Wacom debuts pro-level pressure sensitive Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Wacom on Monday announced the Intuos Creative Stylus pressure-sensitive "digital pen" for iPad, which is designed to work in conjunction with supported apps to bring a more natural drawing experience to Apple's tablet lineup.

Intuos Stylus

The Intuos Stylus has advanced Wacom pressure sensing technology built in, making dynamic sketching and drawing on the iPad more accurate and seamless than similar products currently available.

Compatible with the third and fourth generation iPad, as well as the iPad mini, Wacom's stylus connects via Bluetooth 4.0 and allows for pressure-sensitive input with intelligent palm rejection in supported apps. Wacom notes the Creative Stylus supports the company's latest Bamboo Paper app as well as Autodesk SketchBook Pro, ArtRage, ProCreate and Psykopaint.

While the digital pen isn't positioned to replace the company's Cintiq 13HD connected tablet, it does offer a number of features over a normal capacitive stylus. Most notable is a level of pressure sensitivity normally reserved for professional products. The Intuos Stylus can detect 2,048 pressure levels, identical to Wacom's Intuos and Cintiq product lines, allowing artists to vary the size and shape of drawn lines on the fly. In addition, Wacom says the stylus adds a "realistic pen-on-paper" feel.

There are already pressure sensitive digital pens made for iPad, such as Ten One Design's Pogo Connect and the Adonit Jot Touch, but Wacom's forthcoming stylus appears to have the highest number of recognizable pressure levels, suggesting a higher level of accuracy.

Wacom's Intuos Creative Stylus will first be offered by Best Buy in October for $99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Coooool!
  • Reply 2 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Ooh. I may have to get one of these. Finally a proper stylus for a proper 'screen behind the touch surface' tablet.

Compatible with the third and fourth generation iPad

And… I'll just stick with my Intuos 4 medium, I guess.

• Reply 3 of 46
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I like Wacom's stuff generally, but how can it be "accurate" when the end of it is the size of a baby's finger?
  • Reply 4 of 46

Will it work on PDFs/Pages/KN/Numbers -- e.g., being able to write on slides?

• Reply 5 of 46
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Well at least someone can innovate. Too bad Apple can't recognize that there are a lot of people who would use a stylus with an iPad, just like they originally failed to recognize that people would play games on iPhones and iPad. In the later Newton versions, digitizer support and handwriting recognition were actually pretty good. If Apple put half the effort they have into Siri they could add decent stylus and handwriting recognition in iOS and still maintain all the convenience using your fingers gives you when you are dealing with a small device like an iPhone. Apple used to be about empowering people with tools to create, not just consume. Lately it does not seem that way. I have a Wacom tablet and look forward to seeing if this new stylus will help make the iPad a decent creative tool.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    The Cintiq 13HD is not a "standalone tablet". You connect it to machine, same as with the other Cintiqs.

I love my Cintiq 22HD Touch. That said, Wacom just pushed me over the upgrade-from-the-ipad2 cliff. Been hanging on, but this is it. Might wait for the retina mini though.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If the software in question supports it, of course. Should work well in those cases. I don't see how this stylus could/would create a layer of special software injected into anything you could use to open a file.

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Well at least someone can innovate. Too bad Apple can't recognize that there are a lot of people who would use a stylus with an iPad, just like they originally failed to recognize that people would play games on iPhones and iPad.

I dunno… this sounds a lot like total crap.

• Reply 8 of 46
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Oh nice! Think I might have to go for this!

Oh, now I see iPad 3 and up. Hmmm. Maybe next year.
  • Reply 9 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If the software in question supports it, of course. Should work well in those cases

I am not following you here -- must be feeling a bit slow today!

When you say "should work well in those cases," do you mean it works well in the "cases" of PDF/KN/Pages/Numbers (to which I referred), or do you mean "the software in question [that] supports it" to which you refer (in which case, it would be a somewhat tautological statement).

• Reply 10 of 46
    hex3hex3 Posts: 2member
    @cornchip The Hex3 JaJa works with all older iPads and Android tablets - doesn't use Bluetooth.

For the pressure sensitivity to work the App developers will need to support their SDK. For example, the JaJa stylus is integrated with about 40 Apps for iOS and Android.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

I am not following you here -- must be feeling a bit slow today!

When you say "should work well in those cases," do you mean it works well in the "cases" of PDF/KN/Pages/Numbers (to which I referred), or do you mean "the software in question [that] supports it" to which you refer (in which case, it would be a somewhat tautological statement).

The pen will work across the entire operating system and with all apps - it will just appear as a finger touch... what may or may not be supported is the pressure sensitivity. The drawing apps mentioned in the article all connect to the pen over Bluetooth to detect the pressure of the pen at any given point in the drawing region.

• Reply 12 of 46
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I like Wacom's stuff generally, but how can it be "accurate" when the end of it is the size of a baby's finger?

They may have exchangeable nibs ?
    There normal drawing pads do.
  • Reply 13 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

They may have exchangeable nibs ?

There normal drawing pads do.

looks like they do have exchangeable knobs - but if x/y accuracy is limited by capacitive touch - then its no use for technical sketching - even with pressure. Bet oyu cannot easily and precisely extend a previously drawn line.

• Reply 14 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Oh nice! Think I might have to go for this!

Oh, now I see iPad 3 and up. Hmmm. Maybe next year.

becuae its bluetooth 4.0 so only later iPads. BT4.0 is so much faster connecting, and better than BT2 or BT3  

• Reply 15 of 46
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I stopped playing draw something because I got tired of fingerprinting
  • Reply 16 of 46
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    hex3 wrote: »
    @cornchip The Hex3 JaJa works with all older iPads

Yeah, my boss got that the other day, and I was pretty impressed. However, because it uses high frequency, the 3d printer will interfere with it and cause it to act irraticly. And as I work right next to the fab room the drills and grinders would probably fritz it out. Think ill just sell my 2 next year and get the latest and greatest and one of these wacoms. If they don't suck of course.
    becuae its bluetooth 4.0 so only later iPads. BT4.0 is so much faster connecting, and better than BT2 or BT3  

Yes, I get all that, thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 46

Quote:

Once the application is made aware of the stylus it will work on those apps. I have a strong hunch that we'll see a lot of announced apps that are aware of this stylus on Sep 10th. It's no accident that the stylus has just been announced today. LORD, over 2000 pressure levels!!

• Reply 18 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

looks like they do have exchangeable knobs - but if x/y accuracy is limited by capacitive touch - then its no use for technical sketching - even with pressure. Bet oyu cannot easily and precisely extend a previously drawn line.

Most people can't do that with a Bic pen and a ruler.

• Reply 19 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Well at least someone can innovate.  [crap]

Too bad Apple can't recognize that there are a lot of people who would use a stylus with an iPad, just like they originally failed to recognize that people would play games on iPhones and iPad.    [DOUBLE crap]

In the later Newton versions, digitizer support and handwriting recognition were actually pretty good. If Apple put half the effort they have into Siri they could add decent stylus and handwriting recognition in iOS and still maintain all the convenience using your fingers gives you when you are dealing with a small device like an iPhone.   [Loooong winded crap]

Apple used to be about empowering people with tools to create, not just consume.  [TOTAL crap]

Lately it does not seem that way.  [pitiful crap... boo-hoo]

I have a Wacom tablet and look forward to seeing if this new stylus will help make the iPad a decent creative tool.  [well, la-de-dah crap]

Be sure to wipe and flush when you get ready to log out.

• Reply 20 of 46
    hex3hex3 Posts: 2member

The bigger problem is the fat rubber tip is flexible and deforms, so the pressure sensing is variable. see the video here:

http://blog.hex3.co/2013/07/sketch-test-pressure-sensitive-stylus-shootout-review/