Comments

• Reply 101 of 173
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    @PhilBoogie I liked that Fear less ad!
  • Reply 102 of 173
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Or do it exactly like android does now and has done for a year (Multiple users is not new to 4.3 Google just improved them with 4.3) You don't install an app twice. Its one app per device. The user data is kept separate per user. Apps only show up on users home screens if they 'install' them from the app store. They are kept hidden until then. You never double up on an all. Just the app data. Its brilliant.

It's not like Apple's never done anything like this before.  It's not all that different from how we went from Mac Classic to OS X.

• Reply 103 of 173
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    @PhilBoogie I liked that Fear less ad!

I'm a bit 'worried' about kids turning to Google for advise on asking a girl out. It could be 'okay', but knowing the data harvesting they do, we have no idea what they consider to be a 'matching answer'.
  • Reply 104 of 173
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

"It is like having a 5.1 surround sound system".  A new low.    They should hire Joe Isuzu to do their next product presentation. 

• Reply 105 of 173
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member
    macrulez wrote: »

It's not like Apple's never done anything like this before.  It's not all that different from how we went from Mac Classic to OS X.

Exactly! I'm stunned it has not already been done by Apple. It makes my tablet so perfect to share with my girlfriend. All her non-sense pintrest and facebook updates stay oh her side and I can have my apps with their own notifications and I'm a happy camper.
  • Reply 106 of 173
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    force4ever wrote: »
    <p> It may be cheaper than the iPad Mini and pack more pixels, power, etc - yet take the Chromebook Pixel and Macbook Air for example, the Pixel has almost 4x the resolution of the Air for the same price point, but you don't see people flocking to that thing. It's all about software and quality, and that's where Apple wins. </p>

That could also be a distribution problem. Here, every other electronic store has the iPad on sale, But the Nexus tablet is much less common. Plus it's a lot more expensive after factoring in the shipping charges, so I don't really save that much compared to the iPad mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  • Reply 107 of 173
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    relic wrote: »
    Which apps where those, they weren't in the top 500 that is for sure. I haven't seen that since Android version 2.3. All new apps are written for dynamic resolutions, their is no longer a set resolution. There are some apps that use lower resolution but these are either very old or poorly programmed and no one uses them.

Try the Motor trend app. Completely unreadable on my S4's 1080 screen due to the tiny font size resulting from the high resolution. I imagine it's not much better on a small, hires tablet.
  • Reply 108 of 173
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sure you can: create a group in your contact list. Open Mail, create a new email, tap on the top-right + sign, tap on the top-left Groups button.

Really, that's your solution? You still have to select and add all members of the group individually. I'm talking about like on iCloud in the browser: you put a group in the To field, and it adds all members of the group automagically. Sounds pretty simple, right? That's why it should be available on the iPhone.

• Reply 109 of 173
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

You realize that you are trying to heap layers of complexity on a tablet and make it into a PC right? Tablets are supposed to be mobile single user devices to avoid the complexity of being a PC!!!

With due respect, says who? Who decided what a tablet "should" be?

Seems to me the tablet is just the typical computer user's newer, cheaper, easier device for consumption and sharing, stuff that doesn't require the power of a traditional personal computer.

As they gradually take over more and more of the personal computing market, tablets are going to have to start incorporating some features and capabilities of computers.

• Reply 110 of 173
    dillio wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Sure you can: create a group in your contact list. Open Mail, create a new email, tap on the top-right + sign, tap on the top-left Groups button.
    Really, that's your solution? You still have to select and add all members of the group individually. I'm talking about like on iCloud in the browser: you put a group in the To field, and it adds all members of the group automagically. Sounds pretty simple, right? That's why it should be available on the iPhone.

This sound complicated. To the point of 'you put a group in the To field' What group? You enter a name I presume? Ok. 'and it adds all members of the group automagically'. Which members? How does 'it know' which members to add? Completely failing to understand this - at my end.
  • Reply 111 of 173
    v5v wrote: »
    Seems to me the tablet is just the typical computer user's newer, cheaper, easier device for consumption and sharing, stuff that doesn't require the power of a traditional personal computer.

As they gradually take over more and more of the personal computing market, tablets are going to have to start incorporating some features and capabilities of computers.

Like SD Card slots, hooking it up to DVI or whatever port displays, external HDD's and what not? I sure hope not.
  • Reply 112 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I find iOS 7 hideous. I doubt I'll upgrade my iPads or iPhones to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Have fun stuck in the past. 

I agree with Allen about the appearance of iOS7. What little I've seen of it was enough to make me cringe, but unlike Allen I'll probably install it anyway just because function matters more than appearance.

Did Sir Jon suffer a blow to the head a couple years ago? First the rMBP, then the iMac, now iOS.

• Reply 113 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Actually it is an LED backlit IPS LCD panel with Gorilla Glass (says so right on Google's page)  So technically yes, it is the same screen tech as in Apple products. It is not Pentile or OLED crap.

Everyone who mocked those of us who said Tim was making up excuses when he said one can't make a screen with good color saturation and resolution and white point in that size:

Nyah nyah! Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of Elderberries!

You may now begin coming up with lame claims of how this is totally different than what Apple uses...

Whether or not Apple CHOOSES to make a larger iPhone or a higher res iPad mini is totally up to them and until I'm in Tim's chair I got nothing to say (besides "I want one"). The only point I'm making is that people argued when it was suggested that Tim was just blowing smoke and his excuses were pure hooey. I think we can now declare that argument settled.

• Reply 114 of 173
    v5v wrote: »
    Did Sir Jon suffer a blow to the head a couple years ago? First the rMBP, then the iMac, now iOS.

I get your point on iOS. But what do you think is 'wrong' with the rMBP, or iMac?
  • Reply 115 of 173
    One other impressive Android tablet to launch this week is the Pipo M7 Pro ($255) that for about the same price as the Nexus 7 II, features a much larger 8.9 inch display with 1900x1200 screen resolution, a Quad core processor, along with built-in GPS navigation... and is packed with other features and the latest technology that compares to the new Nexus -- there's also an 8" model similar to the mini iPad that became available last week%u2013 the Pipo U8 ($195) that's almost as compact in size as the Nexus 7", but features 65% more screen space in its 8-inch form, which truly makes a difference in user experience... both new Android tablets are available through a site called T ab l e t S p r i n t-- which also features $25 in some quality Bonus Apps that's actually not bloatware, including an Office Suite App and several premium 3D Games, including the popular Shadowgun --
  • Reply 116 of 173

One other impressive Android tablet to launch this week is the Pipo M7 Pro ($255) that for about the same price as the Nexus 7 II, features a much larger 8.9 inch display with 1900x1200 screen resolution, a Quad core processor, along with built-in GPS navigation... and is packed with other features and the latest technology that compares to the new Nexus -- there's also an 8" model similar to the mini iPad that became available last week– the Pipo U8 ($195) that's almost as compact in size as the Nexus 7", but features 65% more screen space in its 8-inch form, which truly makes a difference in user experience... both new Android tablets are available through a site called T ab l e t S p r i n t--  which also features $25 in some quality Bonus Apps that's actually not bloatware, including an Office Suite App and several premium 3D Games, including the popular Shadowgun --

• Reply 117 of 173
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I get your point on iOS. But what do you think is 'wrong' with the rMBP, or iMac?

The design. It's "too thin".
  • Reply 118 of 173
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The mini is going Retina eventually.

And the tablet ecosystem kicks Google's butt.
  • Reply 119 of 173

The design. It's "too thin".

Total non-issue then.
  • Reply 120 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Jony's fetish for anorexic computers.

I don't like the rMBP's use of a unique and exclusive storage format that reduces choice and increases cost just to make it thinner. Fine idea, but not for the Pro. If I want thin, there's an Air for that. I also happen to think the Retina display is total overkill for a computer display, but that's not a hating point, just an observation.

As for the iMac, they went to slower standard storage, offer only Fusion as a faster BTO upgrade, and make it damn near impossible to replace when it fails. The lust for thin also means that GPU. storage and CPU options are limited as much by heat considerations as anything else.

I don't really dislike either, I just think they're examples of form over function. I think chassis skinniness is significantly less important than fast, high-performance internals.