Apple expands WWDC banners to wrap Metreon, adds '7' and 'X' signage

Comments

• Reply 41 of 168
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    Is that a surf wave on the OS X banner? Looks like the next cat is the Sea Lion! :)

People please, how more obvious can it be? 10.9 will be called Sea Lion, hence the wave. :P

Sea Lions aren't Cats.....
  • Reply 42 of 168
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

OSX and iOS won't merge.  iOS will simply evolve and take on the form factors OSX once held.  It'll be a slow transition.

• Reply 43 of 168
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Besides this post, people who mention Sea Lion again should have their IP address permanently banned from AI.
  • Reply 44 of 168
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mactel wrote: »
    OSX and iOS won't merge.  iOS will simply evolve and take on the form factors OSX once held.  It'll be a slow transition.

Sounds like you'll be right.
  • Reply 45 of 168
    ireland wrote: »
    Besides this post, people who mention Sea Lion again should have their IP address permanently banned from AI.

Sea Lion
  • Reply 46 of 168
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a rounded square, for heaven's sake.

It's identical to the Mac Mini, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, Time Capsule, Apple TV, iOS icons, and iCloud widget things.

Holy Crap, @Tallest Skill - so you're saying we're gonna get AppStores for my Time Capsule and iCloud - that'd f*ing rock.

[/snark]

A TV-based AppStore supporting the current AppleTV would definitely rock the casbah.

• Reply 47 of 168
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

Waving goodbye to OS X = 10? Next year onwards it will be OS Xi = 11? Only Apple knows. image

The imagery sure reeks of a rebranding, although since it's Apple you can never be sure. 

It's a "Whole New World" and we have an image of a 7 rushing towards us over an unknown surface/landscape, along with an X over the top of a wave/tsunami of change.  

Almost everything about it suggest change of some kind. 

My guess would be that the 7 just means "iOS 7 shiny & new!"  but ….  

…. the X means that OS X is going to be "free" and they will drop both the revision numbers and disable user control over upgrading by default.  It will just update in the background automatically (unless you intervene), and it won't matter what version you have, it will always be just "OS X" (or xOS).  This would be in line with their recent moves in taking things that users generally don't understand and don't like to "manage" anyway, out of their hands.  

In user land, no one really cares what flavour of OS they are running unless not having it stops them from doing something. 

• Reply 48 of 168
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Mac Pro [B][SIZE=5]X[/SIZE][/B]
  • Reply 49 of 168
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I see lots of people thinking the wave replaced the cats. This is replacing the distant galaxies and not the cats.

There is still one cat name they did not use.. OS X Lynx!!

• Reply 50 of 168
    vokbainvokbain Posts: 15member

It doesn't look like a wave to me. It looks more like a forest of ugly trees.

Edit - Nevermind. In larger pictures elsewhere, it looks like a wave.

• Reply 51 of 168
    Wow very interested new feature on banner seem bigger the building is nice. I can't waiting for apple iPhone are iOS 7 new something so soon yay. Very nice the picture on banner iOS 7 and X seem nice so awesome!!
  • Reply 52 of 168
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

They still have the Clouded Leopard, Black Panther and White Panther.

I don't know if the Lynx counts as a 'Big Cat', and they may have a few issues with Axe.

• Reply 53 of 168
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    7 and x - the most incredible os convergence with 7 times (x7) the performance of our previous os systems. The best and os we've ever done and now the only is we have ;p

Just a bit of fun ;p
  • Reply 54 of 168
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    nasserae wrote: »
    There is still one cat name they did not use.. OS X Lynx!!

Thunder cats! Hoooooo!
  • Reply 55 of 168
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Haha that's great.

Seriously though, is that a tidal wave? Several meanings both positive and negative for x there - is the wave heading for ios7
  • Reply 56 of 168
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    How ironic. It used to be called Sony Metreon, and it used to contain a huge Sony store (the only place I've ever seen an Aibo other than in a tiny cameo in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.") And there used to be a separate Play Station store too.

Oh, and yeah, Metreon used to contain a Microsoft Store. It closed after 2 years, in 2001.

there was a sony playstation store and a sony style store. i live close by ... it was nice to be able to go in and kick the tires on sony products, and i did buy a bravia from that store. both closed four or five years ago.

don't be sad about the microsnot store ... a new one just opened about six weeks ago. it's across the street (ish) from the metreon, in the westfield mall. i haven't been in yet. i can't wait to go spend time in the store and buy windows 8, said nobody ever.
  • Reply 57 of 168
    I expect something new at WWDC... not an iPhone or an iPad, but something new... what else is this a whole new world thing about... also I love these new smiley faces Appleinsider!!!:smokey::D

And Tim Cook loves nature so that's why the Mac OS X banner looks like that. Stop the guessing.

2 Days 17 and a half hours to go. [URL=http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130610T10&p0=224&msg=WWDC]Countdown here[/URL]
  • Reply 58 of 168
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I suppose spreading the word is an end in itself, but I still don't really understand why they're so prominently advertising a conference that has already sold out.  It'd be cooler if they had some covered banners for whatever they're going to announce, then unveil them at the precise time they get announced in the keynote.

WWDC is seriously saturated with both attendees and media, mixed in with the everyday throngs descending on that location. Any attempt at putting up impromptu banners on adjacent buildings during the conference is a Herculean task, made harder this year by subway construction on the block and a major road closure over the weekend (Market Street is being repaved between Van Ness Avenue and Sixth Street).

But more to the point, all the camera crews need a backdrop for their stand-ups, which occur the weekend prior through the end of the conference. Apple's banners are advertising art, eye candy that says little but creates amazing amount of commentary. My wish, year in and year out, has been that Apple will do something with that stupidly big LCD screen on rails perched outside the Moscone West convention center. Since the venue opened it has been used maybe three or four times, and Apple is probably the only act booked that could show the center operators how to put it to its best use.

• Reply 59 of 168
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

They still have the Clouded Leopard, Black Panther and White Panther.

I don't know if the Lynx counts as a 'Big Cat', and they may have a few issues with Axe.

Except they've already done Leopards twice, and Black Panthers are Leopards most of the time anyway.  When they are not, they are basically black Jaguars (also already done), or (rarely) Cougars.  

"Cougar" makes more sense in that it has no unfortunate political overtones, and it's a real species of big cat, although a Cougar is also a Mountain Lion which has also been done.  

Panthers are not really big cats at all, they are misnamed other things. 

• Reply 60 of 168
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    crowley wrote: »
    I suppose spreading the word is an end in itself, but I still don't really understand why they're so prominently advertising a conference that has already sold out.  It'd be cooler if they had some covered banners for whatever they're going to announce, then unveil them at the precise time they get announced in the keynote.

It isn't ofr you but rather the registered attendees.