Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Comments

• Reply 141 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

It is not "flat" (notice the quotes) in the sense that many people were predicting it to be. For instance, I think it's foolish to lump it in with Windows and Gmail's design cues.

Basically, what was removed was gloss and skeuomorphism and was replaced with an emphasis with being "clean". You'll notice the word "flat" was never uttered.

I don't care what word they used to describe it on stage.  It's very much clean, non-glossy, lacking in skeuomorphism, and bright.  But it's also flat.

• Reply 142 of 464
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

I watched the keynote on my big-screen (via Apple TV).  love, Love, LOVE the fact that Apple is finally simplifying and basically cleaning up the interface.  Really like 1) Control Center, 2) the fact that a group can have multiple "pages" to hold more than 12 apps, 3) auto-updating apps, and 4) the new left-to-right gesture and all that it will bring.  Just looks like a great update to me.  Anxiously waiting for fall.

I watched on a very big screen via Apple TV too, perfect.

• Reply 143 of 464
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, you're a troll and whining about it on an Apple site. There's the outrage. Shut up and go away.

Outrage is bad for your health. Hopefully the troll brigade's frothing derangement will speed their release from their unhappy lives.

If they want to be among friends, they can wander over to CNET, where Apple and Apple owners are blamed for 9/11 and the holocaust.

• Reply 144 of 464
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    It seems iOS 7 was tailored for the white iPhone.. Too much white in too many places..
  • Reply 145 of 464

Quote:

All together now: SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.

Well, it's nice to know we're not allowed to not like it.

• Reply 146 of 464
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

Apple's new web pages on iOS7
  • Reply 147 of 464
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Wow, lots of mixed opinions in my head. Some bits looks really nice, other bits looks awful. Sadly a lot of it also looks stolen from Win Phone and Android.

What was stolen? Be specific with images.

• Reply 148 of 464
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    That might just sell a lot of white phones....
  • Reply 149 of 464
    Bec
    bradpro wrote: »
    Why pastel colors? As an adult, I was hoping for something more sophisticated and less like a ~$500 coloring book. I'll wait and see how this looks in person.

In the meantime...Kids will love it!

Because they used pastel backgrounds. It looks like the coloring basically draws from the wallpaper.
  • Reply 150 of 464
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I don't care what word they used to describe it on stage.  It's very much clean, non-glossy, lacking in skeuomorphism, and bright.  But it's also flat.

I respectfully disagree.  Windows 8 is flat.  IOS7 is refined, and clean, but it has depth.  It is subtle, but for example, icons do have a drop shadow.  There is very minimalistic use of texture.  There are still organic shapes.  There is depth in the layering of elements.  Personally, I think it is thoughtful and very well done.  I think there are some aspects that some people will really have to get used to.  But overall, I think it is an improvement.

• Reply 151 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Be sure to check out the camera when Phil Schiller said "Apple can't innovate, my ass."

Camera pans to Woz a few seconds later LMAO.

Epic

Already in conversation with a pro user (cinematography) who wanted a bigger tower with more internal expansion. Claiming form over function. His need though, was for about 11 boards.

• Reply 152 of 464
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodstockAEB View Post

Well, it's nice to know we're not allowed to not like it.

You're allowed to not like it. But you've gone beyond that and have posted incorrect info, calling it a watered-down Windows Phone, when that's asinine as they look nothing alike.

• Reply 153 of 464
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member

Quote:

Waah waah.

Eric Schmidt, please get off our website.

lol.

Well, you're a troll and whining about it on an Apple site. There's the outrage. Shut up and go away.

Enough, Tallest, enough. You think you are just a smartass who can yes-man anything Apple does and no one else can say otherwise! Very unbiased for an admin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

In this thread, we'll hear from a bunch of non-designers who have poor taste and could never design anything themselves and who don't at all properly represent the mainstream public complain endlessly about "poor design". 

Sigh.

Is that so? How much can you say about anything on design then, while representing the "mainstream public"?! This is the mainstream public speaking up. The average guy who buys most of the iPhones and iPads for their simple, easy to use, beautiful UI. Unlike the self-defined 'critics', 'fans', 'experts' and other crappers out here. Respect the various opinions out there. To agree or not is a different matter.

No one needs a paper degree or portfolio to prove a sense of design. Any human being can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Here's our first Samsung paid shill posting straight from Korea.

Lol, racist. Cant say more. The Koreans say hi. Not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Side note-

Welcome all brand-new posters with less than 10 posts to tell everyone how much the new iOS sucks.  We all really value your input.

And who cares more about that value anymore than you can.

Yes I am pissed at the UI. It's far from complete, and never what should be done in the first place. Not the entire UI, but most of it.

Icons, like Google Chrome? Way worse, who needs a retina display for seeing such crapple baby colored crayonish icons.

That shaky home screen? Wow all that showoff from Android finally made it here. Pure fancy and utterly useless in the end. Now we can get motion sickness anywhere we want too.

That bright red and maddening blue font in those apps? I am cracking my knuckles to beat the crap out of the guy who even thought this is 'clean' design and made it.

I am enraged, at the whole self decimation these guys can go to. All because they lost a dictator who could tell that crap is crap and only allow the best to come out.

RIP, Steve Jobs, again. Miss you.

(P.S. I became an iOS developer this February, and was connecting the dots looking backwards to see how that first hackintosh I used helped chart my course, to get an iMac and finally contributed to what I am. Damn, it was an awesome inspiration when I look back.

And then I saw these pieces of shit. Future's F***ing Crazy.)

• Reply 154 of 464
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Already in conversation with a pro user (cinematography) who wanted a bigger tower with more internal expansion. Claiming form over function. His need though, was for about 11 boards.

I think the design choice for Apple was to rely on Thunderbolt for the kinds of stuff you are talking about.  We'll see if that flies.

• Reply 155 of 464

Five days until my 10th anniversary on AI and now, 1000 posts. :) Apple is in good shape!

• Reply 156 of 464
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidgr View Post

Still no customized home screen.  Still no widgets.  meh

Customizable in what way? I can rearange the homescreen to exactly fit my workflow style now, use a background graphic of my own choosing as well.

"widgets"? Couldn't care less. Every device I have that has that capability I never use it. What would (or do) you use widgets for?

• Reply 157 of 464
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    I disagree. I think much effort has been invested in unifying the look across the core apps, which is more important than what the new look is.

Couldn't agree more. The biggest problem before was the inconsistent UI. Ive alluded to that too.

As an aside, does Ive really exist? We only see him in videos and never on stage.
  • Reply 158 of 464
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

I have mixed feelings. It looks to me to suffer from some of the same problems as Windows Phone. Some of the screens look messy and visually ambiguous because they're too flat and not differentiated. If you look at Apple's website, make sure you look at it on a retina display. It looks absolutely awful on non-retina displays, but much better if you open it on a retina iPad. The icons look terrible regardless. Like clip art. Some stuff, like the weather app and the parallax, are beautiful. The transparency reminds me of Aero Glass, which I found ugly. I think this is something I'm going to really need to see in person to appreciate.

• Reply 159 of 464
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Looks disgusting. Dayglo saturated colours and busy icons. Oh dear

pottsy wrote: »
    Not keen on this new design...

davidgr wrote: »
    Still no customized home screen.  Still no widgets.  meh

4 posts, 3 posts, 2 posts from the above 3 users...

Looks like the roller derby bus has arrived and unloaded a team of new trolls...

I can hardly wait for "Big Red" to "Jam the Pack"!

And get hit in the nuts by Ann Calvello.
  • Reply 160 of 464
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

It's a beauty, but way more computer than I'll ever need.  Interesting they went with a cylinder shape, though.