Apple retail workers file class action suit claiming lost wages over bag searches

Comments

• Reply 241 of 291
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I don't claim to be the norm. If you can't get your money, keys, phone, and some form of ID in your pockets, your phone's too big.

Or your pockets are nonexistent and/or too small to be useful--most women pants.
  • Reply 242 of 291

While I do sympathize with the plaintiffs in this case, I feel that this action is full of sour grapes.  For one thing, there is a way to bring any issue to corporate if management does not address the issue you have, and it's with your HR manager.  If they did that, then go ahead full steam and sue.  I doubt that they did, because I guess I'm one of the few people who actually READ the frickin complaint before commenting.  If there was a repeated behavior of having to wait for someone to check your bag, then it should have been addressed to the store leader first, which probably did not happen.  

One of the issues with employees at Apple is that they don't follow the procedure of giving feedback, because they are afraid of reprisal.  So they just take whatever issue they have and push it way deep inside of them and continue to take it.  Then later when they quit or eventually end up not caring about their job and get fired for having a bad attitude they figure they are the victim and Apple is to blame.  That may be true, but only to a certain point.  If you let someone walk all over you and don't say anything, than it's your fault.  That's no matter where you work.  If you follow the companies procedures for issues and do not get any amicable resolution, then suing is a good way to get the company to pay attention to what is going on.

It is not a gender based issue, as Apple searches bags and backpacks no matter what gender you are.

• Reply 243 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    There, I said it!

Not good enough. You need to understand why you're wrong.
    jungmark wrote: »
    Or your pockets are nonexistent and/or too small to be useful—most women pants.

You keep going on about this. Sounds like you need to buy better pants instead. I'll call my mother and ask her to list her clothing brands for you so you can buy clothing that actually has some function to it. She doesn't own a pair of pants without pockets, and even her dresses have them. :no:

It is a privilege, not a right, to bring a personal bag to work. That's the entire argument right there. If Apple bans personal bags, no one will care.
  • Reply 244 of 291
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You keep going on about this. Sounds like you need to buy better pants instead. I'll call my mother and ask her to list her clothing brands for you so you can buy clothing that actually has some function to it. She doesn't own a pair of pants without pockets, and even her dresses have them. image

It is a privilege, not a right, to bring a personal bag to work. That's the entire argument right there. If Apple bans personal bags, no one will care.

I fail to understand why I'm wrong because I have presented good arguments. You, on the other hand, haven't.  My pants are fine because I can keep everything I need in my pockets, BUT MY NEEDS ARE NOT THE SAME AS OTHER'S!

If the world revolved around me then I wouldn't give a crap around everyone else's needs. Obviously you think the world revolves around you so now I see why you have no capacity for empathy. Your attitude is "If I can do it, so can everyone else" That's simply not the case because, thank God, everyone else is not like you.

A) Woman's modern pants, pants that are currently in fashion, have small, unusable (especially for the purposes you suggest or use them for) pockets. The attire a 50-60+ year old woman wears (like your mommy) is not the same as the clothing Apple employees wear. Female khakis and jeans have very small pockets (for the 5th time!!!). I have seen the majority of female Apple Store employees in the 20-50 year old range. You can't tell me that 20-50 year old women shop in the same stores, or section of store, for clothing as your mommy does.  What your mommy wears is not representative of the rest of the population, even though you may think she's perfect. You really need to get out more often.

B) Apple cannot ban a bag that one needs to carry medical supplies, like diabetics. Employers cannot discriminate against people with medical issues. There are many public restrooms that have vending dispensers for female sanitary products, but not most workplaces. One needs to be respectful of their coworkers so women do not leave boxes of tampons in the bathroom because 1) a lot of workplaces have unisex bathrooms and some guys have an issue with being exposed to that kind of thing. And, 2) Women steal other women's sanitary products, which is why they carry them in their personal bag. Since they need to change them multiple times a day...that bag needs to be handy!!! 

Using an open mind, I'm giving you REAL WORLD FACTS, not the fantasy-driven, tunnel-vision world that you're drawing from.

• Reply 245 of 291
    You keep going on about this. Sounds like you need to buy better pants instead. I'll call my mother and ask her to list her clothing brands for you so you can buy clothing that actually has some function to it. She doesn't own a pair of pants without pockets, and even her dresses have them. :no:

You have a mom? Tell her to just bring keys and her ID when she leaves the house. Leave her handbag at home.
  • Reply 246 of 291
    A) Woman's modern pants, pants that are currently in fashion, have small, unusable (especially for the purposes you suggest or use them for) pockets. Female khakis and jeans have very small pockets (for the 5th time!!!).

Fashion's fickle. Guess pockets have changed since yesterday.
    B) Apple cannot ban a bag that one needs to carry medical supplies, like diabetics. Employers cannot discriminate against people with medical issues.

And what about something like that makes you think it has anything to do with the argument I'm making? For the, what, tenth time: there's no reason that a bag not required for doing the job needs to come in, and if they can it's at the employer's discretion and under their rules.
    jungmark wrote: »
    You have a mom? Tell her to just bring keys and her ID when she leaves the house. Leave her handbag at home.

She does. Rather, again, like I previously stated, in the car. She takes her keys, phone, and ID to work. In pockets.

So all these other places I keep bringing up and you two keep ignoring… you're fine with their bag search policies? And bag ownership policies? Just not Apple's huh.
  • Reply 247 of 291
    Fashion's fickle. Guess pockets have changed since yesterday.
    And what about something like that makes you think it has anything to do with the argument I'm making? For the, what, tenth time: there's no reason that a bag not required for doing the job needs to come in, and if they can it's at the employer's discretion and under their rules.
    She does. Rather, again, like I previously stated, in the car. She takes her keys, phone, and ID to work. In pockets.

So all these other places I keep bringing up and you two keep ignoring… you're fine with their bag search policies? And bag ownership policies? Just not Apple's huh.

Not everyone has a car. I'm ok with Apple's bag search policy but don't tell me no one needs a bag.
  • Reply 248 of 291

Quote:

(...)

When I was in my teens, a hit song by Kansas played on the radio. The lyrics included the line: "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Being young, inexperienced with life and un-worldy, I never really knew what that lyric meant at the time. I thought it was the same poetic license that many progressive rock artists used at the time. As I matured and gathered experience in the world, with both coworkers and by owning my own business, I have met a lot of different personalities. Some people will argue a point and maintain they're right even when indisputable evidence is presented right in front of their face.  You are one of these people.

That lyric clearly defines you.

• Reply 249 of 291
    Thanks for continuing to refuse to reply to my points.
  • Reply 250 of 291

Quote:

I have, ad nauseam. You compare working at the Apple store to companies that require security clearance, and prisons, who have policies in effect for safety reasons.

How or why should I argue such nonsense when you don't even acknowledge medical issues or female issues?

• Reply 251 of 291
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

In all the other places you mentioned, most employees are salaried.  (Prison guards are the exception.)

Waiting to get a bag checked for lunch is not that a big a deal in their case.  They get paid the same, and usually have no problem taking the same amount of time for lunch.

This thread is about hourly workers who are neither paid for waiting, nor do they get to make up the time that was taken away from their lunch break.

• Reply 252 of 291

Quote:

I have, along with Kdarling....and we're waiting for your next nonsensical reply.

• Reply 253 of 291
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If YOU want to search ME then we're doing it on YOUR time not MINE. Can't see why that's so hard to comprehend.
  • Reply 254 of 291
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If YOU want to search ME then we're doing it on YOUR time not MINE. Can't see why that's so hard to comprehend.

Because YOU are the reason the search is happening in the first place?
  • Reply 255 of 291
    Because YOU are the reason the search is happening in the first place?

And YOU'RE the reason I'M the reason.
  • Reply 256 of 291
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And YOU'RE the reason I'M the reason.

I force you to carry bags? Interesting.
  • Reply 257 of 291

Why are you checking my bag?
  • Reply 258 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If your post is intended for Tallest Skil then it was all for nothing. If you don't agree with him......you're just plain wrong, no ifs, ands or buts. image

• Reply 259 of 291

Quote:

Just to get through the day, simply living LIFE forces some people to carry bags.

• Reply 260 of 291
    If your post is intended for Tallest Skil then it was all for nothing. If you don't agree with him......you're just plain wrong, no ifs, ands or buts. :\

I know all about Trollest Shill and fully aware of what I'm getting myself into. Thanks for your concern.