Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Comments

• Reply 301 of 464
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    If I had wanted a washed out, cheap-looking plastic UI, I would have gone out and bought a Galaxy moths ago...I didn't... AND, I won't be upgrading to one either !!!!
  • Reply 302 of 464
    spacerays wrote: »

To put the dates on them, I had my 1st hackintosh in 2010, on an HP DV6516TX laptop. Got the iMac in Sep 2011. Self learned iOS from Aug 2012, after graduation. Became an iOS developer in a startup in Feb 2013. It's Jul 2013 now.

Did you really think that ahead, err, far back?

LOL. Amateurs. :) I was writing Newton apps back when Apple made a pen-based tablet the size of a Galaxy Note.

No, but seriously, welcome new developers! It's a good sign when Apple has a thriving, growing developer base.
  • Reply 303 of 464
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djr12 View Post

...to the ubiquitous boring white background...

To think, the background is only as "boring" as the picture YOU choose to put there.

Apple can't help it if your life is so meaningless and "boring" you can't think of anything likeable you'd put there.

• Reply 304 of 464
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I love the California Culture reference and the tongue-in-cheek Sea Lion chuckle. Yet, California is rich in words that don't coincide with Top Gun and thus Maverick gives people that impression.

They could have called it OS X Rebel and people would complain about a homage to James Dean. I was half expecting OS X Venice, OS X Malibu, OS X Yosemite, etc., after the Big Wave reference.

Interesting...  There probably are a lot of people who think they are paying homage to a Top Gun character.  If so, they will be quite surprised to learn what Apple is actually referring to!  Mavericks really is a beautiful (and appropriate) metaphor!

I wouldn't be surprised if Yosemite makes the cut for a future release.  Apple will have a lot of fun with this naming convention and there are so many incredible places in California that they can name their software after.

• Reply 305 of 464
    chadmatic wrote: »
    Minimal, clean and transparent come to mind before "flat".  And because of this new design, the overall look and feel becomes more dimensional, vibrant and exciting!

I don't see the "Pastel Colors" that some here are referring to, maybe they are confused by the colors in the wallpaper or the icons that permeate through the opaque background.

I see pastels, but that's because Macs have used pastels since, I dunno, the first color Macs in the late 1980s? Windows UI's had much more saturated hues than Macs, and it was intentional.
  • Reply 306 of 464
    djr12 wrote: »
    Too bad you don't get to decide whose opinions aren't welcome. I've been a die-hard Apple user since my first Mac in 1991. I've never bought another computer brand in my life. I've never owned another brand of smart phone. And iOS 7 is the first iOS that I won't be upgrading to. There are some interesting (if not essential) features, but the design this article calls "colorful," I call garish. It's utterly, utterly horrible, from the icons to the font to the ubiquitous boring white background. I have no love for the much-derided skeumorphism, but give me that anyday over constant, incessant, boring white. And their photos on apple.com present it all on a white phone! Bad idea. This OS is easily the worst looking product to emerge from Apple since I've been using their stuff.  

I'll bite the bait ;)
    So... What should iOS 7 look more like?
  • Reply 307 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's hilarious.

Also hilarious: snippy retorts based on the premise that I had even been around to read the post before you'd edited it, nay, before right now, coming back to the thread to read your reply that you'd edited it. Love it.

Just to make it simpler (unless of course you actually want to go back through my entire post history), could you show me where in this thread I've been trolling?

• Reply 308 of 464
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by djr12 View Post

Too bad you don't get to decide whose opinions aren't welcome. 

Yeah, we do.

I've been a die-hard Apple user since my first Mac in 1991.

Literally no one cares.

And iOS 7 is the first iOS that I won't be upgrading to.

Enjoy missing out willfully.

This OS is easily the worst looking product to emerge from Apple since I've been using their stuff.  

You clearly hit your head sometime in the interim or just weren't around for System 8. Though it could be said the pinstriping in 10.1 was, well…

• Reply 309 of 464
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nice to know that you just keep trolling. Also, the standard Seel O' Quabity:

I'm flattered by your constant attention, but also curious:  Have you ever gone a week without stooping to ad hominems?

• Reply 310 of 464
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Obviously with design being subjective people will have their opinions on the look of the UI, app icons etc. But I don't think anyone can deny that iOS 7 brings badly needed functionality to the OS like quick toggles for commonly used settings, allowing Siri to change settings, bringing notification center to the lock screen, etc. The question I have is, why didn't Scott Forstall bring us this? Presumably it's the same software engineers/designers working on iOS 7 that worked on previous versions. Why were Ive and Federighi able to deliver this but not Forstall?
  • Reply 311 of 464
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see pastels, but that's because Macs have used pastels since, I dunno, the first color Macs in the late 1980s? Windows UI's had much more saturated hues than Macs, and it was intentional.

So all these people were whining about how iOS 7 was going to look like Windows 8. Now they're complaining because of Apple's use of pastels. I honestly don't think there's anything Apple could have done that they wouldn't have complained about.
  • Reply 312 of 464
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I'm flattered by your constant attention, but also curious:  Have you ever gone a week without stooping to ad hominems?

Ever gone a post without trolling? Hint: our answers aren't the same.

• Reply 313 of 464
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    Apple needs to drop the obnoxious claims of ripoffs if they're going to engage in hypocrisy and patent trolling.
    [/quote]

Android only exists because of APPLE!

There would be no Android if there weren't for Apple showing them the way & giving them and Samscum something to copy!

Kia & Ferrari both make cars, both have doors, tires, but HUGE difference between the two! Look closely you might figure out there not quite the same!
  • Reply 315 of 464
    That's hilarious.

Just to make it simpler (unless of course you actually want to go back through my entire post history), could you show me where in this thread I've been trolling?

Your silence is telling.
  • Reply 316 of 464
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Large parts of iOS 7 are very similar indeed to Windows Phone.  This is obvious.  

Bullshit.

Show us one persuasive example.

What an idiotic post.

• Reply 317 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Based on those standards, can we have Tallest Skil banned as well?

In your dreams....

• Reply 318 of 464
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

My first observation (and a personal UI pet peeve) is that the design is not consistent about the use of icon labels, and picked the worst place to leave them out.  New, casual, or non-computer-savvy users often never use a button because they're not sure what it does.

For example, look below at the control center.  What's the crescent moon for?   Night display mode?  Put the device to sleep?   Hard to tell.  Is the second icon from the bottom left a timer?   That's my first guess, but perhaps it's where you set the display turn-off delay.

Interestingly, they did label the Air Drop and Air Play icons (presumably because most people won't recognize those icons at all).   Other windows also have labeled icons.  And of course, the icons used on bottom tab menus are labeled.  The control center is an aberration.

• Reply 319 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I understand that your comment was made in jest due to you being handed your ass by him on a number of occasions but, to answer your questions in all seriousness, it's because he does one other thing that both you and the other poster do not:

He contributes.

As TS would say "citation needed" lol

No citation needed.

He certainly contributes way more than your passive-aggressive pap.

• Reply 320 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Consistency is the sign of a great UI designer.

My pet peeve is that they picked the worst place to leave out icon labels.  New, casual, and non-computerized users often never use a button because they're not sure what it does.

For example, look below at the control center.  What's the crescent moon for?   Night display mode?  Put the device to sleep?   Hard to tell.  Is the second icon from the bottom left a timer?   That's my first guess, but perhaps it's where you set the display turn-off delay.

Interestingly, they did label the Air Drop and Air Play icons (presumably because most people won't recognize those icons at all).   And of course, the icons used on bottom tab menus are labeled.

Um.... I could be wrong, but I understood the one in the middle -- "no icons labeled" -- as the ones you choose to put in there. Assuming you know what you're doing....