Apple holds 39% of US smartphone market, far ahead of Samsung's 23%

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone increased its lead in the United States smartphone market through the end of May, inching toward a 40 percent share, while the other major competitors outside of Samsung lost share.

manu

The newest figures from market research firm comScore found Apple going coming out of May with a 39.2 percent share of U.S smartphone subscribers, up 0.3 points from the period ending with February. Google's Android remained the overall top platform among America's smartphone owners with a 52 percent overall share, but Apple's iOS was second with 39.2 percent.

A solid second to Apple was its chief rival Samsung, which also gained share in the period ending in May, likely due to the launch of the Galaxy S4, Samsung's new flagship device. The South Korean conglomerate, which is the number one overall leader in smartphone sales worldwide, saw its share of the U.S. market move up 1.7 points from 21.3 percent in February to 23 percent by May.

manu

Samsung and Apple already capture 100 percent of the smartphone industry's profits, according to some estimates. Now the two together account for more than 60 percent of the U.S. smartphone market.

comScore's figures saw the other major handset manufacturers continuing to shrink in importance. HTC and Motorola each lost 0.6 points to end May at 8.7 and 7.8 percent of the U.S. market. LG dropped 0.1 points to 6.7 percent.

Overall, though, the study seemed to indicate that the trend toward smartphone adoption shows no signs of slowing down. comScore found that 141 million people in the United States owned smartphones. That amounts to 59 percent mobile market penetration, up six percent since February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126

It is all about future growth, not present!

I hope Tim Cook and his team are taking things seriously for global growth. I remember Tim Cook saying "do not bet against us" What happened?

• Reply 2 of 126
    Here we go again: war of the pie charts.
  • Reply 3 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So if these numbers are to be believed (and I'm always doubtful) does this mean in the US Samsung is taking market share from other Android manufactures and not Apple?
  • Reply 4 of 126
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

Are HTC and LG going to keep this up for much longer?  Its just brutal.  Google selling Mot branded handsets on one end, they won't stop, profits or no profits.  And Samsung squeezing them from the other with immense marketing.

• Reply 5 of 126
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That's almost double Samsung's share! Screw Samsung, and screw Android!

Other phone makers can tout their market share in crappy countries and places that don't matter. Even Blackberry, which is a complete disaster, claims to do good in the middle east and other third world places that don't really matter at all. I mean, who really gives a crap if your phone is selling well in Somalia? That's nothing that I would want to boast about. It's not a good sign if your phone is only selling to third world people, as that is not exactly a lucrative market. It doesn't get much more bottom of the barrel than that!

The bottom line is that Apple is kicking ass in the US, and the iPhone continues to remain supreme, and will continue to do so in the future also.

And no, Apple does not need to make cheap, crappy phones for undesirable customers with no money. Those kind of phones already exist. That's what Android, Symbian, Blackberry and others are for. 

• Reply 6 of 126
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Android IS DEAD.

• Reply 7 of 126
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I hope Tim Cook and his team are taking things seriously for global growth. I remember Tim Cook saying "do not bet against us" What happened?

You have to wait until they release their new products.

Remember, he knows more about the products that will be released than you or I do.  

• Reply 8 of 126
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Most interesting is that MS and BB still manage to lose market share. Weren't they wildly believed and reported to out-innovate Apple? :smokey:
  • Reply 9 of 126
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Most interesting is that MS and BB still manage to lose market share. Weren't they wildly believed and reported to out-innovate Apple? image

Funny thing about the word "INNOVATION".   There are great innovations, bad innovations, innovations that set trends that others follow and innovations that just didn't catch on very well.

The media just doesn't do a very good job at categorizing these innovations.

• Reply 10 of 126
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

I think this is good news. I really want to see iPhone move forward. I hope they have some nice features to add with the iPhone 5S (although, I won't be getting it, as my iPhone 5 is plenty). Then the iPhone 6 should be really nice.

On a completely different off topic, my mom may be in the market for a PC. I always decide was PC she should buy. Does anyone here have a new Macbook Air? Are they fast even with a dual core? I would instruct her to get either an i5 with 8GB RAM or i7 with 4GB RAM. Which would make the best difference with this computer? How is the real world battery life? 

I am only asking because I know very little with the Air line. I got a Retina instead, first MAC, most likely, not the last.

• Reply 11 of 126
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

What happened? I'll tell you what happened. What happened is that trolls like you are relentless. That's what happened.

• Reply 12 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

How vacuous can a statement be?
    What happened?

I dunno, maybe read about anything Apple has done since October 2011 before spewing nonsense?
  • Reply 13 of 126
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

... On a completely different off topic, my mom may be in the market for a PC. I always decide was PC she should buy. Does anyone here have a new Macbook Air? Are they fast even with a dual core? I would instruct her to get either an i5 with 8GB RAM or i7 with 4GB RAM. Which would make the best difference with this computer? How is the real world battery life? 

I am only asking because I know very little with the Air line. I got a Retina instead, first MAC, most likely, not the last.

Is she actually going to take it places? Does she really need a laptop? If not, she might be better off with a 21" iMac. Much bigger screen, faster, more RAM, more HD for around the same money. Ergonomically much better if it's going to be used stationary anyway.

• Reply 14 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Funny thing about the word "INNOVATION".   There are great innovations, bad innovations, innovations that set trends that others follow and innovations that just didn't catch on very well.

The media just doesn't do a very good job at categorizing these innovations.

Innovation for certain companies goes like this:

Step 1 - Apple releases revolutionary device such as the iPhone.

Step 2 - Make fun of this so-called revolutionary device and totally dismiss it. Give TV interviews while you're laughing at it. Hold a funeral for it. Mock it.

Step 3 - After a few years, you realize that your own devices are not selling well anymore, for some strange, incomprehensible reason. You are in deep shit now. Nobody wants your outdated and prehistoric devices anymore, so you begin to frantically work on your own new device, whose entire concept is basically centered around Apple's initial revolutionary device.

Step 4 - Tout your own inferior "me too" device as revolutionary, even though it never measures up to the original and you might even make a variety of braindead statements such as "Playtime is over".

Step 5 - You wonder why nobody wants to buy your inferior "me too" device.

• Reply 15 of 126
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

I think Tim Cook has played a winning hand.  If you look at the adoption of all 1080p phones from Samsung, LG, HTC and Sony and compare them to Apple's single iPhone 5 model, the device web usage looks like this:

NOTE: StatCounter does not weight the data in any way so it will overweight countries like Turkey and slightly underweight countries like the US. If finally understand why Net Applications weights their data.

This looks like Apple has a very winning strategy on their most recent flagship model. Not shown is the current iPhone 5 usage curve is still trending upward at about the same rate as the time period between 28 to 84 days after its release. In short, it has maintained strong demand driving the relative web usage up at a near consistent rate. The 1080P phones are already showing a significant slowing trend meaning they have already starting to near saturation.

• Reply 16 of 126
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's almost double Samsung's share! Screw Samsung, and screw Android!

Other phone makers can tout their market share in crappy countries and places that don't matter. Even Blackberry, which is a complete disaster, claims to do good in the middle east and other third world places that don't really matter at all. I mean, who really gives a crap if your phone is selling well in Somalia? That's nothing that I would want to boast about. It's not a good sign if your phone is only selling to third world people, as that is not exactly a lucrative market. It doesn't get much more bottom of the barrel than that!

The bottom line is that Apple is kicking ass in the US, and the iPhone continues to remain supreme, and will continue to do so in the future also.

And no, Apple does not need to make cheap, crappy phones for undesirable customers with no money. Those kind of phones already exist. That's what Android, Symbian, Blackberry and others are for. 

Dare I say this view looks very American or should I call you simply ignorant?

Let me try to keep it together and not question your level of education, because it really seems as if you believe that everyone outside the US runs around in undies eating bananas.

If you believe there is no other market that matters outside the US, you are horribly mistaken and luckily Apple knows this. ;-)

Sadly, it doesn't look all that rosy in some of those markets, especially in certain markets in Europe and this is something Apple needs to turn around somehow.

• Reply 17 of 126
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

While Apple holds a steady US position which is not likely to change any time soon, Apple seems to completely give up Europe:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/25/idc-apples-iphone-sheds-european-marketshare-in-q1-pushed-out-of-top-5-in-india

Not even funny.

Cook promised to "fix" Europe a couple of years ago, we see now how good he is with his promises.

• Reply 18 of 126

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Well, congratulations on your first Apple computer! Going from using an average PC to a Mac is like going from dating the ugliest and least desirable female in your entire town compared to all of a sudden going out with a supermodel. It's the difference between eating a hamburger at McDonalds to eating one at Smith & Wollensky. 

And since it's your first Apple computer purchase, I will forgive you for your ignorance, but it's Mac, not MAC.

• Reply 19 of 126
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynic View Post

Dare I say this view looks very American or should I call you simply ignorant?

You may notice the words "US" in both the thread title and in the comments to the guy you are attacking.

calm down... get along everyone :)

• Reply 20 of 126
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

iPhone has 90% loyalty rate (iPhone buyers tend to buy iPhones as replacements), and android only has 70%.   The expected trend, then, is a huge surge in Android sales as people upgrade from feature phones, then a gradual move towards iPhone dominance as people switch from Android to iPhone.