Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Comments

• Reply 181 of 464
    jhende7jhende7 Posts: 62member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's also full of gimmicky things that you wouldn't expect Apple to do like the 3D background effect and the silly multi-tasking previews.  I would have bet money that they wouldn't "go there" as the feature adds no real utility while using up screen real estate.  

I know I will get pilloried for saying it, but IMO Apple really is (at least partially), losing it's touch it seems.  

I mean the only proof of that you need is the term ... "OS X Mavericks."  

Your kidding right, Apple, never do anything Gimmicky? PAPER SHREDDER PASSPORT ERASER SAYS HELLO!!!

Unlike the aformentioned paper shredder, large multi-tasking previews allow you to actually see what you were doing in an App, vs just showing the icon which provides much better utility. 

The 3D-Effect on the homescreen, while not providing any obvious utility, most likely was included to draw the users eye, and to make using the phone more immersive.

• Reply 182 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, so you don't have a flipping clue where Samsung comes from. That's now clear.

*facepalm*

Um, sweetie, Samsung is a Korean company.

• Reply 183 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodstockAEB View Post

Superb? Hardly. It doesn't take a lot of talent to strip all the flair out of everything.

GTFO!!!!!

• Reply 184 of 464
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Apple blew me away with iOS 7. Much much more than I expected as far as the look and function of the OS. Can't wait to see a feature upgrade list as we were fed mere morsels today.

This was a much needed overhaul, in my opinion. Very colorful and that parallax feature was interesting. Very colorful and yet, I'd have to say, Ive sure loves white. I'm hoping to see more contrast upon actual use. It has to be in there somewhere!

Craig Federighi was incredible. That guy loves his job and it oozed out into the audience and through my Apple TV. Cook is good, but please, more Craig.

HUGE thumbs up on most of what I saw. iOS is a huge step up. Super stoked to see Apple take such a bold move.

Niggles:

- Lots of white.

- The OS font appears thin. I'll have to wait and see it at arm's length before judging, but it might be harder to read for an aging population. No doubt it looks elegant and classy. But thin makes my eyes work harder.

- Related to above. Lack of contrast. I liked darker backgrounds against lighter foreground elements.

- Maverick. Hmmmm. I was hoping for space/science names. Every time Craig said Maverick, an image of a black labrador popped into my head.

• Reply 185 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I think the over-use of the patronizing term 'sweetie' pretty much tips your hand.  It is almost by definition trolling to patronize in such a manner.

Thank you for your insightful analysis. My responses couldn't have anything to do with responding in kind to being called a troll . . .

• Reply 186 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post

GTFO!!!!!

I'm here to stay, sweetie, or until they kick me out. *kisses*

• Reply 187 of 464
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

Is that so? How much can you say about anything on design then, while representing the "mainstream public"?! This is the mainstream public speaking up. The average guy who buys most of the iPhones and iPads for their simple, easy to use, beautiful UI. Unlike the self-defined 'critics', 'fans', 'experts' and other crappers out here. Respect the various opinions out there. To agree or not is a different matter.

No one needs a paper degree or portfolio to prove a sense of design. Any human being can.

Neither you nor anyone here is the "mainstream public". Internet forums are not good samplings of the public. People posting on forums are almost always more "techie" than John Public, and most gravitate to wherever their biases take them. 

You also missed my point. My point was that we're hearing left and right from armchair design critics that the design is "fugly" and "Apple is doomed", etc. These aren't opinions that are rationally informed or the deserve a shred of respect. And it takes a lot of nerve to unabashedly bash the design of a man who's known for being one of the greatest modern designers, without seeing it in person or actually using it. 

• Reply 188 of 464
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    Just what my 4 year old wanted.
  • Reply 189 of 464

Quote:

*facepalm*

Um, sweetie, Samsung is a Korean company.

Your post makes no sense, and you're replying to a reply that was directed not at you, but at another poster.

I'm guessing your "*facepalm*" was directed at yourself.

• Reply 190 of 464
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Think of the current design what you want, but at least you instantly could see the difference between a header, content and footer.
    The new design is white, white and white. It's hideous and reads like shit.
    This is not clean and simple. It's full of useless animations and a step back the current design.
    I never has seen something ugly from Apple like this before. It's change for the sake of change.
  • Reply 191 of 464
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    garbage wrote: »
    Wow. Maybe apple should ask Microsoft for some design tips.
    A washed out, over-busy version of their old over-saturated candy style. This is going to tank big time. Ive should have kept to hardware.

This is quite shocking as I'm sure Apple has some top graphic designers working for them but this... ohmygod.

-1 for posting this,
    -1 for posting it again,
    +1 for your appropriate username,
    so that adds up to:
    Where is a preview app so that I can sync pdf's?

iBooks
  • Reply 192 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Neither you nor anyone here is the "mainstream public". Internet forums are not good samplings of the public. People posting on forums are almost always more "techie" than John Public, and most gravitate to wherever their biases take them. 

You also missed my point. My point was that we're hearing left and right from armchair design critics that the design is "fugly" and "Apple is doomed", etc. These aren't opinions that are rationally informed or the deserve a shred of respect. And it takes a lot of nerve to unabashedly bash the design of a man who's known for being one of the greatest modern designers, without seeing it in person or actually using it. 

Has it occurred to you a lot of the new posters here aren't actually trolls but regular, non-techie Apple users chiming in to say they don't like the direction the company is starting to take?

Updates aren't supposed to be just for the acolytes to ohh and ahh over, but they also need to be useful to the rank and file who use the product every day without wanting to think about the underlying nuance. As one of those regular users, this update likely will not be useful to me, but in fact detrimental to my normal use.

• Reply 193 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Think of the current design what you want, but at least you instantly could see the difference between a header, content and footer.

The new design is white, white and white. It's hideous and reads like shit.

This is not clean and simple. It's full of useless animations and a step back the current design.

I never has seen something ugly from Apple like this before. It's change for the sake of change.

Why do you need a clear difference between header, content, and footer?

On a small screen, all I want is CONTENT.

The OS should get out of the way.

• Reply 194 of 464
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Apple blew me away with iOS 7. Much much more than I expected as far as the look and function of the OS. Can't wait to see a feature upgrade list as we were fed mere morsels today.

This was a much needed overhaul, in my opinion. Very colorful and that parallax feature was interesting. Very colorful and yet, I'd have to say, Ive sure loves white. I'm hoping to see more contrast upon actual use. It has to be in there somewhere!

Craig Federighi was incredible. That guy loves his job and it oozed out into the audience and through my Apple TV. Cook is good, but please, more Craig.

HUGE thumbs up on most of what I saw. iOS is a huge step up. Super stoked to see Apple take such a bold move.

Niggles:

- Lots of white.

- The OS font appears thin. I'll have to wait and see it at arm's length before judging, but it might be harder to read for an aging population. No doubt it looks elegant and classy. But thin makes my eyes work harder.

- Related to above. Lack of contrast. I liked darker backgrounds against lighter foreground elements.

- Maverick. Hmmmm. I was hoping for space/science names. Every time Craig said Maverick, an image of a black labrador popped into my head.

The combination of lots of white and thin large fonts gives it too much of an Android look and feel to me, particularly the Google apps in Android and on the web.

• Reply 195 of 464
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

I'm here to stay, sweetie, or 3 or 4 more posts then until they kick me out. *kisses*

Fixed that.

• Reply 196 of 464
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Quote:

Fully agree. I also think space names would have been more imaginative.

• Reply 197 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Your post makes no sense, and you're replying to a reply that was directed not at you, but at another poster.

Ohhhhh, I didn't realize posts on an open forum were private and I shouldn't respond. Got it.

But tell me, where does Samsung come from, if the original poster was wrong referencing Koreans?

• Reply 198 of 464

Quote:

Has it occurred to you a lot of the new posters here aren't actually trolls but regular, non-techie Apple users chiming in to say they don't like the direction the company is starting to take?

Updates aren't supposed to be just for the acolytes to ohh and ahh over, but they also need to be useful to the rank and file who use the product every day without wanting to think about the underlying nuance. As one of those regular users, this update likely will not be useful to me, but in fact detrimental to my normal use.

Considering the majority of posters have appeared suddenly and registered today? Yeah, that makes me think they're just regular 'ol Apple users.

And your complaints have been about the visual appearance, like the colors or "flatness", which has nothing to do with functionality. Especially considering they added a bunch of functionality without removing any, your last sentence makes little sense.

• Reply 199 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Fixed that.

So helpful. You've earned my everlasting appreciation.

• Reply 200 of 464
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

I've read several long-time posters who have complained about certain aspects.  Gazobee being one of them.  Do a quick review- check who made an account today- and count how many are positive and how many are negative.  Hint: none are positive.  Hence- 95-98% of the accounts made today are trolls.  And you absolutely fit in that percentage.