Apple expands WWDC banners to wrap Metreon, adds '7' and 'X' signage

Comments

• Reply 141 of 168
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Wrong, the announcements will be about iRoundedcorner X. Jony Ive will take the stage in his trademark grey t shirt and three day stubble to fawn over the perfectly crafted radii of the new corners which were lovingly researched. The 83 minute video and 17 product demos will show how no other company has ever before created such perfect corner arcs and that these are now protected by aggressive trademarks, patents and copyrights. The conclusion of the keynote will be the public execution of Samsung's CEO.

Is Jonathan Ive overseeing interface design of all Apple software now, or just the applications that are included with Mac OS and iOS?

• Reply 142 of 168
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Is Jonathan Ive overseeing interface design of all Apple software now, or just the applications that are included with Mac OS and iOS?

Seems silly to think that iWork (both platforms) wouldn't look like the rest of the OS on which it runs, doesn't it? Much less the rest of the software Apple makes but doesn't ship on-device.

• Reply 143 of 168
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

So, the coloured shapes look like icons, yes, but they also fit the shape of the Apple TV. And "where a whole new world is developing," to me, sounds like they're opening up development on the Apple TV.

• Reply 144 of 168

Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

So, the coloured shapes look like icons, yes, but they also fit the shape of the Apple TV.

How can so many people (yes, three) be so deluded?

• Reply 145 of 168

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How can so many people (yes, three) be so deluded?

Excuse me? How rude. I was just chipping in with my observations. Sorry, I thought that was this forum was here for?

• Reply 146 of 168

Excuse me? How rude. I was just chipping in with my observations. Sorry, I thought that was this forum was here for?

It is, certainly, but on what were said observations based? You'll have to forgive me; I love to rag on the analysis of Apple invitations and banners, particularly when it's wild and baseless speculation, as was your take. It's all in fun, but I have it come off as serious.

• Reply 147 of 168
    abobrekabobrek Posts: 31member
    The more I look at the banners the more questions I have.

Although as intriguing as the, "Wave X" is, I am much more curious about the, "7" banner.
    The, "Wave X" banner has, "10.9" on the reverse, while the, "7" has no mention of iOS whatsoever. The reverse side of the, "7" banner is exactly the same.

MAYBE the number "7" is MORE than just iOS 7...
  • Reply 148 of 168

Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

MAYBE the number "7" is MORE than just iOS 7...

iPhone 7! Huzzah!

The, "Wave X" banner has, "10.9" on the reverse

Wait, what? I'm finding that nowhere. Where did you read that?

• Reply 150 of 168

Quote:

It is, certainly, but on what were said observations based? You'll have to forgive me; I love to rag on the analysis of Apple invitations and banners, particularly when it's wild and baseless speculation, as was your take. It's all in fun, but I have it come off as serious.

Really? I have to point it out to you? I thought what I said was clear enough. The shapes look like icons, but they also look like the shape of an Apple TV. Now, given that you cannot currently develop apps for the Apple TV, and the fact that the banner says, "where a whole new world is developing," I kinda figured it meant Apple would open up the Apple TV to development - that we would now be able to develop apps for it. Doesn't that make any sense to you? It might be wrong, but it was my take on it. It was not "baseless speculation"; it was based upon what I could see on the banners. It was entirely legitimate.

I'm all for a bit of banter, but you were just being plain rude by calling me delusional, and it's not appreciated. For all you know I might actually know what's being released. I don't, but it doesn't mean you're correct either.

• Reply 151 of 168

Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

That's the reverse side...

Huh. Wonder why that isn't up anywhere that has images of the banners!

The shapes look like icons, but they also look like the shape of an Apple TV.

They also look like half a dozen other Apple products.

Now, given that you cannot currently develop apps for the Apple TV, and the fact that the banner says, "where a whole new world is developing," I kinda figured it meant Apple would open up the Apple TV to development

Banners, unlike all analysts are purported, are hit or miss. There's really nothing to suggest this from the banners.

It was not "baseless speculation"; it was based upon what I could see on the banners. It was entirely legitimate.

Again, it's baseless. Extrapolating something from a banner isn't legitimate, by definition.

• Reply 152 of 168
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    abobrek wrote: »

That's the reverse side...

Now that's interesting because that's definitely not Helvetica Neue Ultralight. I think Apple has made their own version of Helvetica, Applevetica. I wonder if this is just for presentation or if they will change all the system fonts. Maybe it would just take a bit of getting used to after 13 years of Lucida Grande in OS X but some of the text in FCPX looks odd to me.
    darkpaw wrote:
    "where a whole new world is developing," I kinda figured it meant Apple would open up the Apple TV to development

I read that as a play on words i.e "developing is a whole new world" given that it's a developer conference. It does kinda make sense to add developing to the Apple TV at some point but I'd say the controller has to come first, otherwise there's not much interaction capability.
  • Reply 153 of 168

Quote:

They also look like half a dozen other Apple products.

Yep, but how many other Apple products can't be developed for yet? That's why I mentioned the Apple TV. It makes sense.

I'm just going on what I got from the banners. I think I should be allowed that opinion. You can certainly say I'm wrong, but given that you don't know either way, it's a little rude to shoot someone down for having a guess.

Goodnight.

• Reply 154 of 168

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

…I'd say the controller has to come first…

iOS devices… And then boom; the Apple TV platform already exists.

What about this: An Apple TV API… inside iOS. Meaning iOS apps can be given a dedicated "Apple TV Mode", where the whole UI can be painlessly retailored (or redesigned) to suit the Apple TV specifically, just AirPlay the existing app over. Nothing native on the Apple TV (which would require a hard drive, meaning doing something that I want them to do, meaning not going to happen), but the same amount of control it would bring.

Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

Yep, but how many other Apple products can't be developed for yet? That's why I mentioned the Apple TV. It makes sense.

Well, the AirPort family is still restricted to specific printers for AirPrint, I think. Why that was ever the case, I'll never know. 

• Reply 155 of 168
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

• Reply 156 of 168
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member

This is going to be an epic WWDC - signaling major shifts in Apple policies.

- Apple TV gets major upgrade with iOS7. Native Apps. Ad Overlay mechanism - so Apple can provide content for free, and place targeted ads on the device - both when video is playing, as well as by pausing video periodically and viewing ads. Connect to Apple TV with your iPhone, and iPhone will display options for you to interact with the video/ad playing currently - whether you want to click a link and get more info about the product being advertised, or find info about the program, like cast, etc, or even participate remotely in game shows, etc. The interactivity alone will completely destroy all the competition so far, and it will come completely patented, so no one can copy this without paying Apple. The level of interactivity will be of a magnitude never imagined before. This is what Steve Jobs meant by those words in his autobiography.

- iOS7 offers complete screen resolution independence, freeing Apple to offer multiple screen sizes, and resolutions. This will be the signal for launch of cheaper iPhone in September.

- iWatch offers a "Second Screen" to see status of your iPhone - messages/mails unread, etc. Also doubles up as basic controller for AppleTV. For now, will support only Apple apps, no third party apps.

- iPad and iPhone get biometric ID capability.

- iPad receives multiple accounts. Use same iPad across 2-3 people, and still have private access to mails and messages. This will be implemented using biometric capability.

- NFC done right. Hook up minor purchases directly to your Apple Account and credit card linked to Apple Account. Again, authorized by biometric identification. Apple sets up a merchants portal so that anyone can integrate Apple NFC capability and collect money from customers. Apple collects a 3% transaction charge as facilitator. Again, patented like crazy, so that no one else can copy this model.

- Apple moves to 16GB as "base" for all iOS devices.

- Apple clearly indicates move into lower hardware margins and higher ongoing revenues from software, content and transactions. Scorched earth policy regarding competitors - till now Apple left enough room for competitors to play - going forward, there will be much more hardline posturing by Apple - lower prices, much higher value, and impossible to match features.

Anyway Apple shares are languishing as if Apple margins are going to collapse - might as well let those margins collapse and increase volumes to compensate.

• Reply 157 of 168

Originally Posted by macarena View Post

This is what Steve Jobs meant by those words in his autobiography.

- iOS7 offers complete screen resolution independence, freeing Apple to offer multiple screen sizes, and resolutions. This will be the signal for launch of cheaper iPhone in September.

What, the "cheaper", "larger" iPhone rumor crap?

- iPad and iPhone get biometric ID capability.

Why? The hardware isn't receiving updates at WWDC. 

- iPad receives multiple accounts. Use same iPad across 2-3 people, and still have private access to mails and messages. This will be implemented using biometric capability.

WHY?! They want you to have your own iPad. There's nothing wrong with that.

- NFC done right. Hook up minor purchases directly to your Apple Account and credit card linked to Apple Account. Again, authorized by biometric identification. Apple sets up a merchants portal so that anyone can integrate Apple NFC capability and collect money from customers. Apple collects a 3% transaction charge as facilitator. Again, patented like crazy, so that no one else can copy this model.

*sigh* That'd be great. Apple would have to sell it on the back end, though. It would have to be something ludicrously value-added for all retailers that implement it so that they'd, well, even implement it in the first place. 

Imagine a world with no cashiers. Walk into the store, scan the items you want, put 'em in your cart, bag them up yourself (leaving anything you changed your mind about in a bin where the registers used to be, and you just walk out. When you leave the geofence for the store, you're automatically charged.

Apple, legalize the mechanics of theft. People will love it.

Meanwhile, the store's computer knows exactly how much of everything that was purchased, IMMEDIATELY, and can reorder IMMEDIATELY. It can know what moves and what doesn't. The orders are adjusted, and product creators then also know what sells and what doesn't immediately. Instant feedback on new products in test areas. Instant feedback on all products, everywhere. Adjust manufacturing to compensate. Stop entire lines before millions are wasted. 

It's an effing revolution, but it HAS to be done vertically. Apple's the only company that can do it.

- Apple clearly indicates move into lower hardware margins and higher ongoing revenues from software, content and transactions. Scorched earth policy regarding competitors - till now Apple left enough room for competitors to play - going forward, there will be much more hardline posturing by Apple - lower prices, much higher value, and impossible to match features.

They have that now. They don't need "lower prices".

Apple shares are languishing, huh? Screw 'em. Let 'em float.

What in the world makes you think that Apple would ever be a "we lose money on every one we sell, but we'll make it up in volume!" company? They just. keep. raking. in. the. money. There's absolutely no reason to whore themselves out to the people who don't need to have their products in the first place. Never mind that they cannot make enough product as it is. Lower prices will bring an even worse experience to EVERYONE as wait times jump to four months.

• Reply 158 of 168
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Imagine a world with no cashiers. Walk into the store, scan the items you want, put 'em in your cart, bag them up yourself (leaving anything you changed your mind about in a bin where the registers used to be, and you just walk out. When you leave the geofence for the store, you're automatically charged.

No better than that... iPhone has an REM detector scanning your eyes while you sleep when it detects movement it hooks into the real time smartphone brain scanner which goes into your dreams and tracks you purchasing your new rMBP... order is placed overnight and charged to your account. When you wake up, it is delivered to your door right about the time that a subliminal message on your iPhone locks into the dream and causes you to think about getting an rMBP.

• Reply 159 of 168

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

No better than that... iPhone has an REM detector scanning your eyes while you sleep when it detects movement it hooks into the real time smartphone brain scanner which goes into your dreams and tracks you purchasing your new rMBP... order is placed overnight and charged to your account. When you wake up, it is delivered to your door right about the time that a subliminal message on your iPhone locks into the dream and causes you to think about getting an rMBP.

I'm going for reality, here.

• Reply 160 of 168
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Worlds might be a new naming convention for OS X. Maybe they'll start calling them after stars, planets etc. I don't think that anybody knows the name this year ( last year we knew about Mountain Lion as far as I remember)