Photos, video show highly suspect 'iPhone Lite' display and shell with no exterior buttons

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Ok, so you don't work for their company. I still find highly suspicious that you registered just to post "fixed" pictures of the this Android iPhone knock-off from a shady company, along with all of its detailed specs, price and links to buy the product.

I'm a tech enthusiast, I just happened to be reading this article and took interest.

I looked at the link posted in the AI article and found the images of the Basic Bear. So I decided to post them and comment.

The link to the page was requested following my original post. 

• Reply 62 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I would love to see an iPhone Air as the gateway iPhone.

If Apple can do what they did with the iPad Mini and reimagine thin and light that would be a show stopper.

You realize what you're postulating is an iPhone 5 right?

A cheapo 5S with A6 and 16GB? Yup iPhone 5 which will cost $549 when the 5S comes out, if Apple decides to keep it around.

$549 is not affordable enough for most of the world.

My thoughts on the upcoming cheapo phone is a phone based on the iPod touch. Colored aluminum ultra thin and light, sexy and colorful. Apple could totally do that with the aluminum design. They did it with the iphone 1 by simply adding a plastic window for the cell radio signals to go out from.

Anyway I see a device with a colorful aluminum case, A5, 5 megapixel camera, 8GB of storage and Qualcomm's LTE and CD-LTE wireless chips.

$349 budget iPhone: 8GB Black&Silver. A5, 5MP cam, LTE

$449 budget iPhone: 16GB Colors. A5, 5MP, LTE

$549 iPhone 5: 16GB Black&Slate/White&Silver. A6, 8MP, LTE

$649 iPhone 5S: 32GB Black&Slate/White&Silver. A7, 13MP, LTE

I'm rather bemused they didn't just release an iPod touch with phone capability.

I think the touch is a better design.  I like the smooth rear shell better than the edged iPhone 5.  The touch looks really sexy in person.  

The colours are there.  The design is sexy.  But I doubt (Apple being Apple) will do this.  The swirls around the plastic design are pretty deafening...

Not that I have a problem with that.  If that white design is the cheap-ER iPhone, I'm down with that.  

iPhone 5 specs in white plastic.  A classy, simple design.  I'd have bought that for £250-ish.  And we know Apple will do a very good quality 'plastic' phone.  Apple's stuff is generally classy in build quality...and design.

I would still like a bigger iPhone model.  We may see the plastic model, the 'air' and then the +.  

3 models is fine.  Each one 'premium' in its price bracket.

I'm surprised Apple has taken this long to be honest. 

The samsung and android are paper lions...living out of the oxygen Apple has given them...

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 63 of 113
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why in the world would Apple redesign the iPod touch last year if they were going to replace it with something plastic this year?

Exactly! 

• Reply 64 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If that were the case, sure.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if that were the case", I can assure you, any variant of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600 is more powerful than Apple's A6 inside of the iPhone 5. The GLES 3.0 certification and support makes it much more versatile as well.

• Reply 65 of 113
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    carthusia wrote: »
    My prediction: 

No plastic iPhone Lite/Budget/Cheapo. i think Apple is pretty done with polycarbonate for anything other than some accessories.

iPod touch pricing and features 9color options and cameras) remain the same. I think Apple settled on these configs in advance of the iPhone "Lite" rollout:
    • iPod Touch 16 GB $229 (no iSight camera; limited to 16GB storage; "previous-gen" A series chip)
    • iPod Touch 32 GB $299 (FaceTime and iSight cameras, and 32 and 64 GB flavors; "previous-gen" A series chip)
    • iPod Touch 64 GB $399 (FaceTime and iSight cameras, and 32 and 64 GB flavors; "previous-gen" A series chip)

iPhone "Lite" leverages ipod Touch components and chassis, rather that the previous-gen iPhone components and chassis
    • iPhone Lite 16 GB $399 (iPod touch colors; iPod Touch chassis; iPod Touch's iSight and FaceTime cameras; "previous-gen" A series chip; not available with subsidy, only direct from Apple)

iPhone latest-gen iPhone (5S/6/Whatever) gets a $50 price drop across the board; no color options (only black and white styles) and uses the most advanced hardware:
    • iPhone 5S 32 GB $599 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)
    • iPhone 5S 64 GB $699 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)
    • iPhone 5S 128 GB $799 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)

In this scenario, Apple's economy of scale advantages are maintained by carrying over components from the current generation iPod Touch line rather than the prior iPhone (4/4S/5) line. This also will allow Apple to sell more of their iPhones themselves (from the online or retail stores) and not via carriers and third-party retailers. Lastly, data for the iPhone Lite will be sold exactly the way it is sold for iPads. The exception, of course, is that voice data will continue to be disallowed on iPad.

I'm thinking the same, and I like your idea of restricting the cheap model to Apple stores only and keeping it away from phone companies and their over priced plans.

The often rumored iPod touch phone may finally see the light of day.
  • Reply 66 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsiderUser99 View Post

Going under the assumption this is the budget iPhone:

Buttons can be seen on the shell of the Basic Bear

Side:

Top:

On a side note. For $199 the Basic Bear offers a lot of value. Not to mention the fact it outperforms the iPhone 5.

• Snapdragon 600 @1.7GHz  (complete OpenGL ES 3.0 support)

• 2GB RAM

• 4inch 1136x640 IPS display 

• Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (stock)

• HSPA+ 42

• 16GB internal storage

• etc.

First of all, this piece of crap is fucking vapor. Second, you have no idea that there is a distinction between specs and performance. GTFOH!

• Reply 67 of 113
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Nice way to welcome a newcomer.  Grow up.

• Reply 68 of 113
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The AI article posted a link to the blog of the "shady company", which had further links to their store.

The difference is that AI put it in the right context: these photos and videos are highly suspect. This guy just popped out of nowhere and registered with a generic nickname just to post positive things about this product and defend its specs.

I'm not the kind to accuse everyone of being a paid-shill because they criticize Apple or praise a competitor. But in this case I find it highly suspicious that this user registered just for that, with a nickname that looks temporary.

Maybe I should've used an accusatory tone at first because it's hard to actually prove, but to me it was so obvious that I didn't think twice about it.

• Reply 69 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

My prediction: 

iPhone "Lite" leverages ipod Touch components and chassis, rather that the previous-gen iPhone components and chassis

• iPhone Lite 16 GB $399 (iPod touch colors; iPod Touch chassis; iPod Touch's iSight and FaceTime cameras; "previous-gen" A series chip; not available with subsidy, only direct from Apple)

How confident are we that the iPod Touch chassis is even suitable for use as a phone?  It doesn't have an integrated cellular aerial, and the whole thing is made of aluminium, which would imply to my mind that an internal aerial would be pretty poor.

It might sound nice, but I don't think it's going to work without significant re-engineering.

• Reply 70 of 113
    I'm surprised Apple has taken this long to be honest. 

Lemon Bon Bon.

It probably wasnt until this year the cost of making more than one model made sense for them as far as components.

A few years ago there would be no way they could make an "iPhone" quality device for much cheaper than what they were charging but now they are themselves selling an all
    Glass and aluminum iPhone with retina display for $449.

That's a first and now I'm sure component cost and their economy of scale in manufacturing have improved to the point where they can produce and sell an all aluminum iPhone with all the features users have come to expect for less than $400.

As far as the plastic leaks? Smoke and mirrors. Maybe even red herrings from Apple to weed out leakers. Remember they have doubled down on security.
  • Reply 71 of 113

Quote:

How confident are we that the iPod Touch chassis is even suitable for use as a phone?  It doesn't have an integrated cellular aerial, and the whole thing is made of aluminium, which would imply to my mind that an internal aerial would be pretty poor.

It might sound nice, but I don't think it's going to work without significant re-engineering.

A larger or secondary plastic window in the aluminum chassis for cellular antenna reception? That doesn't seem like some major re-engineering feat to me, but, hey....

• Reply 72 of 113
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Techdy's website says this phone runs stock Jelly Bean 4.2.1 so I guess the rumor that the pics might be the new cheap iPhone is squashed?  Maybe just a marketing ploy to get attention to the phone they're working on?

• Reply 73 of 113
    crowley wrote: »

Add a plastic panel at the bottom of the aluminum backplate ala iPhone 1 and bam. Cheaper iPhone that's beautiful and high end and even harkens back to the fanfare of the iPhone 1.

With Apples patents and research in battery tech I don't think that will be a problem either.
  • Reply 74 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

A larger or secondary plastic window in the aluminum chassis for cellular antenna reception? That doesn't seem like some major re-engineering feat to me, but, hey....

Apple doesn't seem the type to recycle the design of a lower level product. If a budget iPhone does exist, I think it would have an original design.

They want to bring something fresh to market, and at the same time keep the design minimalistic in order to keep a flagship iPhone on the top of their hierarchy.

• Reply 75 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Techdy's website says this phone runs stock Jelly Bean 4.2.1 so I guess the rumor that the pics might be the new cheap iPhone is squashed?

The fact that they're the ones selling it also does a bit of the squishing.

'Course Apple will be doing the squishing in a month or two.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

From a purely aesthetic point of view, that white shell with the completely black screen (no white surround) looks very good. But Apple would probably never do this because their white phones always have white screen surrounds.

• Reply 77 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Add a plastic panel at the bottom of the aluminum backplate ala iPhone 1 and bam. Cheaper iPhone that's beautiful and high end and even harkens back to the fanfare of the iPhone 1.

With Apples patents and research in battery tech I don't think that will be a problem either.

But the original iPhone didn't get great reception.  That's supposedly why they changed to the plastic back.  What advance have you identified that would mean this isn't a problem any more?

• Reply 78 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsiderUser99 View Post

Apple doesn't seem the type to recycle the design of a lower level product. If a budget iPhone does exist, I think it would have an original design.

They want to bring something fresh to market, and at the same time keep the design minimalistic in order to keep a flagship iPhone on the top of their hierarchy.

I think its more likely than going to a polycarbonate chassis, which hasn't been used on an iPhone since, when, the iPhone 3GS? Aesthetically, positioning this cheaper phone closer to the iPod Touch would also make more marketing sense-again, to differentiate from and argue for the iPhone 5S/6/Whatever.

• Reply 79 of 113

Quote:

But the original iPhone didn't get great reception.  That's supposedly why they changed to the plastic back.  What advance have you identified that would mean this isn't a problem any more?

The current iPhone 5 has an aluminum chassis and gets great reception.

• Reply 80 of 113

Unless I'm mistaken, the iPhone 5 antennas are external; the piece of aluminium around the top, and the piece around the bottom are the antennas..  The iPod Touch could not use this system without significant engineering, because its chassis is currently a single unibody piece.