Apple expands WWDC banners to wrap Metreon, adds '7' and 'X' signage

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

You should be banned for posting a nazi banner. I lost half of my ancestors during WW2, you asshole. You are posting comments like little child as if everything is funny and harmless but in reality most people don't like you.

It's a Nazi Emblem, not a banner. 

But it was probably uncalled for.

• Reply 82 of 168
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

You should be banned for posting a nazi banner. I lost half of my ancestors during WW2, you asshole. You are posting comments like little child as if everything is funny and harmless but in reality most people don't like you.

Here's a clue.

This is not Europe, where many Nazi images are totally banned in certain countries.

So what if he posted a Nazi symbol as a response to a dumb post? Any intelligent person can see that he was not promoting or endorsing Nazism by posting it, and I certainly don't see anybody who tried to offend any ancestors of yours, so your imagined outrage is simply the fabrication of a mind that's looking to be outraged.

Go get a sense of humor, because yours is certainly lacking.

And you're calling for somebody to be banned for posting an image? Isn't that a tiny bit Nazi like?

• Reply 83 of 168
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The one thing that I'd like to see Apple present next week is 10.6.9, not on stage, but as a quiet update. Wasn't that supposed to be released ages ago? Is it ever going to be released, or has Apple completely abandoned it? There are still many older Macs with people still running Snow Leopard on them, and it could use one final update, adding some more iCloud support, as certain iCloud features are not available in Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is still very popular and used by many people, including me.

Don't hold your breath, not gonna happen. The percentage of Macs running 10.6 is dwindling by the day, so if they didn't suport iCloud initially for those machines, what on God's green earth makes you think they'd be inclined to do so in the future? Why would they decide to add even more older configurations to support, maintain, troubleshoot, etc? It's an irrational expectation, and there's no logical reason to assume they would be adding any features to 10.6 at this point, which is a 4 yr old OS. 

• Reply 84 of 168
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Don't hold your breath, not gonna happen. The percentage of Macs running 10.6 is dwindling by the day, so if they didn't suport iCloud initially for those machines, what on God's green earth makes you think they'd be inclined to do so in the future? Why would they decide to add even more older configurations to support, maintain, troubleshoot, etc? It's an irrational expectation, and there's no logical reason to assume they would be adding any features to 10.6 at this point, which is a 4 yr old OS. 

You're almost definitely 100% right, and I'm not holding my breath for anything to happen, as that would almost certainly end up being fatal.

Even if it never gets a final upgrade, I'm still happy using 10.6.8 on a few older Macs. A final update would have been nice, but it's not essential.

There were a ton of rumors a while back reported on many sites (probably like 2 years ago) about a 10.6.9 upgrade, but like most rumors about Apple, I guess that this rumor was also totally false.

• Reply 85 of 168
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Here's a clue.

This is not Europe, where many Nazi images are totally banned in certain countries.

So what if he posted a Nazi symbol as a response to a dumb post? Any intelligent person can see that he was not promoting or endorsing Nazism by posting it, and I certainly don't see anybody who tried to offend any ancestors of yours, so your imagined outrage is simply the fabrication of a mind that's looking to be outraged.

Go get a sense of humor, because yours is certainly lacking.

And you're calling for somebody to be banned for posting an image? Isn't that a tiny bit Nazi like?

Welcome to AppleInsider, where Nazi symbolism is defended, and families of holocaust victims are mocked.

• Reply 86 of 168

The dots behind the "7" banner remind me of the Mac Pro.  This is most likely not intended, as why would it be on the iOS banner, and not the OSX banner.  Just kinda interesting

This is unless, as others have noted, everything points to convergence. The bright translucent colored squares with rounded corners overlapping and showing/creating new colors.  The green/blue wave (it looks more like a forrest to me) being windsept and fluid rather than upright and still.  The "7" over a Mac background.  And, a swath of colors within the "7" rather than a single color.  There is a sense of overlap and convergence, but still separateness to all the elements in the banners.  If that is a forrest, rather than a wave, the forrest takes prominence over the individual trees.  A similar observation can be be made if it is indeed a wave, with the wave being more important than individual drops of water.  Same for the dots.  The perforated like grille patterns stands out more than just the individual dots.

In all of this there is a strong sense of movement.  Compare this with the Google I/O banners which were just solid blocks of color and a watercolor looking washed-out static thick "t / O".  Compare it also to last year's WWDC which was just a scattershot of overlapping colorful app icons forming an Apple logo. The other banners being the same just not in the shape of an Apple.  This year the imagery feels far more deliberate.  Every image has motion.  The sweep of the wave/forrest.  The overlapping squares (unlike last year's squares which were all in a static gridlike overlapping pattern).  Even the "7" against the white background with dos has motion.  The 7 appears to float above this grille/grid of dots, which appears to  slant forward and toward the viewer.  Additionally, they all appear to be in a fog or cloud; the tops of the wave/trees appears white and foggy, while the top of the "7" banner is more white and faded, and the colorful icons appear to float on a cloud of white.

So hopefully this does indicate convergence or integration, while still maintaining distinction where needed.

One other thing.  All of this - the motion, the bright colors, the use of strong bold imagery - all seem to run counter to the super flat black and white rumors we have been hearing of iOS.  IF, these banners are any indication of the design, simplicity minimalism and cleanness are definitely high priorities.  However, the black and white superflat look stated in the rumors and seen in some images with the gloss removed, seem to oppose the boldness and brightness of these banners.  Some of the gloss and 3D effect may be toned down, but this definitely does not look as dull as the muted deglossed rumor photos we have seen of iOS.  Im liking these banners far more than the rumored iOS leaks we've seen so far.    

of course this is all just conjecture, more for fun than anything.

• Reply 87 of 168
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

(offensive material, deleted)

Urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moderator&defid=2205940) :

269 up67 down

(n.)Someone who moderates a chatroom or message board. There are generally five types of moderators: 

1. Asswipe: Moderator that likes to punish members for little or no reason, harasses members and then punishes them for harassing back or questioning them, or is an asshole in general to those around him, not including his suckup friends, who will respond to his powerabuse with: "lol", "pwned bitch", or "wut a fag". 

2. Strict Moderator: Follows the rules by the book, no exceptions. Any rule infraction spotted will be punished, often without warning. Normally dreaded. 

3. Do-Nothing Moderator: Moderator that acts more like a member than a moderator, only intervening in serious matters that require mod attention. Usually ignores rule infractions for fear of angering the administrator or stricter moderators. Usually friendly. 

4. Badass: Best moderator there is. They are fair, and will usually joke around and let things go if the intention of the rule infraction was not fitting with the reason the rule was created. However, if someone is being a total idiot, especially flaming, they will proceed to argue with them for the sole purpose of getting them to make a fool of themselves, often to the point of losing their cool and posting a last "FUK U ALL!!!!!" message, at which point there is muchlulz and the nooblet gets b7. See Winrar 

5. Nutcase: Moderator that not only rarely enforces rules, but often breaks them themselves in the name of fun, or sometimes just out of boredom. Usually doesn't have modship for long, or is constantly scolded by other mods or the admin. Me. 

These are the main five categories, there are several other types and combinations of types out there. 

"Ugh, I told that moderator that he's being a jerk, and he banned me. What an asswipe." 

"That moderator is mad strict. She just suspended six members for spamming just because they had too much chatspeak." 

"Is that dude even a moderator? He hasn't done jack through all this flooding." 

"Haha, this moderator is so awesome." 

"What the hell...? That guy just flooded six pages of the chat away... he's a moderator? Wtf?"

• Reply 88 of 168
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member

Rounded squares are rounded squares. It's foolishness to derive "Apple TV" from the banners.

Well, I like to think that Apple has an eyve for details like that.
  • Reply 89 of 168
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Seriously, thats not a wave. It's a shore/cliff, something like Robinson Crusoe island - the whole new world. And the whole new world is X - OS X. So we'll see a whole new OS X. Seriously new OS X.
  • Reply 90 of 168
    This colored square motif is reminiscent of Microsoft. Not good.
  • Reply 91 of 168
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Except they've already done Leopards twice, and Black Panthers are Leopards most of the time anyway.  When they are not, they are basically black Jaguars (also already done), or (rarely) Cougars.  

"Cougar" makes more sense in that it has no unfortunate political overtones, and it's a real species of big cat, although a Cougar is also a Mountain Lion which has also been done.  
    Panthers are not really big cats at all, they are misnamed other things. 

I looked up the list - and had forgotten that the public beta was called "Kodiak".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_OS_X

Personally, I'm holding out for 'Nittany Lion'.
  • Reply 92 of 168
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Seems to be a lot of questions about what the wave represent.

To me, it seems to be a picture of "AQUA". Not necessarily seeing much beyond that. Though it's an especially dynamic form of aqua.

Surfin'.

• Reply 93 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

This reads quite like the continuation of the joke, except you're YOU, which means you're just a troll.

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

But it was probably uncalled for.

Am I really the only history buff on AI? I seriously thought that the sheer insanity of invading Britain in the state they were in would be the parallel people would draw between calling the next OS "Sea Lion" in the first place.

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moderator&defid=2205940) :

See, I can make links, too.

• Reply 94 of 168
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

Oh NO! The big new feature of IOs is that all numbers will be ROMAN NUMERALS! Dang, that is going to be hard to relearn....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… There's a 7 right on the banner…

Wow!  Apple can't even do Roman numerals right?!!  Stock will tank for sure!  News at XI

• Reply 95 of 168
    abobrekabobrek Posts: 31member
    The wave is for radio and Apple TV... Radio and TV waves
    The graphic found behind the "7" and "10.9" is a speaker.
    Even the "W's" and "M's" of the WWDC logo look like radio waves or sound waves.
  • Reply 96 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

The wave is for radio and Apple TV... Radio and TV waves

The graphic found behind the "7" and "10.9" is a speaker.

Even the "W's" and "M's" of the WWDC logo look like radio waves or sound waves.

Totally wrong, but I really really love this interpretation. That's doing some thinking!

• Reply 97 of 168
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member

I really like these banners.  Best in years.

Clean.  Well designed.  Thought provoking.

We'll see if the keynote is half as brain juicing.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 98 of 168
    Personally, the wave is simple enough to make me thing of the Next Wave of things to come? Could it just be that simple?
  • Reply 99 of 168
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Well, we know it's still OS X. So 10.9. GOOD. Not time to merge yet.

Nice, clean, simple. But still rich and detailed. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Also, can anyone help me fill in the gaps in my plan to lift those two signs for my very own once the week's out? :lol:

You don't know about "Lumpers" do you? :)
  • Reply 100 of 168
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    kevinmiles wrote: »
    Personally, the wave is simple enough to make me thing of the Next Wave of things to come? Could it just be that simple?

I didn't read all the prior posts...

To me. the "Next Wave" of OSX means that anythings you can run on iOS you can run on OSX!

Good for Users, Good for Developers, Good for Apple!