Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Comments

• Reply 341 of 464
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Interesting...  There probably are a lot of people who think they are paying homage to a Top Gun character.  If so, they will be quite surprised to learn what Apple is actually referring to!  Mavericks really is a beautiful (and appropriate) metaphor!

I wouldn't be surprised if Yosemite makes the cut for a future release.  Apple will have a lot of fun with this naming convention and there are so many incredible places in California that they can name their software after.

San Fran is still my favorite place to live.

• Reply 342 of 464
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Can we take Sir Jony's knighthood back now?

Straight from the Hello Kitty design manual image

• Reply 343 of 464
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Wrong yet again. You lose, thanks for playing.

Move along now TROLL
  • Reply 344 of 464
    Anybody else notice that it runs on all FaceTime devices except the iPod touch 4th generation?
  • Reply 345 of 464
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As you move an iPhone in your hand, a new parallax feature will actually move the wallpaper in the background, allowing users to "see behind" the icons on their home screen.

I predicted the parallax feature last night in this post on MacRumors. The UI group "tat" (The Astonishing Tribe) that Blackberry brought on board for OS10, demonstrated the idea back in 2009:

Quote:

Swiping between open applications is now a full-screen affair, offering users a larger preview of the application as it is currently open.

Love it.  Thank goodness Palm didn't patent this WebOS feature, and prevent others from using it.

Quote:

New AirDrop functionality will allow users to quickly share content with friends nearby with peer-to-peer Wi-Fi. AirDrop will be supported on the iPhone 5, fourth-generation iPad, iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod touch.

"No need to wander around the room bumping your phone with others," Federighi joked.

What's the difference between this and Samsung "Share Shot" or "Group Cast" on the GS3 ?

(There's no need to bump on Samsung devices either.  That NFC method is just the quickest way to share without any setup at all.)

• Reply 346 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

My first observation (and a personal UI pet peeve) is that the design is not consistent about the use of icon labels, and picked the worst place to leave them out.  New, casual, or non-computer-savvy users often never use a button because they're not sure what it does.

For example, look below at the control center.  What's the crescent moon for?   Night display mode?  Put the device to sleep?   Hard to tell.  Is the second icon from the bottom left a timer?   That's my first guess, but perhaps it's where you set the display turn-off delay.

Interestingly, they did label the Air Drop and Air Play icons (presumably because most people won't recognize those icons at all).   Other windows also have labeled icons.  And of course, the icons used on bottom tab menus are labeled.  The control center is an aberration.

The moon is to toggle "Do not disturb" off and on, came out on iOS6.  Its the same icon in the settings now. 

• Reply 347 of 464
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

The moon is to toggle "Do not disturb" off and on, came out on iOS6.  Its the same icon in the settings now. 

Aha, thank you!   (Googling around shows the moon icon has confused other people.  It's not a super intuitive graphic without explanation.)

• Reply 348 of 464

Quote:

Aha, thank you!   (Googling around shows the moon icon has confused other people.  It's not a super intuitive graphic without explanation.)

Looks pretty well labeled to me, I love this feature.   

• Reply 349 of 464
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Remember this little lesson I've learned 'people love to complain'. I saw a beautifully done OS today. Sure they borrowed a bit from here and a bit from there and I don't see anything wrong with that. Good ideas are meant to be shared.
    The worst is all those who whined and moaned that iOS needed new features not a fresh coat of paint. Well iOS did get new features yet what are people complaining about? The app icons look ugly/too cartoonish. :rolleyes:

Lets see, since Apple pretty much removed most of the skeuomorphism and a lot of the UI is flatter maybe they decided to keep the app icons more friendly and playful so the UI didn't look too clinical/sterile. And perhaps some of the icons will be refined or changed prior to release. You can be sure if the icons were white with a colors background everyone would be screaming Windows 8. For me I don't really care about the icons because I put them all in folders anyway.
  • Reply 350 of 464
    I have been playing around with iOS 7 pn my iP4S and iP5 for about an hour...

My biggest problem is that I seldom use the iPhone except for phone calls -- a combination of old eyes and fat fingers...

The biggest complaints about the UI display are overblown, IMO -- and result from the wallpaper and font size that Apple used in the demo.

I guess they picked the light, airy pastel wallpaper because it shows off the parallax 3D effect -- and the font size because it showed better in the large projected screen.

Not to worry -- you can change both and the text choice is system-wide.

A more robust wallpaper, like a picture of your pet, works much better with the new icons and transport overlays like the Control Center.

The system-wide text sizing gives a familiar, comfortable feeling... I like that!
  • Reply 351 of 464
    Well the design snobs at the Verge have spoken and call iOS 7 simply confusing. I didn't click on the article knowing it was just click bait (unfortunately the Verge is going that way now). But I do wonder how much time they've has to play with it or if its just a knew jerk reaction based on the different app icon designs? I haven't used Windows 8 but I know people who have and they say once you've used it for a while you start to like it and its not confusing at all. I think too many are making snap judgements about iOS 7 without spending enough time with it.
  • Reply 352 of 464
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Earlier today I was impressed by iOS7.  That was before I downloaded and installed it.  

All I can say is that minimalism for the sake of minimalism is just as big a design mistake as the skeuomorphic designs that Ive dislikes so much.  There are actual usability reasons for some choices, and just because those reasons are not immediately evident does not make them wrong.  

IOS has some glaringly design based choices that impact usability in very negative ways.  It is as if someone enamored with a design principle forgot that the device has to be used by real people.  And real people don't all have 20 / 20 vision.  Real people have differences in how they process visual stimuli.  Real people need certain kinds of cues within a visual field to properly parse and understand the information therein.  IOS7 skews so harshly to the minimal that it actually degrades the first and primary purpose of a software UI: helping the user derive value from the services it provides.  

Jonathan Ive: shadows and texture are not evil.  Sometimes the are useful visual devices which help to segment the visual field in ways that make the important information stand out, and the less important information recede.  For example, the drop shadow behind icons and fonts on the home screen of previous versions is a visual device to enhance contrast between the icons / text and the background.  This is necessary because as a designer you cannot know what a user is going to put back there.  IOS7 does away with both, and the result is that even at the default settings - default wallpaper and default font size - it is very difficult for someone with ven slightly reduced vision - aged eyes for example - to read the text at all, and it is also very hard to discern between the edge of some icons and the background.  By reducing the visual tension in the design - making elements harmonious - Apple actually made the display harder to use and less effective at doing its primary job.

This falls into a broad category that can be called 'figure / ground disambiguation'', and IOS7 offends in this area all over the place - it is a running issue.  IOS7 makes liberal use of automatic changes to the color of fonts in applications.  In some apps the font will be yellow, in others green, in some blue, etc.  In many instances, the contrast offered between figure and ground with these choices is so bad that the fonts are almost unreadable.  This is true of notes, for example, where the light yellow font virtually disappears against the white background of the app.  It is true of many of the other apps to greater or lesser degrees.  And while we are at it, why exactly is the core OS changing the color of my control fonts in every application anyway?  What purpose does that behavior serve?  How does it make the user's experience of the platform more consistent and discoverable?  Id does not.  What it does is make it harder for me as a user to discern the visual target i'm interested in because its attributes keep changing.  The purpose of the top bar in apps, and its distinct appearance, is exactly that: a distinct control area that a user can quickly ascertain and manipulate.  IOS7 has degraded that to the point that it is often not immediately evident, when looking at the display, where control points even are.

I'm very unimpressed with this.  I think that some of the new features are cool, but overall I see a lot of this as little more than an effort to establish design over function.  I dislike it very much.

And why is universal find now gone entirely?  Where the heck did it go?

If IOS7 is allowed to make its way onto consumer's devices as it presently is, there is a good chance that it will puncture the company's stock value, and the value of its offerings, in an irreparable way.

• Reply 353 of 464
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Is that a torch app bottom left?

• Reply 354 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Earlier today I was impressed by iOS7.  That was before I downloaded and installed it.  

All I can say is that minimalism for the sake of minimalism is just as big a design mistake as the skeuomorphic designs that Ive dislikes so much.  There are actual usability reasons for some choices, and just because those reasons are not immediately evident does not make them wrong.  

IOS has some glaringly design based choices that impact usability in very negative ways.  It is as if someone enamored with a design principle forgot that the device has to be used by real people.  And real people don't all have 20 / 20 vision.  Real people have differences in how they process visual stimuli.  Real people need certain kinds of cues within a visual field to properly parse and understand the information therein.  IOS7 skews so harshly to the minimal that it actually degrades the first and primary purpose of a software UI: helping the user derive value from the services it provides.  

Jonathan Ive: shadows and texture are not evil.  Sometimes the are useful visual devices which help to segment the visual field in ways that make the important information stand out, and the less important information recede.  For example, the drop shadow behind icons and fonts on the home screen of previous versions is a visual device to enhance contrast between the icons / text and the background.  This is necessary because as a designer you cannot know what a user is going to put back there.  IOS7 does away with both, and the result is that even at the default settings - default wallpaper and default font size - it is very difficult for someone with ven slightly reduced vision - aged eyes for example - to read the text at all, and it is also very hard to discern between the edge of some icons and the background.  By reducing the visual tension in the design - making elements harmonious - Apple actually made the display harder to use and less effective at doing its primary job.

This falls into a broad category that can be called 'figure / ground disambiguation'', and IOS7 offends in this area all over the place - it is a running issue.  IOS7 makes liberal use of automatic changes to the color of fonts in applications.  In some apps the font will be yellow, in others green, in some blue, etc.  In many instances, the contrast offered between figure and ground with these choices is so bad that the fonts are almost unreadable.  This is true of notes, for example, where the light yellow font virtually disappears against the white background of the app.  It is true of many of the other apps to greater or lesser degrees.  And while we are at it, why exactly is the core OS changing the color of my control fonts in every application anyway?  What purpose does that behavior serve?  How does it make the user's experience of the platform more consistent and discoverable?  Id does not.  What it does is make it harder for me as a user to discern the visual target i'm interested in because its attributes keep changing.  The purpose of the top bar in apps, and its distinct appearance, is exactly that: a distinct control area that a user can quickly ascertain and manipulate.  IOS7 has degraded that to the point that it is often not immediately evident, when looking at the display, where control points even are.

I'm very unimpressed with this.  I think that some of the new features are cool, but overall I see a lot of this as little more than an effort to establish design over function.  I dislike it very much.

And why is universal find now gone entirely?  Where the heck did it go?

If IOS7 is allowed to make its way onto consumer's devices as it presently is, there is a good chance that it will puncture the company's stock value, and the value of its offerings, in an irreparable way.

I agree about the visual clarity of having shadows. It improves contrast, and makes the icons stand out. I also think the thinner font, while more stylish, makes it harder to see things at a glance at smaller point sizes. But contrast is very important. My biggest beef in iOS 6 Maps for example, is how small residential streets are almost impossible to see at a glance at certain zoom levels: they're rendered in white with hairline thin light gray outlines (on the iPhone 5) against a faint, almost pastel yellow. Low contrast creates some usability concerns for me. You would not, for example, render a car or airplane instrument panel with colors like this.

I plan to load a dark background photo or image onto iOS 7 when I get it, and hopefully that mitigates the lack of contrast in Springboard.

Spotlight search is still there. Just in a different place. I read that on another web site.

I predict most people will be pretty happy with iOS 7, despite these issues. If it's a universal complaint, Apple can always tweak it, so be sure to tell them, not just post about it on these forums.

• Reply 355 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well the design snobs at the Verge have spoken and call iOS 7 simply confusing. I didn't click on the article knowing it was just click bait (unfortunately the Verge is going that way now). But I do wonder how much time they've has to play with it or if its just a knew jerk reaction based on the different app icon designs? I haven't used Windows 8 but I know people who have and they say once you've used it for a while you start to like it and its not confusing at all. I think too many are making snap judgements about iOS 7 without spending enough time with it.

It's only a failure when Apple does it.

• Reply 356 of 464
    It's only a failure when Apple does it.
    Well the Verge has their head so far up Google's ass I'm not surprised they're hating on it.
  • Reply 357 of 464
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

What's the crescent moon for?  

DO NOT DISTURB

• Reply 358 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The most glaring thing I see is the new "Slide to Unlock" that doesn't include an image of a slider. To new users it doesn't make any sense.

Similarly the unlabeled icons in the control center KDarling mentioned.

Then there's the hidden spotlight search.

All of those changes make the OS more beautiful but at the same time more confusing.

Why bother, patents are useless and worthless, there was this Buster Keaton movie where he had one like that, of course there was no sound then and it was grainy black and white, but it was definitely just sort of like that.

Android is open source, Google is against software patents (unless they suit their interests) anyone is free to take anything they want, just acknowledge it in the license agreement.

Apart from Google's patenting of notifications, where they specify persistent icons in the task bar indicating the presence of said notifications.

Too bad Apple does not use that specific method or you might have a point. 

• Reply 359 of 464

Quote:

What's the difference between this and Samsung "Share Shot" or "Group Cast" on the GS3 ?

(There's no need to bump on Samsung devices either.  That NFC method is just the quickest way to share without any setup at all.)

I don't know, maybe Samsung will release an ad that explains it instead of bumping phones together all the time.

• Reply 360 of 464
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I don't recall the incident. Link?

I'm not surprised you don't recall the time you contributed. image

And do your own f*cking homework, son.

I ain't your mummy.