Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less

Comments

• Reply 21 of 173
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Yeah, because the original Nexus 7 sold like shit because of the resolution, right?

Wrong.

When it comes to the iPad, this tablet is still irrelevant. The Android tablet optimized app situation is still abysmal. And I see they haven't changed the MASSIVE bezels on this thing. Specs are better, but experience of using it wont be drastically changed. Still the same awkward 16x9 ratio.
  • Reply 22 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What a dumb headline. The actual price of the Nexus 7 went up. And there were tablets last year that had better screens than the mini. Big deal. Apple stock is up 6% while Google is trading slightly down on the day. Obviously Wall Street is treating this as 'meh' rather than a shot across the bow that Apple needs to be quaking in their boots over.
  • Reply 23 of 173
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less

Given that the refreshed Nexus 7 has a pixel count of 2,304,000 vs. the iPad Mini with 786,432, it has nearly tripled the pixel count (2.92x) actually.

• Reply 24 of 173
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Is the purpose for better-than-retina for squeezing more things on the screen? At that point, don't you actually start to lose detail? Might be a dumb question, but honestly, I don't understand.

I've had the original N7 for about a year, mainly for surfing and playing simple games. It warmed me up to Android and I could see where the Android crowd was coming from on certain angles. But now that iOS7 is coming, I think both OSes equally meet my needs and iOS works better with the rest of my devices. I wouldn't upgrade from my old N7 to the new N7, but I would switch for a iPad Mini with retina simply for the aspect ratio, 16:9 doesn't really work well for me.

• Reply 25 of 173
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What a dumb headline. The actual price of the Nexus 7 went up. And there were tablets last year that had better screens than the mini. Big deal. Apple stock is up 6% while Google is trading slightly down on the day. Obviously Wall Street is treating this as 'meh' rather than a shot across the bow that Apple needs to be quaking in their boots over.

Should we really be using the stock price as a means of accurate portraying how a company is doing? I mean...you've been checking the APPL price for the past year right?

Nexus devices are simply a Google experience device. It's not as heavily marketed as say the Kindle Fire, which sells very well. Nexus is still an invaluable device to own for Android developers, but consumers have more choices down in the low price trenches. I would hold my wallet until Amazon's announcement. 

One thing that holds true is the iPad Mini needs a refresh this year, if the rumors about a Mini delay are true, that's going to hurt. This Nexus already has a fairly substantial specs (notice I don't say hardware) advantage right now. Apple needs to respond later this year. 

• Reply 26 of 173

The Nexus 7 also offers OpenGL ES 3.0 support via the Adreno 320 GPU and native support through Android 4.3.

Pretty impressive!

• Reply 27 of 173

It may be cheaper than the iPad Mini and pack more pixels, power, etc - yet take the Chromebook Pixel and Macbook Air for example, the Pixel has almost 4x the resolution of the Air for the same price point, but you don't see people flocking to that thing. It's all about software and quality, and that's where Apple wins. 

• Reply 28 of 173
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    cynic wrote: »
    This display is simply ridiculous and the hardware can't support it. It became obvious how even simple 3D games that were shown off, such as Prince of Persia didn't run very smooth. It was also interesting to see, how extremely careful they were when it came to scrolling during the presentation. They did it very, very slowly and always without momentum, trying to hide the fact how choppy everything gets once you scroll properly. Despite these attempts though, there were instances where the choppyness was obvious, heck even Google Maps scrolling was horrible.

Really sad to see things getting down to a spec race. A retina display would certainly make a lot of sense on a mini, but there's no point in stuffing such high resolution displays in so small devices where both hardware and software have trouble supporting those features, because essentially the user experience gets worse, unless all you do is look at static images.

The hardware can easily handle it, the Adreno 320 is faster then Power SGX 543 found in the iPhone 5. The lag is probably in Android itself, Qualcomm chip users found that by modifying the GPU conf to reflect this,"ondemand, down_differential 30, up_threshhold 70" greatly increases the speed of the games and overall smoothness of the GUI. That being said, which videos have you seen, the ones I've seen so far showed no such lag.
  • Reply 29 of 173
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Is the purpose for better-than-retina for squeezing more things on the screen? At that point, don't you actually start to lose detail?

"Retina" is a marketing term.  Depending on your visual acuity and the distance between your eyes and the screen, higher res may offer a noticeably improved image, while for others even "retina" displays offer little noticeable benefit.

• Reply 30 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Still the same awkward 16x9 ratio.

1920x1200 is 16:10

1920x1080 is 16:9

1280x800 is 16:10

1280x720 is 16:9

• Reply 31 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    koop wrote: »
    Should we really be using the stock price as a means of accurate portraying how a company is doing? I mean...you've been checking the APPL price for the past year right?

Nexus devices are simply a Google experience device. It's not as heavily marketed as say the Kindle Fire, which sells very well. Nexus is still an invaluable device to own for Android developers, but consumers have more choices down in the low price trenches. I would hold my wallet until Amazon's announcement. 

One thing that holds true is the iPad Mini needs a refresh this year, if the rumors about a Mini delay are true, that's going to hurt. This Nexus already has a fairly substantial specs (notice I don't say hardware) advantage right now. Apple needs to respond later this year. 
    All I'm saying is if this was really a WOW device Google's stock would be up and Apple would have come off its highs for the day. It seems Wall Street is finally treating other people's stuff like they do Apple's. Apple gets knocked products not being revolutionary. Well there's nothing revolutionary about this device.
  • Reply 32 of 173
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by force4ever View Post

It may be cheaper than the iPad Mini and pack more pixels, power, etc - yet take the Chromebook Pixel and Macbook Air for example, the Pixel has almost 4x the resolution of the Air for the same price point, but you don't see people flocking to that thing. It's all about software and quality, and that's where Apple wins. 

Or that the Pixel and the Macbook are two completely different types of devices. One a web a browser for $1000+, another a fully fledged OS with applications. The pixel is a novelty, albeit a silly one. I really doubt Google had aspirations that pixel would dethrone any high end ultrabooks on the market. 

• Reply 33 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Hey… Still using that faulty NAND, are you Google? There's a reason this is $100 less.

I wouldn't doubt it, but here's the weird thing, web browsing is atrocious yet me son uses it to watch YouTube and play games and for that it works beautifully.
  • Reply 34 of 173
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

"Google also showed off the newest build of its Android operating system, version 4.3. Still under the Jelly Bean moniker, version 4.3 brings multi-user restricted profiles, allowing users to set parental controls governing how other profiles can access in-app purchases. It also brings Bluetooth Smart integration, allowing devices running 4.3 to interface with low-energy, wearable devices."

This I think is the most interesting point of the article. For families that share an iPad or even if you occasionally let a friend borrow it for a few minutes this would be an awesome feature to include in iOS 7 and I am surprised it wasn't announced. Even on the iPhone it would be nice to have an admin account and a guest account that doesn't show texts, emails, call history. 

• Reply 35 of 173
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Google is probably making no money on these devices and going for Apple's bread and butter, its profits. Fire is the best means to thwart such an offence and Apple needs to get its own search site that charges no money for advertising (or darsh little) to do to Google what it has done to MS and is attempting to do to Apple. The gloves must come off and a grab for Google goolies by Apple is called forth.

Somebody, knock some sense into Tim Cook.

• Reply 36 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's all in the software, dummy.

Brilliant! Best post of the year! :)

Anyone can reverse engineer any physical product...(err.....except Ford, Chrysler and GM engineers!)

But only Apple can put the SW together! :)

• Reply 37 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey… Still using that faulty NAND, are you Google? There's a reason this is $100 less.

Of course they are!!! Why doesn't Google just realize you can't release crappy beta hardware and get away with it like you can in the free software business. Google is desperate to make money on hardware before Samsung stabs them in the back and forks Android and folds in a UI from it's Tizen project. Gonna be fun to see who turns on who first as both are known for stabbing their partners in the back the second it benefits them.

• Reply 38 of 173
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Which apps where those, they weren't in the top 500 that is for sure. I haven't seen that since Android version 2.3. All new apps are written for dynamic resolutions, their is no longer a set resolution. There are some apps that use lower resolution but these are either very old or poorly programmed and no one uses them.

That's BS. What is the resolution ratio on Galaxy Tab 10 and 7? Are they same? How much is the cost of dynamic resolution rendering? Will developers resample graphics to a 50% larger resolution when one of zillion different Android devices come out just for the sake of this one?

Dynamic resolution serves only Google to make possible to every junk manufacturing company to shotgun market with any crappy format on any crappy device to announce gazillions activations/per day.  Everybody else are losers, especially users.

• Reply 39 of 173
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

"Google also showed off the newest build of its Android operating system, version 4.3. Still under the Jelly Bean moniker, version 4.3 brings multi-user restricted profiles, allowing users to set parental controls governing how other profiles can access in-app purchases. It also brings Bluetooth Smart integration, allowing devices running 4.3 to interface with low-energy, wearable devices."

This I think is the most interesting point of the article. For families that share an iPad or even if you occasionally let a friend borrow it for a few minutes this would be an awesome feature to include in iOS 7 and I am surprised it wasn't announced. Even on the iPhone it would be nice to have an admin account and a guest account that doesn't show texts, emails, call history. 

Apple wants you to buy device, not borrow. Apple sees those devices as private, not just personal.

• Reply 40 of 173
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Apple wants you to buy device, not borrow. Apple sees those devices as private, not just personal.

Apples and oranges. I bought my iPad and my iPhone but at certain times you might let someone use it for a very brief time, even for a few minutes. Sometimes with your permission and sometimes without.  For anyone with wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, or other snooping people that you would prefer not to have full access to your iPhone or iPad I am sure you will understand where I am coming from.

Not to mention the ability to prevent kids from racking up big bills on in-app or other types of purchases by being able to limit that secondary account.  

By your logic every family member should have their own Mac and they should disable multiple accounts in OS X.