Optical drives? 

I was in an office building last week and everybody still used WinXP. Based on that people don't want Macs or newer versions of Windows¡
  • Reply 53 of 246
    I just want to know why people are suffering because Apple keeps a model? 

Stop being an idiot.
  • Reply 54 of 246

Stop being an idiot? 

You have just told me that Apple keeping a model means that  the rest of the world is 'suffering'  why is that? 

• Reply 55 of 246
    Stop being an idiot? 

You have just told me that Apple keeping a model means that  the rest of the world is 'suffering'  why is that? 

The only use of the world "suffering" in this thread is by you. If you can't understand TS's use of "suffer" in this context I completely understand as you've failed to see how your needs aren't necessarily inline with Apple's or orgers. Again, stop being an idiot.
  • Reply 56 of 246

You have just told me…

That was me.

why is that?

Think a moment.

• Reply 57 of 246

Sorry :P Wrong person.

Apart from Apple not bringing the price of Retina Macbook Pros down to match the price points of the classic (Which I thought was more of an issue  with the Retina display being expensive)

I can see what suffer means here........ I'm not dumb.  

• Reply 58 of 246

I have the 15in rMBP. The Optical disk drive is a waste in a laptop, even in PC world Ultrabooks don't have them anymore either. Argument is dead in the water. The only optical disk people should need is maybe a Blu-Ray player for their TV. An external drive for the occasional time you need one is fine and does the job. However, the lack of Ethernet is still a minor frustration point. Wifi may be good enough for most at home or a Starbucks; but Ethernet is still faster, more reliable, and the only way most businesses let you connect to secure data. Unlike HDs and ODDs, it's not going anywhere. Sure I use an adapter, but it's clumsy, and have to be conscientious of bringing it with me all the time. Otherwise this is the best darn computer I've ever used. 

• Reply 59 of 246
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

This "analyst" appears to be speaking in utter horse shit. Apple pushes chassis design life cycles FAR longer than the MBP has been around. Haswell updates all around and a Retina panel on the Air make considerably more sense from an engineering, user experience and marketing standpoint.

Yep. Lets hope she is wrong because what she announced is just tasteless incremental upgrades. 

• Reply 60 of 246
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

This "analyst" appears to be speaking in utter horse shit. Apple pushes chassis design life cycles FAR longer than the MBP has been around. Haswell updates all around and a Retina panel on the Air make considerably more sense from an engineering, user experience and marketing standpoint.

Yep. Lets hope she is wrong because what she announced is just tasteless incremental upgrades. 

What the hell do you want? Yes, tasteless updates to the best computers in the whole industry.