WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]

Comments

• Reply 141 of 161
    I just want to point out that the whole lack of buttons and gestures is already being done and it is not new.  Samsung has some gestures currently in their Android implementation (It is called TouchWiz - not  fan of this one - I prefer HTC's "Sense" version) and the bezel disappearing is practically here and has been for some time in the Android market.

Also note that Google's recommendation (for some time) is that there are no physical buttons and that they be replaced by virtual buttons (which I've had on my phone for nearly 2 years).  

I think the largest problem on this site is that the vocal minority shout down anyone who tries to show what most people know:  Apple has fallen behind and they need to get back in the game.  You can dicker on word definitions about what is 'copying' or cry about how some companies mimicked/copied/were inspired by another UI but when it comes down to it, people should be concerned that they are getting a great product for what they are paying for it.  Especially if you are paying a premium for said phone.

There is no point debating with people who use dictionaries to make their points because they are missing the big picture which is this:   Apple designed something great with the iPhone. Acknowledged.  They lead the pack for a few years but are now so focused on suing people and calling out others that they have gone away from what they used to do best.  They are also too proud to admit mistakes and as a result they have been slow to keep up with the market.   "People don't want a 7 inch tablet", "4 inch phone is the optimal size", "We don't want multiple versions of our phones".. blah blah.. I'm paraphrasing yet but the point is Apple has gone back on every single one of these statements and they are going to do more.   I suspect they will finally cave on their "our keyboard is perfect" statement because let's face it, it is painful to use an iPhone to type after you've used Swype or another similar keyboard.

Apple needs to compete and they first have to catch up where they are deficient and due to the fierce competition on the Android + BB and WP, they have a tough job in front of them.  Apple is not going to the first to release the flex displays because it will be LG or Samsung.  Apple may beat everyone with the first projector enabled phone but that  is up in the air.

I ask only that you try to look at the technology objectively.  We've all been wrong in our lives and will be again but you need to admit when you are wrong.  Apple will release a larger iPhone and just like you were all wrong about the iPhone 5c ("It will never happen", "that's not Apple!", etc...), you will be wrong on this and you will continue to put down smart and insightful people on this site.

It's so refreshing to read an intelligent and articulate post.

With more posters like you, we might just salvage this site for those who are genuinely interested in intelligent debate about Apple products and the tech industry.
  • Reply 142 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

If I remember correctly Palm was the first post-iPhone smartphone to use an entirely touch sensitive front panel that surrounded their multitouch screen?

A novel concept is one that no one else has conceived of before you. I doubt no one has thought of adding touch detection to an entire front panel. It's more a design decision rather than an innovation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Anyway my point was with the screen tech available today Apple is likely planning on completely overturning the market with their larger iPhone.

It won't look like an HTC or Samsung. It will be the ultimate minimalist look with no buttons or distractions at the front of the phone.

I agree that, if Apple goes the big screen route, they will do it differently. But I am not sure about doing away with buttons and *distractions*. For one thing, the home button is now a fingerprint scanner. For another, some of those so-called distractions include a front camera, microphone and speaker, all of which are best located on the front. Finally, to repeat myself, making the front nothing but a touchscreen is a design decision and not an innovation, unless you can think of a heretofore unheard of application that can only work with *no distraction*.

• Reply 143 of 161
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You are the biggest troll ever.  On any website.

Hilarious. And I'm the one lying about Apple, apparently.

• Reply 144 of 161
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

You are the biggest troll ever.  On any website.

Please don't feed the troll(s).  Trolls thrive off of the attention.  ;)

• Reply 145 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Please don't feed the troll(s).  Trolls thrive off of the attention.  ;)

I wish the mods would permanently ban him/her.

• Reply 146 of 161

I wish the mods would permanently ban him/her.

So you can just go around and do nothing but lie about Apple with no one to call you out on it? Good luck with that.

• Reply 147 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you can just go around and do nothing but lie about Apple with no one to call you out on it? Good luck with that.

You still didn't specify my lie.  That's likely because there was no lie.  At worst, I gave my opinion in saying that Google Now is generally superior to Siri.  Surely you aren't hung up on my saying that Siri was the last innovative software added to iOS.  What did iOS 6 bring to the table?

Maps - not innovative

Passbook - not innovative

Facebook integration - not innovative

Did I miss any major software features from iOS 6?  Do you disagree with me that those features are not innovative?  If so, how? You can disagree with me on everything as long as you tell me a reason better than "because".

• Reply 148 of 161
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    You can't be this dense.
    Would != is.

Hypothesising != stating fact.

Fundamental difference, and it seems this is the difficulty you are having in differentiating opinion and discussion from lies.

And thanks for acknowledging your mistake in accusing me of saying something I never said. Oh wait... Lies.
  • Reply 149 of 161
    jungmark wrote: »
    "Invent" is not the word I'd use. All Sammy did was add a diagonal inch to an existing shape. Are you gonna credit LG for "inventing" a 60" TV? Or another company for making a taller fridge?
    I think there's an interesting distinction to be made, and it's not unlike the problem that some people had with the iPad, saying it was just a big iPod touch. In a sense that's right, it is, and the Note is just a big Galaxy S, or just a small Galaxy Tab, but the size difference means a substantial difference in how the thing is used. I'm not a particular fan of the phablet size but clearly it does allow for some use cases that put it as a happy medium between phone and tablet. The large-ish screen allows for dual-apps on screen, a better canvas for using the stylus for annotation, a better reading environment than a phone, with more portability than the tablet, and probably more (ask someone who has one for more, I'm no expert). Disagree with the specifics if you want, but many would disagree with you, so I think that, and the sales, and the many criticisms of Apple's absence from the phablet space makes it worthy of some credit.

Maybe it's just a fortuitous effect of a try-every-size strategy, but how Samsung got there isn't particularly important. They are there and they are generally accepted as being the first there, which is what counts.
  • Reply 150 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I've been anticipating a gap-filling 6" device from Apple for some time. The "iPad Nano" perhaps?

Eventually: 13" iPad "Pro", 10" iPad, 8" iPad Mini, 6" iPad "Nano" (hybrid phone/pad?), 4" iPhone, 4" iPod Touch%u2026

That 6" middle-ground device could incorporate their evolving voice-based communication (FaceTime, now with the Audio-only feature coming with iOS7), or provide a cellular-based voice option. Either way, between FaceTime and Skype, not much prevents a person from using any iOS device as a 'phone'. Perhaps this will take that further.

By the time it might release, I also see no reason to need to put it up to your head (like a handset). Headphones, bluetooth headset, speaker%u2026 for some even a 'smart watch' option might work. Plenty of options to easily imagine there.

I like the potential in any case!

Also a 2'' watch, and a 27'' tablet for artists and managers (you have to see all these rows in Excel for iPad), and of course the 200'' Apple iSurface. Totally agree. /s

• Reply 151 of 161
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Would != is.

Now you're pretending tense changes the implication? Seriously? Just shut up. 

• Reply 152 of 161
    Of course it does. I can hypothesise any number of things Apple could do and analyse what the implications of those things might be. Doing that doesn't mean Apple are doing such a thing, or even that I think they are. It's called thinking and discussing, both of which you seem unable to do in a polite and respectful manner.

What an absurd lack of appreciation of context you have. And you now haven't offered proof of your claims, haven't apologised for claiming I said something I didn't, and you're attempting to refute grammar. Where exactly are you going to stop?
  • Reply 153 of 161
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Doing that doesn't mean Apple are doing such a thing, or even that I think they are.

Except that's exactly what was stated.

And you now haven't offered proof of your claims…

I dunno, I figured you weren't so lazy as to not be able to visit two websites to corroborate them.

• Reply 154 of 161
    No it wasn't, and refrigerators have nothing to do with phablets.

Shut up with this antagonistic jibba-jabba, you're not achieving anything.
  • Reply 155 of 161

Any particular reason why one of my posts was deleted?

Well here's a screencap of it for everyone's long-term viewing pleasure.

• Reply 156 of 161

• Reply 157 of 161

• Reply 158 of 161
    Originally Posted by wakefinance

Reposting a deleted post has never been a good idea. I like your 'smackdown' assessment, particularly because you remain wrong thereon.

• Reply 159 of 161
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Reposting a deleted post has never been a good idea. I like your 'smackdown' assessment, particularly because you remain wrong thereon.

Haha are you the one who keeps deleting it?

• Reply 160 of 161
    Originally Posted by wakefinance

Haha are you the one who keeps deleting it?

Maybe just don't post it again.