Apple retail workers file class action suit claiming lost wages over bag searches

Comments

• Reply 261 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    If your post is intended for Tallest Skil then it was all for nothing. If you don't agree with him......you're just plain wrong, no ifs, ands or buts. :\

If you can't win the argument, insult the person. Nice going! :no:
  • Reply 262 of 291
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you can't win the argument, insult the person. Nice going! image

That wasn't even an insult, so far as I can see. Rather a statement of fact. I mean really: have you ever lost an argument? (In your own mind...)

• Reply 263 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I suspect you're just randomly googling, as I know forbes and salary.com would be on the first page or so. They come up frequently. Apart from that the gallup poll is the only thing there that might count as research, albeit still open to bias in terms of how it is quantified. By that I mean how it's randomized and what people actually regard as their own wasted time. You're trying to take survey data to prove that specific individuals don't have a case. That isn't likely to work.

See you don't have data on any of these guys. Everything you presented is generalized, not specific to this company, and as I mentioned it gives no indication of whether Apple or any other company can even require people to remain on premises after clocking out. That is probably one of the things that will be considered in determining whether the case moves forward. You don't really know if these people behave in such a manner. You just assumed it and projected your opinion, combined with the boogie man (labor unions) reference.

I've been thinking about that. It's not like employees would have to stash things in their bags to steal them. Bags hold more, but no one is going to try to steal 10 phones at a time. It's unlikely that they would try to steal one per shift. You may recall some of the recent articles regarding smartphone manufacturers and anti-theft devices. On phones those kinds of things should also be effective at the retail level. Those are some of the highest return per dollar items. With something really small such as an ipod nano, it's not like it's easy to prevent all forms of theft there. In fact I wonder if there are any retail loss prevention case studies floating around that examine the effectiveness of constant bag checks. If they really feel bag checks need to be in place, they may want to work on efficiency. In this case a manager has to sign off, meaning to alleviate any extra time, they would have to be available anytime employees are about to clock out. They would probably have security staff for check ins/check outs instead if it wasn't an added expense. Many office buildings have that. You check in. They ask what business you're visiting. They tell you the exact elevator to board.

Anyway I doubt there's an easy solution that covers everything perfectly, but I also doubt the effectiveness of treating your staff like potential criminals.

OH, like Apple employees are somehow different than every other employee? C'mon! People are people and no one works 100% of the time. Yes, I just searched and picked a few from 3 search criteria as I did not have time to really dig the data. But the point still stand and if you want, you can search further. 

• Reply 264 of 291
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If YOU want to search ME then we're doing it on YOUR time not MINE. Can't see why that's so hard to comprehend.

You gossip on Apple's time.
  • Reply 265 of 291
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I know all about Trollest Shill and fully aware of what I'm getting myself into. Thanks for your concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

That wasn't even an insult, so far as I can see. Rather a statement of fact. I mean really: have you ever lost an argument? (In your own mind...)

• Reply 266 of 291
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    You gossip on Apple's time.

Huh?
  • Reply 267 of 291
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Huh?

If you're not doing work (gossiping, checking personal email, etc) when you're clocked in, then you're stealing from the company.
  • Reply 268 of 291
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I have, along with Kdarling....and we're waiting for your next nonsensical reply.

I don't think Tallest is a bad guy, but you should know by now, arguing with him is a thankless task. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I know all about Trollest Shill and fully aware of what I'm getting myself into. Thanks for your concern.

I disagree with the nomenclature as it implies that he is paid and only posts for a reaction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

OH, like Apple employees are somehow different than every other employee? C'mon! People are people and no one works 100% of the time. Yes, I just searched and picked a few from 3 search criteria as I did not have time to really dig the data. But the point still stand and if you want, you can search further. 

You don't get it, which is fine. Random sampling, assuming it's well conducted, is designed to provide a guideline within a certain error margin when examining broad data. It doesn't help you form a template for discrete data, such as a case study of a given business. Beyond that I mentioned that they will likely have to determine if Apple could legally keep them there without paying for that time. It has nothing to do with the productivity aspect that you brought up, as I don't think we are in disagreement whether it's legal to dock based on poor productivity. If that slips below a minimum threshold level or hovers too close, their only real options are to have management speak to the employee or fire them.

• Reply 269 of 291
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

TS BS Rulez... a lot

• Reply 270 of 291

Quote:

I don't think Tallest is a bad guy, but you should know by now, arguing with him is a thankless task. 

You don't get it, which is fine. Random sampling, assuming it's well conducted, is designed to provide a guideline within a certain error margin when examining broad data. It doesn't help you form a template for discrete data, such as a case study of a given business. Beyond that I mentioned that they will likely have to determine if Apple could legally keep them there without paying for that time. It has nothing to do with the productivity aspect that you brought up, as I don't think we are in disagreement whether it's legal to dock based on poor productivity. If that slips below a minimum threshold level or hovers too close, their only real options are to have management speak to the employee or fire them.

You don't get it, which is not surprising in todays lazy, entitled america! 

People are people and Apple employees are in no way above other employees. I gave a few examples via the web, but with 15 years past retail experience, and many more corporately, I know for a fact that not everyone works 100% of the time. I am sure Apple will have to pay as Apple has become the whipping boy, but my point was the hypocrisy of those who take company time to talk to friends, text, check email, and just don't want to be productive, somehow now feels wronged because they have to have their bags checked when leaving. It is this mindset that is killing the workforce, and america at large. 

• Reply 271 of 291
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

People are people and Apple employees are in no way above other employees. I gave a few examples via the web, but with 15 years past retail experience, and many more corporately, I know for a fact that not everyone works 100% of the time. I am sure Apple will have to pay as Apple has become the whipping boy, but my point was the hypocrisy of those who take company time to talk to friends, text, check email, and just don't want to be productive, somehow now feels wronged because they have to have their bags checked when leaving. It is this mindset that is killing the workforce, and america at large. 

I have to disagree.    While I do have some questions/issue about the employees' complaints, which I've detailed in an earlier post, the question is not the efficiency of employees - it's whether the employees should be on the clock when the store takes that action.    If they're not working at an efficient level during their shifts, then their managers should take appropriate action, whether that's having them get training when business is slow, dusting the products, organizing displays, loading new software onto the machines or firing them...whatever.    But that has nothing to do with whether they should be paid during the time it takes to conduct a bag search.    

American workers are actually among the most productive workers in the world.   It's actually that productivity which is killing the workforce, because employers can make do with far fewer employees.   That's why they're not hiring in spite of large companies experiencing record profits.    

That's not to say that all employees in every organization are efficient and proactive at their jobs.   When I see an inefficient operation, it makes me crazy.   But that's more the fault of the managers than it is the employees.    

When I was in school, I worked in retail audio sales.   There were times when sales were slow - no customers.   That didn't mean that I shouldn't have been paid for every minute that I was in the store.    And if the manager needed to talk to me after the end of my official shift, I expected to be paid for that.   If you pay your employees by the hour instead of giving them career jobs with an annual salary, then you should be paying them from shift start to shift end.   None of this "first clock out, then we'll do the security check because we don't trust you."   If those who are defending Apple are correct and the bag check only takes 30 seconds and the average employee makes $10 an hour, then it will only cost Apple 8.3 cents per day, per employee, to pay them what I feel they deserve.

It amazes me that so many people on this site are so hostile to the workers and who couldn't care less whether big companies pay a living wage or not.  Who do you think those workers are?   They're our friends, neighbors and relatives.     

• Reply 272 of 291

Quote:

If you were capable of comprehending my words, you would have gotten them by now. I tried to give you a real response, but you're just regurgitating abstract talking points rather than anything that can be directly applied here. I'll go back to writing real responses when you can provide evidence of an actual thought process.

• Reply 273 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="zoetmb" url="/t/158765/apple-retail-workers-file-class-action-suit-claiming-lost-wages-over-bag-searches/240#post_2373329"]None of this "first clock out, then we'll do the security check because we don't trust you."[/QUOTE]

Nice bit of nonsense you have there.
  • Reply 274 of 291
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    Nice bit of nonsense you have there.

So why are they checking bags?
  • Reply 275 of 291
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If you're not doing work (gossiping, checking personal email, etc) when you're clocked in, then you're stealing from the company.

And anything a company does on my time is stealing from me.
  • Reply 276 of 291
    soloman wrote: »
    And anything a company does on my time is stealing from me.

Exactly so it all evens out in the end.
  • Reply 277 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly so it all evens out in the end.

I pointed out before that your argument means nothing in terms of whether or not that is legal or equitable. Wasting time on the employee end can also mean being fired.

• Reply 278 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I have to disagree.    While I do have some questions/issue about the employees' complaints, which I've detailed in an earlier post, the question is not the efficiency of employees - it's whether the employees should be on the clock when the store takes that action.    If they're not working at an efficient level during their shifts, then their managers should take appropriate action, whether that's having them get training when business is slow, dusting the products, organizing displays, loading new software onto the machines or firing them...whatever.    But that has nothing to do with whether they should be paid during the time it takes to conduct a bag search.    

American workers are actually among the most productive workers in the world.   It's actually that productivity which is killing the workforce, because employers can make do with far fewer employees.   That's why they're not hiring in spite of large companies experiencing record profits.    

That's not to say that all employees in every organization are efficient and proactive at their jobs.   When I see an inefficient operation, it makes me crazy.   But that's more the fault of the managers than it is the employees.    

When I was in school, I worked in retail audio sales.   There were times when sales were slow - no customers.   That didn't mean that I shouldn't have been paid for every minute that I was in the store.    And if the manager needed to talk to me after the end of my official shift, I expected to be paid for that.   If you pay your employees by the hour instead of giving them career jobs with an annual salary, then you should be paying them from shift start to shift end.   None of this "first clock out, then we'll do the security check because we don't trust you."   If those who are defending Apple are correct and the bag check only takes 30 seconds and the average employee makes $10 an hour, then it will only cost Apple 8.3 cents per day, per employee, to pay them what I feel they deserve.

It amazes me that so many people on this site are so hostile to the workers and who couldn't care less whether big companies pay a living wage or not.  Who do you think those workers are?   They're our friends, neighbors and relatives.     

First, I lived it for 15+ years. I am not hostile towards anyone. I am, however, hostile towards people's hypocrisy. When a manager gives you tasks to do during the day and an employee finds time to chat to friends, text, email, surf the web, etc. during that time, they are taking time away from the company. Time a manager can't possibly see all the time. But then, after wasting 1.5 hours per day, on average, they insist, no demand by legal action to get their 30 seconds. That, and only that, is what I am hostile about. 

Why your hostility towards managers? /s Do you  actually think a manager can watch every employee every moment of every day? Managers gives tasks and routinely check up on employees. It is the work ethic of the employee that determines whether they get their work done or not. Do most managers crack whips and stand over their employees all day? No. Any manager that has had the job more than a year accepts that no one will work 100% of the time you are paying them to. 

To all those who think employees can waste 1.5 hours and then demand 30 seconds, how would you feel if a manager was on the floor 100% of the time demanding each person to be 100% productive 100% of the time? After all, that is what they are paying for. 

No once have I had an employee think once about demanding time from the company when we locked up  the store, and every night we locked up after they clocked out (kinda makes sense huh?). They clock out, gather by the door, we wait for the alarm to cycle through, I set the alarm and we go home. I bet that might have been 5 minutes per night. No one complained or was unhappy because of it. Nor was I when a friend of theirs came into the store and talked. It was par of the unwritten give and take of life! 

Unfortunately, Apple will lose and the lawyers will make millions. Apple will invoke some absurd new policy (such as no bags allowed in the store) and life will get less enjoyable for the majority due to the minority. Which is the plight of America! 

• Reply 279 of 291

Quote:

If you were capable of comprehending my words, you would have gotten them by now. I tried to give you a real response, but you're just regurgitating abstract talking points rather than anything that can be directly applied here. I'll go back to writing real responses when you can provide evidence of an actual thought process.

LOL um, okay. 

Every response is real word, actually living it, backed up with statistics on the web (although a deeper search would reveal much more data). You want to fight facts with your feelings and that's okay. 

• Reply 280 of 291

Quote:

LOL um, okay. 

Every response is real word, actually living it, backed up with statistics on the web (although a deeper search would reveal much more data). You want to fight facts with your feelings and that's okay. 

Well I was kind of irritated at the time, and I figured you were too jaded to read everything. I'll try to explain this one more time. Surveys and studies aren't perfect, but they can be representative of patterns at a large scale if they're well executed. Generally there's a margin of error and context provided for review, and even then they have to be interpreted properly. When you start to talk about a specific company, store, or employee, you can't directly apply that randomized data, as your sample group has changed. It went from being the US to a specific company that may perform better or worse than the mean. You can't tell someone they slack off a specific amount of time per day simply because a study suggests that a specific percentage of individuals in the US do so. That is why individuals are generally reviewed on an individual basis. In my opinion your own experiences have impressed a certain amount of bias, which happens to everyone.

The second thing would be whether that data even matters in the context of the lawsuit. As I mentioned they can fire people who waste too much time. Apple may not have the option to hold them there on unpaid time. That may be part of what they are trying to prove. If that's the case, the first topic is unlikely to change anything. They have remedies. Leveraging additional time for bag checks may not be one of them.