Apple retail workers file class action suit claiming lost wages over bag searches

Comments

• Reply 121 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="anantksundaram" url="/t/158765/apple-retail-workers-file-class-action-suit-claiming-lost-wages-over-bag-searches/80#post_2370378"]He said 'female'. Not 'person'.[/QUOTE]

Groan, indeed. The argument is about both genders. Please read the entire argument.
  • Reply 122 of 291
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are going to great lengths to twist logic around here.

The insanity of your statement is beyond compare. This isn't about hitler.

The only thing they are doing here is searching bags. The option to bring in a bag is entirely up to the employee.

Bull crap, employees with sticky fingers are the only reason such policies are enacted. Sure it is a problem for some people to be searched but a rational person would change behavior to minimize the problem.

It happens all the time in many industries. It isn't about being a Nazi. There are many reasons for heavy regulation of the work environment. For example the pharmaceutical industry can be extremely strict about what enters the work place. Even things like makeup on woman can be made illegal.

All I'm going to say here is that all the over 60 white guys with totalitarian tendencies (who apparently don't get Hitler references) are frothing at the mouth and ganging up on the more reasonable, modern, forum members, who realise that people have bags, and if the employer wants you to stay at work for any reason at all, they must pay you. It's the f*cking basis of the whole social contract called "work" for cripes sake. 

You guys don't have logic, reason, or common sense on your side.  You guys keep arguing that it's the employees fault they are being searched. Based on … (reason?)  When in fact it's the employers choice to search them.  The employers don't have the right to force searches on their employees and then make the employee pay for the search.  It's categorically NOT the employees fault.  They are not the reason they are being searched, the employer has chosen to search them.  

To get back to Hitler … your argument is like saying "We aren't giving the prisoners of war blankets because it costs too much, it's their fault they got captured anyway."  And then you're sort of adding in ..."**** them, they are probably all dirty thieves anyway." for good measure.  

The whole lot of you should check in the bathroom mirror for tiny black moustaches under your nose. 

• Reply 123 of 291
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Any time you are required to be at work (like lining up for bag searches) you should be compensated for your time.

What about employees that have to pass through security screening checkpoints to get to their desk?  Are they paid for that time?

What if I work at a very large office on a large campus and it takes me 10 minutes to walk from my car to my desk so that I can be there to work 9-5?  Should I get paid from 8:50-5:10 because of the time that I'm required to be walking on campus from my car to my desk?

Also, are these employees required to bring bags to work which then require inspection?  No, they're not.  Case closed!

• Reply 124 of 291
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    And yet not a single one of you can prove that people actually carry bags, much less that they are somehow magically forced to carry said bags into their place of employment. All you can do is bandy insults and ludicrous statements about the pockets on women's pants.

This. Case. Has. No. Hope.

Are you serious?
  • Reply 125 of 291
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    All I'm going to say here is that all the over 60 white guys with totalitarian tendencies (who apparently don't get Hitler references) are frothing at the mouth and ganging up on the more reasonable, modern, forum members, who realise that people have bags, and if the employer wants you to stay at work for any reason at all, they must pay you. It's the f*cking basis of the whole social contract called "work" for cripes sake. 

You guys don't have logic, reason, or common sense on your side.  You guys keep arguing that it's the employees fault they are being searched. Based on … (reason?)  When in fact it's the employers choice to search them.  The employers don't have the right to force searches on their employees and then make the employee pay for the search.  It's categorically NOT the employees fault.  They are not the reason they are being searched, the employer has chosen to search them.  

To get back to Hitler … your argument is like saying "We aren't giving the prisoners of war blankets because it costs too much, it's their fault they got captured anyway."  And then you're sort of adding in ..."**** them, they are probably all dirty thieves anyway." for good measure.  

The whole lot of you should check in the bathroom mirror for tiny black moustaches under your nose. 

Godwin, yikes.

You're really comparing this trivial thing with one of the WORST things in human history?

Chill out.

You have a limited world view and assume people are just like they are where you live. I know very few people with bags.

Considering that the lawsuit is likely an exaggeration as, if true, they'd be violating a whole host of state laws regarding breaks, and likely it's only a minute or two being "wasted", it's not totalitarian or unique for Apple to perform these searches.
  • Reply 126 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Just a pet peeve...Why is Apple always referred to as "the iPhone maker". Well never mind they make all kinds of other successful products too. Can you editors come up with something else to describe Apple other than the maker of the iPhone?

I totally agree. It doesn't bother me too much, I guess, but AI, how about just using the word "Apple"? Seems like a no brainer to me! Why must we try to come up with alternatives when we can just say the name of the company!

• Reply 127 of 291
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Groan, indeed. The argument is about both genders. Please read the entire argument.

I've read the entire argument, and you've lost it.

C'mon, TS. Take a deep breath. Or a walk. Or something.
  • Reply 128 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Yep. Here are the main points, all in true statements.

1) People carry bags.
    2) People do not have to carry bags.
    3) People can carry bags into work at Apple.
    4) People do not have to carry bags into work at Apple.
    5) Bags are not required for work at Apple.
    6) People who carry bags into work at Apple are subject to search.
    7) People who do not carry bags into work at Apple are not subject to search.
    8) If people do not want to be searched, they should not carry bags into work at Apple.

Any further confusion? Now for the only point of contention.

9) As bags are not required for work at Apple, the search through bags carried into work at Apple is off the clock, as the activity is not a required part of work done at Apple.
    I've read the entire argument

Your own posts disprove that. :no:
  • Reply 129 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You are posting in the working day I see ?

I have my own business. 

• Reply 130 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Really? No!

Jesus!

Well then what is the difference from stealing from your boss vs. your boss stealing from you (as so many have put it)

• Reply 131 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Poor wording on my part.

I meant "their" productivity.

Are you suggesting that being they still get paid and or promoted that justifies them from stealing time? 

• Reply 132 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by denobin View Post

Idle time is the nature of retail. Sometimes it's busy, other times not. When not, there are usually plenty of things to do, but sometimes there are not. Employees are compensated based on their time, busy or not. It's disingenuous to claim that they should trade their "idle time" for a mandatory check. The manager is derelict if his employees are insufficiently busy; he should be tasking them or reduce staff levels. If the claims are true, then the claimants should prevail.

There is always something to do in any business so idle time is a myth. Yes, if they are so willing to stand there and do nothing, knowing something can be being done, then they should not cry when they are asked to wait 5 minutes for a bad check.

That's being a hypocrite! 

Quote:

I challenge any of you who still think the employees are being cry babies to voluntarily calculate how much time you waste during the day and give back that portion of your wages or salary. Go ahead, I'll wait...

Didn't think so. Hypocrites, every one of you.

Most reports estimate 6 - 6.5 hours of productivity per 8 hours worked per day from employees. Yet they complain about 5 minute bag check. And no, its not the act of giving money back, its the act of stealing 1.5 hours and demanding 5 minutes. 

That's being a hypocrite! 

• Reply 133 of 291

10-15 minutes is enough time to do a full cavity search, take a verbal lie detector test, and take a blood sample.

• Reply 134 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

10-15 minutes is enough time to do a full cavity search, take a verbal lie detector test, and take a blood sample.

If a manager was actually taking 10-15 minutes to check a bag, I'd stop bringing in the bag. But I doubt that is true, from experience, and bet that is just sensationalism. 

• Reply 135 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I just don't understand the pettiness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

This seems like a pretty basic issue for Apple to get hung up on.

Enforcement is a deterrent. Do you understand deterrence?

• Reply 136 of 291
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Doubt employees are doing this. More likely this pays better than ambulance chasing.
  • Reply 137 of 291
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Sorry Apple, I am a fanboy and even I can see that clearly is a no-no. Bag searches are ok on the clock, but not off the clock. May not have been an issue if you do not put the employee through a 15 minute wait.
  • Reply 138 of 291

Are you suggesting that being they still get paid and or promoted that justifies them from stealing time? 

No.

It seems to me that you perhaps have a reading comprehension issue that goes beyond my original poorly worded (subsequently corrected) post.
  • Reply 139 of 291
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I dont know, I really dont know what to say.

But my guess is that every employees in the world working in restaurant or food services chain will get some SIGNIFICANTLY pay rise if this gets pass, or even personnel working in Hotels. And many others working in other sectors.

Its both a good thing and a bad thing.

The good thing is those who really did the "work" during non working hours and actually "working" will finally get paid more.

The bad thing this is coming from those who didn't actually "work" and was asking for compensation because they are still in "working place" for bag searches.
  • Reply 140 of 291
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Here are the main points, all in true statements.

1) People carry bags.

2) People do not have to carry bags.

3) People can carry bags into work at Apple.

4) People do not have to carry bags into work at Apple.

5) Bags are not required for work at Apple.

6) People who carry bags into work at Apple are subject to search.

7) People who do not carry bags into work at Apple are not subject to search.

8) If people do not want to be searched, they should not carry bags into work at Apple.

Any further confusion? Now for the only point of contention.

9) As bags are not required for work at Apple, the search through bags carried into work at Apple is off the clock, as the activity is not a required part of work done at Apple.

Your own posts disprove that. image

You. Are. Never. Ever. Wrong. About. Anything. And. Even. If. You. Are. You. Will. Never. Ever. Admit. It.

Unbelievable.